ImageImageImage

Nòmades D'en Ricky. The Grey Havens.

Moderator: ijspeelman

JonFromVA
RealGM
And1: 4,398

Re: Nòmades D'en Ricky. The Grey Havens. 

Post#341 » by JonFromVA » Thu Feb 8, 2024 4:51 am

toooskies wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:
ijspeelman wrote:
I'll come spinning a positive angle and just say that I am glad he is close to family and feeling better. Its a messy situation that we can forgot about next year when he is off the books

That's certainly how the Cavs see it ... but it's harder as a fan to understand throwing away millions of dollars as an investment in future good will.

I mean, he gave so much back that he's pretty much just giving his agent and manager their cuts.

Oh? Did you read details on it? I'm just assuming it was very little he gave up out of the 6m this season and 4m next. We shouldn't trust Sportrac if there wasn't something definitive at least leaked.
JujitsuFlip
General Manager
And1: 5,102

Post#342 » by JujitsuFlip » Thu Feb 8, 2024 6:03 am

JonFromVA wrote:
toooskies wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:
That's certainly how the Cavs see it ... but it's harder as a fan to understand throwing away millions of dollars as an investment in future good will.

I mean, he gave so much back that he's pretty much just giving his agent and manager their cuts.

Oh? Did you read details on it? I'm just assuming it was very little he gave up out of the 6m this season and 4m next. We shouldn't trust Sportrac if there wasn't something definitive at least leaked.
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#343 » by JonFromVA » Thu Feb 8, 2024 7:07 pm

JujitsuFlip wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:
toooskies wrote:I mean, he gave so much back that he's pretty much just giving his agent and manager their cuts.

Marks didn't quite tie a ribbon around this, but it sounds like Ricky is giving back about $4M of the roughly $10M we would have owed him if we just cut him at the beginning of the season.

I can't start to understand what would have happened if he'd asked for a injury related retirement given his injury was technically healed and he could play, but perhaps not well enough to get off the bench for anything short of garbage time or an emergency. I mean insurance is supposed to protect the team in case a player gets injured and can't play, but maybe they'd deny Rubio or worse sue him if he turned around and played somewhere else.

So, maybe there's a way to look at this as a positive outcome?
toooskies
Analyst
And1: 1,661

Post#344 » by toooskies » Thu Feb 8, 2024 7:31 pm

JonFromVA wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:

Marks didn't quite tie a ribbon around this, but it sounds like Ricky is giving back about $4M of the roughly $10M we would have owed him if we just cut him at the beginning of the season.

I can't start to understand what would have happened if he'd asked for a injury related retirement given his injury was technically healed and he could play, but perhaps not well enough to get off the bench for anything short of garbage time or an emergency. I mean insurance is supposed to protect the team in case a player gets injured and can't play, but maybe they'd deny Rubio or worse sue him if he turned around and played somewhere else.

Well, his current venture to play for Barca probably means he wouldn't have been granted the injury-related retirement.

The positive outcome for everyone is that Ricky seems to be having a positive personal outcome after being in a dark place. That's positive enough for me. He was never going to play another valuable minute for us and could've just stayed on the payroll.
JujitsuFlip
General Manager

Post#345 » by JujitsuFlip » Thu Feb 8, 2024 7:34 pm

JonFromVA wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:

Simple math, Rubio gave back ~$2.5 million this season and gave back ~$3 million next season. So, in total gave back a shade less than $5.5 million that was left of his $7.75 million in guarantees.
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#346 » by JonFromVA » Thu Feb 8, 2024 7:43 pm

JujitsuFlip wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:Image

Simple math, Rubio gave back ~$2.5 million this season and gave back ~$3 million next season. So, in total gave back a shade less than $5.5 million that was left of his $7.75 million in guarantees.

I did lose $1M somewhere :o ... updated I have him giving up $5.148M.

But I was counting the total money he'd have been paid this year and next if we cut him so $6M this season and $4M next or $10M.
JujitsuFlip
General Manager

Post#347 » by JujitsuFlip » Thu Feb 8, 2024 7:59 pm

JonFromVA wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:

But I was counting the total money he'd have been paid this year and next if we cut him so $6M this season and $4M next or $10M.
Shoulda just traded him and had $0 hit the books lol
toooskies
Analyst
And1: 1,661

Post#348 » by toooskies » Thu Feb 8, 2024 9:13 pm

JujitsuFlip wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:Simple math, Rubio gave back ~$2.5 million this season and gave back ~$3 million next season. So, in total gave back a shade less than $5.5 million that was left of his $7.75 million in guarantees.

You'd have had to have someone willing to eat that money, and it probably would've involved a 2nd or two to make that happen.
JujitsuFlip
General Manager

Post#349 » by JujitsuFlip » Thu Feb 8, 2024 9:41 pm

toooskies wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:

You'd have had to have someone willing to eat that money, and it probably would've involved a 2nd or two to make that happen.
I'm fine with it costing five seconds, if it needed it. Look at the plethora of prospects the Cavs have in the pipeline. The issue is, Rubio had to sign overseas before the NBA trade deadline to be eligible for the Eurocup or Euroleague or w.e, so the timing sucked.

However, there is always the chance teams wanted a 1st rounder, which the Cavs don't have outside of a useless 2024 swap.

It is what it is, Cavs have 2 open roster spots, hopefully they use them wisely.

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers