ImageImageImage

What can the cavs offer to get Kidd?

Moderator: ijspeelman

B Mac
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 540

Post#61 » by B Mac » Sun Feb 3, 2008 8:50 pm

But but but... We got Larry Hughes through free agency!!!!!
jnester71
Sophomore
And1: 0

Post#62 » by jnester71 » Mon Feb 4, 2008 5:00 am

Smooth your point is changing from post to post

I can argue that the traded guys you name are mostly busts since most of them cost a BIG price and haven't won championships
throw in that some of them have/will only spend a year or two with their new team before testing the free agent waters..

free agents cost nothing talent wise and sign contracts that keep them with their new team for a longer period of time

since you are naming traded players I might as well name a free agent.. and i'll even use one of the guys you named..

Shaquille O'Neal.. a free agent signed by the Lakers, who went on to win 3 championships with him as the MVP

the Lakers gave up nothing to get Shaq except cash..
teams like the Celtics give up a Kings ransom for a couple of years of Garnett..

I could go on to name several more free agents but whats the point

the fact of the matter is that the Cavs can get better either way..
as fans I'd be happy as hell if they acquired a player in trade who makes them better and you'd be happy if they signed a free agent who made them better

BUT USING THE SAME ADVICE THAT GILBERT GAVE FERRY:
look at each transaction individually and make WISE decisions

looking at any Bibby trade my point is and has always been that adding Bibby and Thomas and salary while losing Gooden does not make us a whole lot better..

for one it shifts the problem spot from point guard to PF AND puts us in worse shape financially
Thomas and Bibby aren't known for their defense and losing Gooden hurts our rebounding TOO..
you're not the only one saying Drew isn't a smart cookie..
but you can't say we have better options for his minutes
especially with Varejao out
NO WAY I want to see Donyell on the court for 20-30 a game
even if Varejao is healthy and plays big minutes at the 4 he not only could lose his effectiveness (energy) but we need him to play the 5 and he can't do both

Drew did have a couple of outstanding games in the playoffs the last couple of years
while his rebounding and defense have gone largely unappreciated

Bibby is only under contract through 09 and it's VERY possible that he'd leave in free agency

article after article points out the fact that the Cavs do not have the pieces to get the deal done without a third team that wants to deal only to make US better

Ferry has made next to no trades and none of impact in the NBA
i can't see him getting over on anyone

you talk about tradeable assets.. at the trade deadline in the NBA that means expiring contracts..

we have less than 5 mil in expirings right now meaning it's not going to happen

IMO it would be MUCH, MUCH better to acquire a younger less expensive player(s) that doesn't require us losing a starter
TheOUTLAW
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,757

Post#63 » by TheOUTLAW » Mon Feb 4, 2008 4:19 pm

Kidd has the propensity to make big shots at the end of games, but is shooting only 36.6 percent from the field this season and 40.1 percent in his career. Cavs fans love to rip on Hughes' horrid shooting. Imagine having two sub-par shooters in the same lineup.

Look at the 3-pointer percentages of the Cavs' perimeter players, which is already sub par, and one can see why Gibson and Damon Jones play in the fourth quarter.

Trading Gibson would be disastrous for the Cavs. Jones would be about the only player with 3-point capabilities.

Besides, the Cavs have to be deathly afraid to trade Gibson. They could have a young Allan Houston or Richard Hamilton in Gibson and not know it. Gibson still has a lot of growth to his game.

These comments came out of the Morning Journal and pretty much parallel my views on any trade involving Kidd and Gibson.
UncleDrew wrote: I get Buckets!
kiwibrindle
Starter
And1: 80

Post#64 » by kiwibrindle » Mon Feb 4, 2008 10:06 pm

It will be interesting to see if having Pav to trade changes things this Thursday
jnester71
Sophomore

Post#65 » by jnester71 » Tue Feb 5, 2008 6:26 am

the interesting thing is that in the more recent articles on trade rumors many of the so called experts mention that if we could trade Varejao we'd be major players for several guys..

if there is so many teams interested in Varejao..
why could the guy not find an offer!!
I realize that teams figured the Cavs would match any offer... but still

and with Andy being able to opt out after next year does Ferry move him in the upcoming off season?

slated to make just 6.2 mill in 09-10 and feeling like he's worth double digits already it's almost a given he'll opt out after next year...
heathmalc
Analyst
And1: 16

Post#66 » by heathmalc » Tue Feb 5, 2008 1:39 pm

Don't expect Jason to come to Cleveland.

Rod is asking too much for him and Danny wont budge from what he already offered.

Thorn is doing the right thing...he'll likely wait till this summer when Jason is an expiring contract and he's played with LeBron & CO. in the olympics. J-Kidd's value will peak if the USA wins gold...look for a trade soon after.

I'm not saying it's IMPOSSIBLE - but it is highly improbable.

LeBron and Jason WANT to play together... but that only has so much weight.

Besides...Would you rather see us get Kidd and bad contracts plus give-up Gibson &/or draft picks - OR - Go for Miller or another top-notch SG who will make a REAL difference?

Here's a very simple fact: If Larry Hughes shot just 45%, we'd have won 62 games last year - and we'd have 5 more wins this season.

Beyond Larry, we have Sasha, who hasn't done a whole lot to show us why he held out. Yeah, he started coming on before the injury...but that was just a couple cames. Larry's done well for short stretches too. Imagine if we had Sasha,Devin,Gibson and Anderson/Darko coming off our bench.

Is there ANY question what we should really be hoping for?
We the People...
jnester71
Sophomore

Post#67 » by jnester71 » Tue Feb 5, 2008 8:40 pm

I now have my answer as to who is on crack betweem Heathmalc and myself

USA winning gold has about ZERO to do with Jason Kidds worth in the NBA
heathmalc
Analyst

Post#68 » by heathmalc » Tue Feb 5, 2008 9:41 pm

jnester71 wrote:I now have my answer as to who is on crack betweem Heathmalc and myself

USA winning gold has about ZERO to do with Jason Kidds worth in the NBA

Apparently you don't know much about basketball...or you're on crack. :wavefinger:
Gordon Bombay
Head Coach
And1: 79

Post#69 » by Gordon Bombay » Wed Feb 6, 2008 6:15 am

so wait, who's on crack? i can't tell?
heathmalc
Analyst

Post#70 » by heathmalc » Wed Feb 6, 2008 11:11 am

I'm on Cavalier-crack... 30 years and counting! ;)
We the People...
jnester71
Sophomore

Post#71 » by jnester71 » Sun Feb 10, 2008 5:23 am

yeah..

Jason Kidd will be forced to take the veterans minimum if the USA team loses...

it would obviously be all his fault

and everything he has accomplished in his hall of fame career to this point will instantly be forgotten by any GM looking to acquire the guy

it doesn't even matter that the international and NBA rules differ or anything

on the other hand if the USA team wins gold Kidd would FINALLY get that max contract he's been looking for..

as obviously he is the dominant guy on the team and it would be ALL because of him.. LeBron and Kobe wouldn't have even helped him

and it would be such a shocker for USA to win... that all the GMs will think Kidd is re-invigorated and playing like a rookie again

you're right on about all of the above..

I don't have a clue what I was talking about

good call heathmalc

MY BAD
OAKTREE NYK1
Bench Warmer
Location: Sunny Fort Liquordale,FL Originally from the Bronx,NY

Post#72 » by OAKTREE NYK1 » Mon Feb 11, 2008 2:02 am

3 way deal

Miami gets

C Jammal Maglore
PF Drew Gooden
PG Eric Snow
SF Donyell Marshall
Cleveland's 08 Draft Pick

New Jersey Gets

PG Jason Williams
SG Ricky Davis
PF Udonis Haslem

Cleveland gets

PG Jason Kidd
PG Smush Parker
"I cant help the poor if I'am one of them, so I got rich and gave back to me that's the win win" Jay-Z
TheOUTLAW
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,757

Post#73 » by TheOUTLAW » Mon Feb 11, 2008 2:47 am

I think everyone that follows the Cavs realizes that the Cavs need height to compete. Gooden is not going to be traded unless they get another (competent) big back
UncleDrew wrote: I get Buckets!
zmac-
Freshman
And1: 1

Post#74 » by zmac- » Mon Feb 11, 2008 3:05 pm

This post will be possibly the most pointless and overly stated statement in this thread, but its my answer to the thread title.

Nothing.
D-Dub Lonte. My man.
jnester71
Sophomore

Post#75 » by jnester71 » Mon Feb 11, 2008 6:41 pm

zmac- wrote:This post will be possibly the most pointless in this thread

Sorry, that dubious honor belongs to Heathmalc for saying Jason Kidds NBA value for next season is dependant on the USA Olympic results

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers