Moderator: ijspeelman

jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,144

Re: Trade ideas 

Post#1181 » by jbk1234 » Wed Feb 8, 2023 3:34 am

JujitsuFlip wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:With the a new TV deal coming up soon, more years is good for cost control.
I'm good on LeVert signing a 4 year $70.95 million deal, that's just a bad idea all way around.

I want the luxury of having a large expiring, I don't wanna pay a guy for 4 years to play basketball who has a history of not playing a lot of basketball.

If that's the case, we shoulda just paid Sexton and kept all our future picks and pushed the win now window down the road.

I was with you up and until the keep Sexton part. It's telling that Utah added Agbaji's name to the off limits list, but not his. They just signed him.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
JujitsuFlip
General Manager
And1: 5,063

Post#1182 » by JujitsuFlip » Wed Feb 8, 2023 4:19 am

JonFromVA wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:With the a new TV deal coming up soon, more years is good for cost control.
I'm good on LeVert signing a 4 year $70.95 million deal, that's just a bad idea all way around.

I want the luxury of having a large expiring, I don't wanna pay a guy for 4 years to play basketball who has a history of not playing a lot of basketball.

If that's the case, we shoulda just paid Sexton and kept all our future picks and pushed the win now window down the road.

LeVert is useful, long, plays D, can run some offense, is even shooting pretty well and injuries are a reality. Basically backs up 3 positions for us AND has already accepted coming off the bench - something Collin didn't do when he was here.
He doesn't deserve a long term deal from the Cavs, they have bigger fish to fry than a 4th ball handler who isn't efficient. With 2 guys on max deals, Cavs can't just hand people money, constructing a contender around the core 4 is gonna be tough and that's even with one of em on a rookie deal.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1183 » by jbk1234 » Wed Feb 8, 2023 4:29 am

JonFromVA wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:

LeVert is useful, long, plays D, can run some offense, is even shooting pretty well and injuries are a reality. Basically backs up 3 positions for us AND has already accepted coming off the bench - something Collin didn't do when he was here.

He's also on an expiring contract right now and the best public offer is THJ's bad money. I don't think the offers will get better if it's a commitment beyond a single year.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
ijspeelman
Forum Mod - Cavs
Forum Mod - Cavs
And1: 857

Post#1184 » by ijspeelman » Wed Feb 8, 2023 1:16 pm

JonFromVA wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:

If LeVert isn't traded, the FO's intentions seem clear and I don't think Cavs fans are ready. They are going to look to re-sign LeVert.

I actually think we could land on a lower deal than 70 mil over 4 years as I don't think he's going to get nearly the same contract structure as he currently has. If 4 years, I assume he will make between 11-15mil per year avg so 44-60 over 4. For a guy that has the attributes above (besides the shooting well from the floor), that's a good bench piece price.

I will say his shooting still concerns me (may be an understatement, shooting -5.9 rTS% this year), but he has shot his second least of his entire career (FGA per 100) so he isn't bleeding much value there. For how much he's been a decent close range mid-range shooter in his career, he has been actually awful in these spots this year. I do think if he's either able to reduce these shots (by extending plays when he gets into the paint) or make them back at this career averages that he would be worth a lot more as scorer. He has also impressed as a C&S three point shooter this year (39.5% on 3.1 attempts per 36).

I also think his secondary playmaking punch off the bench is something we would miss if he ultimately leaves.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1185 » by jbk1234 » Wed Feb 8, 2023 2:17 pm

ijspeelman wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:I'm good on LeVert signing a 4 year $70.95 million deal, that's just a bad idea all way around.

If LeVert isn't traded, the FO's intentions seem clear and I don't think Cavs fans are ready. They are going to look to re-sign LeVert.

I actually think we could land on a lower deal than 70 mil over 4 years as I don't think he's going to get nearly the same contract structure as he currently has. If 4 years, I assume he will make between 11-15mil per year avg so 44-60 over 4. For a guy that has the attributes above (besides the shooting well from the floor), that's a good bench piece price.

I will say his shooting still concerns me (may be an understatement, shooting -5.9 rTS% this year), but he has shot his second least of his entire career (FGA per 100) so he isn't bleeding much value there. For how much he's been a decent close range mid-range shooter in his career, he has been actually awful in these spots this year. I do think if he's either able to reduce these shots (by extending plays when he gets into the paint) or make them back at this career averages that he would be worth a lot more as scorer. He has also impressed as a C&S three point shooter this year (39.5% on 3.1 attempts per 36).

I also think his secondary playmaking punch off the bench is something we would miss if he ultimately leaves.

You can get the type of playmakiing punch LeVert brings for the MLE (and in some cases even less). LeVert has improved his defense to the point where he's replacement level, he's a decent secondary rebounder, his assist totals look less impressive once you factor in his turnovers. His handle isn't great and he struggles driving with his head up.

Part of me wonders if, apart from the money, LeVert really wants to re-sign here. His role has been reduced and he might prefer a team with more shooting, more spacing, and fewer ballhandlers. His midrange game has basically disappeared and I suspect one of the reasons is that 10-15 foot shot he likes isn't really there with multiple defenders occupying that space.

He plays well alongside Mitchell, less so alongside Garland, and he plays better rotating into units with multiple starters in it than with the second unit. He really shouldn't be tasked with primary ballhandling duties or running an offense.

He's a guy with a lot of pluses and a lot of minuses. I wouldn't mind keeping him on MLE money, or just north of it (in recognition that he's serviceable as an emergency starter), but he's hardly irreplaceable. If another team wants to sign him for more than that, explore a S&T and move on.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
JonFromVA
RealGM
And1: 4,386

Post#1186 » by JonFromVA » Wed Feb 8, 2023 4:12 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
ijspeelman wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:

You can get the type of playmakiing punch LeVert brings for the MLE (and in some cases even less). LeVert has improved his defense to the point where he's replacement level, he's a decent secondary rebounder, his assist totals look less impressive once you factor in his turnovers. His handle isn't great and he struggles driving with his head up.

Part of me wonders if, apart from the money, LeVert really wants to re-sign here. His role has been reduced and he might prefer a team with more shooting, more spacing, and fewer ballhandlers. His midrange game has basically disappeared and I suspect one of the reasons is that 10-15 foot shot he likes isn't really there with multiple defenders occupying that space.

He plays well alongside Mitchell, less so alongside Garland, and he plays better rotating into units with multiple starters in it than with the second unit. He really shouldn't be tasked with primary ballhandling duties or running an offense.

He's a guy with a lot of pluses and a lot of minuses. I wouldn't mind keeping him on MLE money, or just north of it (in recognition that he's serviceable as an emergency starter), but he's hardly irreplaceable. If another team wants to sign him for more than that, explore a S&T and move on.

Speaking of his plus minuses ... 8-)

Caris and the other 4 starters are +8.3 pp100 (167 minutes) ... which is fantastic.

The good news is Isaac and the other 4 starters are right up there too at +8.2 (199 minutes).

The lineup with Caris and Isaac but without Mitchell is +4.1 (95 minutes) which is very nice as well.

Our other top-4 lineup has Stevens in that 5th spot, and that's -3.0 (152 minutes)

So, per usual, I don't really care if some of Caris's stats aren't what we'd like to see ... I care about results and the results are looking not good, but terrific.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/CLE/2023/lineups/

If we can get a player like that for the MLE ... cool? But you also have to consider Altman is not picking from every player available, he's filtering out guys who might not fit seamlessly or might cause chemistry problems ... and they're filtering us out based on their desire to make more than the MLE, or get guaranteed playing time, or preference to play near a beach, etc.

There's a reason we like to trade for players before signing them up long-term, so if you'd rather not see Caris in this team's future, well - you'd better hope Altman finds something better by tomorrow and they show us something in what little remains of the season.

Otherwise, expect us to spend the MLE and/or mini-MLE very conservatively on someone we've liked, who has a solid track record, and is going to accept being part of this team and likely a reserve. Speaking Josh Hart types.

If Caris didn't have the flaws he has ... he'd be getting offers upwards of $25M/year ... but behind those numbers, he's shooting a career high on 3pt% (and it's not a weird thing for a veteran to improve his 3pt shooting) and he's been surprisingly good on defense.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1187 » by jbk1234 » Wed Feb 8, 2023 4:52 pm

JonFromVA wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:
ijspeelman wrote:

Caris and the other 4 starters are +8.3 pp100 (167 minutes) ... which is fantastic.

The good news is Isaac and the other 4 starters are right up there too at +8.2 (199 minutes).

The lineup with Caris and Isaac but without Mitchell is +4.1 (95 minutes) which is very nice as well.

Our other top-4 lineup has Stevens in that 5th spot, and that's -3.0 (152 minutes)

So, per usual, I don't really care if some of Caris's stats aren't what we'd like to see ... I care about results and the results are looking not good, but terrific.

If we can get a player like that for the MLE ... cool? But you also have to consider Altman is not picking from every player available, he's filtering out guys who might not fit seamlessly or might cause chemistry problems ... and they're filtering us out based on their desire to make more than the MLE, or get guaranteed playing time, or preference to play near a beach, etc.

There's a reason we like to trade for players before signing them up long-term, so if you'd rather not see Caris in this team's future, well - you'd better hope Altman finds something better by tomorrow and they show us something in what little remains of the season.

Otherwise, expect us to spend the MLE and/or mini-MLE very conservatively on someone we've liked, who has a solid track record, and is going to accept being part of this team and likely a reserve. Speaking Josh Hart types.

If Caris didn't have the flaws he has ... he'd be getting offers upwards of $25M/year ... but behind those numbers, he's shooting a career high on 3pt% (and it's not a weird thing for a veteran to improve his 3pt shooting) and he's been surprisingly good on defense.

Any +/- numbers with the other 4 starters are going to look good because our other four starters are really good. If your point is that LeVert is a better option than Stevens, well yeah. Stevens is barely an NBA player on a league minimum deal. It doesn't follow that a guy like Wade couldn't push that number even higher.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
JujitsuFlip
General Manager

Post#1188 » by JujitsuFlip » Wed Feb 8, 2023 5:39 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:

I was with you up and until the keep Sexton part. It's telling that Utah added Agbaji's name to the off limits list, but not his. They just signed him.
That gives you an idea of how much I'm against signing LeVert to a 4 year $17+ million AAV lol
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#1189 » by JonFromVA » Wed Feb 8, 2023 6:21 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:

Any +/- numbers with the other 4 starters are going to look good because our other four starters are really good. If your point is that LeVert is a better option than Stevens, well yeah. Stevens is barely an NBA player on a league minimum deal. It doesn't follow that a guy like Wade couldn't push that number even higher.

Actually that wasn't the case for Okoro until he started turning around his season.

I'm sure Wade's numbers with the starters would look terrific if he got the chance, but they're not competing for the same spot or even the same role. We even have 50 some minutes of Wade and LeVert with Mitchell, Allen, and Mobley and they were killing it (+22.8).

Isaac, Caris, and Dean all bring different things and that's good if our coach can figure out when to tap them on the shoulder. Our core 4 is established, from here on out the goal is to build depth and give our coach options to deal with different situations as they come up.

toooskies
Analyst
And1: 1,655

Post#1190 » by toooskies » Wed Feb 8, 2023 8:00 pm

It's kind of moot putting Wade into the starting spot at the 3 because we really need him as the backup 4 as long as Love isn't hitting his shots. Unless you really, really like small-ball Lamar Stevens.

A trade could help that-- a backup 4 is easier to find than a starting 3.
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#1191 » by JonFromVA » Wed Feb 8, 2023 9:15 pm

toooskies wrote:It's kind of moot putting Wade into the starting spot at the 3 because we really need him as the backup 4 as long as Love isn't hitting his shots. Unless you really, really like small-ball Lamar Stevens.

A trade could help that-- a backup 4 is easier to find than a starting 3.

Nope, that makes perfect sense. We can go smaller at times, but it's situational.

But I also feel playing Evan at C even against reserves should be treated situationally (aka don't throw our Baby Giraffe in to a meat grinder).
JujitsuFlip
General Manager

Post#1192 » by JujitsuFlip » Thu Feb 9, 2023 3:31 am

Well, Hart was traded for Reddish, so neither of them will be here.
KuruptedCav
Analyst
And1: 1,125

Trade ideas 

Post#1193 » by KuruptedCav » Thu Feb 9, 2023 4:21 am

JujitsuFlip wrote:Well, Hart was traded for Reddish, so neither of them will be here.

I smiled when I saw this trade, thinking, the Cavs interest drove up the price for Hart.

And that we wouldn’t see an Allen, Mobley, Stevens, Hart, Okoro lineup…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1194 » by jbk1234 » Thu Feb 9, 2023 12:29 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=20&t=2RqfYhW0E-6R6WGJu8t8rg
cbosh4mvp wrote:
JujitsuFlip
General Manager

Post#1195 » by JujitsuFlip » Thu Feb 9, 2023 12:43 pm

Royce sure is short but he can hit the 3, play defense, on a good deal, and already know he meshes with Mitchell.

I'd do Royce + Mills for LeVert.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1196 » by jbk1234 » Thu Feb 9, 2023 12:48 pm

JujitsuFlip wrote:Royce sure is short but he can hit the 3, play defense, on a good deal, and already know he meshes with Mitchell.

I suspect it might have to be Love for Royce and J. Harris. The Nets payroll for next season is $170M and I can't imagine they want to pay the repeater tax for a team that won't be contending.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
ijspeelman
Forum Mod - Cavs
Forum Mod - Cavs

Post#1197 » by ijspeelman » Thu Feb 9, 2023 1:18 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:Royce sure is short but he can hit the 3, play defense, on a good deal, and already know he meshes with Mitchell.

I suspect it might have to be Love for Royce and J. Harris. The Nets payroll for next season is $170M and I can't imagine they want to pay the repeater tax for a team that won't be contending.

This could pave the way for Cameron Johnson being available next season as an FA. Jae, Seth, and Yuta will also be FAs next season from their team.
JujitsuFlip
General Manager

Post#1198 » by JujitsuFlip » Thu Feb 9, 2023 1:20 pm

jbk1234 wrote:

Ah, I'd do that too, Harris stay was far too short here the first time.
yoyoboy
RealGM
And1: 18,801

Post#1199 » by yoyoboy » Thu Feb 9, 2023 3:12 pm

We just don’t have anything to offer unfortunately.
ijspeelman
Forum Mod - Cavs
Forum Mod - Cavs

Post#1200 » by ijspeelman » Thu Feb 9, 2023 3:14 pm

yoyoboy wrote:We just don’t have anything to offer unfortunately.

Supposedly they want Love and I assume this is for them to get under the cap next year so they may not look for compensation. Maybe we can provide them with a wing who never plays in Windler

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers