Trade Ideas

Moderator: ijspeelman

ijspeelman
Forum Mod - Cavs
Forum Mod - Cavs
And1: 859

Re: Trade ideas 

Post#721 » by ijspeelman » Wed Feb 23, 2022 11:50 pm

You'd have to imagine the Lakers aren't planning on rebuilding yet when they still have LeBron and AD on the roster. Even if they aren't great next year, I assume something insane would have to happen for them to want to part ways with either of these guys. They are a big market team, but LeBron and AD brings a lot of attention and that makes them even more money even if they are not winning. I think if they are trading either one of them the package would need to be enormous and I doubt whatever the Lakers would accept for LeBron that the Cavaliers would ever accept themselves (would 100% break up part of the young core).
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,170

Post#722 » by jbk1234 » Thu Feb 24, 2022 1:28 am

One thing about waiting until the summer of 2023 to add LBJ in F.A. is that it gives this core another year to grow together. I wouldn't mind parting with a pick, LeVert, Sexton, or Love this summer, but I wouldn't include multiple firsts, or Okoro, as some posters have suggested just to get him a year earlier. I'm on the fence about Lauri tbh. I don't like the idea of giving up multiple trade assets for short term benefit.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#723 » by jbk1234 » Thu Feb 24, 2022 1:35 am

ijspeelman wrote:You'd have to imagine the Lakers aren't planning on rebuilding yet when they still have LeBron and AD on the roster. Even if they aren't great next year, I assume something insane would have to happen for them to want to part ways with either of these guys. They are a big market team, but LeBron and AD brings a lot of attention and that makes them even more money even if they are not winning. I think if they are trading either one of them the package would need to be enormous and I doubt whatever the Lakers would accept for LeBron that the Cavaliers would ever accept themselves (would 100% break up part of the young core).

What the Lakers want or would accept is, at best, a secondary consideration after the Cavs have made the decision as to whether they want to trade for him.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
ijspeelman
Forum Mod - Cavs
Forum Mod - Cavs

Post#724 » by ijspeelman » Thu Feb 24, 2022 2:52 am

jbk1234 wrote:What the Lakers want or would accept is, at best, a secondary consideration after the Cavs have made the decision as to whether they want to trade for him.

That's fair. I'm just seeing trade packages in this thread that would not win a trade war for LeBron if the Cavs did decide to move forward with trading for him.
KuruptedCav
Analyst
And1: 1,125

Post#725 » by KuruptedCav » Thu Feb 24, 2022 5:10 am

ijspeelman wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:What the Lakers want or would accept is, at best, a secondary consideration after the Cavs have made the decision as to whether they want to trade for him.

That's fair. I'm just seeing trade packages in this thread that would not win a trade war for LeBron if the Cavs did decide to move forward with trading for him.

There won’t be a bidding war for James. The Lakers would need him to force their hand and take the PR hit instead of them; similar to when the Lakers traded Shaq.

He’ll pick his destination and the value going back will be what fits for salary and positional purposes, value is secondary.

I do think it’s presumptuous to think Cleveland would be that place. He’s always like Madison Square Garden. If his son goes to Duke as is speculated; the Hornets could be interesting until he enters the draft. Jordan and James. Many options.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
JonFromVA
RealGM
And1: 4,390

Post#726 » by JonFromVA » Thu Feb 24, 2022 3:51 pm

ijspeelman wrote:You'd have to imagine the Lakers aren't planning on rebuilding yet when they still have LeBron and AD on the roster. Even if they aren't great next year, I assume something insane would have to happen for them to want to part ways with either of these guys. They are a big market team, but LeBron and AD brings a lot of attention and that makes them even more money even if they are not winning. I think if they are trading either one of them the package would need to be enormous and I doubt whatever the Lakers would accept for LeBron that the Cavaliers would ever accept themselves (would 100% break up part of the young core).

All the Lakers need is cap space and they can pivot after some other free-agent, maybe they could even convince themselves they could find someone that fit with AD and Russ.

I also wouldn't expect a former agent like Rob Pelinka to hold LeBron to his contract until he can extract exactly what he wants like Daryl Morey just did in Philly. That wouldn't be good for the Lakers (who will want to convince those future free agents to join) nor for the NBA which is still greatly fueled by LeBron, LeBron Inc and whatever LeBron is doing including his chase of the record books and taking some victory laps before he wraps up his career and sets up his post-career legacy.

I could imagine the Lakers wanting to hold on to Davis to build around and help attract free-agents, but I have no clue what he would want personally if James wasn't there; but he's the guys they gave up a big pile of assets for and presumably they would use any trade to try to recoup some of them.

Ultimately the Cavs have a great option here ... say "No". :lol:
toooskies
Analyst
And1: 1,655

Post#727 » by toooskies » Thu Feb 24, 2022 4:26 pm

KuruptedCav wrote:
ijspeelman wrote:

There won’t be a bidding war for James. The Lakers would need him to force their hand and take the PR hit instead of them; similar to when the Lakers traded Shaq.

He’ll pick his destination and the value going back will be what fits for salary and positional purposes, value is secondary.

I do think it’s presumptuous to think Cleveland would be that place. He’s always like Madison Square Garden. If his son goes to Duke as is speculated; the Hornets could be interesting until he enters the draft. Jordan and James. Many options.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app

Charlotte is a good 2+ hours away from Duke, I don't see it being that big a draw especially with the possibility MJ just sabotages the team to keep LeBron from matching him in titles. Ohio State is as close to Cleveland as Duke is to Charlotte. MSG has the problem that it's owned by Dolan and operated by a former agent who was a rival to Klutch. I'm not saying it's impossible for LeBron to end up elsewhere, but if LeBron isn't in LA there's a 90% chance he goes to Cleveland. (Maybe 5% to "near Bronny", and 5% to PHX for ring chasing/banana boats.)
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#728 » by jbk1234 » Thu Feb 24, 2022 9:18 pm

ijspeelman wrote:

I mean, it's a bidding war I'd be very comfortable losing with the idea that the door is open in the summer of 2023 if he wants to come back as a F.A. Something to keep in mind is that LBJ walked out off Cleveland, twice, and the Cavs got little to nothing back. Maybe that shouldn't impact the organization's calculus, but LBJ isn't the only one with an ego.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
ijspeelman
Forum Mod - Cavs
Forum Mod - Cavs

Post#729 » by ijspeelman » Thu Feb 24, 2022 9:20 pm

jbk1234 wrote:I mean, it's a bidding war I'd be very comfortable losing with the idea that the door is open in the summer of 2023 if he wants to come back as a F.A. Something to keep in mind is that LBJ walked out off Cleveland, twice, and the Cavs got little to nothing back. Maybe that shouldn't impact the organization's calculus, but LBJ isn't the only one with an ego.

I personally do not want Cavs to trade for him unless we somehow do get a package that doesn't include any of our young core or more than 1 or 2 FRP's. I definitely agree that if he were to come, I'd prefer it came in FA.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#730 » by jbk1234 » Mon Jun 6, 2022 12:56 am

Read on Twitter
?s=20&t=vpAQme-XTjfPn5d5WxNw6Q
cbosh4mvp wrote:
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#731 » by jbk1234 » Mon Jun 6, 2022 1:03 am

I don't know if the Cavs can put together a competitive package, but they ought to at least call on Mitchell.

Cedi and 39 to the Spurs.

Sexton (S&T), Okoro, Wade, No. 14, future first for Mitchell.

Maybe followed up by Love for Conley if they want off of Conley's deal a year earlier?
cbosh4mvp wrote:
mg
General Manager
And1: 4,031

Post#732 » by mg » Mon Jun 6, 2022 1:14 am

jbk1234 wrote:I don't know if the Cavs can put together a competitive package, but they ought to at least call on Mitchell.

Maybe followed up by Love for Conley if they want off of Conley's deal a year earlier?

I don't think that is close. I don't believe the #14 can be combined in a trade with Sexton. It would be considered tampering if any team talked to him before FA.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#733 » by jbk1234 » Mon Jun 6, 2022 1:25 am

mg wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:I don't know if the Cavs can put together a competitive package, but they ought to at least call on Mitchell.

I don't think that is close. I don't believe the #14 can be combined in a trade with Sexton. It would be considered tampering if any team talked to him before FA.

The Cavs can add whoever they draft with No. 14, to Sexton, Okoro, and a future first after free agency starts.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
toooskies
Analyst

Post#734 » by toooskies » Mon Jun 6, 2022 2:19 pm

The Spurs have three firsts and #38 this year, they probably want a future 2nd or two rather than more capital from this draft. If they're even willing.

I don't have Sexton as a very good fit in Utah.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#735 » by jbk1234 » Mon Jun 6, 2022 2:22 pm

toooskies wrote:

The Spurs have three firsts and #38 this year, they probably want a future 2nd or two rather than more capital from this draft. If they're even willing.

I don't have Sexton as a very good fit in Utah.

Yeah, all of that is a bit of wish casting on my part. I think I'm already done with it.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
gflem
Analyst
And1: 276

Post#736 » by gflem » Wed Jun 22, 2022 11:17 pm

Well Grant + for 14 is off the table. Looks like Detroit might be able to bid more for Sexton if they really want him, the Blazers took Grant into a TPE so no salary going back to the Pistons.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#737 » by jbk1234 » Thu Jun 23, 2022 4:14 am

gflem wrote:Well Grant + for 14 is off the table. Looks like Detroit might be able to bid more for Sexton if they really want him, the Blazers took Grant into a TPE so no salary going back to the Pistons.

I suspect they've already agreed on a number.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
JujitsuFlip
General Manager
And1: 5,086

Post#738 » by JujitsuFlip » Thu Jun 23, 2022 5:46 am

gflem wrote:Well Grant + for 14 is off the table. Looks like Detroit might be able to bid more for Sexton if they really want him, the Blazers took Grant into a TPE so no salary going back to the Pistons.
I thought the space might be for Ayton.
toooskies
Analyst

Post#739 » by toooskies » Thu Jun 23, 2022 1:30 pm

While Sexton might not be a problem because of his size in Detroit, there are still plenty of reasons that their front office would prefer any of a handful of other free agents, and they just eliminated one of the other teams with cap space.

We'll see if Detroit ends up with Ivey or Sharpe or Mathurin tonight.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#740 » by jbk1234 » Thu Jun 23, 2022 1:35 pm

From the Cavs perspective, nothing should really change. There's a number at which they're comfortable matching, and there's a number at which they're no longer comfortable matching. But there's a reason that they didn't off him the $25M per last summer and nothing that's transpired since has increase his value. If someone else is willing to pay him more than $20M per, shake his hand and wish him luck.
cbosh4mvp wrote:

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers