ImageImageImage

Cleveland Core

Moderator: ijspeelman

eyejayem
Pro Prospect
And1: 0

Cleveland Core 

Post#1 » by eyejayem » Tue Feb 26, 2008 10:30 pm

What players now formulate the core of the cavs and who will be kept or dangled out there? What happens to Andy? Joe Smith? Gibson and West? Wally next year?
Test of Wills
Analyst
And1: 6

Post#2 » by Test of Wills » Tue Feb 26, 2008 10:50 pm

LBJ, Varejao and Boobie Gibson
Hydroponic3385
Rookie
And1: 138

Post#3 » by Hydroponic3385 » Tue Feb 26, 2008 10:53 pm

Hopefully Delonte will prove himself to be good enough to be considered part of the core.
calibanPK
Pro Prospect
And1: 19

Post#4 » by calibanPK » Tue Feb 26, 2008 11:38 pm

Hydroponic3385 wrote:Hopefully Delonte will prove himself to be good enough to be considered part of the core.

I think he will. Look at Rajon Rondo. Kid was decent his rookie year, showed a little bit of everything on what he could do with only Paul Pierce by his side, and now look at him. He's a solid contributer to one of the best teams in the east.

Delonte also played in Boston with Pierce and scrubs, then he went to Seattle where they have what, 4 other PGs? Problem here is that Delonte has never played with a great team before, but now that he's with the Cav's where each player has a specific role even more than ever, we'll be able to see him shine. And by adding 3 other high Bball IQ guys, ooh boyyyy.
eyejayem
Pro Prospect

Post#5 » by eyejayem » Wed Feb 27, 2008 12:33 am

Is sasha not part of the core. He is still young and has learned how to play defense. I guess after realizing you have to play defense to get playing time and getting tired of bring posterized by Bron in practice. His defense really showed up last season and he was the only reason we won sometimes last year without Lebron when he was the initiator on offense. Just wanted to know what everyone else thought.

Plus for Varrajao are we signing him to a long term deal next season or does Ferry see his trade value?
Hydroponic3385
Rookie
And1: 138

Post#6 » by Hydroponic3385 » Wed Feb 27, 2008 12:45 am

I sure hope we will be able to resign Varejao when his contract is up. But I also hope he gets a new agent. :lol:

As far as Sasha goes, after last year I would've definitely considered him part of the core, at least as a very nice role player. But when he was healthy this season it seemed like his defense dramatically declined and he couldn't find his shot. And of course, as soon as he was coming around, he got injured again. Overall, I'd guess that he will be part of our core, but nothing more as a role player. If he goes back to what he's capable of, he can defend, shoot the jumper, and drive. Unless we end up getting someone like Mike Miller in return for him and an expiring or a pick or whatever, I'm happy to keep Pavlovic.
TheOUTLAW
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,757

Post#7 » by TheOUTLAW » Wed Feb 27, 2008 1:11 am

Sasha is not part of the core although he could be if he were to become more consistent. I think he has the talent but he's got to become more consistent.
UncleDrew wrote: I get Buckets!
eyejayem
Pro Prospect

Post#8 » by eyejayem » Wed Feb 27, 2008 2:03 am

so if Delonte fits in well at the backcourt, do we try and upgrade the wing? Do we go after Mike Miller? I think Ferry may but does Brown try and get more defensive?

I think if there was a player in the mold of Stephen Jackson he would fit perfectly. Jackson is about to turn 30 but plays defense extremely well plus with the length(6'8"), secondary scorer at about 20ppg, hits the three,handles the ball, and gives asts(over 4apg). If he was younger I think Cavs should be all over him. The teams defense and offense would be rediculous. Plus he made the stink about being traded to the east after he thought he was snubbed with Davis for the allstar game.
mg
General Manager
And1: 4,009

Post#9 » by mg » Wed Feb 27, 2008 3:19 am

I will wait until the offseason to single out 'core' players. AV could be one but his contract situation could really muck things up the next few years. We haven't seen enough of West yet and he will be a restricted FA this summer.

As far as Sasha in concerned, I think he will prove invaluable in the playoffs with perimeter defense. They will need someone to defend perimeter shooters/scorers like Ray Allen, Kapono, and Vince Carter. With Hughes and Newble gone, they really need Pavs to embrace this role to make it back to the Finals.
Buckeye-NBAFan
General Manager
And1: 4,522

Post#10 » by Buckeye-NBAFan » Wed Feb 27, 2008 4:09 am

LeBron is the core. There isn't another player on this team that has a single all-star bid in their future, so its hard to call guys like Gibson and Varejao "core" players. They're role players, and below average starters in this league.
Baseline Runner
Analyst
And1: 1,067

Post#11 » by Baseline Runner » Wed Feb 27, 2008 8:21 am

Its going to take Delonte atleast a couple of weeks to adjust to the trade and being thrust into the starting lineup of a playoff team. He was on the bench in Seattle and struggling with confidence this year so you can see what a contrast the two situations are for him. But he is already showing flashes of brilliance in a PG that we haven't seen in years, even though he isn't even considered a true PG. I really think he has the cieling of Chauncey Billups, whom both have a similar playing style, and his first 3 years in the league were better than Chauncey's.
heathmalc
Analyst
And1: 16

Post#12 » by heathmalc » Wed Feb 27, 2008 11:36 am

LeBron wants a team that is a championship contender EVERY year.

Ilgauskas will stay with the team until he retires, and Gibson is staying here.

Varejao is too valuable, and if Delonte West doesn't pick up his game, I see the Cavaliers trading Varejao,West and another for a SG who can (and has a record of) making his shots, AND who can play defense. If the SG isn't available, then I look for the Cavs to make a play for a PG who will make a difference: Mo Williams, Baron Davis, TJ Ford,etc.

The clock is ticking, but I'm not sure what will be available. But I can almost guarantee that the Cavs make a trade this summer for a SG or PG who is all-star quality (offense & defense), or damn close to it.

Sasha,Snow,Damon,Wally,Varejao will all be dangled.
We the People...
GoLebron
Ballboy

Post#13 » by GoLebron » Wed Feb 27, 2008 11:48 am

At this point, the core is Lebron, by default. He's the only proven commodity here. Obviously Ilgauskas is here til he retires, but at this point, that doesn't qualify him as a core piece.

Wally and Joe Smith are nice pieces, but with their beautiful expiring contracts next year, neither are good enough to keep in favor of trading for a true superstar.

In terms of Delonte and Boobie, I think one will definitely turn into part of our core, but its possible that both could. Delonte West has the potential to be that complimentary pg that Lebron needs, whereas I don't think Gibson does. However Boobie is that spot up shooter that Lebron needs. It all depends on how they develop. I can see Delonte being the pg and Boobie developing into a Monta Ellis type with a killer stroke from the outside. That would be ideal. But I can also see one of them not fitting in or one being dealt as a trade chip for a superstar.

I would love AV to be a core of this team, but he doesn't seem interested. I see him being used as a trading chip in the offseason or at the next deadline, unless he really prospers with this new team and is willing to give the cavs real signs of commitment. If he won't do that, he is way more valuable in a trade than as an expiring contract.

Ben Wallace is probably here until the end of his contract or until it can be used as a trade chip, which I don't think qualifies him as a core. I do think he will be a valuable piece of the cavs for the next two years, mostly because he has to be.

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers