TheLand13
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,533

Re: Your ideal offseason plan 

Post#41 » by TheLand13 » Thu May 19, 2022 1:50 am

JonFromVA wrote:
TheLand13 wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:
I suspect you're underestimating the prospects of the player who just led the Suns to 64 wins - even at 37 ... we were pretty lucky to get Rubio at a point in his career when nobody in the league saw him as a starting PG anymore.

None of that matters if things don't work out with DA.

Why do you think Paul would be willing to accept something like the MLE to backup Darius rather than go start and make more money for someone else?

He wouldn’t, I’m saying it as a hypothetical if Paul didn’t have a long term contract and could be bought out this year. I already know there’s no way it could realistically happen right now.
JonFromVA
RealGM
And1: 4,390

Post#42 » by JonFromVA » Fri May 20, 2022 1:47 pm

TheLand13 wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:
TheLand13 wrote:
None of that matters if things don't work out with DA.

Why do you think Paul would be willing to accept something like the MLE to backup Darius rather than go start and make more money for someone else?

He wouldn’t, I’m saying it as a hypothetical if Paul didn’t have a long term contract and could be bought out this year. I already know there’s no way it could realistically happen right now.

Sure if all that happened, he'd still be getting paid more than we can offer and/or starting for a better team.
ijspeelman
Forum Mod - Cavs
Forum Mod - Cavs
And1: 858

Post#43 » by ijspeelman » Fri May 20, 2022 3:56 pm

jbk1234 wrote:I have the difference between Seth Curry and Sexton on the defensive end as illusory at best.

I think it can be argued Seth > Sexton is more beneficial for the team in its current state. We are missing players who are good without the ball and make the defense think harder about what they are doing. My fear with Sexton is that he will not learn to play well off-ball. Without any empirical evidence, Garland holding the ball more could explain why he struggled in his small sample size this year.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,156

Post#44 » by jbk1234 » Fri May 20, 2022 3:57 pm

ijspeelman wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:I have the difference between Seth Curry and Sexton on the defensive end as illusory at best.

I think it can be argued Seth > Sexton is more beneficial for the team in its current state. We are missing players who are good without the ball and make the defense think harder about what they are doing. My fear with Sexton is that he will not learn to play well off-ball. Without any empirical evidence, this could be why he struggled in his small sample size this year.

I have the same fear. If the Cavs retain him, it needs to be with the understanding he's going to be a sixth man here, and whatever he's paid, needs to reflect that reality.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
toooskies
Analyst
And1: 1,655

Post#45 » by toooskies » Fri May 20, 2022 9:28 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
ijspeelman wrote:

I think it can be argued Seth > Sexton is more beneficial for the team in its current state. We are missing players who are good without the ball and make the defense think harder about what they are doing. My fear with Sexton is that he will not learn to play well off-ball. Without any empirical evidence, this could be why he struggled in his small sample size this year.

I have the same fear. If the Cavs retain him, it needs to be with the understanding he's going to be a sixth man here, and whatever he's paid, needs to reflect that reality.

That may be your reality, but I don't know what led you to the conclusion that the Cavs' front office has decided that's theirs. I could see any of Sexton/LeVert/Okoro start, and I don't believe LeVert or Okoro did anything to make anyone believe they're definitely that guy going into the offseason.

As far as Sexton's shooting slump, it's just as easily the case that his shooting slump was due to the league changing the ball (throwing off more than one other NBA player to start the year, including Lillard and Beal) and the officiating rules (throwing off more than one other NBA player to start the year, including Harden and Trae Young).

Or maybe it was just a shooting slump. It isn't like Sexton was a better shooter off the dribble in the past-- 40% catch-and-shoot in 2020-21, 31% on pull-ups. (Around 25% in both in 21-22.) Similar difference in previous years. I kind of doubt it was only just the offense.
ijspeelman
Forum Mod - Cavs
Forum Mod - Cavs

Post#46 » by ijspeelman » Sat May 21, 2022 12:30 am

toooskies wrote:That may be your reality, but I don't know what led you to the conclusion that the Cavs' front office has decided that's theirs. I could see any of Sexton/LeVert/Okoro start, and I don't believe LeVert or Okoro did anything to make anyone believe they're definitely that guy going into the offseason.

As far as Sexton's shooting slump, it's just as easily the case that his shooting slump was due to the league changing the ball (throwing off more than one other NBA player to start the year, including Lillard and Beal) and the officiating rules (throwing off more than one other NBA player to start the year, including Harden and Trae Young).

Or maybe it was just a shooting slump. It isn't like Sexton was a better shooter off the dribble in the past-- 40% catch-and-shoot in 2020-21, 31% on pull-ups. (Around 25% in both in 21-22.) Similar difference in previous years. I kind of doubt it was only just the offense.

I am not saying you are wrong, but time and time again when ball-dominant players have to share the ball their stats can fluctuate up or down. Some players can keep or increase their efficiency without their normal diet of shots, but others struggle when they have the ball less and cannot set-up the ball the same way they used to. I cannot say for certain Sexton is one or the other, but based on his skills currently I have fears that he will not be a good off-ball player.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#47 » by jbk1234 » Sat May 21, 2022 12:34 am

toooskies wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:
ijspeelman wrote:

That may be your reality, but I don't know what led you to the conclusion that the Cavs' front office has decided that's theirs. I could see any of Sexton/LeVert/Okoro start, and I don't believe LeVert or Okoro did anything to make anyone believe they're definitely that guy going into the offseason.

Allen averaged 10 FGA per game, Mobley 12, Lauri 11.5, Okoro 6.4, and Garland 17.3.

In his last full season, Sexton averaged 18.5 FGA per game and that didn't include his 6.4 FTA. Even if you give Sexton all of Okoro's attempts, 2.3 of Garland's, and 1.5 of Lauri's, then he's at roughly 10 FGA per game.

After that, he probably starts eating into shots you want his teammates taking instead. Given his defensive limitations, and I don't see he how starts. The shots won't be there and he needs them to break even in terms of net impact. Now if he's on the floor every time Garland rests, if he subs in for Okoro or Lauri some of the time, I think you can get him up to 15 FGA per game. But that's a sixth man role.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
toooskies
Analyst

Post#48 » by toooskies » Sat May 21, 2022 12:39 am

jbk1234 wrote:
toooskies wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:

Allen averaged 10 FGA per game, Mobley 12, Lauri 11.5, Okoro 6.4, and Garland 17.3.

In his last full season, Sexton averaged 18.5 FGA per game and that didn't include his 6.4 FTA. Even if you give Sexton all of Okoro's attempts, 2.3 of Garland's, and 1.5 of Lauri's, then he's at roughly 10 FGA per game.

After that, he probably starts eating into shots you want his teammates taking instead. Given his defensive limitations, and I don't see he how starts. The shots won't be there and he needs them to break even in terms of net impact. Now if he's on the floor every time Garland rests, if he subs in for Okoro or Lauri some of the time, I think you can get him up to 15 FGA per game. But that's a sixth man role.

You can work a Garland/Sexton rotation the same way you work an Allen/Mobley rotation. Playing Sexton the minutes Garland sits does not require Sexton to come off the bench.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#49 » by jbk1234 » Sat May 21, 2022 12:51 am

toooskies wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:
toooskies wrote:That may be your reality, but I don't know what led you to the conclusion that the Cavs' front office has decided that's theirs. I could see any of Sexton/LeVert/Okoro start, and I don't believe LeVert or Okoro did anything to make anyone believe they're definitely that guy going into the offseason.

You can work a Garland/Sexton rotation the same way you work an Allen/Mobley rotation. Playing Sexton the minutes Garland sits does not require Sexton to come off the bench.

No, all the other reasons I outlined are why he's going to have to come off the bench.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Ryreb
Ballboy
And1: 8

Post#50 » by Ryreb » Fri Jun 10, 2022 2:05 pm

1. Who do the Cavs pick at #14 (or do they trade the pick)? Do they try to fit an immediate need?
2. Who do the Cavs pick with the SAS 2nd?
3. Who do the Cavs pick with the Miami 2nd?
4. Do the Cavs re-sign Sexton? If so, for how much/how long?
5. Are any players on the roster getting traded? If so, what's the return?
6. Who's the backup PG? Who's the 3rd string? (I.e. who is in Rajon Rondo and Brandon Goodwin's roster spots?)
7. Who's the backup C? Who's the 3rd string? (I.e. who is in Ed Davis and Moses Brown's roster spots?)

This is an absolute dream scenario, and I am not even a OSU homer:

1. Cavs take Branham with 14
2. Cavs move up with both SAS 2nd and Miami 2nd with an additional 2nd if liddell falls to late 1st.
3. Cavs move back into the 2nd and take Mcgowens out of Neb.
4. resign sexton @ 4/70. around the same as Markkanen
5. Osman & Windler are moved for a back up Center
6. Sexton is the primary ball handler off the bench and we tell him to go score. Rubio is the 3rs string which we give the $4 Mil Bi -
annual exception to and we let rehab
7. Back up center is Richaun Holmes, we trade Osman and Windler to SAC because the only reason is because they are dumb. The 3rd
string is Tristan Thompson, who we sign with the remainder of our $10 mil Non tax exceptio..that we used to..
8. Sign Bryn Frobed to be out back up 2

Garland Sexton Rubio
Lavert Forbes Branham
Okoro Markkanen Mcgowens
Mobley Love Liddell
Allen Holmes T. Thompson
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#51 » by jbk1234 » Fri Jun 10, 2022 7:06 pm

Ryreb wrote:1. Who do the Cavs pick at #14 (or do they trade the pick)? Do they try to fit an immediate need?
2. Who do the Cavs pick with the SAS 2nd?
3. Who do the Cavs pick with the Miami 2nd?
4. Do the Cavs re-sign Sexton? If so, for how much/how long?
5. Are any players on the roster getting traded? If so, what's the return?
6. Who's the backup PG? Who's the 3rd string? (I.e. who is in Rajon Rondo and Brandon Goodwin's roster spots?)
7. Who's the backup C? Who's the 3rd string? (I.e. who is in Ed Davis and Moses Brown's roster spots?)

This is an absolute dream scenario, and I am not even a OSU homer:

1. Cavs take Branham with 14
2. Cavs move up with both SAS 2nd and Miami 2nd with an additional 2nd if liddell falls to late 1st.
3. Cavs move back into the 2nd and take Mcgowens out of Neb.
4. resign sexton @ 4/70. around the same as Markkanen
5. Osman & Windler are moved for a back up Center
6. Sexton is the primary ball handler off the bench and we tell him to go score. Rubio is the 3rs string which we give the $4 Mil Bi -
annual exception to and we let rehab
7. Back up center is Richaun Holmes, we trade Osman and Windler to SAC because the only reason is because they are dumb. The 3rd
string is Tristan Thompson, who we sign with the remainder of our $10 mil Non tax exceptio..that we used to..
8. Sign Bryn Frobed to be out back up 2

Garland Sexton Rubio
Lavert Forbes Branham
Okoro Markkanen Mcgowens
Mobley Love Liddell
Allen Holmes T. Thompson

I have less than zero interest in bringing TT back. Absent injury, there aren't a lot of big minutes to go around, and if you're already spending cap space on Holmes as a backup, who I think is expensive in that role, then don't waste more on TT. TT will be lucky to get a guaranteed contact for the league minimum this year. He's a declining vet who carved out a role due to hustle and that hustle is waning.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Ryreb
Ballboy
And1: 8

Post#52 » by Ryreb » Sat Jun 11, 2022 1:18 am

If through all of that, the only issue you have is with 1 mil to our 3rd string center who will probably get 5 min a game all season. I’ll take it
toooskies
Analyst

Post#53 » by toooskies » Sat Jun 11, 2022 1:22 pm

Ryreb wrote:If through all of that, the only issue you have is with 1 mil to our 3rd string center who will probably get 5 min a game all season. I’ll take it

Oh, I have disagreements. We shouldn't draft a 4th SG and sign a 5th. We shouldn't release good role players in Wade and Stevens for 2nd rounders. It's unlikely either Liddell or McGowens is available in the 2nd. It's impossible to trade just #39 and #56 to get into the 1st round.
El Hespiritu
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,192

Post#54 » by El Hespiritu » Mon Jun 13, 2022 8:55 pm

The idea of Sextonto being primary ball handler for 2nd unit scares me.
Only the idea of him being primary ball handler as a starter scares me more (let's all pray for Darius health).

If RRubio returns, no problem at all because J.B. is not dumb enough to play him as 3rd string. He'll play same role he played before.

But if Ricky doesn't come back, then I think you have a problem there and you'll need another high level true Point Guard for the bench.

Am I the only one who feels that way?

Could be only my RR fanboy bias but I feel it's not: I don't see Collin having the kind of game needed to be in charge of team's collective game, same I don't see Cari.
-I tell them: Gentlemen you desist. Your differences are bussiness of your own. We all must care this Refuge's harmony and decorum
-What if they don't listen?
-I kill them and throw them into the sea
toooskies
Analyst

Post#55 » by toooskies » Mon Jun 13, 2022 9:12 pm

El Hespiritu wrote:The idea of Sextonto being primary ball handler for 2nd unit scares me.
Only the idea of him being primary ball handler as a starter scares me more (let's all pray for Darius health).

If RRubio returns, no problem at all because J.B. is not dumb enough to play him as 3rd string. He'll play same role he played before.

But if Ricky doesn't come back, then I think you have a problem there and you'll need another high level true Point Guard for the bench.

Could be only my RR fanboy bias but I feel it's not: I don't see Collin having the kind of game needed to be in charge of team's collective game, same I don't see Cari.

Given the FO went out and got Rubio (and Pangos) last offseason to back up Garland, I think they're well aware that Sexton shouldn't be on our PG depth chart. Especially since the combo of Garland and Rubio worked so well together.
JonFromVA
RealGM
And1: 4,390

Post#56 » by JonFromVA » Mon Jun 13, 2022 11:01 pm

toooskies wrote:
El Hespiritu wrote:The idea of Sextonto being primary ball handler for 2nd unit scares me.

Given the FO went out and got Rubio (and Pangos) last offseason to back up Garland, I think they're well aware that Sexton shouldn't be on our PG depth chart. Especially since the combo of Garland and Rubio worked so well together.

LeVert is another option. but the only question with Ricky is how well will he recover and when will he be ready; otherwise the team and fanbase would be thrilled to welcome him back on an MLE or under deal.
Hoppy1
Rookie
And1: 294

Post#57 » by Hoppy1 » Fri Sep 2, 2022 5:25 pm

Harper4Ferry? wrote:Could we possibly get Donovan Mitchell? Utah probably has to do something with that core. We could throw them a bunch of picks and parts. We won’t win this lottery, but if we ended up in the top 4 I’d at least try.

Yes
When you look for the bad in something, expecting to find it, you certainly will.
ijspeelman
Forum Mod - Cavs
Forum Mod - Cavs

Post#58 » by ijspeelman » Fri Sep 2, 2022 6:45 pm

Hoppy1 wrote:
Harper4Ferry? wrote:Could we possibly get Donovan Mitchell? Utah probably has to do something with that core. We could throw them a bunch of picks and parts. We won’t win this lottery, but if we ended up in the top 4 I’d at least try.

Yes

Can you ask a question about if the Cavs will win a championship in the next 3 years?

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers