2021 predictions(first 37 games)

Moderator: ijspeelman

Harper4Ferry?
Starter
And1: 78

2021 predictions(first 37 games) 

Post#1 » by Harper4Ferry? » Fri Oct 15, 2021 5:53 pm

There’s 37 games in the rest of this Calendar year. Make some predictions

1. How many wins, and will JBB/Altman still be the head coach/GM as it strikes 2022. Or simply over/ under…13 wins at this point.
2. What player not named Evan Mobley will people be surprised about, good or bad.
3. How good will Evan Mobley be? Do you think he’ll be our obvious best player?
4. Realistically who, if anyone will be traded before DEC 31
5. Will we be last/near last in 3s attempted?
6. How many points per game will Sexton be averaging
7. First opening night starter to get benched.
8. Hoe many times will some random mention KPJ on this forum(Jk. :))
FranchisePlayer
Sixth Man
And1: 598

Re: 2021 predictions(first 37 games) 

Post#2 » by FranchisePlayer » Fri Oct 15, 2021 6:34 pm

1. I try to stay positive and say 15.
2. Markkanen, positively surprised of his offensive prowess. Probably if and when he hits the IR for the first time, there'll be surprisingly many disappointed fans. Rubio good, too. IMO he could turn out to be a fantastic acquisition if the leash isn't too tight.
3. Mobley looks very poised. Having said that, usually the guy with the most weapons offensively will get labeled as best player. So we'll see. (37 games is A pretty short evaluation period, though)
4. Realistically, difficult to say. I go with Love. Realistically, his time is up in Cavs jersey. If they find a dance partner, he's as good as gone.
5. Yeah, we could be.
6. Hopefully not more than 24.
7. Markkanen.
MrSparkle wrote:I don't see a scenario here or there where Lauri becomes the "7-pick we thought he could be." If you remove his 3P ability, he's worse than Felicio by a mile.

12/2/2022
I like the quote- it makes me chuckle. And it was/is pretty much true.
Harper4Ferry?
Starter
And1: 78

Post#3 » by Harper4Ferry? » Sat Oct 16, 2021 4:42 pm

1. I'm guessing we're like 10-27, the schedule is hard. If we're doing as poorly as I expect, I'm willing to bet that JBB gets fired
2. I think Windler will stay healthy and earn a lot of minutes and do well.
3. By the end of this calendar year I'd expect most casual fans to be drooling over Mobley's balanced skills
4. I think we'll move Sexton after Dec 12, assuming we don't have him under an extension. There's several teams that we could probably work something out with. Sexton/Love out for Kennard/Bledsoe(bought out) and a few second rounders would be my guess for a deal .
5. I assume we'll still be living in drive and floater flat earth world this year. Gotta get the ball out of Sexton's hands.
6. Assuming something like 19ppg
7. Okoro.
gflem
Analyst
And1: 276

Post#4 » by gflem » Sun Oct 17, 2021 2:07 pm

Harper4Ferry? wrote:There’s 37 games in the rest of this Calendar year. Make some predictions

1. How many wins, and will JBB/Altman still be the head coach/GM as it strikes 2022. Or simply over/ under…13 wins at this point.
2. What player not named Evan Mobley will people be surprised about, good or bad.

1.) 12 to 15 wins. JBB and Altman will still be employed by the Cavs. Over 13, but I wouldn't bet money on it.
2.) I would say Okoro if he was starting at the 2, but since that isn't happening I think the Garland detractors will be disappointed.
3.) I haven't seen any pre season games but it sounds like Mobley will be the best player, but not in the early season.
4.) Hopefully Love. Possibly Sexton, but I don't think anything will happen before the deadline.
5.) Yes.
6.) Low 20's.
7.) Sexton if any.
8.) Hopefully zero.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,127

Post#5 » by jbk1234 » Sun Oct 17, 2021 6:54 pm

Harper4Ferry? wrote:There’s 37 games in the rest of this Calendar year. Make some predictions

1. I honestly have no idea. Both Sexton and Garland started last season shooting at unsustainably high clips and surprised some teams. Once both guys got good enough to pay attention to in the opposing teams' film sessions, their efficiency returned to the mean. The beginning of the schedule is brutal and I could see a really rough start resulting in changes to the starting unit, or even the roster overall.

How long does Bickerstaff have to start Mobley if he looks too raw at 19 and the fit with Allen is less than ideal? If the past is prologue, then the answer is the entire season. If Gilbert has seen enough of force feeding rookies starting minutes before they're ready, maybe less. How much autonomy does Bickerstaff have regarding the starting unit and rotations? How quickly could the team's performance change that? How does a starting backcourt of Garland and Okoro perform? Same question with Rubio and Sexton? Same question with Rubio and Garland? I have no idea because we've been forcing the issue with *Sexland* for two years. I can't predict performance without knowing who are starters are or for how long they'll be starting. Gun to my head, 12-15 wins because the type of 2 guard we need probably isn't on the roster and it might take awhile to work out the rotations.

2. My (good) sleeper is Wade. He can get away with defending the 3, and if he can just shoot at league average from 3, Bickerstaff is going to have options. I think Love off the bench could result in him actually staying healthy and making positive contributions. All of Wade, Love, Cedi, Lauri, and Windler need to stay healthy and shoot at least league average from 3, or as far as I'm concerned, they shouldn't be back after this season. It's too important a skill set and they're all too limited in terms of what else they do to justify the roster spot, let alone the money.

3. My prediction is that Mobley will likely be our best player in two to three years but that as 19-year old big, he's going to have an up and down rookie season.

4. Ask me again after midnight tomorrow.

5. Ask me again after midnight tomorrow.

6. Ask me again after midnight tomorrow.

7. It should be Sexton, but it absolutely needs to be one of Garland or Sexton.

8. Stillwater is gone.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
toooskies
Analyst
And1: 1,650

Post#6 » by toooskies » Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:18 pm

I predict... pain.

1. Over 13 wins-- 16.
2. Markkanen will surprise by simply being an unusually tall SF instead of a PF/C with perimeter skills.
3. Mobley will be our best defensive player and will not be a liability offensively, which puts him up there with Rubio in being the least likely to be the reason we lose. Probably not the most likely to be the reason we win.
4. Sexton's the obvious answer to be answer, but more likely I'd think is that we trade our extra 2nds for a wing as a side piece much like we got Allen.
5. Yeah, probably near last in 3s attempted. The only rotation guys who should be shooting with much volume are Garland, Markkanen, maybe Sexton, and Love. Most teams have more than that.
6. Sexton will get 21ppg on similar efficiency (or better) but lower usage. Fewer assists since he won't play much PG, but slight improvements in situational passing according to the eye test.
7. Markkanen will be the first starter to not start, but I believe he'll be in and out of the starting lineup.
8. How many times is Houston on the schedule in the first half of the year?
toooskies
Analyst
And1: 1,650

Post#7 » by toooskies » Sun Dec 12, 2021 3:59 am

Bumping this only because the Cavs have tied the loftiest win projection from us of their 2021 schedule... 20 days ahead of time.
JonFromVA
RealGM
And1: 4,381

Post#8 » by JonFromVA » Sun Dec 12, 2021 3:34 pm

I didn't make a prediction because its so hard to tell when/if a young team will gell, just have to watch and look for signs.

Plus health is huge and a disaster in previous years.

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers