ImageImageImage

Cavs aquire Lauri Markkanen via S&T - 4 years/ 67 million

Moderator: jbk1234

User avatar
PaKii94
General Manager
Posts: 8,765
And1: 4,946
Joined: Aug 22, 2013
     

Cavs aquire Lauri Markkanen via S&T - 4 years/ 67 million 

Post#1 » by PaKii94 » Fri Aug 27, 2021 5:08 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=20

Congrats y'all got a steal guys! I wanted the bulls to pair Jarrett Allen next to Lauri and I wanted them to draft Garland over Coby. Alas, I'll have to watch it play out on your team. Should be fun to see how it goes.

Lauri was my second favorite player from the bulls after Jimmy Butler. He flashed a lot of potential but never really got to take off with the tanking and poor PG situation we had throughout Lauri's rookie contract.

Here is some reading material to give y'all a backgtound of his career so far. I think he can get back to what I was predicting back then.

This is a breakdown of year 1 & 2 and using that to predict year 3: https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?p=78164481#p78164481

Unfortunately, worst case scenario happened in year 3. He got injured early on and became an afterthought in the primitive Boylen offense. He still showed some flashes though:
https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?p=82217073#p82217073

Last year (year 4), he was almost back on track! He was averaging 23/8 p36 @66.5TS% as a 4th option starting PF. Covid/injuries issues again derailed the season.
Unfortunately when he came back, he was put out of position at C for a few games (Lauri can't be a primary rim protector, but will be great next to JA and Mobley), then bulls traded for Vuc and benched Lauri.

Lauri still averaged 16.5/7.6 p36 @ 62TS% but he was a complete afterthought going from 4th option to like 8th option.

I can easily see Lauri back at 20/8 @ 60-65%TS if he is a focal point for you guys. I'm excited to see it.
Harper4Ferry?
Starter
Posts: 2,118
And1: 52
Joined: Jun 29, 2002

Re: Cavs aquire Lauri Markkanen via S&T - 4 years/ 67 million 

Post#2 » by Harper4Ferry? » Fri Aug 27, 2021 5:30 pm

I like this trade.
LivingLegend
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,972
And1: 6,818
Joined: Jul 30, 2015

Re: Cavs aquire Lauri Markkanen via S&T - 4 years/ 67 million 

Post#3 » by LivingLegend » Fri Aug 27, 2021 5:44 pm

I hate this trade.

Larry Nance was the only player other teams actually wanted---and the best you could get for him was Lauri F'n Markkaneneen!!?!?!

Not a Guard or SF that could shoot the ball? But a disgruntled backup PF on a inflated, undeserved contract?!

Holy **** man this team. Put this plaque up there in Kobe Altmans office next to signing Love for 30M+ per year and trading KPJ for a bag of chips. He has hit the trifecta.
User avatar
PaKii94
General Manager
Posts: 8,765
And1: 4,946
Joined: Aug 22, 2013
     

Re: Cavs aquire Lauri Markkanen via S&T - 4 years/ 67 million 

Post#4 » by PaKii94 » Fri Aug 27, 2021 5:47 pm

And I'm a bulls fan who is bittersweet about this trade
LivingLegend
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,972
And1: 6,818
Joined: Jul 30, 2015

Re: Cavs aquire Lauri Markkanen via S&T - 4 years/ 67 million 

Post#5 » by LivingLegend » Fri Aug 27, 2021 5:51 pm

PaKii94 wrote:And I'm a bulls fan who is bittersweet about this trade


Heres the thing though... Larry Nance is a better PF than LM and he was on a cheaper contract. This trade makes absolutly no sense and Koby Altman should fire himself for making it.
User avatar
PaKii94
General Manager
Posts: 8,765
And1: 4,946
Joined: Aug 22, 2013
     

Re: Cavs aquire Lauri Markkanen via S&T - 4 years/ 67 million 

Post#6 » by PaKii94 » Fri Aug 27, 2021 5:55 pm

Spoiler:
LivingLegend wrote:
PaKii94 wrote:And I'm a bulls fan who is bittersweet about this trade


Heres the thing though... Larry Nance is a better PF than LM and he was on a cheaper contract. This trade makes absolutly no sense and Koby Altman should fire himself for making it.


If you use Lauri like the bulls used Lauri, a catch and shoot 3 point shooter standing in the corner. Then it's wayyyy over pay. Then yeah lance is a better role player PF to have. However you give him dedicated touches (2nd-3rd option) and you'll come to see his contract as a massive bargain. I think he can out perform John Collins next year and JC got paid $25 mil per year.

Lauri is still young. He needed a fresh new situation. This is a guy who two years ago discussions were "Would you rather have Lauri or Tatum?" Then Celtics made Tatum a primary option and massive touches. Bulls instead put Lauri in a corner and let Coby dribble the ball off his foot.
LivingLegend
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,972
And1: 6,818
Joined: Jul 30, 2015

Re: Cavs aquire Lauri Markkanen via S&T - 4 years/ 67 million 

Post#7 » by LivingLegend » Fri Aug 27, 2021 5:59 pm

PaKii94 wrote:
Spoiler:
LivingLegend wrote:
PaKii94 wrote:And I'm a bulls fan who is bittersweet about this trade


Heres the thing though... Larry Nance is a better PF than LM and he was on a cheaper contract. This trade makes absolutly no sense and Koby Altman should fire himself for making it.


If you use Lauri like the bulls used Lauri, a catch and shoot 3 point shooter standing in the corner. Then it's wayyyy over pay. Then yeah lance is a better role player PF to have. However you give him dedicated touches (2nd-3rd option) and you'll come to see his contract as a massive bargain. I think he can out perform John Collins next year and JC got paid $25 mil per year.

Lauri is still young. He needed a fresh new situation. This is a guy who two years ago discussions were "Would you rather have Lauri or Tatum?" Then Celtics made Tatum a primary option and massive touches. Bulls instead put Lauri in a corner and let Coby dribble the ball off his foot.


Heres the problem, hes not going to get 2nd or 3rd option touches with Sexton/Garland/Mobley/Okoro on the roster. Hes going to be a rotational big man (like Nance) who gets 15-20min per night and asked to stand in the corner to shoot 3s.

He also plays 0 defense on a team that desperately needs defense and just traded away one of their best defenders in Nance.
Wisedude
Sophomore
Posts: 236
And1: 99
Joined: Jul 04, 2017

Re: Cavs aquire Lauri Markkanen via S&T - 4 years/ 67 million 

Post#8 » by Wisedude » Fri Aug 27, 2021 6:01 pm

I would also make this trade for the Cavs. Lauri Markkanen is a long range shooter and still only 24 years old. He fits the continued rebuild in a great way. His best basketball is ahead of him. He has to play the 4 imo but that is OK. Who knows if something is brewing on the Love front.
User avatar
PaKii94
General Manager
Posts: 8,765
And1: 4,946
Joined: Aug 22, 2013
     

Re: Cavs aquire Lauri Markkanen via S&T - 4 years/ 67 million 

Post#9 » by PaKii94 » Fri Aug 27, 2021 6:02 pm

LivingLegend wrote:
PaKii94 wrote:
Spoiler:
LivingLegend wrote:
Heres the thing though... Larry Nance is a better PF than LM and he was on a cheaper contract. This trade makes absolutly no sense and Koby Altman should fire himself for making it.


If you use Lauri like the bulls used Lauri, a catch and shoot 3 point shooter standing in the corner. Then it's wayyyy over pay. Then yeah lance is a better role player PF to have. However you give him dedicated touches (2nd-3rd option) and you'll come to see his contract as a massive bargain. I think he can out perform John Collins next year and JC got paid $25 mil per year.

Lauri is still young. He needed a fresh new situation. This is a guy who two years ago discussions were "Would you rather have Lauri or Tatum?" Then Celtics made Tatum a primary option and massive touches. Bulls instead put Lauri in a corner and let Coby dribble the ball off his foot.


Heres the problem, hes not going to get 2nd or 3rd option touches with Sexton/Garland/Mobley/Okoro on the roster. Hes going to be a rotational big man (like Nance) who gets 15-20min per night and asked to stand in the corner to shoot 3s.



I know mobley is the shiny new toy but he's not ready to take a load yet. He'll do well developing off the bench. Okoro is not an offensive option. The concern is sexland but I think that's why Rubio was brought in to push sexton to full SG. Garland I'm not concerned about (besides defense). I think Lauri starts for y'all and gets at least 3rd option looks. For Lauri's sake. As a fan of his I've been banging my head against the wall at the bulls incompetence.

As far as defense goes, expect "average". His defensive deficiency is overblown. He can't be a full time rim protector but he's decent on the perimeter. He can hold his own on a good defense but won't actively improve your defense. With the bulls we had one of the worst point of attack defense in the league with Coby and Zach and some of the worst rim protection with wcj/Thad at C which would make any player look bad.

Fortunately, Lauri played some of his best ball next to Robin Lopez. And Jarrett Allen is a massive rim protector/rebounder upgrade from him
Wisedude
Sophomore
Posts: 236
And1: 99
Joined: Jul 04, 2017

Re: Cavs aquire Lauri Markkanen via S&T - 4 years/ 67 million 

Post#10 » by Wisedude » Fri Aug 27, 2021 6:14 pm

The Cavs are still a developing team and know they need another high draft pick next year. The Cavs are young and talented. Lauri Markkanen has such a good shooting stroke. The roster is still evolving but in a really good way. Even if Love is here, it is ok.
LivingLegend
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,972
And1: 6,818
Joined: Jul 30, 2015

Re: Cavs aquire Lauri Markkanen via S&T - 4 years/ 67 million 

Post#11 » by LivingLegend » Fri Aug 27, 2021 6:16 pm

Wisedude wrote:The Cavs are still a developing team and know they need another high draft pick next year. The Cavs are young and talented. Lauri Markkanen has such a good shooting stroke. The roster is still evolving but in a really good way. Even if Love is here, it is ok.


Besides the fact that the only true SF that they have on the roster is Osman who would be a 13th man off the bench on any decent team.
Wisedude
Sophomore
Posts: 236
And1: 99
Joined: Jul 04, 2017

Re: Cavs aquire Lauri Markkanen via S&T - 4 years/ 67 million 

Post#12 » by Wisedude » Fri Aug 27, 2021 6:26 pm

LivingLegend wrote:
Wisedude wrote:The Cavs are still a developing team and know they need another high draft pick next year. The Cavs are young and talented. Lauri Markkanen has such a good shooting stroke. The roster is still evolving but in a really good way. Even if Love is here, it is ok.


Besides the fact that the only true SF that they have on the roster is Osman who would be a 13th man off the bench on any decent team.


Windler's best position imo is the small forward so need to get him healthy to start the season. Did you think the Cavs were going to be a finished roster product this offseason? To put together a top team takes years (just ask Milwaukee). Altman, Gansey, Weems and the entire Coaching staff were certainly on board with this trade. Cavs were a poor shooting team and this helps. Next year in the draft, small forward will be a priority.
Wisedude
Sophomore
Posts: 236
And1: 99
Joined: Jul 04, 2017

Re: Cavs aquire Lauri Markkanen via S&T - 4 years/ 67 million 

Post#13 » by Wisedude » Fri Aug 27, 2021 6:32 pm

Cavs could have trade Nance to the Blazers for Derrick Jones and the 1st round pick lottery protected. But Lauri Markkanen with 4 years in the league already at 24 can help right now where a draft pick is a long wait to pick and develop. Plus the Cavs have their own 1st round picks going forward. So I would do this trade also.
Wisedude
Sophomore
Posts: 236
And1: 99
Joined: Jul 04, 2017

Re: Cavs aquire Lauri Markkanen via S&T - 4 years/ 67 million 

Post#14 » by Wisedude » Fri Aug 27, 2021 6:43 pm

Nance is a poor outside shooter with terrible shooting mechanics. He is a defender/rebounder/shot blocker. But that Cavs have those attributes with Jarrett Allen and now Mobley. Just got a very good shooter who can space the floor.
User avatar
PaKii94
General Manager
Posts: 8,765
And1: 4,946
Joined: Aug 22, 2013
     

Re: Cavs aquire Lauri Markkanen via S&T - 4 years/ 67 million 

Post#15 » by PaKii94 » Fri Aug 27, 2021 6:45 pm

Also it's time y'all took possession of this:



I ain't never had time for no arguments
Big ass shotgun, look like Lauri Markkanen!
FranchisePlayer
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,293
And1: 453
Joined: Oct 25, 2019
 

Re: Cavs aquire Lauri Markkanen via S&T - 4 years/ 67 million 

Post#16 » by FranchisePlayer » Fri Aug 27, 2021 6:56 pm

Harper4Ferry? wrote:I like this trade.


Me too. A high-end talent having a chance to play with a competent PG.

Something the Bulls were never able to provide.
MrSparkle wrote:I don't see a scenario here or there where Lauri becomes the "7-pick we thought he could be." If you remove his 3P ability, he's worse than Felicio by a mile.
FranchisePlayer
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,293
And1: 453
Joined: Oct 25, 2019
 

Re: Cavs aquire Lauri Markkanen via S&T - 4 years/ 67 million 

Post#17 » by FranchisePlayer » Fri Aug 27, 2021 6:59 pm

LivingLegend wrote:
PaKii94 wrote:And I'm a bulls fan who is bittersweet about this trade


Heres the thing though... Larry Nance is a better PF than LM and he was on a cheaper contract. This trade makes absolutly no sense and Koby Altman should fire himself for making it.


Markkanen is 4 years younger and offensively much more gifted. Nance will be for the rest of his career on a cheaper contract, for a reason.

Give the guy a break and see what happens.
MrSparkle wrote:I don't see a scenario here or there where Lauri becomes the "7-pick we thought he could be." If you remove his 3P ability, he's worse than Felicio by a mile.
JonFromVA
General Manager
Posts: 8,113
And1: 2,373
Joined: Dec 08, 2009
     

Re: Cavs aquire Lauri Markkanen via S&T - 4 years/ 67 million 

Post#18 » by JonFromVA » Fri Aug 27, 2021 7:02 pm

PaKii94 wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=20

Congrats y'all got a steal guys! I wanted the bulls to pair Jarrett Allen next to Lauri and I wanted them to draft Garland over Coby. Alas, I'll have to watch it play out on your team. Should be fun to see how it goes.

Lauri was my second favorite player from the bulls after Jimmy Butler. He flashed a lot of potential but never really got to take off with the tanking and poor PG situation we had throughout Lauri's rookie contract.

Here is some reading material to give y'all a backgtound of his career so far. I think he can get back to what I was predicting back then.

This is a breakdown of year 1 & 2 and using that to predict year 3: https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?p=78164481#p78164481

Unfortunately, worst case scenario happened in year 3. He got injured early on and became an afterthought in the primitive Boylen offense. He still showed some flashes though:
https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?p=82217073#p82217073

Last year (year 4), he was almost back on track! He was averaging 23/8 p36 @66.5TS% as a 4th option starting PF. Covid/injuries issues again derailed the season.
Unfortunately when he came back, he was put out of position at C for a few games (Lauri can't be a primary rim protector, but will be great next to JA and Mobley), then bulls traded for Vuc and benched Lauri.

Lauri still averaged 16.5/7.6 p36 @ 62TS% but he was a complete afterthought going from 4th option to like 8th option.

I can easily see Lauri back at 20/8 @ 60-65%TS if he is a focal point for you guys. I'm excited to see it.


Thanks for the report. I've got a lot to absorb before I'll come to an opinion other than a few quick takes (haha):

1) Nance is great and will be missed, but we can't trust him to stay healthy, play big minutes, or start;
2) We need reliable 3pt shooting and Lauri is more reliable than Larry;
3) Lauri's contract is well above MLE level, but that's basically what it takes, and I'm not too concerned;
4) Lauri's age and contract length fits better with our core;
5) Lauri may be coming off the bench, but if so, he will have a bigger role and will still likely be paired with either Allen or Mobley at C and Rubio at PG;

otoh, what does this do for our wing search and do we still have the full MLE to work with? Or are we basically done short of dipping in to the luxury tax?
Wisedude
Sophomore
Posts: 236
And1: 99
Joined: Jul 04, 2017

Re: Cavs aquire Lauri Markkanen via S&T - 4 years/ 67 million 

Post#19 » by Wisedude » Fri Aug 27, 2021 7:21 pm

JonFromVA wrote:
PaKii94 wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=20

Congrats y'all got a steal guys! I wanted the bulls to pair Jarrett Allen next to Lauri and I wanted them to draft Garland over Coby. Alas, I'll have to watch it play out on your team. Should be fun to see how it goes.

Lauri was my second favorite player from the bulls after Jimmy Butler. He flashed a lot of potential but never really got to take off with the tanking and poor PG situation we had throughout Lauri's rookie contract.

Here is some reading material to give y'all a backgtound of his career so far. I think he can get back to what I was predicting back then.

This is a breakdown of year 1 & 2 and using that to predict year 3: https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?p=78164481#p78164481

Unfortunately, worst case scenario happened in year 3. He got injured early on and became an afterthought in the primitive Boylen offense. He still showed some flashes though:
https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?p=82217073#p82217073

Last year (year 4), he was almost back on track! He was averaging 23/8 p36 @66.5TS% as a 4th option starting PF. Covid/injuries issues again derailed the season.
Unfortunately when he came back, he was put out of position at C for a few games (Lauri can't be a primary rim protector, but will be great next to JA and Mobley), then bulls traded for Vuc and benched Lauri.

Lauri still averaged 16.5/7.6 p36 @ 62TS% but he was a complete afterthought going from 4th option to like 8th option.

I can easily see Lauri back at 20/8 @ 60-65%TS if he is a focal point for you guys. I'm excited to see it.


Thanks for the report. I've got a lot to absorb before I'll come to an opinion other than a few quick takes (haha):

1) Nance is great and will be missed, but we can't trust him to stay healthy, play big minutes, or start;
2) We need reliable 3pt shooting and Lauri is more reliable than Larry;
3) Lauri's contract is well above MLE level, but that's basically what it takes, and I'm not too concerned;
4) Lauri's age and contract length fits better with our core;
5) Lauri may be coming off the bench, but if so, he will have a bigger role and will still likely be paired with either Allen or Mobley at C and Rubio at PG;

otoh, what does this do for our wing search and do we still have the full MLE to work with? Or are we basically done short of dipping in to the luxury tax?


Nance is NOT great. If Nance was a great player he would not have been traded. Nance never made the All-Star team either. He is a limited offensive player, below average shooter. Good guy, good teammate, good defender, get all that but not a great player.
Harper4Ferry?
Starter
Posts: 2,118
And1: 52
Joined: Jun 29, 2002

Re: Cavs aquire Lauri Markkanen via S&T - 4 years/ 67 million 

Post#20 » by Harper4Ferry? » Fri Aug 27, 2021 7:26 pm

I believe we are now hard capped after receiving a player in S&T

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers