ImageImage

2018 Spring Training Thread: ST Games Start Today - 2/23

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25, humanrefutation

Gianstoppable
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,630

Re: 2018 Spring Training Thread: Pitchers and Catchers Report 2/15 

Post#41 » by Gianstoppable » Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:08 pm

DingleJerry wrote:I saw some tweet or something that Villar in the winter leagues had a 1-to-1 K to walk ratio. Spent the offseason watching videos on Joey Votto and completely focused on reducing Ks and increasing walks. We'll see if it translates but if that improves a noticeable amount for him then 2B might be just fine. If management likes what they see on it that could be what's holding up spending the money on Walker

Someone should make him watch beginning fundamentals 101 while they're at it
#FreeChuckDiesel
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 45,389

Post#42 » by MickeyDavis » Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:31 pm

PHOENIX – Of the few position battles set to be waged in Milwaukee Brewers camp this spring, second base is shaping up to be the most interesting with three familiar faces trying to win the job.

There’s Jonathan Villar, who’s trying to regain his 2016 magic after an abysmal 2017; Hernán Pérez, whose goal is to become an everyday player at a set position instead of once again serving as the team's super utility man; and Eric Sogard, the on-base machine who rebooted his career with the Brewers a year ago.

“Eric’s there, Jonny’s there, Hernán’s everywhere,” manager Craig Counsell said when asked to sum up the situation. “So we feel like we’ve got three players, and one of them steps forward and produces a lot. Or, they share it in a way that makes the position productive.

“I feel like we’ll find a player’s production and their production (as a unit) will be really effective, and be good. The candidates there, to me, are proven players in a lot of ways.”

A year ago at this time it appeared as though second base would be Villar’s position for the foreseeable future. And why not? He was coming off a 2016 – his first season with the Brewers – in which he hit .285 with 19 home runs and 63 runs batted in while stealing a major-league-leading 62 bases.

His performance was so impressive the Brewers offered the switch-hitting Villar a $23 million contract extension last spring that he turned down, instead betting on himself to repeat his performance and make even bigger money.

It turned out to be a terrible decision, as Villar regressed badly. He hit just .241 with 11 homers and 40 RBI in 122 games and committed 15 errors in 84 starts while watching both Sogard and later trade-deadline acquisition Neil Walker grab most of the playing time at second base.

The Brewers eventually tried Villar in center field – an experiment that didn't work – and he was a non-factor down the stretch, making just one start after Sept. 5 with the team in the midst of a playoff push. He avoided arbitration by agreeing to a one-year, $2.55 million contract on Jan. 12.

So, which is the real Villar? The 2016 version who was a force in the leadoff spot? The 2017 version who wasn't good enough to be an everyday player?

Or is the answer somewhere in between?

"How I look at it is he’s capable of (repeating) 2016," Counsell said of Villar, who will turn only 27 on May 2. "That’s why you give players like that chances – because he’s certainly capable of something (good).

"He produced a season that was really impactful in a spot at the top of the lineup. A baserunning threat, a power threat, on-base threat. Really, there’s not many of those guys.

"Where it ends up, I don’t know. But players that have produced that kind of season in the big leagues, that’s what you’re working to get back to."

Counsell said the focus now is on trying to fix what went wrong rather than rehashing the reasons for Villar's step back.

"I think speculating on what happened is almost like … we can come up with seven reasons, but do we know how to get him back to 2016? Do we have the perfect answer?" he said. "No, but we’ll have ideas that we’ll work on. There’s always several reasons, but I think it’s important that he understands – and I think he does – that he didn’t have a good year.

"And he’s got to have the confidence in the things that we teach and what he believes can get him back on track."
To that end, Counsell and first-base coach Carlos Subero encouraged Villar in the offseason to watch video of Cincinnati Reds all-star Joey Votto.

"I looked at a couple things with my swing," Villar said. "Counsell told me in 2016 I was hitting more (upright). Last year my body (was more hunched over) and the ball down, pitchers were throwing it there all the time. When I'm up, I see the ball.

"He sent me a couple videos. We watched Joey Votto's two-strike approach, shortening his bat, and when you put the ball in play you never know what's going to happen. Error, base hit – then you have more chances to steal a base."

Playing for Aguilas in the postseason in the Dominican winter league, Villar said he was pleased to be able to put some of his newfound skills to use.

"I feel better," he said. "I'll be ready."

Ready for a change this season is Pérez, who was one of Counsell's most indispensible and versatile players in 2017. He played in 136 games and started 98 at six different positions – 34 in left field, 17 at third base, 16 in right, 16 at second base, 10 in center and five at shortstop.

Like Villar, he avoided arbitration on Jan. 12 by agreeing to a one-year, $1.975 contract. And now he'll try to win his first everyday job, with his utility role likely waiting for him if he's unsuccessful.

"Really, my mind coming into camp is trying to be the everyday second baseman," said Pérez, who hit .259/14/51 with 13 stolen bases but got on base at just a .289 clip. "I know that spot is kind of open and I know it’s going to be Villar, Sogard and me fighting for that spot.

"That’s my mindset right now, playing for that spot and when it comes down, let’s see what happens and go from there."

Eric Sogard had a .273 batting average in 2017 with three homers and 18 RBI in 94 games. (Photo: Mike McGinnis, Getty Images)

Sogard was actually the first of the trio to re-up with the Brewers, signing a one-year, $2.4 million deal to return on Oct. 26.

A non-roster invitee last spring after missing all of 2016 while recovering from knee surgery, Sogard became a fan favorite after putting together a torrid six-week stretch that allowed him to supplant Villar as the starter at second base.

An ankle injury sidelined Sogard for 12 games in July and eventually the trade for Walker left Sogard to mostly bounce around from there. But his ability to get on base – his .393 mark would have led the team if he'd have accrued enough plate appearances – and string together quality at-bats in the leadoff spot were traits sorely needed in a homer-reliant offense.

Sogard finished the season with a .273 average, three homers and 18 RBI in 94 games (60 starts, including 37 at second base and 20 at shortstop).

By the numbers
3 Career-high number of homers for Sogard, two of which came in his first three games with the Brewers.

5 Players to start a game at second base in 2017 (Villar 84, Sogard 37, Walker 24, Pérez 16, Nick Franklin 1).

6 Offensive career highs posted by Pérez (games, 136; at-bats, 432; hits, 112; doubles, 19; homers, 14; walks, 20).

11 Number of position players to pitch in a game for the Brewers. Pérez did it on July 27 in Washington, allowing a hit and a walk in one inning.

.365 Villar's batting average over his last 29 games (three homers, seven RBI).
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM
And1: 4,171
Location: Hmmmm...how many 1sts would Jason Richardson cost...?

Post#43 » by Kerb Hohl » Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:53 pm

HighHeat (if he can be trusted anymore) seems to be suggesting the Brewers have signed Cobb or something is coming.
Gianstoppable
Assistant Coach

Post#44 » by Gianstoppable » Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:16 pm

Id much rather sign Cobb than Lynn or Arrieta. I think Cobb has a nice year and going forward his biggest issue is health obviously
#FreeChuckDiesel
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#45 » by MickeyDavis » Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:03 am

We never seem to do well with FA pitcher signings but I don't want to be trading any more prospects so if Cobb is signed so be it.
JimmyTheKid
General Manager
And1: 5,135

Post#46 » by JimmyTheKid » Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:20 pm

Kerb Hohl wrote:HighHeat (if he can be trusted anymore) seems to be suggesting the Brewers have signed Cobb or something is coming.

Whats his twitter handle?
Kerb Hohl
RealGM

Post#47 » by Kerb Hohl » Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:21 pm

JimmyTheKid wrote:
Kerb Hohl wrote:HighHeat (if he can be trusted anymore) seems to be suggesting the Brewers have signed Cobb or something is coming.

Whats his twitter handle?

@HighHeat9Teen
tski1972
Head Coach
And1: 3,598

Post#48 » by tski1972 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:17 pm

Read on Twitter

taking a flyer on a former 1st round pick.
http://twitter.com/MarkIsOld

"Because of Giannis, the once lousy Bucks are back in the NBA conversation." - 60 Minutes
Tfence92
Starter
And1: 435

Post#49 » by Tfence92 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:42 pm

tski1972 wrote:
Read on Twitter

taking a flyer on a former WWE United States Champion.

FIFY
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#50 » by MickeyDavis » Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:51 pm

Entering his 12th season with the Milwaukee Brewers, Ryan Braun is embarking on a spring training like no other during his career.

“I don’t expect it to be easy by any means. I expect it to be challenging,” Braun said.

After starting in left field for eight of the last 10 seasons, the 34-year-old veteran is going to discover how versatile he can be this spring. Specifically, he is going to see how he looks at first base.

Braun said he ordered new first-base mitts but would have to locate another essential piece of equipment.

“I don’t know if this is R-rated, but in the outfield, not too many guys wear a (protective) cup,” he said. ‘So, I haven’t worn a cup in over 10 years. I’ll have to get one of those before I get super comfortable taking ground balls again.”

Manager Craig Counsell said Tuesday he does not expect Braun to see time this season in right field, a position he played in 2014 and '15 to allow weak-armed slugger Khris Davis to play left (Davis then was traded to Oakland). Counsell also said he expected newcomer Christian Yelich, who won a Gold Glove in left field with Miami in 2016, to "primarily" play that position during the season.

Counsell said Yelich also would see action during exhibition season in right field, a position he has not played in the majors. The team's other big outfield acquisition, Lorenzo Cain, will be the No. 1 centerfielder, leaving incumbent rightfielder Domingo Santana to split playing time with Braun and Yelich in the corners.

"That's the plan right now," Counsell said. "That's something that could change pretty fast but that's the plan right now. ... Ryan will play some first; he'll play left field. Christian will play left field, center field and right field. But you'll see him most in left field. I can't give you number of games for all of this."

To help spread out playing time, the Brewers will see how many starts Braun can make at first base, presumably mostly against left-handed pitchers in place of lefty-hitting Eric Thames.

“I think there’s a lot of different possibilities that could play out,” Braun said. “I’m more comfortable in left. Growing up, I was always on the left side of the diamond. Obviously, the more I play right field, the more comfortable I’d be out there. The second year I played out there, I was more comfortable than the first.

“I’ll do whatever they want me to do. But, again, that comes with the caveat of being good enough defensively for it to make sense. They’re not going to just put me there because I’m a good hitter. I’d have to be good enough, wherever it is, for them to play there."

Braun has been one of the more productive leftfielders in the league over the last decade, but injuries plagued him to varying extents. His main issue in 2017 was a lingering calf strain that was a big factor in limiting his action to 105 games and curbing his production (17 HRs, 52 RBI, .824 OPS).

Braun has three years and $57 million remaining on his contract, but the combination of his pay, health issues and full veto rights makes a trade nearly impossible. So, it’s up to Counsell to figure out the best way to use him in coming years with the expectation that Cain and Yelich will be regulars in the outfield.

In recent years, Braun has seen little action in the early games of exhibition season, preferring to work into game shape slowly and save his swings for when it counts. But, as soon as he feels he’s ready at first base, he’ll need to test his skills in game competition.

“I haven’t talked too much with ‘Couns’ about the plan yet but as far as getting in a game at an infield position, I’d like to take some ground balls and get comfortable and familiar with the position, and cutoffs and relays and pick-offs and bunt plays and all the things that come into play before I play one of those new positions in a game,” Braun said.

“I feel good right now. First day of spring, everybody’s in the best shape of their life, feeling good and excited to get started. It will be a little different workload this spring than I’m used to, so we’ll play it by ear as we go.”

Counsell has given Braun scheduled days of rest in recent seasons to keep him fresh and at the top of his game, and perhaps those breaks will come more often with Yelich and Cain in the mix, assuming Santana isn’t traded before opening day. Braun turned 34 in November, and even the best of players tend to slow down at that age.

“The facts are the facts,” he said. “As you get into your 30s, it becomes more challenging to stay healthy, to stay on the field, and ultimately when you’re on the field to play close to 100%. As you get older, recovery is the biggest challenge.

“Over a 162-game schedule, you’re going to have a lot of day games after night games, and extra-inning games, and challenging travel arrangements. So, for every player, staying healthy is a challenge, but as you get older that challenge becomes greater and greater. We’ll see how the season plays out.”

Time will tell how this works out, and where Braun best fits in this new lineup puzzle. The fact remains that these are different times for both team and player.

“More than anything, it’s rejuvenating that we’re in a place where we expect to win now, and expect to contend,” Braun said. “The challenge of playing a new position is exciting and a challenge I look forward to.”

BY THE NUMBERS
104 Games played in 2017 by Ryan Braun, his fewest over a full season.
.905 OPS by Braun over 1,458 games in the major leagues.
3 Years remaining on Braun’s contract for $57 million.
.741 OPS by Brewers leftfielders in ’17, ranking 11th in the NL.
72 RBI by Brewers leftfielders last year, 12th in the NL.
Gianstoppable
Assistant Coach

Post#51 » by Gianstoppable » Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:11 am

Would be awesome if Braun could give us 130 games of good production and play a solid 1st base when spelling Thames/Aguilar. This team as of now is very deep especially at OF and 1st so if Braun misses time we won't likely have any issues at least.
#FreeChuckDiesel
sdn40
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,418

Post#52 » by sdn40 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:37 am

I'm still a little perplexed. They make it sound like Braun is 45 years old and getting ready to play QB. Work into game shape slowly ? He must be the oldest 34 year old on the planet. Aaron Rodgers is the same age and not on his deathbead. Don't want to use the word soft, but he always has something stopping him from standing still in left field for nine innings. Hope he doesn't spontaneously combust trying to play first base.
crkone
RealGM
And1: 9,330

Post#53 » by crkone » Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:38 pm

sdn40 wrote:I'm still a little perplexed. They make it sound like Braun is 45 years old and getting ready to play QB. Work into game shape slowly ? He must be the oldest 34 year old on the planet. Aaron Rodgers is the same age and not on his deathbead. Don't want to use the word soft, but he always has something stopping him from standing still in left field for nine innings. Hope he doesn't spontaneously combust trying to play first base.

I think the spring training thing is he just doesn't like to play in spring training games and has said so in the past.

Code: Select all

o- - -  \o          __|
   o/   /|          vv`\
  /|     |              |
   |    / \_            |
  / \   |               |
 /  |                   |
JimmyTheKid
General Manager
And1: 5,135

Post#54 » by JimmyTheKid » Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:50 pm

Gianstoppable wrote:Id much rather sign Cobb than Lynn or Arrieta. I think Cobb has a nice year and going forward his biggest issue is health obviously

Think thats where I'm at too. Wonder what kind of contract he's looking for.
M-C-G
RealGM
And1: 9,368

Post#55 » by M-C-G » Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:38 pm

JimmyTheKid wrote:
Gianstoppable wrote:Id much rather sign Cobb than Lynn or Arrieta. I think Cobb has a nice year and going forward his biggest issue is health obviously

Think thats where I'm at too. Wonder what kind of contract he's looking for.

Sources report: "a big one"

I'm fine with any and would actually overpay to get any of the guys maybe other than Lynn ( I think people have said he is a giant douche bag and I loved our team chemistry this last season) on a three year deal or so.
wichmae
RealGM
And1: 1,031

Post#56 » by wichmae » Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:08 pm

I hope we dont sign anyone at this point. It'll cost us another pick and more pool money. Losing two picks with Comp A FA's would suck.
M-C-G
RealGM
And1: 9,368

Post#57 » by M-C-G » Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:14 pm

wichmae wrote:I hope we dont sign anyone at this point. It'll cost us another pick and more pool money. Losing two picks with Comp A FA's would suck.

If we sign the guy to under 50M doesn't that take that off the table? If so, I'd overpay Cobb or Arrieta on a two year deal somewhat significantly to stay under that mark and keep our pick.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM

Post#58 » by Kerb Hohl » Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:26 pm

M-C-G wrote:
wichmae wrote:I hope we dont sign anyone at this point. It'll cost us another pick and more pool money. Losing two picks with Comp A FA's would suck.

If we sign the guy to under 50M doesn't that take that off the table? If so, I'd overpay Cobb or Arrieta on a two year deal somewhat significantly to stay under that mark and keep our pick.

Even with the market being weird, I doubt either of those guys settle for 2 years. It's either 1 or 4/5 for them. Or maybe a 5 year that is frontloaded with an opt-out after 2.
Outlander
Junior
And1: 68

Post#59 » by Outlander » Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:36 pm

M-C-G wrote:

No, the team losing the player will be impacted but if say a 1 year $25 million deal is signed then the acquiring team still loses the pick.
crkone
RealGM
And1: 9,330

Post#60 » by crkone » Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:12 pm

Read on Twitter

Code: Select all

o- - -  \o          __|
   o/   /|          vv`\
  /|     |              |
   |    / \_            |
  / \   |               |