ImageImageImage

Cavs v. Wizards

Moderator: ijspeelman

JonFromVA
RealGM
And1: 4,421

Re: Cavs v. Wizards 

Post#21 » by JonFromVA » Mon Oct 24, 2022 4:32 am

JBB played Mitchell 44 minutes on the second night of a back to back. As pleased as I am that he had enough to closeout the game, I'm happier he didn't get hurt.
TheLand13
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,533

Post#22 » by TheLand13 » Mon Oct 24, 2022 4:53 am

If the performances we’ve seen from the bench are a sign of things to come, then the Cavaliers are going to be a very serious problem this year as long as they stay healthy. Keep in mind that Rubio still hasn’t come back yet.
mcfly1204
General Manager
And1: 1,857

Post#23 » by mcfly1204 » Mon Oct 24, 2022 11:40 am

TheLand13 wrote:If the performances we’ve seen from the bench are a sign of things to come, then the Cavaliers are going to be a very serious problem this year as long as they stay healthy. Keep in mind that Rubio still hasn’t come back yet.

Rubio should be big for this team if he can get/stay healthy. That said, I'd still like to see us get another backup PG.
Well at least we're not Detroit!
jasonxxx102
Veteran
And1: 2,732

Post#24 » by jasonxxx102 » Mon Oct 24, 2022 1:43 pm

Thank god the Cavs got Mitchell because it's been brutal without Garland. Levert cannot facilitate, watching him try to run an offense is just awful.

Okoro was really good defensively as usual but totally useless on offense. Cedi looks great so far though.

Tough win, probably shouldn't have even gone to OT but a win is a win
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#25 » by JonFromVA » Mon Oct 24, 2022 2:30 pm

jasonxxx102 wrote:Thank god the Cavs got Mitchell because it's been brutal without Garland. Levert cannot facilitate, watching him try to run an offense is just awful.

Okoro was really good defensively as usual but totally useless on offense. Cedi looks great so far though.

Ideally, LeVert won't have to run the offense when both Garland and Mitchell are available, Neto isn't over-matched, or Rubio is back ... but he is averaging 6.3 assists on just 1.7 turnovers.

Isaac seems to be dealing with a Windler-esque mental block, or at least I'd rather think that than the alternative - which is he's incapable of playing at an NBA level. Whatever confidence he might gain from pre-season, summer league, or practices just isn't carrying over for him.

No way to know if his ankle is still bothering him, but Evan has about caught up to the pre-season games he missed and I'm hoping we see better things from him too. At least he's had some moments, but he hasn't been the defensive monster we saw in the first half of last season (just 3 blocks in 3 games).

When DG returns, LeVert's playmaking becomes a luxury in the starting unit rather than a necessity and the early returns I think have Cedi in the lead followed by Wade, LeVert, Stevens, Windler, and Okoro.
jasonxxx102
Veteran
And1: 2,732

Post#26 » by jasonxxx102 » Mon Oct 24, 2022 2:48 pm

JonFromVA wrote:
jasonxxx102 wrote:Thank god the Cavs got Mitchell because it's been brutal without Garland. Levert cannot facilitate, watching him try to run an offense is just awful.

Ideally, LeVert won't have to run the offense when both Garland and Mitchell are available, Neto isn't over-matched, or Rubio is back ... but he is averaging 6.3 assists on just 1.7 turnovers.

Isaac seems to be dealing with a Windler-esque mental block, or at least I'd rather think that than the alternative - which is he's incapable of playing at an NBA level. Whatever confidence he might gain from pre-season, summer league, or practices just isn't carrying over for him.

No way to know if his ankle is still bothering him, but Evan has about caught up to the pre-season games he missed and I'm hoping we see better things from him too. At least he's had some moments, but he hasn't been the defensive monster we saw in the first half of last season (just 3 blocks in 3 games).

When DG returns, LeVert's playmaking becomes a luxury in the starting unit rather than a necessity and the early returns I think have Cedi in the lead followed by Wade, LeVert, Stevens, Windler, and Okoro.

Yea, Mobley isn't right yet.

I do think the whole starting spot up for grabs really killed Okoro's confidence in his shot, not only is he not even close when he does shoot but he refuses to even take shots at this point. Concerning for me as the #1 Okoro stan lol

Neto is fine as like a <10MPG guy who gets blowout run and maybe the occasional 2-3 minute burst here or there.

When Garland is back I assume either he or Mitchell will be on the floor for the entire game.
Zonkerbl
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,198

Post#27 » by Zonkerbl » Mon Oct 24, 2022 4:57 pm

What a weird game for me to watch, having just moved to Columbus from DC. You guys expect to be successful, right? You have a competent front office, do you think? Better then the Wizards, anyway
I've been taught all my life to value service to the weak and powerless.
JujitsuFlip
General Manager
And1: 5,265

Post#28 » by JujitsuFlip » Mon Oct 24, 2022 5:04 pm

Zonkerbl wrote:What a weird game for me to watch, having just moved to Columbus from DC. You guys expect to be successful, right? You have a competent front office, do you think? Better then the Wizards, anyway
Koby makes some questionable moves but he's also made some really good moves. He also brought in a GM to work under him so can lessen his workload a bit.
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#29 » by JonFromVA » Mon Oct 24, 2022 5:25 pm

Zonkerbl wrote:What a weird game for me to watch, having just moved to Columbus from DC. You guys expect to be successful, right? You have a competent front office, do you think? Better then the Wizards, anyway

The Cavs are success driven and will spend money and take risks to try to get there, so, there's that.

The Wizards seem to have taken a step forward under Tommy Sheppard, but Ted Leonsis seems happy to sell tickets so at the very least you should appreciate an organization with higher aspirations, and perhaps less prone to self-delusion.
Zonkerbl
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,198

Post#30 » by Zonkerbl » Mon Oct 24, 2022 6:20 pm

But your front office will not make franchise crushing mistakes like, say, offering the max to a mediocre player like Beal
I've been taught all my life to value service to the weak and powerless.
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#31 » by JonFromVA » Mon Oct 24, 2022 6:48 pm

Zonkerbl wrote:But your front office will not make franchise crushing mistakes like, say, offering the max to a mediocre player like Beal

Well, they overpaid Kevin Love not that long ago, but that seems to have worked out.

The Wizards just always seem to be trying to catch lightning in a bottle ... like say Porzingis and Beal actually stay healthy for an entire season and each have a career year: it's just that even when they do, they seem to cap off as a second round exit.

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers