ImageImageImage

where do the Cavs land on your crystal ball ?

Moderator: ijspeelman

Where do they pick this time? 7th is the greatest odds

13%
20%
27%
20%
No votes
7%
13%
No votes
No votes

Total votes: 15

jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,172

Re: where do the Cavs land on your crystal ball ? 

Post#41 » by jbk1234 » Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:49 am

VanWest82 wrote:#3 + Love for Siakam + 22 FRP
No chance.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using RealGM mobile app
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#42 » by jbk1234 » Wed Jun 23, 2021 11:49 am

Stillwater wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:
Stillwater wrote:If the Cavs trade anything it will be down from 3 to 5 and 8 with Orlando imo.
They could maybe figure out a deal to get Okeke or Hampton in the process.
I dont think there will be any shortage of offers for the pick given one of Suggs or Green are highly likley to be there.
I also would not put it past Koby FKN Altman to draft one of them and not trade either Sexland or Okoro.
I want Kuminga or Barnes badly for this roster if they dont make any trades and really are committed to Sexland.
I don't see too many ways Mobley falls.
If Altman trades out of the top 3 for anyone not named Jaylen Brown, I just don't know man.

I mean 5 still gets them 1 of Barnes or Kuminga most likely so I could see it if those are their fit picks esp also getting 8
It's a 4 player draft. They're not moving back to 5. Barnes and Kuminga are entire tier down.

cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
JonFromVA
RealGM
And1: 4,392

Post#43 » by JonFromVA » Wed Jun 23, 2021 2:27 pm

LivingLegend wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:
Harper4Ferry? wrote:#3, Green?
Yep. Unless someone comes in with a stupid offer for Suggs.

Alright, Ive spent 45 mins reading/watching everything about Green. He sounds really good but the biggest comparison a lot of writers seem to make is Zach Lavine--who took 7 years to go from raw talent to putting it all together. Many believe that will be the same process for Green because he is incredibly raw talent that doesnt know much else besides get the ball and score.

Apparently his negatives is that 1) He has no feel for the game 2) Hes a bad defender that gives little effort and 3) Hes doesnt pass much and lacks play making for others.

So it sounds like he is a dynamic scorer that does little else and it will depend on if he develops in other areas for him to be successful. One article said that he could go two ways-- Zack Lavine or Terrance Ross but either way its going to take him a few years to develop and will likely be best served in a 6th man role for a few seasons.

Just have to be very careful given how little defense is usually played at the G-League level, let alone by a player biding his time until the draft. Hopefully someone gets him on the scales, though, because if he's still 180lb that's like Garland as a rook in a 4-5" taller package. That's going to be an impediment for him in the short-term.

fwiw, Green's standing reach was measured within 1/2" of Isaac's.
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#44 » by JonFromVA » Wed Jun 23, 2021 2:42 pm

LivingLegend wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:
Harper4Ferry? wrote:#3, Prince(or Cedi)(or even Nance) for #7/14/Wiseman?
No. Stop this. It's a 4 player draft if you're higher on Suggs than I am.

For what it's worth, Chris Fedor had back to back tweets saying 1) The Cavs draft room went "YESSS" and 2) No one should rule out Suggs

Not sure if he knows anything but he does seem to know inside details about what the Cavs are looking to do most of the time.

I do believe Fedor is fed stuff directly by the Cavs FO; but we still have to sort out things he was told, things he was told as a smokescreen, and things he's just conjecturing about.
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#45 » by JonFromVA » Wed Jun 23, 2021 3:02 pm

LivingLegend wrote:
Stillwater wrote:
LivingLegend wrote:
After reading the article that came out yesterday about everybody in the Cavs front office gushing over Garland and think he is a Super Star in the making---hes not going anywhere.

Sexton is the obvious trade candidate but idk who would really want him or what his value would be. It seems like the Cavs like Sexton more than the rest of the league likes Sexton.

Klutch inspired Garland trade bait you watch

Nah, it cited what players, assistant coaches from other teams, commentators and current Cavs players were saying about Garland.

Apparently the Cavs received compliments all the time after games from players/coaches on the other team about how good Garland is going to be. They cited Draymond Green and Bradley Beal then also cited Sam Cassell, Vince Carter, Phil Handy and God Shammgod making it a point to bring up how good Garland looks to the Cavs coaching staff.

One Cavs player apparently texted the writer and said "I'm high on Darius, I think he's the best of our young core"

Ultimately it's not about the amount of praise each player gets, all 4 players in our young core have shown promise and growth as well as flaws. The Cavs need to be careful not to fire sale talent just to carve out playing time.

But we can't avoid the fact that Collin's contract is coming due first, and it's easier to build a team around a 6'1" player that can actually play PG and has already demonstrated he has a clue what he's supposed to be doing in the team's systems.

Otoh, we're still looking for franchise caliber players, and we don't know for sure whether we'll get one in this draft or if we already have one on the roster. I personally will not be upset if the Cavs decide to invest another season in to seeing what we've got, but it would mean we'd need to follow jbk1234's path and be very careful with Collin's extension to make sure he remains an asset we can trade if necessary.
LivingLegend
Head Coach
And1: 7,745

Post#46 » by LivingLegend » Wed Jun 23, 2021 3:07 pm

JonFromVA wrote:
LivingLegend wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:Yep. Unless someone comes in with a stupid offer for Suggs.

Alright, Ive spent 45 mins reading/watching everything about Green. He sounds really good but the biggest comparison a lot of writers seem to make is Zach Lavine--who took 7 years to go from raw talent to putting it all together. Many believe that will be the same process for Green because he is incredibly raw talent that doesnt know much else besides get the ball and score.

Apparently his negatives is that 1) He has no feel for the game 2) Hes a bad defender that gives little effort and 3) Hes doesnt pass much and lacks play making for others.

So it sounds like he is a dynamic scorer that does little else and it will depend on if he develops in other areas for him to be successful. One article said that he could go two ways-- Zack Lavine or Terrance Ross but either way its going to take him a few years to develop and will likely be best served in a 6th man role for a few seasons.

Just have to be very careful given how little defense is usually played at the G-League level, let alone by a player biding his time until the draft. Hopefully someone gets him on the scales, though, because if he's still 180lb that's like Garland as a rook in a 4-5" taller package. That's going to be an impediment for him in the short-term.

fwiw, Green's standing reach was measured within 1/2" of Isaac's.

Yeah that was another thing against him was his frame. He's apparently incredibly thin and because of that he will get pushed around a ton in the lane.

So yeah, either way the main takeaway from reading up about green I had is that he is much more of a project and "if all the balls bounce correctly" type of player. People love his upside but seems like a boom or bust type of prospect
Stillwater
RealGM
And1: 3,655

Post#47 » by Stillwater » Wed Jun 23, 2021 4:56 pm

Here is the thing for me actually a few things:
Sexton rumors are off the hook and unrealistic as hell all of which imo are rooted in false naratives.
The scrutiny of the Sexland pairing after another losing season ( which was for far more reasons than that) is the main cause followed by the impending contract extension.
These same rumors now that the Cavs have a great chance to add Suggs or Green at 3 are being amped up more also from the outside imo.
Sexton about to get a max offer sheet in RFA imo if they do draft another guard that I would imagine Altman will match and not lose him for nothing is yet another reason people on the outside think they should trade him etc etc
imo all this Garland is the guy bs will fade fast after this draft is over regardless of what happens with Sexton.
Nobody on this roster is a franchise cornerstone and the idea that the Cavs would trade Sexton without better reasons
than are being presented such as Suggs or Green being upgrades are stupid as f.
Green seems like the kind of personality that would make Koby trade him for a top55 protected in a year
Suggs seems like the kind of guard you want running the offense not running around with nothing to offer.
I would be absolutely shocked is the Cavs trade Sexton at all given they are sitting pretty to take the best forward or one equally as impressive long term at 3. They could however see Green as such a dynamic upside scorer that they just take him but I doubt it.
SUNDOWN BRINGS A WELCOME CHANGE TO EVERYTHING THAT'S HIDING
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#48 » by jbk1234 » Wed Jun 23, 2021 5:30 pm

Stillwater wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:
Stillwater wrote:If the Cavs trade anything it will be down from 3 to 5 and 8 with Orlando imo.
They could maybe figure out a deal to get Okeke or Hampton in the process.
I dont think there will be any shortage of offers for the pick given one of Suggs or Green are highly likley to be there.
I also would not put it past Koby FKN Altman to draft one of them and not trade either Sexland or Okoro.
I want Kuminga or Barnes badly for this roster if they dont make any trades and really are committed to Sexland.
I don't see too many ways Mobley falls.
If Altman trades out of the top 3 for anyone not named Jaylen Brown, I just don't know man.

I mean 5 still gets them 1 of Barnes or Kuminga most likely so I could see it if those are their fit picks esp also getting 8

Both Barnes and Kuminga have lower ceilings and are worse fits. Neither can shoot. I don't get you both wanting to keep Sexton and wanting to take guys that would shrink the floor for him.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
LivingLegend
Head Coach

Post#49 » by LivingLegend » Wed Jun 23, 2021 5:46 pm

Well, this should be a fun month or two lol I guess one option is for the Rockets to fall on love with Green which then Mobley would slide to #3. Then you have this whole overlapping with Allen/Nance/Love narrative.

I love that the Cavs have a great pick, I would love it more if there were some really good SFs at the top.

I feel like the last few drafts are just littered with guards or 'modern day bigs' at the top. Which is where the cavs keep getting pigeon holed into roster redundancy
MAGICian619
Bench Warmer
And1: 888

Post#50 » by MAGICian619 » Wed Jun 23, 2021 5:56 pm

Magic can offer 5+8 or 5+Bamba for 3. Grab the SF you need in Kuminga.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#51 » by jbk1234 » Wed Jun 23, 2021 6:01 pm

LivingLegend wrote:Well, this should be a fun month or two lol I guess one option is for the Rockets to fall on love with Green which then Mobley would slide to #3. Then you have this whole overlapping with Allen/Nance/Love narrative.

I love that the Cavs have a great pick, I would love it more if there were some really good SFs at the top.

I feel like the last few drafts are just littered with guards or 'modern day bigs' at the top. Which is where the cavs keep getting pigeon holed into roster redundancy

Kevin Love should have less than zero to do with who the Cavs decide to draft. Also, I like the idea of Mobley, or even Green, developing off the bench for at least the first half their rookie seasons (probably longer with the big man). I'm tired of starting guys who aren't ready to play in the NBA and having it impact the entire starting unit.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
LivingLegend
Head Coach

Post#52 » by LivingLegend » Wed Jun 23, 2021 6:08 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
LivingLegend wrote:Well, this should be a fun month or two lol I guess one option is for the Rockets to fall on love with Green which then Mobley would slide to #3. Then you have this whole overlapping with Allen/Nance/Love narrative.

Kevin Love should have less than zero to do with who the Cavs decide to draft. Also, I like the idea of Mobley, or even Green, developing off the bench for at least the first half their rookie seasons (probably longer with the big man). I'm tired of starting guys who aren't ready to play in the NBA and having it impact the entire starting unit.

Fair but people make it out to be that pairing Mobley/Allen would run into the same issues as Garland/Sexton. Similar to the issues with Drummond/Allen.

I really don't care either way, just get the highest upside player possible. It might make sense for whoever they draft to come off the bench for a little while but it doesn't seem like Cavs are interested in doing that

It sounds like they want somebody who can help the team out immediately and contribute to a real playoff push. I honestly think it's more likely they trade the pick for a proven player than keep it at this point.
Revenged25
Analyst
And1: 1,002

Post#53 » by Revenged25 » Wed Jun 23, 2021 6:39 pm

LivingLegend wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:

Fair but people make it out to be that pairing Mobley/Allen would run into the same issues as Garland/Sexton. Similar to the issues with Drummond/Allen.

I really don't care either way, just get the highest upside player possible. It might make sense for whoever they draft to come off the bench for a little while but it doesn't seem like Cavs are interested in doing that

It sounds like they want somebody who can help the team out immediately and contribute to a real playoff push. I honestly think it's more likely they trade the pick for a proven player than keep it at this point.

The Drummond/Allen issue is because neither could play on the perimeter effectively and switching onto guards/forwards. One of Mobley's selling points is that he would be able to play on the perimeter and switch onto guards/forwards without being destroyed. If that's the case then the main issue with Mobley would be spacing, but they can teach him to shoot 3s if he's not already doing it.

I think the Green issue gets blown out of proportion too. I think if Green is the pick then rather than decide on someone's specific role, swap it up based on the opponent. Oh they can't abuse a small backcourt, cool Sexton starts. Oh they don't have a dominant wing scorer, cool Green starts over Okoro. Oh they have two dominant wing players that need stopped, cool we'll start Okoro + Nance over Sexton and Green. Granted that last one requires Okoro or Nance to become better offensively.
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#54 » by JonFromVA » Wed Jun 23, 2021 6:57 pm

LivingLegend wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:

Mobley weights 218lbs? Sounds like he can spend some time as a toothpick PF before we'd need to worry about playing him at C.

He can get in line behind Okoro working on his jump shot.

We wasted this last season, we have no "bubble performance" to offer hope the team is on the verge of contending, we have no cap space, LeBron isn't returning.

Koby's job may be on the line, but it's too early to push the pedal to the metal short of something crazy like Luka or Zion demanding to be traded and being open to playing for the Cavs.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#55 » by Stillwater » Wed Jun 23, 2021 7:51 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
Stillwater wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:If Altman trades out of the top 3 for anyone not named Jaylen Brown, I just don't know man.

Both Barnes and Kuminga have lower ceilings and are worse fits. Neither can shoot. I don't get you both wanting to keep Sexton and wanting to take guys that would shrink the floor for him.

I don't agree at all about the ceiling comment esp Kuminga. and Barnes is clearly more impactful defensively than anyone we have even if he requires another move to get a true shooting specialist later.
Green seems like the more entertaining prospect that may or may not ever actually be a legit 1st option either it just seems unlikely they take him unless they already have plans to not pay Sexton or to bring one of them off the bench.
LivingLegend
Head Coach

Post#56 » by LivingLegend » Wed Jun 23, 2021 8:24 pm

Stillwater wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:
Stillwater wrote:I mean 5 still gets them 1 of Barnes or Kuminga most likely so I could see it if those are their fit picks esp also getting 8

I don't agree at all about the ceiling comment esp Kuminga. and Barnes is clearly more impactful defensively than anyone we have even if he requires another move to get a true shooting specialist later.
Green seems like the more entertaining prospect that may or may not ever actually be a legit 1st option either it just seems unlikely they take him unless they already have plans to not pay Sexton or to bring one of them off the bench.

Im sick and tired of drafting guys who cant shoot and then spending 3 years teaching them how to shoot.

The Cavs need the closest thing to a 3/D guy as they can get considering those are the Cavs 2 biggest weaknesses. I would trade the Suns the #3 pick + Love for Mikal Bridges right now lol We need a Mikal Bridges, THAT type of player is exactly what this team needs. Or a guy like Kevin Porter Jr, he would be great and fill a massive need. :wink:
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#57 » by jbk1234 » Wed Jun 23, 2021 8:28 pm

Stillwater wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:
Stillwater wrote:I mean 5 still gets them 1 of Barnes or Kuminga most likely so I could see it if those are their fit picks esp also getting 8

I just think you decide you like players and don't really care how any of them fit together in an organized basketball setting.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#58 » by Stillwater » Wed Jun 23, 2021 8:37 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
Stillwater wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:

I just think you decide you like players and don't really care how any of them fit together in an organized basketball setting.

I think at 3rd overall most of the time you just take the highest prospect with the highest overall ceiling and highest floor and if there is no clear separation between 1 or 2 prospects then you can start factoring fit with the current team. The same goes with current team moves and ideas to improve as it is too soon to start moving the best young players for vets.
I don't think Green is the obvious bpa by enough to not take Kuminga or Barnes or even Sengun either even with Mobley and Cunningham taken which seems possible but is not guaranteed and he is not a good fit at all wanting high usage. But the key for me is Green is a KPJ cocky player that wants to be the #1 option and won't tolerate JBB or Garland controlling the team and will have to be handed the keys to the franchise from day 1 to not force a trade later.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#59 » by Stillwater » Wed Jun 23, 2021 8:43 pm

LivingLegend wrote:
Stillwater wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:

Im sick and tired of drafting guys who cant shoot and then spending 3 years teaching them how to shoot.

The Cavs need the closest thing to a 3/D guy as they can get considering those are the Cavs 2 biggest weaknesses. I would trade the Suns the #3 pick + Love for Mikal Bridges right now lol We need a Mikal Bridges, THAT type of player is exactly what this team needs. Or a guy like Kevin Porter Jr, he would be great and fill a massive need. :wink:

who can't shoot besides Okoro and JFro ? lol nice try
Sexton and DG can shoot, WIndler and Wade can shoot. They can get a specialist later if that is not enough. No point in drafting for skill based need at the same positions they already have good young players who can do it...
LivingLegend
Head Coach

Post#60 » by LivingLegend » Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:08 pm

Stillwater wrote:
LivingLegend wrote:
Stillwater wrote:I don't agree at all about the ceiling comment esp Kuminga. and Barnes is clearly more impactful defensively than anyone we have even if he requires another move to get a true shooting specialist later.

who can't shoot besides Okoro and JFro ? lol nice try
Sexton and DG can shoot, WIndler and Wade can shoot. They can get a specialist later if that is not enough. No point in drafting for skill based need at the same positions they already have good young players who can do it...

Sexton was 'taught' to shoot which is why his shot looks super mechanical and he can only shoot when he feet are set. Okoro is in the same boat, he's 'learning' to shoot and can only shoot with his feet set. Allen obviously.

Guys like Sexton/Okoro can make shots and do--the problem is neither of them will be high volume from that range. They will likely stick to 3-5 per game shooting a decent percentage. We need somebody who can shoot 8-11 threes per game and make them at a high percentage.

Kuminga and Barnes seem like Sexton/Okoro types where they need to learn how to shoot and develop that area over 3-4 years. We need somebody who can step in from day 1 and shoot the rock naturally--which is Green.

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers