Moderator: ijspeelman

ijspeelman
Forum Mod - Cavs
Forum Mod - Cavs
And1: 856

Re: Trade ideas 

Post#1221 » by ijspeelman » Thu Feb 9, 2023 10:49 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:Disappointed the Cavs sat on their hands but sometimes the best trade is the one ya don't make.

Exactly. I'm fine with it so long as they don't extend LeVert.

I feel that exactly because they didn’t trade LeVert that they will extend him this off-season. I guess we will see
JonFromVA
RealGM
And1: 4,382

Post#1222 » by JonFromVA » Thu Feb 9, 2023 11:11 pm

ijspeelman wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:Disappointed the Cavs sat on their hands but sometimes the best trade is the one ya don't make.

Exactly. I'm fine with it so long as they don't extend LeVert.

I feel that exactly because they didn’t trade LeVert that they will extend him this off-season. I guess we will see

Koby as much as said they intend to talk to LeVert in the off-season about re-signing, but I'd presume if the two sides even discussed an extension they were far off.

So, LeVert will see what other team's are willing to pay him, and the Cavs will get to consider based on the rest of the season how much he's worth.

Meanwhile ... there's the buy out marker and the ultimate wild card ... will Dylan Windler play this season?
mcfly1204
General Manager
And1: 1,840

Post#1223 » by mcfly1204 » Fri Feb 10, 2023 12:24 am

I'd love to retain LeVert after this season. His scoring is inconsistent, but he can do a lot on the court.
Well at least we're not Detroit!
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,132

Post#1224 » by jbk1234 » Fri Feb 10, 2023 12:31 am

mcfly1204 wrote:I'd love to retain LeVert after this season. His scoring is inconsistent, but he can do a lot on the court.

Not all of it good.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1225 » by jbk1234 » Fri Feb 10, 2023 12:35 am

I suspect that one of the issues the Cavs ran into was potential trade partners insisting on Okoro in return. I'm glad we didn't trade him for an 8th or 9th guy in the rotation.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
TheLand13
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,533

Post#1226 » by TheLand13 » Fri Feb 10, 2023 1:37 am

jbk1234 wrote:
mcfly1204 wrote:I'd love to retain LeVert after this season. His scoring is inconsistent, but he can do a lot on the court.

Not all of it good.

I think at this point, Levert has earned a spot on the team going forward. Yes, his scoring comes and goes, but he’s taken a big step defensively this season and his ability to be a secondary playmaker makes it easy to play him alongside any of the guards we have now, whether it be Garland, Mitchell, and Rubio. That’s an extremely valuable sixth man to have on your team.

I’m super thrilled that we didn’t give up Okoro. He’s been playing so well this season that at this point, he should no longer be a trading option. He’s an incredibly valuable player to this team and we will continue to rely heavily on the positives he brings on a nightly basis.

I will say that I wish we could have snagged O’Neal, but I understand that the asking price probably wasn’t something we were willing to give into.

Still plenty of games left to go, bring them on.
JujitsuFlip
General Manager
And1: 5,060

Post#1227 » by JujitsuFlip » Fri Feb 10, 2023 2:05 am

I will be interested to see who fills the 15th roster spot, may just end up being one of the 2 way guys.
KuruptedCav
Analyst
And1: 1,125

Post#1228 » by KuruptedCav » Fri Feb 10, 2023 2:39 am

JujitsuFlip wrote:I will be interested to see who fills the 15th roster spot, may just end up being one of the 2 way guys.

I wouldn’t mind seeing some Mobley or Diakite…. They’ve been fun with Cooper for the Charge.

https://youtu.be/TpXis_GZ_-c

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1229 » by jbk1234 » Fri Feb 10, 2023 2:54 am

Sounds like Brooklyn wanted more than a first for Royce. It's hard to argue with Altman's reasoning for standing pat here, they just need to be very, very careful about Levert's next deal.
Read on Twitter
?s=20&t=rZupt8ocGC7pOHX_5bpKZg
cbosh4mvp wrote:
JujitsuFlip
General Manager

Post#1230 » by JujitsuFlip » Fri Feb 10, 2023 3:01 am

toooskies wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:So Matt Moore is reporting that we're going to buy out Love, which just makes no sense to me.

Read on Twitter

Doesn't make any sense to Altman either.
Makes sense to hold onto Love, just in case he gets healthy.
ijspeelman
Forum Mod - Cavs
Forum Mod - Cavs

Post#1231 » by ijspeelman » Fri Feb 10, 2023 3:10 am

JujitsuFlip wrote:
toooskies wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:So Matt Moore is reporting that we're going to buy out Love, which just makes no sense to me.

Read on Twitter

I do wonder if he cares about PT nowadays. I’d still love to bring him back on a vet min just to be a vet.
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#1232 » by JonFromVA » Fri Feb 10, 2023 3:16 am

ijspeelman wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:
toooskies wrote:
Read on Twitter

I do wonder if he cares about PT nowadays. I’d still love to bring him back on a vet min just to be a vet.

Hard to imagine unless he loves working his ass off just to warm a bench. It'd likely be more fun to join the Lakers where defense is not a priority.
ijspeelman
Forum Mod - Cavs
Forum Mod - Cavs

Post#1233 » by ijspeelman » Fri Feb 10, 2023 3:23 am

JonFromVA wrote:
ijspeelman wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:Makes sense to hold onto Love, just in case he gets healthy.

Hard to imagine unless he loves working his ass off just to warm a bench. It'd likely be more fun to join the Lakers where defense is not a priority.

They did add one of my fav 4/5s in Vanderbilt that may be a fun start next to AD, but that is outside the scope of this thread :P
johnnyballgame
Senior
And1: 76

Post#1234 » by johnnyballgame » Fri Feb 10, 2023 6:58 am

Who needs any of those guys anyway?

We've got Raul Neto!

14 points, 8 assists and five fouls.
Just 2 assists and five fouls away from a triple double!
And he's just been sitting on the bench waiting to be unleashed.
Kyrie most of the time when he shoots starts with the ball and then dribbles a while then shoots. -statistical analysis from a 'longtime' Cavs fan (June 2017)
jasonxxx102
Veteran
And1: 2,723

Post#1235 » by jasonxxx102 » Fri Feb 10, 2023 11:24 am

I’m relieved the Cavs didn’t make any trades.

Run with what you’ve got this year and upgrade next season
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#1236 » by JonFromVA » Fri Feb 10, 2023 3:37 pm

johnnyballgame wrote:Who needs any of those guys anyway?

We've got Raul Neto!

Neto has impressed every time he's gotten a chance. I hope he gets the chance to earn a decent contract before his career is over.

Even though Garland, Mitchell, and Rubio have all missed a lot of games ... the Cavs have only two players without a positive OnCourt +/- this season and they are 2 of our garbage time players who's job is to run out the clock (Diakite and Lopez).

The last time anything like that happened for the Cavs was in '06/'07 when somehow LeBron managed to play in almost every lineup and we featured two veteran PG's who used to be starters in Eric Snow and Damon Jones.
JujitsuFlip
General Manager

Post#1237 » by JujitsuFlip » Fri Feb 10, 2023 4:00 pm

johnnyballgame wrote:Who needs any of those guys anyway?

We've got Raul Neto!

He fills the 3rd PG spot well, I would like to have him back next season.
TheLand13
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,533

Post#1238 » by TheLand13 » Fri Feb 10, 2023 4:26 pm

JonFromVA wrote:
ijspeelman wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:Makes sense to hold onto Love, just in case he gets healthy.

I think Love realizes that Cleveland’s future is incredibly bright and he wants to continue to be a part of the team going forward, no matter the role. Part of me also thinks he’s grown to love the city and its franchise. It’s the team that allowed him the chance to live out his dream of playing in an NBA finals (and he’s been able to play in three… and hell he even got to win one as their third option).

Love is just built different.
toooskies
Analyst
And1: 1,652

Post#1239 » by toooskies » Fri Feb 10, 2023 4:59 pm

Neto's the smallest guy on the team and also the enforcer off the bench.
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#1240 » by JonFromVA » Fri Feb 10, 2023 8:18 pm

TheLand13 wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:
ijspeelman wrote:

I think Love realizes that Cleveland’s future is incredibly bright and he wants to continue to be a part of the team going forward, no matter the role. Part of me also thinks he’s grown to love the city and its franchise. It’s the team that allowed him the chance to live out his dream of playing in an NBA finals (and he’s been able to play in three… and hell he even got to win one as their third option).

Love is just built different.

Fan fiction?

I mean it's one thing to accept riding the bench when your team has treated you well, is paying you $31M, plans to honor you the rest of your career, your contract will be up soon, and you will likely get the chance to try to get back to full health and show something to perhaps earn a new contract.

But on the flip side, imagine for a moment you've earned $260M in your career, you have a supermodel wife, and can literally be spending your time doing ANYTHING you want ... is that sitting on the bench cheering for the guys on a league minimum contract?

Even as a super Cavs fan like we all are, wouldn't it be more fun to just show up and sit courtside whenever you want? Perhaps enjoy some games from the owner's box? Why subject yourself to having to sit and watch the Cavs .vs. Pistons in the middle of February?

If he can't find a team willing to give him a decent contract and a decent role and he just loves the game too much to give it up, he could just sit out most of the regular season and join a contender that needs him when he feels like it. He wouldn't even be bound by the waived player playoff-roster cutoff date. He could sign as late as April 9th.

Odds are someone gets hurt before the end of the season and Kevin will get another chance to prove he has a role on this team, but if JBB would just prefer consistency over the occasional Cavalanche ... Kevin just may no longer have a role on the team.

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers