What if this happened?

Moderator: ijspeelman

Niko23
Lead Assistant
And1: 884

What if this happened? 

Post#1 » by Niko23 » Thu Nov 27, 2008 5:41 pm

From ESPN:

2. Why don't more people realize that the Cavs, already really good, will be even better three months from now?

Only 5-to-1 odds to win the title? Really? Even in this crummy economy, with ticket sales about to drop through the basement, the Cavs can't blow their LeBron Window for one reason: If they win a title, he might stay and save professional basketball in Cleveland. Money is no object. They don't care. And given that they have $20 million worth of expiring contracts (Wally Z. plus Eric Snow) as well as two favorable contracts (Andy Varejao and Sasha Pavlovic), that means the following guys are in play for them: Mike Miller and Michael Redd (the two biggies), along with Josh Howard, Shawn Marion, Gerald Wallace, Jason Richardson, Rasheed Wallace, Brad Miller, Raja Bell, Leandro Barbosa and Antawn Jamison.

For instance, let's say they traded Wally, J.J. Hickson and $3 million to Minnesota for Mike Miller, and $10 million worth of Brian Cardinal and Mark Madsen in 2010 ... then they dealt Pavlovic, Snow and a 2009 No. 1 pick to Washington for Jamison and Darius Songaila's mildly reprehensible contract. Two reasonable trades, right? Cleveland gets two blue-chippers; Minnesota and Washington save money, gain cap space and position themselves for 2009 (fan-tanking) and 2010 (the free-agent bonanza). Wouldn't the Cavs become the favorites if they landed Jamison AND Miller without giving up anyone in their top eight? I'd be more scared as a Celtics fan if Mike Brown wasn't in charge. The point is -- they will definitely add one more elite guy and possibly two. Which means that our top three (Boston, Cleveland, Los Angeles) could end up being more loaded than any top three since 1993 (Chicago, New York, Phoenix). This is a good thing.

(The highlight of the second trade for me: I called my buddy House, a diehard Wiz fan, and opened the conversation with, "Would you trade Jamison and Songaila for ...?" Before I could say the rest, he just started screaming, "YES! YES! YES! ABSOLUTELY! GIVE ME THE CAP SPACE!!! YES!!!!" Ladies and gentlemen, your 2009 Washington Wizards! OK, let's give the readers a couple of questions.)

This would be sick.
DowJones
RealGM
And1: 6,739

Re: What if this happened? 

Post#2 » by DowJones » Thu Nov 27, 2008 8:42 pm

I like the 2nd trade and hate the first trade.

JJ Hickson should not be moved unless we get an honest All-Star. Hickson has great upside and should not be moved.

Most will think I am crazy but I think West starting and Wally coming off the bench is just as good as having Miller starting and West coming off the bench. Wally has found his role on this team and he is playing very well. He has his confidence back. West is everything you want in a role-playing SG. He can hit an open 3, plays tough defense, works the ball well, and has no problem deferring to other players.

The 2nd deal would be great. I don't think we can move Snow though so we would probably have to ship Wally for Songalia and Jamison. I would do that deal because I think we could use a 2nd scoring big.
LeQuitterNotMVP
Analyst
And1: 0

Post#3 » by LeQuitterNotMVP » Thu Nov 27, 2008 9:47 pm

Well, that would be amazing. But as DowJones said, I doubt we'll trade Hickson. Maybe that Minny trade would happen like this:

Miller, Cardinal for Wally, 09 1st

and then Jamison and Songaila for Pavlovic, Snow, and maybe a future pick?

We would be the favorites for sure after those trades.
RevMan26
Pro Prospect

Post#4 » by RevMan26 » Fri Nov 28, 2008 12:25 am

PG:Mo Williams/Daniel Gibson
SG:Mike Miller/Delonte West
SF:LeBron James/Tarence Kinsey/Darnell Jackson
PF:Antawn Jamison/Ben Wallace/J.J. Hickson/Jawad Williams
FC:Zydrunas Illgauskas/Anderson Varejao/Lorenzen Wright

That just looks like a killer line-up, that is without trading Hickson. James (27.9ppg), Jamison (20.7ppg, 9.3rpg), Illgauskas (14.7ppg), Williams (15.9ppg) and Miller (11.6ppg) would be unstoppable. Then our second rotation, Varejao (8.0ppg, 6.4rpg), Gibson (8.3ppg), West (11.5ppg), Wallace (6.9rpg, 1.9bbg) & Kinsey (2.3ppg).

I would say yes if Hickson isn't involved. Szczerbiak is playing excellent as of late, but to get than line up would be worth it.
Cleveland Fan
Sophomore
And1: 1

Post#5 » by Cleveland Fan » Fri Nov 28, 2008 1:34 am

This Cavs team is really good. We are closer than we realize to winning it all. If they make the right moves it will be historic. I would not be in a hurry to get rid of expiring contracts just yet. Our chemistry is very good right now. What we need at this time is a Nate Thurman trade. ( for those who don't remember Nate was at the end of his career, great defense, back-up center)(Camby could be). Sasha, & draft picks to get what we need, might do it. We are big time player, maybe win all now, if not. Then in off-season 09 we get 1 big FA & win it all in 09. Then 2010 will be great also.
bcortell
Banned User

Post#6 » by bcortell » Fri Nov 28, 2008 2:56 am

^^ If we kept our current team, I believe we won't have the money to get a FA in 2009? I don't know why people keep saying this. Am i missing something? according to shamsports, and assuming Z takes his option, AV opts out, and we waive or whatever to Sasha's unguaranteed contract, we will still be at $62 million?
TheOUTLAW
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,757

Post#7 » by TheOUTLAW » Fri Nov 28, 2008 4:17 am

I don't see anyone keeping Sasha, he's been a huge disappointment since he was signed.
UncleDrew wrote: I get Buckets!
L&H_05
RealGM
And1: 94

Post#8 » by L&H_05 » Fri Nov 28, 2008 8:04 am

TheOUTLAW wrote:I don't see anyone keeping Sasha, he's been a huge disappointment since he was signed.

I'm going to piggyback off that quote and change it up a tad...

I don't see anyone keeping Sasha, he's been a huge disappointment since he was drafted..
bballboy44
Banned User

Post#9 » by bballboy44 » Fri Nov 28, 2008 4:11 pm

I don't even like either of those trades.

Trade 1: Why does everyone think that the Cavs want Mike Miller? Sure, he is a very good offensive player, but his defense is terrible. AND taking on Brians contract? AND trading JJ Hickson? I don't like that at all.

Trade 2: This one isn't that bad. However, I feel the Cavs can do much better than this for PF. The 32 year old Jamison has a big contract that extends past 2010, and Songaila's contract does, too. Also, Jamison doesn't play D, which doesn't roll with the Cavs. I do see Washington as a potential trading partner, but I'd rather have someone else on their team...

One player I would love to trade for is Emeka Okafor. Since Charlotte thinks of him as a disappointment, we may be able to trade expirings and a pick for him. He would be much better, IMO, playing next to another offensive threat like Z. Emeka is a great post player (which the Cavs don't have since Z is getting too slow to do his moves anymore, and JJ is still learning), and defensive player.

At the guard, I was thinking about a few SF's who can play the SG: Caron Butler, Josh Howard, and Gerald Wallace. All three are great defensive players, and rebounders for their height. I don't know how realistic any of this is, but if we could get anyone of those, and another PF (doesn't even need to be a great one. Let's say we sign Joe Smith if he is waived) than we would have a championship team.

My idea:

Cavs sign Joe Smith (it seems like he will be waived since OKC is going nowhere soon).

Cavs trade: Wally Szczerbiak, 2009 first.
Cavs receive: Josh Howard, Shawne Williams

(Salary wise, it works, but it would not be able to be completed until Either later December, or January because of Shawne Williams' trade restriction.)

Why for Cavs: Josh Howard is fast, great defender and rebounder for his size, and can score. He is our last missing piece.

Why for Mavs: The Mavericks appear to be going downhill. They are no better than an average team, and if by the deadline they aren't in a position to make the playoffs, I see Howard as the first to go. This trade gives them another huge expiring contract, to go with Kidd's, which could get them a great free agent.

Cavs line-up:

Mo Williams/Daniel Gibson/Delonte West
Josh Howard/Delonte West/Daniel Gibson
LeBron James/Josh Howard/Tarance Kinsey
Ben Wallace/Joe Smith/JJ Hickson/Darnell Jackson
Zydrunas Ilgauskas/Anderson Varejao/Joe Smith

Bench: Sasha Pavlovic, Jawad Williams, Shawne Williams

Thoughts?
bcortell
Banned User

Post#10 » by bcortell » Fri Nov 28, 2008 6:08 pm

Mavs could get a lot better offers for Josh Howard. And I'm not really sure why you assume a team is going to cut a good guy just because they aren't doing well.. so neither of you actions are realistic. I do agree that i'm not a fan of the trades, but Cha won't do an expiring and a pick for him. You may want to sit back and look at the trade board to gauge players' values but welcome.
GopherIt!
RealGM
And1: 24,149

Post#11 » by GopherIt! » Sat Nov 29, 2008 4:56 am

MN fan here.

Miller grew up in South Dakota as a Wolves fan. He actually likes to play here, despite being part of a rebuilding team (which is a big plus for us right now.) He's our 2nd best player and provides an outside shooting threat we need to take some of the pressure of Al Jefferson. Plus he's established himself as something of a team leader (the rest of our players can learn a lot from this guy.) He even hit the game winner tonight at Oklahoma.

Does that mean it would be impossible to acquire him? No, but it probably wouldn't be for a late 1st and a salary dump.

Also, I'm really sick of all the "NY 2010" talk on ESPN. They are ridiculous. If this isn't a case of East Coast bias I don't know what is.

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers