ImageImageImage

Kings closing in on deal to send Bibby to Atlanta...

Moderator: ijspeelman

rpa
RealGM
And1: 7,453

Post#21 » by rpa » Sun Feb 17, 2008 2:22 am

TheOUTLAW wrote:He's had over 110 games in the NBA and he'll be 25 very early in the season. Those kinda make one lean towards the bust comments. The fact that he's undersized and can't get much playing time on a team that needs big man play (and he's being outplayed by a rookie) make the argumen a bit more legit.

Udrih pretty much fell into that same category. As do a LOT of other players. Calling any player a bust after just a season and a half in the NBA is premature. Not every player comes in and contributes immediately (especially big men).
TheOUTLAW
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,757

Post#22 » by TheOUTLAW » Sun Feb 17, 2008 2:27 am

Actually Udrih showed ability early on but kinda fell apart last year. I really haven't seen much of anything from Shelly. In addition, Duke players are notorious for coming into the league and not improving. But he's your player. I really don't care how we he does.
UncleDrew wrote: I get Buckets!
rjgraca
Head Coach
And1: 43

Post#23 » by rjgraca » Sun Feb 17, 2008 2:41 am

I for one am kind of amused by some Kings fans revisionist history in trying to justify this trade with Atlanta after making such grand inflated valuations on many other boards here at RealGM. This summer's free agent class isn't that strong and this shrewd GM for the Kings waited long enough for Bibby's value to sink this low before pulling the trigger and wasted a year of rebuilding.

As for Sheldon Williams being a better fit than Gooden, stats alone would indicate that is a very big reach to say the least. Sheldon Williams is a borderline bust right now, but some revisionists of history could make a case for his impact status.
:roll:
Homer Jay
Assistant Coach
And1: 674

Post#24 » by Homer Jay » Sun Feb 17, 2008 7:23 am

TheOUTLAW wrote:He's had over 110 games in the NBA and he'll be 25 very early in the season. Those kinda make one lean towards the bust comments. The fact that he's undersized and can't get much playing time on a team that needs big man play (and he's being outplayed by a rookie) make the argumen a bit more legit.

Exactly he's a year older than Chris Bosh, two years older than Dwight Howard and only two years younger than Carlos Boozer. At a certain point you have to be able to bring it. The fact he can't get anytime on a team desperate for big man play is telling... he's a bust.
Bamboozled
Sophomore
And1: 0

Post#25 » by Bamboozled » Sun Feb 17, 2008 7:50 am

Considering the lack of talent going to Sacramento in this deal, you have to place a lot of blame on Ferry for not being able to top that offer. Granted, this move makes financial sense, as the Kings save about $10 million in this deal.

But with Newble and Shannon Brown's expiring contracts, the Cavs offer would have included at least $5 million in savings and a better big man (probably). I'm baffled that Kenny Thomas wasn't included either. I'm really pissed at Danny Ferry right now....
Go Cavs!
SacTown Kings
Lead Assistant
And1: 133

Post#26 » by SacTown Kings » Sun Feb 17, 2008 8:36 am

Bamboozled wrote:Considering the lack of talent going to Sacramento in this deal, you have to place a lot of blame on Ferry for not being able to top that offer. Granted, this move makes financial sense, as the Kings save about $10 million in this deal.

But with Newble and Shannon Brown's expiring contracts, the Cavs offer would have included at least $5 million in savings and a better big man (probably). I'm baffled that Kenny Thomas wasn't included either. I'm really pissed at Danny Ferry right now....

Most Kings did not think Kenny Thomas would be packaged with Bibby. Most realized that over $20 million dollars is hard to move. We had to take back 4 players just to move Bibby, throw Kenny in there and we would have to take back 2 more players. Kenny is handcuffed to Artest. That is who most Kings fans believe Kenny will be packaged with.
Twinkie defense
RealGM
And1: 1,083

Post#27 » by Twinkie defense » Sun Feb 17, 2008 11:19 am

I've got to think LeBron is not happy to see yet another proven vet get snapped up (and for not much in return), while Danny sits on his hands.
heathmalc
Analyst
And1: 16

Post#28 » by heathmalc » Sun Feb 17, 2008 11:46 am

I'd have to agree with that
We the People...
TheOUTLAW
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#29 » by TheOUTLAW » Sun Feb 17, 2008 1:27 pm

The Cavs have been linked to this trade many times with offers that IMO exceeded what Sac got. I'm not sure how you can blame this on Ferry.
RevMan26
Pro Prospect

Post#30 » by RevMan26 » Sun Feb 17, 2008 5:16 pm

TheOUTLAW wrote:The Cavs have been linked to this trade many times with offers that IMO exceeded what Sac got. I'm not sure how you can blame this on Ferry.

Agreed.
Bamboozled
Sophomore

Post#31 » by Bamboozled » Sun Feb 17, 2008 5:40 pm

Looking at the talent the Kings got back in return, Ferry has to take some blame for this for not being able to pitch his offer better. This move clearly saves more money for the Kings, but they're also a lot worse than when they started. Adding Gooden, and maybe Damon Jones or Newble would have put them in better contention to make the playoffs than Anthony Johnson, Tyronne Lue and Lorenzen Wright. Plus the Kings still won't have enough cap space to sign an elite free agent anyway...
Go Cavs!
TheOUTLAW
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#32 » by TheOUTLAW » Sun Feb 17, 2008 7:12 pm

it would have won them a few more games maybe, but they weren't going to put them over the top in the west. They made a conscious effort to sacrifice games this year for a slight amount more flexibility in the offseason. I do however wonder why, it has been proven time and time again that cap room really doesn't unless people want to play there.
Gordon Bombay
Head Coach
And1: 79

Post#33 » by Gordon Bombay » Mon Feb 18, 2008 12:53 am

i think its kind of funny that the realgm trade checker icon still has bibby's destination as cleveland

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers