ImageImage

2017 Trade Rumors Thread

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25, humanrefutation

raysbookclub
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,191

Re: 2017 Trade Rumors Thread 

Post#121 » by raysbookclub » Mon Jul 3, 2017 5:45 pm

sdn40 wrote:Fans and the media get caught up in the Buyers vs Sellers every year. It's like you have to declare which you are and there is no in between. Either you are Sellers and expected to clean house or you are Buyers and expected to gut your farm system. It's almost become this unwritten rule or something, probably all stemming from a catchy article written by a sports writer during the All-Star break a decade ago. So now we have this dramatic all or nothing perception.

Such crap.

As crazy and radical as it sounds, we could add a mid level guy or two and roll the dice, both rewarding this roster (and the fans) for their play and not gut the farm system in the process. Its not rocket science. If Stearns is smart enough to pick the right guys to bring in off the scrap heap that can contribute, I'm sure he is more than capable of orchestrating a mid level trade or two. It doesn't carry the same drama as Buyers vs Sellers, but it can still be effective.

So be small buyers? Anyway, this isn't rocket science like you said, so if you just humor the seller-buyer paradigm for a bit, I guess the argument for being small buyers (mid level acquisitions) rather than big buyers (trades for Quintana and the like) is that we're in a 3-5 year project, so we won't want to risk weakening that long term project. That's fine. But an argument for being bigger buyers is that there aren't guarantees for any year--no guarantee that we'll be in the playoff hunt in 2 years even if keep all our prospects--so let's be willing to buy big in a year that we're already in the hunt.
Iheartfootball
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,276

2017 Trade Rumors Thread 

Post#122 » by Iheartfootball » Mon Jul 3, 2017 7:33 pm

Spoiler:
quote="books"]
sdn40 wrote:Fans and the media get caught up in the Buyers vs Sellers every year. It's like you have to declare which you are and there is no in between. Either you are Sellers and expected to clean house or you are Buyers and expected to gut your farm system. It's almost become this unwritten rule or something, probably all stemming from a catchy article written by a sports writer during the All-Star break a decade ago. So now we have this dramatic all or nothing perception.

Such crap.

As crazy and radical as it sounds, we could add a mid level guy or two and roll the dice, both rewarding this roster (and the fans) for their play and not gut the farm system in the process. Its not rocket science. If Stearns is smart enough to pick the right guys to bring in off the scrap heap that can contribute, I'm sure he is more than capable of orchestrating a mid level trade or two. It doesn't carry the same drama as Buyers vs Sellers, but it can still be effective.

That's fine. But an argument for being bigger buyers is that there aren't guarantees for any year--no guarantee that we'll be in the playoff hunt in 2 years even if keep all our prospect let's be willing to buy big in a year that we're already in the hunt.

But Melvin tried that with and it didn't work. Also, can't afford to give away star prospects for one year rentals in this market.

Let's try to just build it this way until it doesn't work and then try something new. No need to recycle a broken plan.
Everybody wants to go to heaven but nobody wants to die.
rarjake
Junior
And1: 44

Post#123 » by rarjake » Thu Jul 6, 2017 3:31 pm

Our future is in a couple years, when our SP prospects get here. Hader, Woodruff(sorry guy) - Burnes(what a shocker he has been!)- - Diplan(maybe) etc. etc. In no way should we make a win now move.
Would still be nice to trade Braun - but with everything considered, injury, and the standings, no chance of that now.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,775

Post#124 » by WeekapaugGroove » Thu Jul 6, 2017 3:39 pm

I'm definitely against trading any of the blue chippers for a rental piece. But I'm starting to come around on trading some middling prospects for a minor piece or two. One reason for this is that the Cubs are set up for long term success so if the Brewers are leading the division at the deadline they might need to be opportunistic and try to take advantage of the Cubs struggles this season because its no sure thing that they will be in this position a couple of years from now even if the Brewers are a better team at that point. Now this could all be a moot point three weeks from now if the Cubs go on a run and the Brewers fall back a little.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 36,736

Post#125 » by ReasonablySober » Fri Jul 7, 2017 1:30 pm

Read on Twitter

Hmm.
JimmyTheKid
General Manager
And1: 5,217

Post#126 » by JimmyTheKid » Fri Jul 7, 2017 1:32 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:
Read on Twitter

Hmm.

:D

Love it. Just going to sit back and watch Stearns go to work.
wichmae
RealGM
And1: 1,031

Post#127 » by wichmae » Fri Jul 7, 2017 1:34 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:
Read on Twitter

Hmm.

Would be incredibly stupid. Neither are as good as what their price tag will be. Gray has been bad, in a weak division, and in an extreme pitchers park for 2 years now. Quintana is a solid #2 but in no way am I giving up "A Nats type package" which is what the Sox are holding out for.
Ill-yasova
RealGM
And1: 2,559

Post#128 » by Ill-yasova » Fri Jul 7, 2017 1:34 pm

In Stearns I trust.
Turk Nowitzki
RealGM
And1: 10,345

Post#129 » by Turk Nowitzki » Fri Jul 7, 2017 1:56 pm

Ill-yasova wrote:In Stearns I trust.

Yep, gotta trust that he's just doing some due diligence and he won't send out a boatload of prospects for one of these guys.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 36,736

Post#130 » by ReasonablySober » Fri Jul 7, 2017 2:09 pm

Controlable or not, I don't want to send out a package worthy of an ace unless we're getting an ace back.
M-C-G
RealGM
And1: 9,492

Post#131 » by M-C-G » Fri Jul 7, 2017 2:23 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:Controlable or not, I don't want to send out a package worthy of an ace unless we're getting an ace back.

This farm is loaded with non essential guys that were in the system pre-Stearns. If he is just loading up a deal with those types of prospects, so be it. But one thing seems certain, Stearns knows minor league talent, maybe better than anyone in the league. I have a hard time thinking he would end up on the wrong end of a deal involving minor league prospects, even if we are the team giving them up in the deal.

We will see, but Stearns has been so good this far, I trust him completely.
BUCKnation
RealGM
And1: 3,237

Post#132 » by BUCKnation » Fri Jul 7, 2017 2:29 pm

Neither of those guys have been great this year
Kerb Hohl
RealGM
And1: 4,231
Location: Hmmmm...how many 1sts would Jason Richardson cost...?

Post#133 » by Kerb Hohl » Fri Jul 7, 2017 2:37 pm

Sonny seems to be the same, decent pitcher that got some bad luck last year.

Quintana seems to be struggling in the juiced ball era. Ball is flying out of the park a bit more on him.
Turk Nowitzki
RealGM
And1: 10,345

Post#134 » by Turk Nowitzki » Fri Jul 7, 2017 3:32 pm

I also can't help but wondering if we would be seeing these reports if we lost to the Cubs 11-2 yesterday instead of the other way around.
wichmae
RealGM

Post#135 » by wichmae » Fri Jul 7, 2017 3:36 pm

Morosi also suggested JA Happ but is 34 years old. Doesnt seem like the kind of guy we'd go after. If were going to give up a haul for a pitcher it better be a guy like Gerrit Cole.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM

Post#136 » by Kerb Hohl » Fri Jul 7, 2017 3:41 pm

wichmae wrote:Morosi also suggested JA Happ but is 34 years old. Doesnt seem like the kind of guy we'd go after. If were going to give up a haul for a pitcher it better be a guy like Gerrit Cole.

Cole only has 2 years of control remaining after this. Yeah, he's younger, but he'll want to hit the open market so I wouldn't count on him past that. I'm a fan of Cole but given both having recent injury issues and the cost to acquire each of them, 34 and 35 year old Happ may be almost as valuable as '17/'18/'19 Cole.
wichmae
RealGM

Post#137 » by wichmae » Fri Jul 7, 2017 3:41 pm

None of the guys we realistically can get are going to win us a WS. SO why jump the gun. It just doesnt make a ton of sense. Theres a reason why these guys are available. Gray before his last couple starts had an ERA close to 5 and awful home road splits. Quintana has been brutal this year. Teheran as well. JA Happ is 34. Volquez isnt very good. Alex Cobb is a rental. Samardzja has been awful and owed a ton of money. Cashner is a rental. It just doesnt make any sense to jump the gun here
wichmae
RealGM

Post#138 » by wichmae » Fri Jul 7, 2017 3:44 pm

Basically the packages probably start with Ray and Woodruff or Burnes with another guy like Diaz or Dubon. Then a lotto ticket type of guy like Mclanahan or Demi. Its just not smart for us to be doing this.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM

Post#139 » by Kerb Hohl » Fri Jul 7, 2017 3:56 pm

wichmae wrote:None of the guys we realistically can get are going to win us a WS. SO why jump the gun. It just doesnt make a ton of sense. Theres a reason why these guys are available. Gray before his last couple starts had an ERA close to 5 and awful home road splits. Quintana has been brutal this year. Teheran as well. JA Happ is 34. Volquez isnt very good. Alex Cobb is a rental. Samardzja has been awful and owed a ton of money. Cashner is a rental. It just doesnt make any sense to jump the gun here

I agree. The only name that does intrigue me is Gray at the right price because he has the stuff to actually dominate in the playoffs if things are right. I like groundball pitchers on the whole.

I have no idea how Cashner's numbers look the way they do this year.
jimmybones
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,836

Post#140 » by jimmybones » Fri Jul 7, 2017 5:08 pm

M-C-G wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:Controlable or not, I don't want to send out a package worthy of an ace unless we're getting an ace back.

This farm is loaded with non essential guys that were in the system pre-Stearns. If he is just loading up a deal with those types of prospects, so be it. But one thing seems certain, Stearns knows minor league talent, maybe better than anyone in the league. I have a hard time thinking he would end up on the wrong end of a deal involving minor league prospects, even if we are the team giving them up in the deal.

We will see, but Stearns has been so good this far, I trust him completely.

This. I'm all for keeping the shelves deeply stocked but if Stearns is so good at identifying who to trade for, I also trust he's smart enough to be aware of who not to trade away. We have some insane OF depth, I'm ok moving one that he feels most comfortable moving.

Return to Milwaukee Brewers