toooskies
Analyst
And1: 1,640

Re: Darius Garland Discussion 

Post#21 » by toooskies » Wed May 18, 2022 4:45 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
KuruptedCav wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:
Look at the date of the article. It was written a month into last season. I haven't done a deep dive into what his advanced numbers look like all season long, but my eyes tell me he's a bad defender, and in your scenario he's guarding the other team's best guard.

He's not even that good offensively, his 3 point% last year was worse than Okoro's, he's pretty high usage, he's rarely healthy, and he's on a max deal thereby destroying any cap space we'd have in the summer of 2023.

This would be LeVert all over again. The Wolves would love to dump him just for future cap space right now. There's a reason for that. The Cavs need to stop wasting picks and future cap on guys with serious flaws in their games, especially ones who are 26 and over. They are who they are.

We don't know who Okoro might develop into or who the the guy selected at No. 14 might be. We know that unless we sign Sexton to an unmovable deal, we'll have a good chunk of cap space next summer. We don't know who might be available.

Plenty of articles, since, highlighting his defense throughout the year, and I’m not sure I follow how a 1yr $30 million player messes with 2023. But one name in a list. Replace with Malcolm Brogdon.

I also don’t see Altman changing his stripes and accepting the level of risk that comes with Love, Cedi, Sexton, LeVert hitting free agency. Striking out could look a lot like Larry Hughes.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app

When it comes to F.A., f you tell yourself you can't have nice things, then you won't have nice things. But just leaving a maxish slot available will get articles written, agents talking, and potential free agents thinking about joining a team where the average starter's age is 23 and they're good. Players want to get paid and they want to win. Those are the two most important criteria. Even a guy like Cam Payne, as a zero cost addition, would be a nice add.

But even if the Cavs strike out, they can always trade the cap space for an expiring player. After the summer of 2024, we won't have cap space again so it won't matter. Once we extend Mobley, that's it. We'll be a an over-cap team for as long as Allen, Garland, and Mobley on are the squad. We have a window here. We're an attractive roster to potential FAs and we'll have space.

The problem is to get cap space in the first place we have to narrow our roster down to 7-8 guys. We have to let most or all of Sexton, Love, LeVert, Windler, and probably Dean Wade walk (if they don't sign for <$5m). At which point we can maybe get 1-2 guys to replace them, who will probably have sufficient demand to choose another destination.

Or we could just sign & extend guys now who want to be here and trade them for better fits down the line if available, which seems like a much clearer path to maintaining some degree of talent on the roster.
JonFromVA
RealGM
And1: 4,373

Re: Darius Garland Discussion 

Post#22 » by JonFromVA » Wed May 18, 2022 6:43 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
KuruptedCav wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:
Look at the date of the article. It was written a month into last season. I haven't done a deep dive into what his advanced numbers look like all season long, but my eyes tell me he's a bad defender, and in your scenario he's guarding the other team's best guard.

He's not even that good offensively, his 3 point% last year was worse than Okoro's, he's pretty high usage, he's rarely healthy, and he's on a max deal thereby destroying any cap space we'd have in the summer of 2023.

This would be LeVert all over again. The Wolves would love to dump him just for future cap space right now. There's a reason for that. The Cavs need to stop wasting picks and future cap on guys with serious flaws in their games, especially ones who are 26 and over. They are who they are.

We don't know who Okoro might develop into or who the the guy selected at No. 14 might be. We know that unless we sign Sexton to an unmovable deal, we'll have a good chunk of cap space next summer. We don't know who might be available.

Plenty of articles, since, highlighting his defense throughout the year, and I’m not sure I follow how a 1yr $30 million player messes with 2023. But one name in a list. Replace with Malcolm Brogdon.

I also don’t see Altman changing his stripes and accepting the level of risk that comes with Love, Cedi, Sexton, LeVert hitting free agency. Striking out could look a lot like Larry Hughes.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app

When it comes to F.A., f you tell yourself you can't have nice things, then you won't have nice things. But just leaving a maxish slot available will get articles written, agents talking, and potential free agents thinking about joining a team where the average starter's age is 23 and they're good. Players want to get paid and they want to win. Those are the two most important criteria. Even a guy like Cam Payne, as a zero cost addition, would be a nice add.

But even if the Cavs strike out, they can always trade the cap space for an expiring player. After the summer of 2024, we won't have cap space again so it won't matter. Once we extend Mobley, that's it. We'll be a an over-cap team for as long as Allen, Garland, and Mobley on are the squad. We have a window here. We're an attractive roster to potential FAs and we'll have space.

Hey, that's why the NBA has collusion. "Striking out" is not an acceptable business plan.

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers