Darius Garland Discussion

Moderator: jbk1234

PaKii94
General Manager
And1: 4,946

Darius Garland Discussion 

Post#1 » by PaKii94 » Mon Aug 30, 2021 7:55 pm

Hi guys,

Can y'all summarize for me how Garland's career has gone so far on the Cavs? As a Vandy alum, I badly wanted him for the bulls over Coby white. Coming into the draft, my concern was his size and his ability to play defense due to his size. But since we saw Trae young blow up, I was a bit less concerned.

Now that Lauri's on your team. I am invested in Garland again since he'll be the PG responsible for getting Lauri the ball :)
JonFromVA
General Manager
And1: 2,369

Re: Darius Garland Discussion 

Post#2 » by JonFromVA » Mon Aug 30, 2021 8:56 pm

PaKii94 wrote:Hi guys,

Can y'all summarize for me how Garland's career has gone so far on the Cavs? As a Vandy alum, I badly wanted him for the bulls over Coby white. Coming into the draft, my concern was his size and his ability to play defense due to his size. But since we saw Trae young blow up, I was a bit less concerned.

Now that Lauri's on your team. I am invested in Garland again since he'll be the PG responsible for getting Lauri the ball :)

He was getting overpowered by bigger guards and/on switches last season, but showed improvement on D, gave effort, and exhibited some smarts in terms of being where he needed to be.

As a PG he's making solid progress, his court vision has been solid. He had a nice 2-man game going with Allen. He's been working on a floater, but needs to work more on just finishing. His dribble is very good and he uses change of pace. He's a talented shooter, but you can see him dial it back when his shot isn't falling.

Some wonder if he just needs to assert himself more. For instance, he's been a better 3pt shooter than Trae Young but because he doesn't keep constant pressure on the defense with the threat of that shot like Young does he may be giving up the chance for easier assists and drives.

Otoh, our floor spacing has been terrible, so, when our guards drive they have to deal with multiple defenders at the rim.

I think it's all related and as his shot becomes more consistent his confidence will improve and with decent floor spacing his game should really open up for him.
PaKii94
General Manager
And1: 4,946

Post#3 » by PaKii94 » Tue Aug 31, 2021 12:39 am

JonFromVA wrote:

He was getting overpowered by bigger guards and/on switches last season, but showed improvement on D, gave effort, and exhibited some smarts in terms of being where he needed to be.

As a PG he's making solid progress, his court vision has been solid. He had a nice 2-man game going with Allen. He's been working on a floater, but needs to work more on just finishing. His dribble is very good and he uses change of pace. He's a talented shooter, but you can see him dial it back when his shot isn't falling.

Some wonder if he just needs to assert himself more. For instance, he's been a better 3pt shooter than Trae Young but because he doesn't keep constant pressure on the defense with the threat of that shot like Young does he may be giving up the chance for easier assists and drives.

Otoh, our floor spacing has been terrible, so, when our guards drive they have to deal with multiple defenders at the rim.

I think it's all related and as his shot becomes more consistent his confidence will improve and with decent floor spacing his game should really open up for him.

Hmmm sounds like he's developing like I expected him to. Do you have any insight to his improvement post all star break last year? Was it more opportunities or a lack of other options? Were there injuries?
JonFromVA
General Manager
And1: 2,369

Post#4 » by JonFromVA » Tue Aug 31, 2021 1:09 am

PaKii94 wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:

Hmmm sounds like he's developing like I expected him to. Do you have any insight to his improvement post all star break last year? Was it more opportunities or a lack of other options? Were there injuries?

Not much to say ... his play was picking up - and then he got hurt. There was like a 5 game stretch we started Dean Wade and his shooting started opening things up. Taurean Prince also had his stretch of fame, but I don't recall if that was in the same month DG was averaging 20 & 8.

The lack of shooting and spacing was painfully obvious and we lacked any depth to survive the injuries to Love, Allen, Prince, Nance, Delly, Sexton, Garland, etc, etc

Cedi Osman tried to cease the day, and delivered his worst season. If you hear us refer to point-Cedi its not because it worked.

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers