ImageImageImage

Hughes makes STUPID comment(s)...sure to upset Cavs fans

Moderator: ijspeelman

TheOUTLAW
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,757

Post#21 » by TheOUTLAW » Mon Mar 3, 2008 2:51 am

NO matter how you slice it the Cavs felt they had to make a big move. Yeah, the moves didn't pan out to what we wanted them to, but they did produce 2 50 win teams and a finals team. I can't see how you'd bang away at Ferry too much for that. Heck the Bulls have had bushels full of high draft picks and where are they now? Just getting good players does not guarantee anything in this league. It's how they play together.
UncleDrew wrote: I get Buckets!
B Mac
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 540

Post#22 » by B Mac » Mon Mar 3, 2008 7:10 am

At least this finally explains all of those 3 on 1 fastbreak pullup jumpers he took. He didnt care about winning, he cared about getting his shots in. 5 shots and a Cavs win was worse to him than 20 shots and a Cavs loss. Thats sad, but it at least finally explains why he did the crap that he did. Anyone else see him smiling while LeBron was single handedly kicking his ass today? He didnt care about that, he was smiling because he got his shots in. You can question Larry's heart but not his head, now. He had reasons to do what he did, and for whatever reason he chose to be a me first player. True addition by subtraction.

He is the exact opposite of Drew Dum Dum. You can question his head, but you definately cant question his heart.
heathmalc
Analyst
And1: 16

Post#23 » by heathmalc » Mon Mar 3, 2008 11:57 am

Yeah, as dumb as Drew was on the court, I'll miss him. He was all about the team. Even if he sucked at defense..he did try...problem was is that he often was trying to guard the wrong man, while his went to the hoop for an easy dunk.

Would have been nice to have him on our bench.

As for Larry...see my earlier posts on my feelings regarding him - nothing has changed!
We the People...
Joe Kleazy
Sixth Man
And1: 95

Post#24 » by Joe Kleazy » Mon Mar 3, 2008 5:28 pm

This guy does come off as a loser, but trying to be objective maybe through the wrong words he just feels as though he would be a bigger cog in the machine.

He was signed to a large contract as a slasher coming from washington where he was a big part of that team and now he was forced to play set-up man on a team who is constantly labelled as having a poor supporting cast to a superstar.

You have to admit that all the success that cleveland recieves goes to lebron and maybe larry should have thought about what he was getting into before he signed up for it. Ego's are a B**** and nearly EVERY player in the league has them (damon jones :crazy:) and when your never given any credit after your so used to recieving it for a while it will effect your pride.

But yeah he could have kept this comment to himself seeing as though it wont look good when trying to get another job/contract in the future.
heathmalc
Analyst

Post#25 » by heathmalc » Mon Mar 3, 2008 5:52 pm

Joe Kleazy wrote:But yeah he could have kept this comment to himself seeing as though it wont look good when trying to get another job/contract in the future.

Yeah, that's an understatement. I wonder how many GM's are interested in players that openly say that they don't really care about winning.

Larry Hughes has made himself the league's poster-boy for selfish players!
Benedict_Boozer
RealGM
And1: 5,694

Post#26 » by Benedict_Boozer » Mon Mar 3, 2008 6:09 pm

heathmalc wrote:Yeah, as dumb as Drew was on the court, I'll miss him. He was all about the team. Even if he sucked at defense..he did try...problem was is that he often was trying to guard the wrong man, while his went to the hoop for an easy dunk.

Would have been nice to have him on our bench.

As for Larry...see my earlier posts on my feelings regarding him - nothing has changed!

Yeah Drew is a good guy and team player, I think he was happy here having found a home. Too bad his bball IQ is so low
heathmalc
Analyst

Post#27 » by heathmalc » Tue Mar 4, 2008 7:54 am

Benedict_Boozer wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Yeah Drew is a good guy and team player, I think he was happy here having found a home. Too bad his bball IQ is so low

Despite Drew's lapses, I don't see him having a problem getting another long-term contract... Larry on the other hand, well the future isn't so bright for him.
INKtastic
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,959

Post#28 » by INKtastic » Tue Mar 4, 2008 3:28 pm

Larry will have no trouble getting a contract - he was our 2nd best player and is the bulls best player.
http://www.inktastic.com/ Custom T-Shirts and more
Rerisen
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,052

Post#29 » by Rerisen » Tue Mar 4, 2008 4:44 pm

lj4mvp wrote:Larry will have no trouble getting a contract - he was our 2nd best player and is the bulls best player.

:lol:

If Larry is our best player, how did you guys only win 1 more game than us last year, when you had LeBron James + another guy better than anyone we had?

That 12 PER he averaged in Cleveland the last 2 years really speaks to a guy that would be the best player on any team.

If were playing him a lot, its probably because the organization wants to move him on draft day or in the offseason and prop up his value.
heathmalc
Analyst

Post#30 » by heathmalc » Tue Mar 4, 2008 4:53 pm

Selfish loss isn't as good as team win

Unhappy Hughes says strange things

By Patrick McManamon
Beacon Journal columnist

There are times when the words of athletes make you wonder when you left the planet.

When exactly was it that you entered some kind of separate reality, filled with flying bunnies, talking rocks and dancing trees?

Larry Hughes provided one of those moments this weekend.

You remember Hughes. He's the former Cavs player who signed for a boatload of money a few years ago and then was unhappy playing on the same team as LeBron James, a team that a year ago played in the NBA Finals.

Which is bizarre enough in itself.

''I play to enjoy myself,'' he said.

Note the word ''myself.''

Pretty much what we've been saying for 3 days.

You can't post an entire article.
LoveThemCavs
Analyst
And1: 143

Post#31 » by LoveThemCavs » Tue Mar 4, 2008 7:09 pm

I'm not sure why it would upset any Cavs fans. Most everyone wanted him out of here and he wanted to leave. Larry obviously stepped on his own toes with this answer. But it shouldn't bother us, he didn't want to play PG or this style that the Cavs play. But he did it anyways while he was here. Glad this trade went down more than ever.
heathmalc
Analyst

Post#32 » by heathmalc » Tue Mar 4, 2008 7:57 pm

LoveThemCavs wrote:I'm not sure why it would upset any Cavs fans. Most everyone wanted him out of here and he wanted to leave. Larry obviously stepped on his own toes with this answer. But it shouldn't bother us, he didn't want to play PG or this style that the Cavs play. But he did it anyways while he was here. Glad this trade went down more than ever.

It's upsetting in retrospect to know that we paid for a person who we thought would be doing whatever was necesarry to win games. It makes you wonder about those shots he'd take during the playoffs, and regular season...maybe he ignored the fact someone was wide-open, so he could get "his."

It also makes Cavs fans breath a sigh of relief, knowing what we do now about Hughes - assuring us that this trade was 100% the right move!!!!!!
Rerisen
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,052

Post#33 » by Rerisen » Tue Mar 4, 2008 11:56 pm

I have a question about Hughes, which I think can fit in here.

It is relevant to a discussion on the Bulls board, and I think partially to what Cavs fans are discussing here in light of Larry's comments.

Do Cavs fans think Larry Hughes gave 100% effort toward the role that was asked of him in Cleveland? I don't mean did he try 100% to make every shot he took, because that is not the same thing. But did he do everything in his power to play the role that Cleveland asked and needed of him to perform for the team to succeed?

Now maybe he tried and just wasn't good at doing those things (PG) and thus the two parties had to split. Alternately, is it possible that he had become so unhappy not getting to have 'fun' and play the way he wished, that he just went off and sort of played his own game at times, to the detriment of the team?
TheOUTLAW
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,757

Post#34 » by TheOUTLAW » Wed Mar 5, 2008 12:25 am

I always thought Hughes gave the effort, his shot selection however often led to him being benched at the ends of games. Neither he nor Gooden were part of the teams closing team. That should be a concern for the Bulls.
UncleDrew wrote: I get Buckets!
Benedict_Boozer
RealGM
And1: 5,694

Post#35 » by Benedict_Boozer » Wed Mar 5, 2008 1:52 am

Rerisen wrote:I have a question about Hughes, which I think can fit in here.

It is relevant to a discussion on the Bulls board, and I think partially to what Cavs fans are discussing here in light of Larry's comments.

Do Cavs fans think Larry Hughes gave 100% effort toward the role that was asked of him in Cleveland? I don't mean did he try 100% to make every shot he took, because that is not the same thing. But did he do everything in his power to play the role that Cleveland asked and needed of him to perform for the team to succeed?

Now maybe he tried and just wasn't good at doing those things (PG) and thus the two parties had to split. Alternately, is it possible that he had become so unhappy not getting to have 'fun' and play the way he wished, that he just went off and sort of played his own game at times, to the detriment of the team?

That's the thing about it...Larry actually played hard for a guy who is saying he didn't give a damn. Don't get me wrong, he sucked but on defense he was always giving great effort.

Another thing about it is he has a super high defensive IQ, he knows where to be on defense, can read lanes, etc. but at the same time, he has pretty much the worst offensive IQ you can imagine.

So to answer your question I think he brings the effort, regardless of his comments, but if he doesn't like his role on offense he is just gonna start jacking up whatever random shot he wants. And it's not really that he played "bad" at PG, when he STUCK TO HIS ROLE, which is limit his shots, play defense, and setup his teammates our record was excellent and we'd run off huge winning streaks.

In a sentence he's capable of adapting his game, he just doesn't want to. He wants to play his style and have the team adapt the system to him, which is stupid cause he's not THAT good.
B Mac
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 540

Post#36 » by B Mac » Wed Mar 5, 2008 5:53 am

Im not sure if it was that he didnt give effort because he sure did look like he was trying, but the obvious shift in his play really clicked in, in about January of this year. He played his absolute best ball since he's been here, except for perhaps a month or so in his first year. Now Im not saying that he wasnt playing hard before, but him being able to instantly play his best ball staring in January with that trade deadline coming up is at the very least suspicious. I wouldnt be too surprised at all if even privately there were discussions between Larry and management where they flat out told him that if he played hard for the next month they would do their absolute best to see to it he was traded.

It was strange with him though, because aside from the flat out dumbass shots he would jack up, it always looked like he was trying hard. However come January he started actually hitting those shots, taking less of them, and started driving again. So take that FWIW.
heathmalc
Analyst

Post#37 » by heathmalc » Wed Mar 5, 2008 10:27 am

I think that I agree with the other two posters - at least partially.

I believe Larry always played 100%. I don't think he took games off.

Where I differ is that I think that Larry would grudgingly play the role he was told to play, but on the offensive end he would do things that he wasn't supposed to because he was trying to do "his" thing, or perhaps show the coaching staff that they should change the offense for him. I think this may be a partial answer for why Larry would take so many shots with 10-15 seconds still on the shot-clock, often while being hounded defensively, thus putting up bad shot after bad shot.

I DONT think that he played within the system. By his own admission, I don't believe his heart was ever in the game with the Cavs, and I am EXTREMELY happy that he is gone!
We the People...

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers