ImageImage

ATL: Offseason - Ron Roenicke is BACK!

Moderators: paulpressey25, MickeyDavis, humanrefutation

User avatar
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
Posts: 26,351
And1: 9,045
Joined: Jun 05, 2006
       

Re: ATL: Offseason - Ron Roenicke is BACK! 

Post#421 » by humanrefutation » Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:48 pm

MickeyDavis wrote:Welcome to 4 days ago :wink:

humanrefutation wrote:Look who is back in the big chair! Ron Roenicke was named interim manager of the Red Sox.

MickeyDavis wrote:Ron Roenicke will be the Red Sox manager


They only announced it today, and he is only the "INTERIM," Mickey! :lol:
User avatar
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
Posts: 65,168
And1: 18,012
Joined: May 02, 2002
Location: The Craps Table
     

Re: ATL: Offseason - Ron Roenicke is BACK! 

Post#422 » by MickeyDavis » Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:51 pm

All managers are interim. :)
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
User avatar
MikeIsGood
RealGM
Posts: 26,705
And1: 3,540
Joined: Jul 10, 2003
Location: Vamos Rafa
     

Re: ATL: Offseason - Ron Roenicke is BACK! 

Post#423 » by MikeIsGood » Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:28 pm

MickeyDavis wrote:All managers are interim. :)


Humanity is interim.
User avatar
BUCKnation
RealGM
Posts: 14,454
And1: 1,341
Joined: Jun 15, 2011
       

Re: ATL: Offseason - Ron Roenicke is BACK! 

Post#424 » by BUCKnation » Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:36 pm

I'd be cool with 7 getting in, the rest is pretty gross tho.
User avatar
Siefer
General Manager
Posts: 9,862
And1: 2,199
Joined: Nov 05, 2006
Location: Madison, WI
     

Re: ATL: Offseason - Ron Roenicke is BACK! 

Post#425 » by Siefer » Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:53 pm

Really dislike the proposed changes. Lots of convolution, and added variance. Give me 6 teams per league, top 2 byes, and standard 5 game WC, 7 game DS, 7 game CS. Increases the value of the regular season, expands the post-season, and punts the god awful WC play-in game back into the pit it crawled out of.
User avatar
Kerb Hohl
RealGM
Posts: 28,053
And1: 1,683
Joined: Jun 17, 2005
Location: Hmmmm...how many 1sts would Jason Richardson cost...?

Re: ATL: Offseason - Ron Roenicke is BACK! 

Post#426 » by Kerb Hohl » Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:27 pm

Siefer wrote:Really dislike the proposed changes. Lots of convolution, and added variance. Give me 6 teams per league, top 2 byes, and standard 5 game WC, 7 game DS, 7 game CS. Increases the value of the regular season, expands the post-season, and punts the god awful WC play-in game back into the pit it crawled out of.


I'm with you on 6 teams, but I will say this:

The MLB apparently believes (and numbers show) that elimination games are huge. Nobody watches non-elimination games. Hence their previous 1-game WC and newly proposed 3-game series to heighten drama.

I think 6 is a good tradeoff but I think you still maybe go with 3 games in those initial series.
User avatar
ReasonablySober
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
Posts: 75,652
And1: 15,786
Joined: Dec 02, 2001
Location: Cheap dinner. Watch basketball. Bone down.
Contact:
       

Re: ATL: Offseason - Ron Roenicke is BACK! 

Post#427 » by ReasonablySober » Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:30 pm

The three game series in one city is maybe the change that bothers me the most.
Magic Giannison wrote:TRADE GIANNIS

User avatar
crkone
RealGM
Posts: 23,791
And1: 5,225
Joined: Aug 16, 2006

Re: ATL: Offseason - Ron Roenicke is BACK! 

Post#428 » by crkone » Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:23 am

Read on Twitter

Code: Select all

          o- - -  \o          __|
             o/   /|          vv`\
            /|     |              |
             |    / \_            |
            / \   |               |
           /  |                   |
User avatar
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
Posts: 26,351
And1: 9,045
Joined: Jun 05, 2006
       

Re: ATL: Offseason - Ron Roenicke is BACK! 

Post#429 » by humanrefutation » Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:32 pm

Jim Crane is a **** idiot. That press conference yesterday was embarrassing for him. Manfred should have banned him from the team for a year ala Steinbrenner back in the day.

It's amazing how difficult it is for some people to just admit that they're wrong and take responsibility for their actions.
MAC1987
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,932
And1: 495
Joined: Jan 27, 2018

Re: ATL: Offseason - Ron Roenicke is BACK! 

Post#430 » by MAC1987 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:29 pm

humanrefutation wrote:Jim Crane is a **** idiot. That press conference yesterday was embarrassing for him. Manfred should have banned him from the team for a year ala Steinbrenner back in the day.

It's amazing how difficult it is for some people to just admit that they're wrong and take responsibility for their actions.
I didnt see it. However Manfred made it clear to all other teams to not say anything public about this scandal. And here we are Jim Crane saying they didnt think it mattered.
I think that is worse than another team speaking up.

Sent from my SM-G935V using RealGM mobile app
"Must win"
User avatar
Kerb Hohl
RealGM
Posts: 28,053
And1: 1,683
Joined: Jun 17, 2005
Location: Hmmmm...how many 1sts would Jason Richardson cost...?

Re: ATL: Offseason - Ron Roenicke is BACK! 

Post#431 » by Kerb Hohl » Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:31 pm

Crane fumbled the delivery but I have two questions:

1. What, if anything would appease fans/writers? It feels to me like if the Astros got overly specific and deeply, deeply apologized, that there would be an insane uproar that they have not cut/disciplined the players, they still have the trophy, etc. and that they were insincere because they did not bring any action with their apologies. "OMG! They admitted and apologized for everything about their cheating and here we are with the team moving on with their trophy as if nothing happened!"

2. Coming off of that, it is almost impossible to have a sincere apology when you cannot go into specifics. And while it may be a "sad state of the current world" they would have been extremely stupid to say, "sorry about that buzzer I had on my upper chest" both for their own franchise, their own careers, and for the league as a whole. Not only would it draw extreme ire and potentially lawsuits, but I think the league hopes this is just swept under the rug because there were probably 10+ other teams doing similar things.
User avatar
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
Posts: 65,168
And1: 18,012
Joined: May 02, 2002
Location: The Craps Table
     

Re: ATL: Offseason - Ron Roenicke is BACK! 

Post#432 » by MickeyDavis » Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:15 pm

Tired of hearing "we're sorry about what happened" instead of "we're sorry that we cheated".
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
User avatar
crkone
RealGM
Posts: 23,791
And1: 5,225
Joined: Aug 16, 2006

Re: ATL: Offseason - Ron Roenicke is BACK! 

Post#433 » by crkone » Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:28 pm

MickeyDavis wrote:Tired of hearing "we're sorry about what happened" instead of "we're sorry that we cheated".


It's the same with "I'm sorry this is upsetting you."

Code: Select all

          o- - -  \o          __|
             o/   /|          vv`\
            /|     |              |
             |    / \_            |
            / \   |               |
           /  |                   |
MAC1987
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,932
And1: 495
Joined: Jan 27, 2018

Re: ATL: Offseason - Ron Roenicke is BACK! 

Post#434 » by MAC1987 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 6:29 pm

Kerb Hohl wrote:Crane fumbled the delivery but I have two questions:

1. What, if anything would appease fans/writers? It feels to me like if the Astros got overly specific and deeply, deeply apologized, that there would be an insane uproar that they have not cut/disciplined the players, they still have the trophy, etc. and that they were insincere because they did not bring any action with their apologies. "OMG! They admitted and apologized for everything about their cheating and here we are with the team moving on with their trophy as if nothing happened!"

2. Coming off of that, it is almost impossible to have a sincere apology when you cannot go into specifics. And while it may be a "sad state of the current world" they would have been extremely stupid to say, "sorry about that buzzer I had on my upper chest" both for their own franchise, their own careers, and for the league as a whole. Not only would it draw extreme ire and potentially lawsuits, but I think the league hopes this is just swept under the rug because there were probably 10+ other teams doing similar things.


I'm ok with apologies and not going into specifics.

However,

Reporters asked Crane specifically about whether the sign-stealing scheme affected their playoff games with the Yankees. The Astros defeated the Yankees in the American League Championship Series in 2017 and 2019.
"Listen, the Yankees had had a few comments out there. Our opinion is, that this didn't impact the game," Crane said. "We had a good team. We won the World Series, and we'll leave it at that."

Does anyone actually believe this didn't impact the game? I.E. Knowing what type of pitch is coming?

He brought the story right back to himself and the Astros by making that comment. And he deserves backlash for his comments.
"Must win"
User avatar
IrishRainbow
Starter
Posts: 2,451
And1: 667
Joined: Oct 24, 2006
Location: @ the drawing table
     

Re: ATL: Offseason - Ron Roenicke is BACK! 

Post#435 » by IrishRainbow » Fri Feb 14, 2020 6:36 pm

crkone wrote:
MickeyDavis wrote:Tired of hearing "we're sorry about what happened" instead of "we're sorry that we cheated".


It's the same with "I'm sorry this is upsetting you."
I'm sorry we got caught and now have to deal with this.

Sent from my SM-G965U using RealGM mobile app
User avatar
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
Posts: 65,168
And1: 18,012
Joined: May 02, 2002
Location: The Craps Table
     

Re: ATL: Offseason - Ron Roenicke is BACK! 

Post#436 » by MickeyDavis » Fri Feb 14, 2020 6:41 pm

Bellinger lays into them

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/28701586/nl-mvp-cody-bellinger-says-astros-jose-altuve-stole-2017-al-mvp-aaron-judge

It's ironic how "outraged" the Astros are about the buzzer accusations. Calling it "ridiculous" and "stupid". Banging on a trash can is also ridiculous and stupid and that's exactly what they did.
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
User avatar
blazza18
RealGM
Posts: 41,862
And1: 16,690
Joined: Dec 02, 2010
       

Re: ATL: Offseason - Ron Roenicke is BACK! 

Post#437 » by blazza18 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:44 pm

Fun thread. Bauer went all in today.

Read on Twitter
trwi7 wrote:Ban yourself you asshole.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
Posts: 13,434
And1: 9,004
Joined: Feb 07, 2010

Re: ATL: Offseason - Ron Roenicke is BACK! 

Post#438 » by WeekapaugGroove » Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:05 pm

It's just amazing to me how little the MLB seems to have learned from the steroid thing, lots of similar mistakes made this time around.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using RealGM mobile app
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
DrWood
Analyst
Posts: 3,055
And1: 987
Joined: Jul 08, 2014
     

Re: ATL: Offseason - Ron Roenicke is BACK! 

Post#439 » by DrWood » Sat Feb 15, 2020 1:18 am

Siefer wrote:Really dislike the proposed changes. Lots of convolution, and added variance. Give me 6 teams per league, top 2 byes, and standard 5 game WC, 7 game DS, 7 game CS. Increases the value of the regular season, expands the post-season, and punts the god awful WC play-in game back into the pit it crawled out of.

the problem is that 7 days off after the season wouldn't be great.

Return to Milwaukee Brewers