ImageImage

2018 Spring Training Thread: ST Games Start Today - 2/23

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25, humanrefutation

Kerb Hohl
RealGM
And1: 4,172
Location: Hmmmm...how many 1sts would Jason Richardson cost...?

Re: 2018 Spring Training Thread: Pitchers and Catchers Report 2/15 

Post#81 » by Kerb Hohl » Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:16 pm

mlloyd10 wrote:For Cobb - Offer 3/45 - with opt out after yr 1 and TO after yr 2

I could be reading the market incorrectly, but I think he comes in for more than that.

I'd be ecstatic with that if the big dogs being out of the bidding lowered his price to that, even if he could end up pitching 1 good year and leaving.

I've gotta think that since Cobb is more of a consistency, mid-rotation type guy, that he's not extremely devoted to trying to pitch 1 good year and getting another huge contract. He's a guy looking to cash in now on a long contract. Maybe that isn't there, but I think someone still will offer it - Twins, Phillies, etc.
Wisky4life
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,072

Post#82 » by Wisky4life » Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:06 pm

Kerb Hohl wrote:
Wisky4life wrote:Sign a pitcher to a modest 3 yr 30-45 mil. Move on to the regular season.

Who would sign that, though?

Almost anyone that wants to play baseball this year. 15 mil a year for 3 years is pretty good for an alright pitcher. It isn't getting you Arrieta but could get you Cobb.

I know now a days a legit starter is pushing 20 mil+
“We’re going to turn this team around 360 degrees.” –Jason Kidd
Kerb Hohl
RealGM

Post#83 » by Kerb Hohl » Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:07 pm

Wisky4life wrote:
Kerb Hohl wrote:
Wisky4life wrote:Sign a pitcher to a modest 3 yr 30-45 mil. Move on to the regular season.

Almost anyone that wants to play baseball this year. 15 mil a year for 3 years is pretty good for an alright pitcher. It isn't getting you Arrieta but could get you Cobb.

I don't think that'll get you Cobb. Several markets being out of the bidding has made some guys wait a while, but there will still be enough bidding to get them to 4 years and possibly more money down the line.
Wisky4life
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,072

Post#84 » by Wisky4life » Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:11 pm

Kerb Hohl wrote:
Wisky4life wrote:
Kerb Hohl wrote:

I don't think that'll get you Cobb. Several markets being out of the bidding has made some guys wait a while, but there will still be enough bidding to get them to 4 years and possibly more money down the line.

Well would you pay 4 years $80-$100 mil for Cobb? I think I'd rather wait. Reminds me of a Marcum, Wolf, Suppan, Garza type of thing.
“We’re going to turn this team around 360 degrees.” –Jason Kidd
Kerb Hohl
RealGM

Post#85 » by Kerb Hohl » Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:16 pm

Wisky4life wrote:
Kerb Hohl wrote:
Wisky4life wrote:

Well would you pay 4 years $80-$100 mil for Cobb? I think I'd rather wait. Reminds me of a Marcum, Wolf, Suppan, Garza type of thing.

I think it would be much closer to $80 million, but I may.

We're not going to get a better pitcher most likely. That's how we get bent over by the agent, but from my standpoint, it doesn't matter much. I don't think the extra $5 million/year is going to buy us much and I think the fact that Mark would agree to sign it means there is slightly more in the coffers.

I didn't really like the Marcum trade. Wolf and Garza were fine for a while. Suppan I didn't like, but he still pitched better for 2 or 3 years than anyone in the garbage Brewers system.

The Brewers do have better pitchers in their system now than they did back in a lot of those days where they made those signings, but I also think they have one more bullet to fire in adding to the roster and I wouldn't mind if it's done now rather than later. If they want 2 years to do this, the contract can linger further.
Gianstoppable
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,630

Post#86 » by Gianstoppable » Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:51 pm

ArodpwnsFavre wrote:High heat is a moron. posting polls on twitter to determine what people think of him. what an attention whore.

Well he deleted his account on Twitter and said that the Brewers are aware of his Twitter account and he wanted to save his Source from being outed or something like that. I don't know sounds like some BS he made up or he's just stupid enough that he thought he wouldn't gain attention by saying things like he had breaking news which turned into nothing.
#FreeChuckDiesel
Gianstoppable
Assistant Coach

Post#87 » by Gianstoppable » Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:59 pm

Wisky4life wrote:
Kerb Hohl wrote:
Wisky4life wrote:

Cobb has way more talent than those guys and he's younger than when those guys signed with us. I don't understand why everybody who doesn't want us to sign a free-agent pitcher automatically says they're going to be the next Jeff suppan or the next Matt Garza it's really a lazy statement if you ask me. Is Cobb perfect? No far from it. Does he have potential to be a top-of-the-rotation arm? Yes and that's what you're paying for. Even if he doesn't have his stuff he's still a solid pitcher
#FreeChuckDiesel
Kerb Hohl
RealGM

Post#88 » by Kerb Hohl » Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:04 pm

I thought Garza was a good contract at the time. What did Garza really prevent us from doing other than maybe taking a risk or two during a rebuilding time? Maybe ownership could've paid a bit more forward, but you take risks on older players as a later piece of your roster knowing that you may pay down the road.

If this current group isn't that good, you at least can try the Burnes, Hader, Hiura generation out and Cobb/Braun/Cain will barely eat into that timeframe. If the whole system is overrated/bad or the Cubs are just that good and you have to blow it up, you'll be sitting on one dead year of Cobb or something like that a la Garza this past year during a rebuild.
trwi7
RealGM
And1: 26,396

Post#89 » by trwi7 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:54 pm

Players just aren't going to take a low AAV and a mid term contract. If you want a pitcher you're either going to need to offer years and security at less AAV or a one year deal at a higher AAV so they can try again in a year.

No way would I sign a 3/30-45 deal if I was a player.
stellation wrote:What's the difference between Gery Woelful and this glass of mineral water? The mineral water actually has a source."

I Hate Manure wrote:We look to be awful next season without Beasley.
Tfence92
Starter
And1: 435

Post#90 » by Tfence92 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:32 pm

trwi7 wrote:Players just aren't going to take a low AAV and a mid term contract. If you want a pitcher you're either going to need to offer years and security at less AAV or a one year deal at a higher AAV so they can try again in a year.

No way would I sign a 3/30-45 deal if I was a player.

I think they would consider it if it was all player options, but not sure a team would like to be in that situation; almost like a lose-lose.
LUKE23
RealGM
And1: 6,241

Post#91 » by LUKE23 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:16 pm

I'd be fine with a Cobb signing, he's starting the contract at 30 as opposed to 32 for someone like Arietta, so that makes a difference, and the second year after TJ is usually when pitchers really come back. I'd prefer using money over prospects to land that last pitcher. Once Nelson gets back, Cobb/Nelson/Anderson/Davies/Woodruff with Chacin for depth is pretty damn solid.

If you keep Santana and platoon Braun/Thames at 1B, that's our best offense in a while, IMO. Cain/Yelich/Braun/Shaw/Santana is a pretty nasty top 5.
Turk Nowitzki
RealGM
And1: 9,929

Post#92 » by Turk Nowitzki » Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:46 pm

How long does it take for these pitchers to get stretched out for the regular season? A couple weeks? Longer than that? We've got to at least be getting in range of Arrieta and Cobb being at risk of not being ready to go at the start of the season if this goes on into March.
Gianstoppable
Assistant Coach

Post#93 » by Gianstoppable » Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:48 pm

LUKE23 wrote:I'd be fine with a Cobb signing, he's starting the contract at 30 as opposed to 32 for someone like Arietta, so that makes a difference, and the second year after TJ is usually when pitchers really come back. I'd prefer using money over prospects to land that last pitcher. Once Nelson gets back, Cobb/Nelson/Anderson/Davies/Woodruff with Chacin for depth is pretty damn solid.

If you keep Santana and platoon Braun/Thames at 1B, that's our best offense in a while, IMO. Cain/Yelich/Braun/Shaw/Santana is a pretty nasty top 5.

Also if you need another arm at the deadline we still have plenty of MLB talent and prospects to get a deal done.
#FreeChuckDiesel
Gianstoppable
Assistant Coach

Post#94 » by Gianstoppable » Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:50 pm

Turk Nowitzki wrote:How long does it take for these pitchers to get stretched out for the regular season? A couple weeks? Longer than that? We've got to at least be getting in range of Arrieta and Cobb being at risk of not being ready to go at the start of the season if this goes on into March.

Typically 3 weeks or so, which is about 3-4 starts. If it goes into March then I'd assume their price has to drop a bit. There's so much young talent in baseball these vets are going to have to take some lesser deals, especially with the luxury tax for top teams
#FreeChuckDiesel
Gianstoppable
Assistant Coach

Post#95 » by Gianstoppable » Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:52 pm

LUKE23 wrote:I'd be fine with a Cobb signing, he's starting the contract at 30 as opposed to 32 for someone like Arietta, so that makes a difference, and the second year after TJ is usually when pitchers really come back. I'd prefer using money over prospects to land that last pitcher. Once Nelson gets back, Cobb/Nelson/Anderson/Davies/Woodruff with Chacin for depth is pretty damn solid.

Imagine if Villar could bounce back too
#FreeChuckDiesel
Tfence92
Starter
And1: 435

Post#96 » by Tfence92 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:30 pm

Games today: 2
Game threads: 0

WTF guys? Look alive!
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 45,455

Post#97 » by MickeyDavis » Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:20 pm

Forgot about actual games today, we can discuss here. FSN for the Cubs at 2:00 , we also play SF.
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,059

Post#98 » by ReasonablySober » Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:06 pm

I took today off for other reasons but being able to be at home watching this rules.
Turk Nowitzki
RealGM
And1: 9,929

Post#99 » by Turk Nowitzki » Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:21 pm

Just no stupid injuries in these ST games please.
Gianstoppable
Assistant Coach

Post#100 » by Gianstoppable » Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:24 pm

Pretty surprised the games on FS Wisconsin but it's not on WTMJ they're talking about the Olympics who cares at this point it's baseball season. Anyone know where I can listen to the game at work? Either game doesn't matter
#FreeChuckDiesel

Return to Milwaukee Brewers