ImageImage

ATL: Playoffs

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25, humanrefutation

humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 14,015

Re: ATL: Offseason - Ron Roenicke is BACK! 

Post#421 » by humanrefutation » Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:48 pm

MickeyDavis wrote:Welcome to 4 days ago :wink:

humanrefutation wrote:Look who is back in the big chair! Ron Roenicke was named interim manager of the Red Sox.

MickeyDavis wrote:Ron Roenicke will be the Red Sox manager

They only announced it today, and he is only the "INTERIM," Mickey! :lol:
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 45,389

Post#422 » by MickeyDavis » Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:51 pm

All managers are interim. :)
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
MikeIsGood
RealGM
And1: 9,669

Post#423 » by MikeIsGood » Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:28 pm

MickeyDavis wrote:All managers are interim. :)

Humanity is interim.
BUCKnation
RealGM
And1: 2,954

Post#424 » by BUCKnation » Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:36 pm

I'd be cool with 7 getting in, the rest is pretty gross tho.
Siefer
RealGM
And1: 6,044

Post#425 » by Siefer » Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:53 pm

Really dislike the proposed changes. Lots of convolution, and added variance. Give me 6 teams per league, top 2 byes, and standard 5 game WC, 7 game DS, 7 game CS. Increases the value of the regular season, expands the post-season, and punts the god awful WC play-in game back into the pit it crawled out of.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM
And1: 4,171
Location: Hmmmm...how many 1sts would Jason Richardson cost...?

Post#426 » by Kerb Hohl » Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:27 pm

Siefer wrote:Really dislike the proposed changes. Lots of convolution, and added variance. Give me 6 teams per league, top 2 byes, and standard 5 game WC, 7 game DS, 7 game CS. Increases the value of the regular season, expands the post-season, and punts the god awful WC play-in game back into the pit it crawled out of.

I'm with you on 6 teams, but I will say this:

The MLB apparently believes (and numbers show) that elimination games are huge. Nobody watches non-elimination games. Hence their previous 1-game WC and newly proposed 3-game series to heighten drama.

I think 6 is a good tradeoff but I think you still maybe go with 3 games in those initial series.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,017

Post#427 » by ReasonablySober » Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:30 pm

The three game series in one city is maybe the change that bothers me the most.
crkone
RealGM
And1: 9,330

Post#428 » by crkone » Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:23 am

Read on Twitter

Code: Select all

o- - -  \o          __|
   o/   /|          vv`\
  /|     |              |
   |    / \_            |
  / \   |               |
 /  |                   |
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 14,015

Post#429 » by humanrefutation » Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:32 pm

Jim Crane is a **** idiot. That press conference yesterday was embarrassing for him. Manfred should have banned him from the team for a year ala Steinbrenner back in the day.

It's amazing how difficult it is for some people to just admit that they're wrong and take responsibility for their actions.
MAC1987
Starter
And1: 526

Post#430 » by MAC1987 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:29 pm

humanrefutation wrote:Jim Crane is a **** idiot. That press conference yesterday was embarrassing for him. Manfred should have banned him from the team for a year ala Steinbrenner back in the day.

It's amazing how difficult it is for some people to just admit that they're wrong and take responsibility for their actions.
I didnt see it. However Manfred made it clear to all other teams to not say anything public about this scandal. And here we are Jim Crane saying they didnt think it mattered.
I think that is worse than another team speaking up.

Sent from my SM-G935V using RealGM mobile app
Kerb Hohl
RealGM
And1: 4,171
Location: Hmmmm...how many 1sts would Jason Richardson cost...?

Post#431 » by Kerb Hohl » Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:31 pm

Crane fumbled the delivery but I have two questions:

1. What, if anything would appease fans/writers? It feels to me like if the Astros got overly specific and deeply, deeply apologized, that there would be an insane uproar that they have not cut/disciplined the players, they still have the trophy, etc. and that they were insincere because they did not bring any action with their apologies. "OMG! They admitted and apologized for everything about their cheating and here we are with the team moving on with their trophy as if nothing happened!"

2. Coming off of that, it is almost impossible to have a sincere apology when you cannot go into specifics. And while it may be a "sad state of the current world" they would have been extremely stupid to say, "sorry about that buzzer I had on my upper chest" both for their own franchise, their own careers, and for the league as a whole. Not only would it draw extreme ire and potentially lawsuits, but I think the league hopes this is just swept under the rug because there were probably 10+ other teams doing similar things.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#432 » by MickeyDavis » Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:15 pm

Tired of hearing "we're sorry about what happened" instead of "we're sorry that we cheated".
crkone
RealGM
And1: 9,330

Post#433 » by crkone » Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:28 pm

MickeyDavis wrote:Tired of hearing "we're sorry about what happened" instead of "we're sorry that we cheated".

It's the same with "I'm sorry this is upsetting you."

Code: Select all

o- - -  \o          __|
   o/   /|          vv`\
  /|     |              |
   |    / \_            |
  / \   |               |
 /  |                   |
MAC1987
Starter
And1: 526

Post#434 » by MAC1987 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 6:29 pm

Kerb Hohl wrote:Crane fumbled the delivery but I have two questions:

1. What, if anything would appease fans/writers? It feels to me like if the Astros got overly specific and deeply, deeply apologized, that there would be an insane uproar that they have not cut/disciplined the players, they still have the trophy, etc. and that they were insincere because they did not bring any action with their apologies. "OMG! They admitted and apologized for everything about their cheating and here we are with the team moving on with their trophy as if nothing happened!"

2. Coming off of that, it is almost impossible to have a sincere apology when you cannot go into specifics. And while it may be a "sad state of the current world" they would have been extremely stupid to say, "sorry about that buzzer I had on my upper chest" both for their own franchise, their own careers, and for the league as a whole. Not only would it draw extreme ire and potentially lawsuits, but I think the league hopes this is just swept under the rug because there were probably 10+ other teams doing similar things.

I'm ok with apologies and not going into specifics.

However,

Reporters asked Crane specifically about whether the sign-stealing scheme affected their playoff games with the Yankees. The Astros defeated the Yankees in the American League Championship Series in 2017 and 2019.
"Listen, the Yankees had had a few comments out there. Our opinion is, that this didn't impact the game," Crane said. "We had a good team. We won the World Series, and we'll leave it at that."

Does anyone actually believe this didn't impact the game? I.E. Knowing what type of pitch is coming?

He brought the story right back to himself and the Astros by making that comment. And he deserves backlash for his comments.
IrishRainbow
Veteran
And1: 900

Post#435 » by IrishRainbow » Fri Feb 14, 2020 6:36 pm

crkone wrote:
MickeyDavis wrote:Tired of hearing "we're sorry about what happened" instead of "we're sorry that we cheated".

It's the same with "I'm sorry this is upsetting you."
I'm sorry we got caught and now have to deal with this.

Sent from my SM-G965U using RealGM mobile app
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#436 » by MickeyDavis » Fri Feb 14, 2020 6:41 pm

Bellinger lays into them

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/28701586/nl-mvp-cody-bellinger-says-astros-jose-altuve-stole-2017-al-mvp-aaron-judge

It's ironic how "outraged" the Astros are about the buzzer accusations. Calling it "ridiculous" and "stupid". Banging on a trash can is also ridiculous and stupid and that's exactly what they did.
blazza18
RealGM
And1: 26,623

Post#437 » by blazza18 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:44 pm

Fun thread. Bauer went all in today.

Read on Twitter
Baddy Chuck wrote:I want to win but I also love chaos.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,664

Post#438 » by WeekapaugGroove » Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:05 pm

It's just amazing to me how little the MLB seems to have learned from the steroid thing, lots of similar mistakes made this time around.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using RealGM mobile app
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
DrWood
Head Coach
And1: 2,383

Post#439 » by DrWood » Sat Feb 15, 2020 1:18 am

Siefer wrote:Really dislike the proposed changes. Lots of convolution, and added variance. Give me 6 teams per league, top 2 byes, and standard 5 game WC, 7 game DS, 7 game CS. Increases the value of the regular season, expands the post-season, and punts the god awful WC play-in game back into the pit it crawled out of.

the problem is that 7 days off after the season wouldn't be great.
PintSizedBox10
Head Coach
And1: 3,228

Post#440 » by PintSizedBox10 » Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:29 am

I'm with most of the players. The Astros should be stripped of their WS win, and the players themselves should be facing steep punishment on top of that.

This reminds me of Spygate where the league clearly wanted to sweep the issue under the rug as quickly as possible and then act as if it never happened.

Return to Milwaukee Brewers