Welcome Delonte West!

Moderator: ijspeelman

Cookin Baskets
Sixth Man
And1: 265

Post#21 » by Cookin Baskets » Sun Feb 24, 2008 12:57 am

Rox_Nix_Nox wrote:psssshhhhh....

He's not that good.

Nobody saying he is, but you ever see him when he was with St. Joe's and Jameer Nelson both of those players will be good players that will help as very good role players with Dwight Howard and Lebron James respectivley. Delonte for some weird reason didnt get minutes in Seattle, if he develops more point guard skills and all he could be a more talented version of Derek Fisher by the end of his career or possibly better. People shouldn't look at the cavs acquring West as a grain of salt, this could be the reason why the deal might pay off in the end for the cavs.
I don't think I Trust The Process anymore! :banghead:
We are the originals! We are the Philadelphia 76ers!
BadWolf
General Manager
And1: 3,238

Post#22 » by BadWolf » Sun Feb 24, 2008 3:35 pm

Is he really an UFA?
jimmywolfrey
Rookie
And1: 0

Post#23 » by jimmywolfrey » Mon Feb 25, 2008 1:23 pm

I think he is a restricted free agent...

I'm probably one of his biggest supporters on these boards from traveling from the celtics board, to the sonics board now to the cavs board.

Delonte didn't have a fair shake in Seattle ..see my thread in the 'confirmed' trade thread. 5 starts there..and in those starts only getting a little over 20 minutes per game.

Its a great pickup as long as Delonte gets his shot back which has not been there really this season. His 3point shot has been decent though just not his midrange game.

All hail RedZ!!!!
Kwame Brown is servicable, get over it.
TheOUTLAW
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,757

Post#24 » by TheOUTLAW » Mon Feb 25, 2008 1:39 pm

The difference is that Seattle had tons of PG's while the cavs really don't have any. If Delonte can give us what he did yesterday along with just marginally better shooting he's a starter for the Cavs. Remember that both Sasha and Hughes were both shooting below 40%. We can actually wait til he gets his stroke back. Just run the team don't turn the ball over and occasionally take someone off the dribble.
UncleDrew wrote: I get Buckets!
Curmudgeon
RealGM
And1: 21,783

Post#25 » by Curmudgeon » Mon Feb 25, 2008 3:55 pm

Seattle has nothing to complain about. West got hurt, and then when he came back from injury they jerked him around. He would play some nights, not play others. He was obviously frustrated.

West is a good player, and he hustles. Excellent passer. If he improves his right hand, he can be a very, very good player.

One other thing: the knock on West is that he isn't a "true" point guard, he's a combo guard blah blah blah. Those are just labels. West is an excellent point guard-- better than Watson or Ridnour, that's for sure.

Seattle's loss is Cleveland's gain.
"Numbers lie alot. Wins and losses don't lie." - Jerry West
"You are what your record says you are."- Bill Parcells
"Offense sells tickets. Defense wins games. Rebounding wins championships." Pat Summit
TheOUTLAW
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#26 » by TheOUTLAW » Mon Feb 25, 2008 4:20 pm

I'm not sure that Delonte was the best of Seattles PG's but he was the one that I wanted. Hopefully that works out
Kids Are Alright
Veteran
And1: 137

Post#27 » by Kids Are Alright » Mon Feb 25, 2008 7:18 pm

His look off picks at midrange is great at the 2 position. Very quick shot and deadly accurate, so if he isn't driving left or launching 3s, he has that aspect that was seen in Boston.
Tanking :nonono: Live for the day 8-)
jimmywolfrey
Rookie

Post#28 » by jimmywolfrey » Mon Feb 25, 2008 7:43 pm

What I have seen from Delonte over the 8 years I have been following his career (high school, college, pros)..is that he has always plays the same way with the same passion and hustle defensively. He doesn't let his cold shooting effect his defense. Yes he'll get beat off of the dribble at times against the quicker point guards but you better believe he'll try to recover and block or alter the shot at some point during his recovery.

This year due to his lack of consistent minutes and due to the situation in Seattle and minor injuries, I have seen him play passively alot on offense. I can't stand when he forces himself to JUST be a passing point guard. He is not a passing only point guard. He is more Tony Parker than a Brevin Knight. He is more of a Mike Bibby than Jose Calderon.

I believe his true worth will be when he gets to play with other smart players. One of the major concerns for me while others evaluate Delonte is that I think they fail to see that Delonte would thrive when playing with like players. I think playing with Lebron will bring out the best in Delonte. Delonte is a very heady player in terms of how the game is going and what it takes to win the game. He hates when coaches just run the same offense and he goes sits in a corner waiting for an open shot. He wants to exploit what is there and I believe Lebron is the same way. Playing for a coach that will give him creative freedom is exactly what Delonte needs.

Pros: Shooting range, no fear driving to the hoop, consistent defensively, hustle and energy, Lefty and is at a near all star level going left on the drive, Good overall shooter, can create a shot for himself anytime, can create for others when he is given the option to score at will, clutch scorer, not just a shooter but a scorer, can be taught new tricks, smart player, deceptively athletic and quick, plays well with other heady players

Cons: Below average to average right hand dribbling in general, will get some charging calls, Turnovers sometimes happen in a short time period (ie 2 in one minute or 3 in a 5 minute stretch), can't finish with the right hand on the drive, sometimes playes passive offensively when being restricted as a pass only point guard
jimmywolfrey
Rookie

Post#29 » by jimmywolfrey » Mon Feb 25, 2008 7:46 pm

TheOUTLAW wrote:I'm not sure that Delonte was the best of Seattles PG's but he was the one that I wanted. Hopefully that works out

In that situation, I'm not sure he was the best either. Earl Watson played pretty darn well just passing off to the wings for jump shots and then when they started playing the passing lanes getting the ball to the whole. Earl definitely earned the starting job. But he didn't beat anyone to get it. He was given the starting spot and then just played well so he kept it.

Delonte certainly has the best upside of anyone received in the trades and not just because of his age. He can be a difference maker I believe. Let him go over this shooting slump he is in.
mg
General Manager
And1: 4,023

Post#30 » by mg » Mon Feb 25, 2008 8:01 pm

^^Nice summary jimmywolfrey.

To me Delonte is the most intriguing of all the players received in the trade. I hope he keeps developing and can play next to LeBron for many years.
TheOUTLAW
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#31 » by TheOUTLAW » Mon Feb 25, 2008 8:14 pm

If you read the game thread you will see a situation where Delonte passed up on a wide open shot. I think he is of the belief that he was brought in to play as a pure point guard and that is just not true. Both myself and someone else remarked that Delonte has got to take that shot. The only players on the team that I'm against taking a shot anywhere on the floor when they are open are Ben Wallace and Eric Snow and even they have to take shots when they are in their range or people will just not guard them. While I am not at the point where I am with Gibson where I want him to shoot just about anytime he gets the ball I think that Delonte has got to look for his shot and/or to create instead of just passing theball when it comes to him on the perimeter.
heathmalc
Analyst
And1: 16

Post#32 » by heathmalc » Mon Feb 25, 2008 9:45 pm

I think I agree with you OUTLAW - assuming that he doesn't take-over Hughes' number of bad shots!

We didn't like hughes because he couldn't shoot. If Delonte is in a slump...so be it. But if he has 1for 10, 3 for 16, 2 for 9, 4 for 18 games consecutively, then I DON'T want him shooting!

What I liked about his play yesterday (Sunday) was that he got the ball up-court fast, and was running the offense, letting LeBron roam a little-bit. THAT is what I like the most!
We the People...
jimmywolfrey
Rookie

Post#33 » by jimmywolfrey » Wed Feb 27, 2008 2:13 pm

Its tough seeing Delonte in a shooting slump but he isn't getting any type of lift on his shots. I believe his plantar faciitis is still bothering him. His leaping ability isn't there when rising off of both feet. When he can jump off of his right foot i think he is fine. Something to watch for definitely.
GuyClinch
RealGM
And1: 1,478

Post#34 » by GuyClinch » Wed Feb 27, 2008 2:32 pm

Don't believe the hype - Delonte is not a very good NBA player. He is a step slow on D - and for a shooter he shoots poorly. He has 1 guard size but two guard skill with regards to his handle.

Gibson should start over him when he returns..
jimmywolfrey
Rookie

Post#35 » by jimmywolfrey » Wed Feb 27, 2008 3:40 pm

GuyClinch wrote:Don't believe the hype - Delonte is not a very good NBA player. He is a step slow on D - and for a shooter he shoots poorly. He has 1 guard size but two guard skill with regards to his handle.

Gibson should start over him when he returns..

riight. from the #1 delonte west hater when he was on the celtics.

I don't think he is a step slow on defense. He is not a shooter, he is a more of a scorer.
wickerhd
Bench Warmer
And1: 139

Post#36 » by wickerhd » Wed Feb 27, 2008 5:40 pm

Celtic fan here, and like everyone else I love him for his attitude and toughness. he'd play with a broken leg. He has a very pretty 3 point shot, but he is streaky. He'll shoot them at about .360 if healthy. Great teammate and good for chemistry in the locker room. Good at team defense. He was a point guard in high school so he knows how to play the position.

The downside is that he won't be able to guard quicker point guards one on one and he's too short to bother the better shooting guards. Eric Snow in his prime is what you can expect, and that ain't bad.
****dave
heathmalc
Analyst
And1: 16

Post#37 » by heathmalc » Wed Feb 27, 2008 6:04 pm

That isn't good. Eric Snow was never a good shooter. Now I definitely want Gibson to start.
We the People...
jimmywolfrey
Rookie

Post#38 » by jimmywolfrey » Wed Feb 27, 2008 8:38 pm

wickerhd wrote:Celtic fan here, and like everyone else I love him for his attitude and toughness. he'd play with a broken leg. He has a very pretty 3 point shot, but he is streaky. He'll shoot them at about .360 if healthy. Great teammate and good for chemistry in the locker room. Good at team defense. He was a point guard in high school so he knows how to play the position.

The downside is that he won't be able to guard quicker point guards one on one and he's too short to bother the better shooting guards. Eric Snow in his prime is what you can expect, and that ain't bad.

he wasn't the point guard in high school.. E. Roosevelt had another dude at the point guard spot...he was a transfer from DeMatha. Delonte West played the 2guard and Eddie Basden played the small forward position. Delonte hasn't played point guard primarily since his sophomore year of high school.
jimmywolfrey
Rookie

Post#39 » by jimmywolfrey » Wed Feb 27, 2008 8:41 pm

heathmalc wrote:That isn't good. Eric Snow was never a good shooter. Now I definitely want Gibson to start.

Delonte is a scorer not just a shooter. Gibson is a shooter and not a scorer. If the Cavs just need a shooter out there then Gibson i think is a better 3point pure shooter the Dwest.
risktaker91
Banned User

Post#40 » by risktaker91 » Thu Feb 28, 2008 4:00 am

Delonte West is one of my favorite players. Wanted him on the Raptors so bad, but I hope he really thrives in Cleveland.

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers