08 1st rounder
future 1st rounder

Vince Carter to Washington

for

Arenas
&
Deshawn Stevenson

Why each team does the deal

The nets are desperate for a rebuild but they are unwilling to dismantle the starpower on their roster because of their upcoming move to Brooklyn. So the nets get back a star in Arenas and 2 serviceable sgs in Stevenson and Hughes who replace Carter. the nets also get newbles expiring, and damon jones expires next year. Pair those 2 with collins, magloire, Allen, Armstong and Wright, and the nets will have significant cap space in 2 years.

Cleveland may be unwilling to the trade because of losing 2 1st round picks, but this trade helps them more then just getting Kidd. By getting rid of hughes they get an extra year of cap flexibility as well as shed the contract of Damon Jones. With kidd the cavs are a top tier team meaning the picks they surrender would be in the mid to late 20's, thats not such a huge loss, they have good youth with Brown, Gibson & Verejao.

Washington Does this deal because theyre gonna lose Arenas at years end. Theyre doing great without arenas because he is a shoot 1st pg. They get to reunite Carter with Jamison who were unstoppable in UNC, mix those 2 with Tough Juice and thats a formidable Roster. The loss of stevenson will be made up by the emergence of Nick Young.

Very tough deal to pull off but i think it benefits all sides...
TheOUTLAW
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,757

Post#2 » by TheOUTLAW » Sun Jan 27, 2008 10:46 pm

I wouldn't do it if I were Cleveland.

Kidd want's out. No way are we paying that much for a player that doesn't even want to be there.
UncleDrew wrote: I get Buckets!
DonJuanCapistro
Senior
And1: 0

Post#3 » by DonJuanCapistro » Sun Jan 27, 2008 10:53 pm

he wants out of nj...hed be happy playing with lebron...

Maybe taking out the future 1st would make sense...
jzmagik
Banned User

Post#4 » by jzmagik » Mon Jan 28, 2008 12:01 am

Nets fan here, wouldn't do it and Rod Thorn is most certainly going to look for a young upcoming player in any kind of Kidd deal.
eyejayem
Pro Prospect

Post#5 » by eyejayem » Mon Jan 28, 2008 12:07 am

I can see something like that happening but the three cardinal sins to keeping trades fair have been exercised(two of them this week):

1. Player states he wants to be traded(Kidd, this week, again sources said he wants out of NJ)

2. Team states they may blow it up,thus moving bigger pieces(Nets are rumored to be leaning towards rebuilding)

3. Player states who he'd like to play with( Kidd about a month or two ago, stated he would love to play with Lebron)

So I think a 1st rder definately goes to NJ from Cleveland but I'm iffy on 2 unless we get NJ 2nd rder from this year since it will be in the 1st half more than likely. But I think something like that is reasonable but they dont do it because Thorn would believe he can get more if he trades them seperately. Plus is Carter enough for Gilbert and since they are more defensive I think they would look for a defensive guard.

I actually think the Wiz would go after a package of Hinrich/Thabo or Nocioni/ and a swap of 1st rders. But that is neither here nor there.
LeQuitterNotMVP
Analyst

Post#6 » by LeQuitterNotMVP » Mon Jan 28, 2008 12:16 am

I'd prefer for the future 1st to be taken out, but I'd still do it.
TheOUTLAW
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#7 » by TheOUTLAW » Mon Jan 28, 2008 12:52 am

I'm convince that LBJ would do just about any trade.
LeQuitterNotMVP
Analyst

Post#8 » by LeQuitterNotMVP » Mon Jan 28, 2008 3:16 am

TheOUTLAW wrote:I'm convince that LBJ would do just about any trade.
You're telling me you wouldn't trade Larry Hughes for Jason bleeping Kidd?
TheOUTLAW
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#9 » by TheOUTLAW » Mon Jan 28, 2008 3:41 am

I don't believe that is what I said. I think my point is that I am reluctant to toss in even one pick much less two.
kiwibrindle
Starter
And1: 80

Post#10 » by kiwibrindle » Mon Jan 28, 2008 4:05 pm

I can't see us getting Kidd. We have nothing anyone wants
LeQuitterNotMVP
Analyst

Post#11 » by LeQuitterNotMVP » Mon Jan 28, 2008 5:07 pm

TheOUTLAW wrote:I don't believe that is what I said. I think my point is that I am reluctant to toss in even one pick much less two.
Well, I said in my post I'd much rather prefer to only give up 1 pick, but if it's really going to hold up a trade for Kidd, who would make our team the favorite to win it all, then I would put the pick in.
Bamboozled
Sophomore

Post#12 » by Bamboozled » Mon Jan 28, 2008 6:56 pm

I'm reluctant about including 2 first rounders, especially since we're losing Shannon Brown at the end of the season. Hughes for Kidd is clearly a fantastic scenario though.
Go Cavs!
kiwibrindle
Starter
And1: 80

Post#13 » by kiwibrindle » Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:19 pm

If we were lucky enough to even get NJ's interested in talking about a trade for Kidd, I would do even a bad trade for Kidd due to the fact that Kidd is one of the few point guards that Lebron will even listen too. Kidd and Lebron together are magic. Therefore yes to this possibility, specially if it involved hughes. Still no way this happens.
jnester71
Sophomore

Post#14 » by jnester71 » Thu Jan 31, 2008 10:15 am

I'm thinking both New Jersey and the Wizards are dying to help us get Kidd..

Washington is going to help us get Arenas too
Tough*Juice
Sophomore

Post#15 » by Tough*Juice » Thu Jan 31, 2008 9:18 pm

This doesn't make any sense for the Wizards at all.
First of all, this would leave Washington with no backup point guard at all (only Antonio Daniels). When Arenas opts out at the end of this season, only the Wizards will be able to offer him the longest/highest contract. He has also voiced his desire to stay.

Why is this thread still open?
FlightNo.23
Senior

Post#16 » by FlightNo.23 » Thu Jan 31, 2008 9:35 pm

I really don't think we can package the best deal for Kidd. And NJ apparently wants to deal with Western Conference teams first.
BobbySura
Bench Warmer
And1: 333

Post#17 » by BobbySura » Fri Feb 1, 2008 7:48 am

you're trading LARRY FREAKING HUGHES, two scrubs, and two picks that could be anywhere from mid first round to late first round to pair up your big young stud with one of the best point guards in the last 20 years who is having a great season and would thrive off james

and some of you are something its too much to give?

o_O
mr.basketball
Sophomore

Post#18 » by mr.basketball » Fri Feb 1, 2008 1:41 pm

[quote="TheOUTLAW"]I wouldn't do it if I were Cleveland.

Kidd want's out. No way are we paying that much for a player that doesn't even want to be there.[/quote]

Yeah, Thorn will just hand him over to you.
Its funny that people call Knick fans delusional. Ofcourse that second pick would be restricted.
TheOUTLAW
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#19 » by TheOUTLAW » Fri Feb 1, 2008 3:12 pm

I have to agree that I am pretty delusional, but you'd also notice that I'm pretty adamant about the Cavs not including multiple picks in for pretty much any player. I don't think that Kidd puts the Cavs over the top and therefore I don't want to mortgage the future too much.
Harper4Ferry?
Starter
And1: 78

Post#20 » by Harper4Ferry? » Fri Feb 1, 2008 4:13 pm

You never give 2 picks when someone is in panic mode. They can sit on Kidd as much as they'd like, but it doesn't matter. First off, it's going to be extremely hard for a team to trade for him, considering the amount of money he makes. And anyone in win-now mode won't want to surrender a ton of pieces of their puzzle. Lets face it, a mid 30's PG is a win now prop.

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers