ImageImageImage

Shaq to Phoenix for Marion/Banks?

Moderator: ijspeelman

Bamboozled
Sophomore
And1: 0

Shaq to Phoenix for Marion/Banks? 

Post#1 » by Bamboozled » Wed Feb 6, 2008 9:00 pm

I think this trade could theoretically help the Cavs, especially if Marion decides not to opt out (or if he's resigned long term).

With Wade drawing double-teams left and right, Marion is probably going to put up similar numbers to what he was putting up in Phoenix. And if so, then the Heat will start winning games, which helps move them out of the draft lottery. Marion probably isn't enough to make the Heat as god as the Cavs, and as long as he's tying up at least $15 million a year in cap space, it keeps better players from coming to Miami (Elton Brand for one).

So hopefully this brings the Heat from "top 5 lottery pick" to "mediocre", while crippling the Suns with a desperation, port-Gasol trade that makes them substantially worse on defense. A bonus is that Marion doesn't seem to play well in the playoffs, so Miami will probably be a little overachieving in the regular season...
Go Cavs!
eyejayem
Pro Prospect

Post#2 » by eyejayem » Wed Feb 6, 2008 9:35 pm

I definately agree with draft pick idea. I think it definately helps and I think Banks will be a good enough PG with Wade to be the #3 scorer. They have a decent lineup and seem to be destined for mediocricy. But I dont know if Riley has the balls to dump games.
vincent
Rookie
And1: 150

Post#3 » by vincent » Thu Feb 7, 2008 12:04 am

will dont be so sure this is PAT RILEY
the guy know how to built a Team i actually know how it can be done

if Pat get rid of all the small Contracts (Smush Parker,Cook)

then have Marion OPT out this will leave the Heat 30 mil in sal.Cap
sign FA's with a up to 18 mil (El.Bland ) then reesign Marion to a 4/60
deal

Fun facts :
- The Miami Heat surpassed the Knicks in championships
- Only the Lakers, Bulls, Celtics and Spurs have more championships
kiwibrindle
Starter
And1: 80

Post#4 » by kiwibrindle » Thu Feb 7, 2008 1:24 pm

The Heat needs a big man. Shaq quit on them this year. This maybe a win win for both teams. New Life for Shaq. Some value for the Heat out of Shaq in Marion and Banks. Shaq isn't the same these days. We'll see.

Kerr's a$$ is on the line in this one.
Bamboozled
Sophomore

Post#5 » by Bamboozled » Thu Feb 7, 2008 7:43 pm

I don't see Marion opting out of a guaranteed $17 million unless he expects to severly decline in production after this year. I don't know how the 2009 free agent market looks though...
Go Cavs!

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers