ImageImageImage

Cleveland/GS Warriors trade

Moderator: ijspeelman

heathmalc
Analyst
And1: 16

Cleveland/GS Warriors trade 

Post#1 » by heathmalc » Wed Feb 27, 2008 5:14 pm

Baron Davis reported to camp this past summer with the intentions of opting out of his contract at the end of this season. It has been said that he'd still do it if he could get a contract from a team this off-season (for what he's worth), however lately people are assuming he won't opt-out because there doesn't appear to be any chance of him getting the contract he'd like.

My proposal:

Cleveland sends Anderson Varejao and Wally Szczerbiak plus their 2008 and 2010 draft pick to GS for Baron Davis and Brandan Wright.

The Cavaliers do this trade because of Baron Davis' ability to shoot the ball and to have a top-tier point-guard who is dangerous on offense, and plays defense....and can "run" a team (figuratively and literally)

GS does this trade because they have already been at odds with Davis, and with the emergence of Ellis, who they will re-sign on the cheap, Davis is expendable....for the right price. Remember that Chris Mullin is under orders to keep the team out of the luxury tax. Well, if they re-sign Ellis to just the MLE, they will surpass that. By getting Varejao, they get a young BIG who can run, and play defense. In Wally Szczerbiak they get an expiring contract that they can deal before the deadline for someone else if they want...or just keep him for the cap room. In-addition, GS gets the Cavs #1 pick in '08 which is a deep draft by all accounts, and the Cav's 2010 pick.

Nellie is going to quit after this season, and Nellie-Ball will be a thing of the past. This makes good sense for GS to do this trade, and makes Great sense for the Cavaliers.
mg
General Manager
And1: 4,027

Post#2 » by mg » Wed Feb 27, 2008 5:22 pm

It's probably a little too early to suggest offseason trades now. We should just let this season play out, watch how the new players fit, and then see who eventually becomes available. With that said, I would love to see a premier PG and a young big man added to this team. Maybe I will feel differently about the PG depending on how Delonte and Boobie develop though.
heathmalc
Analyst

Post#3 » by heathmalc » Wed Feb 27, 2008 5:31 pm

I'm just not convinced that Delonte is all that everyone is saying he is. Perhaps if he could dribble with his right hand, then I'd be more confident. As it stands...I like Gibson more than Delonte.
We the People...
Smooth32
Lead Assistant
And1: 4

Post#4 » by Smooth32 » Wed Feb 27, 2008 6:54 pm

I'm fine with Delonte... Plus the Warriors would laugh at this offer...
Smooth32
Lead Assistant

Post#5 » by Smooth32 » Wed Feb 27, 2008 7:46 pm

heathmalc wrote:I'm just not convinced that Delonte is all that everyone is saying he is. Perhaps if he could dribble with his right hand, then I'd be more confident. As it stands...I like Gibson more than Delonte.

Gibson is a better shooter but West is the better point guard... He already has 15 assists in two games... When's the last time Gibson has done that? Gibson has only had two games of 7+ assists this year in the 48 games he's played... West already has two in his first two games...
heathmalc
Analyst

Post#6 » by heathmalc » Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:41 pm

Smooth32 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Gibson is a better shooter but West is the better point guard... He already has 15 assists in two games... When's the last time Gibson has done that? Gibson has only had two games of 7+ assists this year in the 48 games he's played... West already has two in his first two games...

Yeah... that's true. But he also makes his shots and he doesn't turn the ball over as much.

Like I said...I may be "jumping the gun," but I'm just having second-thoughts.

I hope I'm wrong.

As for the Warriors laughing at the trade...don't be so sure. If Baron opts out and decides he doesn't want to stay at GS...they may be forced to do something, or lose him for nothing.
Smooth32
Lead Assistant

Post#7 » by Smooth32 » Wed Feb 27, 2008 11:03 pm

heathmalc wrote:Yeah... that's true. But he also makes his shots and he doesn't turn the ball over as much.

Delonte can make his shots too, it's just Delonte hasn't shown it thus far...

It's kind of funny you say that though since Delonte and Gibson have similar career FG% number (West 44.2%, Gibson 44.5%), similar FT% number (West 82%, Gibson 78%)... The only place that Gibson beats West is in the TS% and 3PT% category...

I'm not worried about Delonte being a stealth shooter... All I want is consistency and above 36% from 3 and 44% from the field and I'll be happy... Delonte has proved he can do that, it's just a matter of time now...

Like I said...I may be "jumping the gun," but I'm just having second-thoughts.

heathmalc wrote:As for the Warriors laughing at the trade...don't be so sure. If Baron opts out and decides he doesn't want to stay at GS...they may be forced to do something, or lose him for nothing.

Baron is making more than he could anywhere else... Why would he opt out? On top of that he is their best player, is a star in the Bay Area and is on a team where he is allowed freedom, as well as a style of offense in which he excels in... I don't see Baron option for any reason; and on top of that, he went to college at UCLA and has family in that area..

Why in the world would he opt out?

Plus I don't know if that would get it done... If they trade him they'd probably want a point guard or 2-guard back, not Szczerbiak...

Varejao is redundant with Biedrins there and why would they want to mess with his contract issues? I mean they pretty much know he's going to opt out and even if he doesn't, they'd have a heck of a time keeping him... Nobody in the league wants to deal with Dan Fegan and that includes Golden State...

Plus our 1st round picks will be in the mid-20's, it won't do any good for that team..

And then on top of that, you throw in Brandan Wright who they just got for Jason Richardson and is their only real low-post scorer? I'm not even sure they'd trade him straight up for Varejao, let alone in this package...

There is no way they do this, even if Baron opts out... There'd be much better options out there then this, I'm sure...
Whateva
Pro Prospect
And1: 38

Post#8 » by Whateva » Wed Feb 27, 2008 11:51 pm

NO.
Flash4thewin
RealGM
And1: 8,031

Post#9 » by Flash4thewin » Thu Feb 28, 2008 4:25 am

Baron will opt out to get a longer max contract
heathmalc
Analyst

Post#10 » by heathmalc » Thu Feb 28, 2008 11:31 am

Baron can make more signing with GS..that is true. But what I am talking about is a sign-n-trade, which doesn't affect his earning power.

Two combo guards in our back-court...that'd be awesome!
We the People...
realfung
Assistant Coach
And1: 44

Post#11 » by realfung » Thu Feb 28, 2008 9:31 pm

BD and Wright??

Warriors fans say NO
scwarrior
Freshman
And1: 2

Post#12 » by scwarrior » Tue Mar 4, 2008 11:54 pm

this is the funiest trade proposal ever, i don't think we'd trade Anderson Varejao and Wally Szczerbiak for just brandan wright!
eyejayem
Pro Prospect
And1: 0

Post#13 » by eyejayem » Wed Mar 5, 2008 3:18 am

I know what this was... This is the high ball offer before we steal SJax. Good job. I hope. lol.
heathmalc
Analyst

Post#14 » by heathmalc » Wed Mar 5, 2008 10:15 am

eyejayem wrote:I know what this was... This is the high ball offer before we steal SJax. Good job. I hope. lol.

lol

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers