13 games in, Time to ask some season questions

Moderator: ijspeelman

kiwibrindle
Starter
And1: 80

13 games in, Time to ask some season questions 

Post#1 » by kiwibrindle » Mon Nov 24, 2008 12:24 pm

After 13 games,

The guys have not looked this good since Richfield.

:) We are 10 - 3
:) 7 and 0 on our home court
:) Mo has meshed very well so far
:) Delonte has shot exceptionally
:) Ben has played like the Wallace of old so that Z have shoot more in the high post
:) Wally actually looks comfortable in hos new limited role
:) James now doesn't look like he has to have the ball for us to win
:) Coach Brown has a descent rotation working very early in the season

:P All looks well, even though the constant distraction of this being Cleveland and we are so used to being disappointed and there are still news stories about things like McDyess not wanting to come here (and wanting to go to Detroit :o , why?) and the Knicks looking ready for 2010 (I could careless by the way :lol: ).

I have one question of the guys who have been on this board for sometime about what matters about this team from what you have seen so far:

(Just because the three games we have dropped have been to three teams that will compete for the title this year, are we ready to win it all season? I know its early and I'm not going to make a perdiction but I'm asking the RealGM Cleveland Basketball Junkies how you feel about this with your heads not your hearts like the youngins like to do);

:-? Have we just gotten better?
:-? Have we just gotten good enough to beat the bums on an everyday basis and win close to 60 this year?
:-? Have we become a true title contender?
:-? Do you feel like we are a shoe in for the title?

I'm not sure if I'd believing we can win it for sure. All because the three loses have as shown we still are not, in my mind, as strong as Boston was last year. We are close though. Thoughts?
chrisgross220
Ballboy
And1: 0

Re: 13 games in, Time to ask some season questions 

Post#2 » by chrisgross220 » Mon Nov 24, 2008 3:41 pm

Have we just gotten better?
Have we just gotten good enough to beat the bums on an everyday basis and win close to 60 this year?
Have we become a true title contender?
Do you feel like we are a shoe in for the title?

I have not been on these boards as a poster for long but have been an avid reader of them for quite some time, but I think I have a few thoughts on these questions.

1. We have definetly gotten better. The addition of Mo has given LBJ a side kick and as we have seen in the last 5 games a guy who can score 20 while bring up the ball and allowing Lebron to do his work more often off the ball. When LBJ scores near 30 and Mo scores 20 + we should win just about every game and it looks like this will consistently happen.

2. I believe, if we avoid injuries to our key players (Lebron and Mo), we should be able to get near that 60 win mark. However it is hard to say becasue we have not played any of the elite teams in the leauge at home and until we show we can beat them we are just guessing. But my guess is that we will continue to beat the low life home/away and beat the good teams at home.

3.YES!!! We are a contender! It's great to even truly be able to say that! But, we will not be the favorite in my eyes going into the post season unless we have home court advantage throughout. Let's go get it!

4. NO. Not a shoe in. We need one more piece for that!

Go Cavs! Let's Win It All!!!
RevMan26
Pro Prospect

Post#3 » by RevMan26 » Mon Nov 24, 2008 9:57 pm

I think we can easily make it to the Eastern Conference Championship. Boston is not as good as they were last year. They lost James Posey. Now most of you think, James Posey, he's not their star player. But the fact is, who guarded LeBron and Kobe in the playoffs and finals. It was James Posey. Paul Pierce is still a descent defender, but we took them to 7 games last year, and I think we can beat them in 6.

I think we can do it. Stellar shooting and defense from key bench players, as well as Delonte's excellent start, as well as Mo turning into the PG of our dreams. We made the finals two years ago with LeBron playing 40+ minutes a night and always bringing us back. This year he doesn't have to play 40+ minutes and we have role players who can score and play well when LeBron takes a breather. My guess will be Cavs vs. Lakers in the finals??
B Mac
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 540

Post#4 » by B Mac » Mon Nov 24, 2008 10:01 pm

Here's where Im at with this team.

Its still VERY early but I flat out cannot help but be excited about them. Taking a step back and trying to use my head not my heart I can see a couple issues that need to be worked on, and I believe will be addressed as the season roles along.

First, our defense needs some work. Not that we dont have stretches of lights out shut down defense because we absolutely do, and those times are amazing to watch, but we need to work on the consistancy. Im generally not all that worred about this for two reasons though, 1) Its November and its tough to play complete defensive games every single time out. Once the playoffs role arond I imagine this team will once again be the best defensive team in the playoffs. 2) We have Mike Brown as a coach and as we all know he is 95% defense 5% offense.

Second, and I know the stats will prove me wrong, but I just dont quite trust our offense yet. I know I know, we look great and all, but I just cant help getting the feeling that we still need just that one more CONSISTANT threat. In all of our big games and losses (Boston, NO, Detroit) we have still had some trouble getting some offense when we needed it. For a team with the best player in the league, a 7 footer with great range, and a bunch of lights out shooters you wouldnt think that this would be such a problem, but I just keep thinking to myself how next to unstoppable we would be if we had another guy who was a serious threat. If this team didnt even have to work for its offense look out... :o That would be scary.

This team is doing what it needs to do though.
- Games at homes need to be wins. Check.
- Games on the road against subpar teams need to be wins. Check
- Games on the road against tough teams need to be wins....

Do the first two and you win 60 games, find a way to win even half of the last and you are looking at 65+. Fortunately, we shouldnt have to do all 3 to get the top seed. I see right around 61 or 62 being enough.
TheOUTLAW
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,757

Post#5 » by TheOUTLAW » Mon Nov 24, 2008 10:04 pm

I agree with you about our offense because we really are more of a jump shooting team. However, we do normally have at least 3 guys on the floor who can take their man off the dribble. We just don't do it enough IMO.
UncleDrew wrote: I get Buckets!
Rise Against
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 73

Post#6 » by Rise Against » Tue Nov 25, 2008 12:43 am

^^That is because most of our players besides LeBron are made to be spot up jumpshooters. I am not so much satisfied with the offense either but I am exceptionally happy with the way we are playing even if we may look a little sloppy at times i.e. 3rd quarters.
gflem
Analyst
And1: 276

Post#7 » by gflem » Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:34 am

I think we are a low post presence away from being the favorite. Lebron isnt skilled enough yet, and hasnt yet shown he is willing to go inside every posession when it counts late in the close games. He still has a tendency to stay outside and try to will his way to a good shot (which against most teams he can do), but against det and bos we saw him revert to 1 on 5 again.
It is still early so I think this will be addressed in time, but Lebron has to get more comfortable down low without the ball, he wont be able to consistently beat the better teams from outside and we have seen that already this season.
But all that being said I still think we are better than last season, or even 2 yrs ago when we went to the finals. We need good health from mo, lbj, and everyone up front. If we get that, there is a very good chance we will be in the finals again.
kiwibrindle
Starter

Post#8 » by kiwibrindle » Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:03 pm

Guys thanks for the love great posts.

That's what I thought to. We still are missing a major piece, and we still are missing a bench player too. Trading deadline this year should be interesting with the contracts we have to unload. Snow and Wally's 20 million expiring make this year the key to not only this season but to LBJ's need for a ring.

Only one other comment, Revman please add World B. Free to the Cavs Legends because without him Cleveland would not have a team today.
RevMan26
Pro Prospect

Post#9 » by RevMan26 » Wed Nov 26, 2008 5:14 am

That's true. Will do. I'm only 23 and have been an avid Cavs fan since around '96. Don't know many of the "older" playing besides the fab-3 in the early 90's. I've personally met Austin Carr and Z, and these guys are great!!

But about Wally, I like him and think he brings alot to the team, but with his expiring contract, we need to get something for that. Rather it be a nice role player or a nice side piece next to LeBron, we need to do it. I don't like the Vince Carter and Jason Richardson trade talks on the boards here. Vince Carter would keep us from getting a big free agent in 2010, and J-Rich isn't what he used to be.
kiwibrindle
Starter

Post#10 » by kiwibrindle » Wed Nov 26, 2008 12:35 pm

I have no idea who would be available near the trading deadline this year. It will all depend on team's records at that point in the season as well.

If I'm Ferry and everyone stays healthy and we are playing well like we are now, I think a trade is a difficult decision. You don't want to upset chemistry, but if there's a Gasol type trade to be had out there I'd still do it for Snow and Wally. I do like what Wally is doing this year but not for $13 million. Like the players say, "It's a business".

I could see us looking at these guys near the deadline if the wildest situations happen (note all PF's):

Boozer (maybe but Utah has to have a very bad record)
Dirk (not likely because his all that Cuban has)
Jason Richardson (not likely because he is not a great defender)
Troy Murphy (not likely because he is not a great defender)
And in a real unlikely scenario Bosh (if Toranto goes 0 and 15 at some point early on because you know he's not going back to Toranto in 2010).
RevMan26
Pro Prospect

Post#11 » by RevMan26 » Wed Nov 26, 2008 10:40 pm

Yeah, Raptor's fans need to face the facts that when you are a 5 star player, you aren't going to play in Canada. McGrady bolted the first chance he could, so I expect Bosh to do the same.
eyejayem
Pro Prospect

Post#12 » by eyejayem » Thu Nov 27, 2008 10:45 pm

The problem with all that is trying to see what that missing piece is. I think that Wally is doing a great job and getting Mike Miller would just fit in more just because Miller is more efficient and you can have him run the ball at times because he has great vision. Plus he is one of the best rebounders at the SG position. But that is still a lateral move.

The post is a different situation. McDysse would have been perfect in my eyes since we can put him on the bench and fit right in and mentor JJ. But with rumors about him going back to Detroit IDK. So who can we bring in that won't mess with chemistry or will get enough shots or will take the starting position from Ben or Z. AV may be on the way out and now LBJ playing more PF what is going to happen. A rumor for Antawn Jamison has surfaced because of their situation but what will we do and where will he go? Do we start him with Z or Ben. Give Z the rest with how good he has been playing and put him on the bench. Now Z goes ahead of AV so what do we do about AV if we still have him or is he the trade bait.
TheOUTLAW
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,757

Post#13 » by TheOUTLAW » Fri Nov 28, 2008 12:05 am

I don't think that there is any way that the Cavs can move Varejao
UncleDrew wrote: I get Buckets!
RevMan26
Pro Prospect

Post#14 » by RevMan26 » Fri Nov 28, 2008 12:27 am

TheOUTLAW wrote:I don't think that there is any way that the Cavs can move Varejao

Agreed. He is playing great ball. If we would get Jamison, I think him and Z would start, Varejao at the back up center and Wallace at the backup power forward.
Icness
NFL Analyst
And1: 129

Post#15 » by Icness » Fri Nov 28, 2008 1:11 am

What exactly leads anyone to believe we have a "missing piece"?

IMO this team is fully capable of winning any and every playoff series it gets into, and I expect them to do it. The key is sustaining consistent effort and good health.

Love the points on Wally, who IMO has played extremely well in the role carved out for him. He really understands the concepts of spacing and basketball geometry, and he isn't a great defender but he's an annoying defender with all his holding and chipping off the ball. I think he's learned well from Big Ben on that front.
It's not whether you win or lose, it's how good you look playing the game
kiwibrindle
Starter

Post#16 » by kiwibrindle » Fri Nov 28, 2008 1:58 am

Well maybe you don't remember but we had Price, Daughrety, Nance, Harper and a missing piece at small forward. We need a real number 4 defender / scorer. If Ben and Z were not both 4 million years old or JJ not a baby I'd feel better.
Cleveland Fan
Sophomore
And1: 1

Post#17 » by Cleveland Fan » Fri Nov 28, 2008 1:59 am

We need back-up center who plays defense. Would really help.
bcortell
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#18 » by bcortell » Fri Nov 28, 2008 2:48 am

Anyone's opinion change of what we need more a SG or a PF now that it looks like JJ could get more minutes and has played well.. I wouldn't mind seeing him get about 15 minutes a game right now.. and hopefully come closer to playoff time he is ready to get about 20? The last two games have been against pretty bad opponents but I'm glad he is giving effort on the defensive end, especially with the weak side help (damn he had some nice blocks last night).. but anyways.. if you do feel that he could be ready to get some decent PT later in the season, do we try for a better SG (Delonte has been playing pretty well also).. SG seems like it would be an easier role to fill than PF right now.. as more could be available for our price.. And finally, if you guys are satisfied with West and JJ, what do we need.. boobie hasn't been playing all that well.. Andy looks like he has been doing extremely better this season and should be re-signed (at a reasonable price).. Wally is doing alright and Sasha is garbage.. In general, I'm pretty happy with this team and wouldn't mind sitting on our hands unless an incredible deal came around. I think internal growth will really help us and if we don't make a deal, we let wally expire, save some money, and win a championship. :D
realfung
Assistant Coach
And1: 44

Post#19 » by realfung » Sat Nov 29, 2008 9:19 pm

You guys look good now.

But I gotta say NO to title contender and a shoe in for title.
Remember Dallas couple years ago, they were king in season but lost in first round.
Winning 60 is a little too tough, but I say 55+ for sure.
And don't get me wrong, I think Cleveland is an elite team. But I see it as a Jazz team in the East.
CHIMOCHI
Starter
And1: 2

Post#20 » by CHIMOCHI » Sat Nov 29, 2008 9:52 pm

realfung wrote:You guys look good now.

But I gotta say NO to title contender and a shoe in for title.
Remember Dallas couple years ago, they were king in season but lost in first round.
Winning 60 is a little too tough, but I say 55+ for sure.
And don't get me wrong, I think Cleveland is an elite team. But I see it as a Jazz team in the East.

Only if the Cavs play a team they can't beat in the regular season would they lose in the 1st round. If i remember correctly that 2006-2007 regular season dallas played GS 3 times, and lost all the games by an avg of 16 points. (just saying)
u mad?

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers