ImageImageImage

Evan Mobley -- Centerpiece of the Cavalier Rebuild?

Moderator: ijspeelman

SaiCLE
Rookie
And1: 215

Re: Evan Mobley -- Centerpiece of the Cavalier Rebuild? 

Post#61 » by SaiCLE » Sat Oct 16, 2021 3:59 pm

JonFromVA wrote:
SaiCLE wrote:Sucks he only played 13 minutes the last game of the preseason. I’m positive he would have ended the game with a double double with 3 blocks and a few steals.

Mobley is a franchise level player and I wouldn’t take anyother rookie over him

The real games start soon enough, and while Evan competing for ROY of the year by putting up some numbers and getting people on his bandwagon would be fun it's not expected because his offensive game needs a lot of development. The award generally goes to the player that scores the most PPG rather than the player who had the most impact on winning- so again it's fun, but not particularly meaningful.

Hopefully those expectations don't get out of control because when you call a player a franchise player there's often an expectation of that player putting up big numbers and quickly even though there's plenty of examples of franchise players who did not.

He’s going to impact the game defensively right away. I wasn’t speaking on ROY that award goes to scorers. He doesn’t have to put up big numbers just impact the game defensively & continue to show flashes. It’s okay to be excited about his future.
JonFromVA
RealGM
And1: 4,351

Post#62 » by JonFromVA » Sat Oct 16, 2021 4:14 pm

SaiCLE wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:
SaiCLE wrote:Sucks he only played 13 minutes the last game of the preseason. I’m positive he would have ended the game with a double double with 3 blocks and a few steals.

Mobley is a franchise level player and I wouldn’t take anyother rookie over him

The real games start soon enough, and while Evan competing for ROY of the year by putting up some numbers and getting people on his bandwagon would be fun it's not expected because his offensive game needs a lot of development. The award generally goes to the player that scores the most PPG rather than the player who had the most impact on winning- so again it's fun, but not particularly meaningful.

Hopefully those expectations don't get out of control because when you call a player a franchise player there's often an expectation of that player putting up big numbers and quickly even though there's plenty of examples of franchise players who did not.

He’s going to impact the game defensively right away. I wasn’t speaking on ROY that award goes to scorers. He doesn’t have to put up big numbers just impact the game defensively & continue to show flashes. It’s okay to be excited about his future.

I'm very excited about Evan's present and his future, but generally people doing box score watching in pre-season are just hoping to see their guy get a mention in the rookie thread on the GB ... which is fun, no doubt, but let the other rooks have their moment in the Sun in these games which don't matter.
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#63 » by JonFromVA » Fri Oct 22, 2021 3:06 pm

Rookie watchers are going to fixate on points and assists, but it's this kind of stuff I'm looking forward to when Evan isn't being dragged out to the 3pt line by a player like JJJ:

Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,374

Post#64 » by Jamaaliver » Sun Oct 24, 2021 3:05 am

Read on Twitter
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#65 » by JonFromVA » Sun Oct 24, 2021 1:50 pm

Evan is impressive especially for his age, but that's a 6 factor stat. He's not joining anything, nobody is tracking this stuff other than the Cavs stat computer/service.
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#66 » by JonFromVA » Mon Oct 25, 2021 7:52 pm

Evan Mobley leads the league in contested shots per game and it's not even close. :o

It helps that he's averaging 35.3 mpg and commits just 2.3 fouls per game.

*I already posted this in the GB rookie thread*
AussieBuck
RealGM
And1: 19,674

Post#67 » by AussieBuck » Thu Oct 28, 2021 6:43 am

Soooo, you guys have the next superstar big man.
emunney wrote:
We need a man shaped like a chicken nugget with the shot selection of a 21st birthday party.

GHOSTofSIKMA wrote:
if you combined jabari parker, royal ivey, a shrimp and a ball sack youd have javon carter
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#68 » by JonFromVA » Thu Oct 28, 2021 6:47 am

AussieBuck wrote:Soooo, you guys have the next superstar big man.

Sure, when his offense comes around or he leads this team in to the playoffs with his defense ala Ben Wallace.
AussieBuck
RealGM

Post#69 » by AussieBuck » Thu Oct 28, 2021 6:54 am

JonFromVA wrote:

Sure, when his offense comes around or he leads this team in to the playoffs with his defense ala Ben Wallace.

****, he might do that this season. Kid's a freak.
emunney wrote:
We need a man shaped like a chicken nugget with the shot selection of a 21st birthday party.

GHOSTofSIKMA wrote:
if you combined jabari parker, royal ivey, a shrimp and a ball sack youd have javon carter
Revenged25
Analyst
And1: 1,002

Post#70 » by Revenged25 » Thu Oct 28, 2021 1:16 pm

AussieBuck wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:

I'm hoping for being like the 10th seed play-in match and making it close but failing, then getting lotto luck for the #1 pick and Chet Holmgrem so the Cavs can go even bigger!
AussieBuck
RealGM

Post#71 » by AussieBuck » Thu Oct 28, 2021 10:24 pm

Revenged25 wrote:
AussieBuck wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:

I'm hoping for being like the 10th seed play-in match and making it close but failing, then getting lotto luck for the #1 pick and Chet Holmgrem so the Cavs can go even bigger!

Don't be greedy, you've got your guy. Happy for you to be rivals, don't want any more super teams. :lol:
emunney wrote:

GHOSTofSIKMA wrote:
Vampirate
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,616

Post#72 » by Vampirate » Thu Oct 28, 2021 10:33 pm

JonFromVA wrote:

Watching him for a bit, when he doesn't have the ball he looks like Durant in his speed and agility for a guy his size and length.

He seems like a SF in a really tall body, he doesn't play the banger game, it seems like he's more of a finesse game atm.

He's gonna win a couple of DOPYs before his career is done at least.
AussieBuck
RealGM

Post#73 » by AussieBuck » Thu Oct 28, 2021 10:37 pm

Vampirate wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:

Watching him for a bit, when he doesn't have the ball he looks like Durant in his speed and agility for a guy his size and length.

He seems like a SF in a really tall body, he doesn't play the banger game, it seems like he's more of a finesse game atm.

Dunno what his final form is on offense, I imagine he'll copy a bit of Giannis' stuff because he has the passing chops to utilise. On D he'll do the same as Giannis. Little bit of SF early then PF then C.
emunney wrote:

GHOSTofSIKMA wrote:
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#74 » by JonFromVA » Thu Oct 28, 2021 10:46 pm

Vampirate wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:

I've been wondering if he has a shot this year to get some DPOY votes. If the Cavs keep winning, he might even have the narrative to win it as a rook.

I see the potential as well for him as a SF, but he has a lot of areas to work on: ball handling, shooting, quicker release, improving his first step/moves. It's too hard to project all that right now, but he's young, isn't starting from scratch in those areas, and the Cavs are definitely interested in having him work on his all-around game.
Vampirate
Assistant Coach

Post#75 » by Vampirate » Thu Oct 28, 2021 10:52 pm

AussieBuck wrote:
Vampirate wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:

Dunno what his final form is on offense, I imagine he'll copy a bit of Giannis' stuff because he has the passing chops to utilise. On D he'll do the same as Giannis. Little bit of SF early then PF then C.

If he can tighten up his handle and get a reliable jump shot, I think only KD and Giannis will be able to cover the guy.

You'd need someone with the speed, length and agility, wingspan to match.

Even then, Superstars get theirs regardless of who's guarding them.
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#76 » by JonFromVA » Thu Oct 28, 2021 10:54 pm

AussieBuck wrote:
Vampirate wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:

What if Giannis was able to just focus on defense and finishing plays rather than running the offense?

Meaning, no resting on defense but defending the best player on the other team when it makes sense, perhaps being the head of a 1-2-2 zone like the Cavs have experimented with ... just completely unlocked to focus on D?

How do you think that would look or has looked?

Because I think that's one possible path for Mobley if his offensive game doesn't expand, and especially in the short-term given his defensive impact is way ahead of his offensive impact in the early going.
Revenged25
Analyst
And1: 1,002

Post#77 » by Revenged25 » Thu Oct 28, 2021 11:16 pm

AussieBuck wrote:
Revenged25 wrote:
AussieBuck wrote:****, he might do that this season. Kid's a freak.

Don't be greedy, you've got your guy. Happy for you to be rivals, don't want any more super teams. :lol:

It's not a super team if it's homegrown!
Vampirate
Assistant Coach

Post#78 » by Vampirate » Thu Oct 28, 2021 11:17 pm

JonFromVA wrote:
AussieBuck wrote:
Vampirate wrote:

What if Giannis was able to just focus on defense and finishing plays rather than running the offense?

Meaning, no resting on defense but defending the best player on the other team when it makes sense, perhaps being the head of a 1-2-2 zone like the Cavs have experimented with ... just completely unlocked to focus on D?

How do you think that would look or has looked?

Because I think that's one possible path for Mobley if his offensive game doesn't expand, and especially in the short-term given his defensive impact is way ahead of his offensive impact in the early going.

I think you're selling your guy short.

I see no reason why his offensive game won't expand simply for the reason that he's one of the very few players that can reliably get a good shot off due to his height/length.

The guy will probably have some gravity in his career which will open up passes for other players.
yoyoboy
RealGM
And1: 18,793

Post#79 » by yoyoboy » Thu Oct 28, 2021 11:55 pm

I think what’s really interesting about Mobley that people aren’t really talking about is the fact he’s shouting 90% from the FT line (18/20). His stroke there actually looks really great, form wise, so it’s surprising that his jumper has been off to start the season. It gives you hope he’ll eventually be a legit floor spacer in time though.

His defense is obviously the selling point. I can’t remember the last guy who I was this excited about to watch play defense. He covers so much ground and he’s already so intelligent when it comes to positioning.

He hasn’t really been able to show off that playmaking too much so far, which was the most exciting part of his offense. Part of it is the Cavs’ offensive structure which involves a lot of ball sharing, but part of it is Mobley just not having the strength yet to be able to get to his spots and finish as effectively as he should. Once he can bulk up and then in turn have more scoring gravity, I’m hopefully he’ll be able to take advantage of that passing game.
yoyoboy
RealGM
And1: 18,793

Post#80 » by yoyoboy » Thu Oct 28, 2021 11:56 pm

What do you guys expect of this Davis-Mobley matchup? Mobley gonna end up getting rook’d or do you think he’ll hold his own?

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers