ImageImage

NLCS Lead Up Thread - Gio, Miley, Chacin, Games 1, 2, 3

Moderators: paulpressey25, MickeyDavis, humanrefutation

MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 46,250

Re: NLCS Lead Up Thread - Bring On The Dodgers! 

Post#41 » by MickeyDavis » Tue Oct 9, 2018 1:34 am

Payroll

Red Sox $228 million
Dodgers $199 million
Yankees $180 million
Astros $163 million
Brewers $109 million

So **** up
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
trwi7
RealGM
And1: 26,447

Post#42 » by trwi7 » Tue Oct 9, 2018 1:41 am

Have I mentioned how much I hate the 2-3-2 format? Because I hate the 2-3-2 format. Completely **** over the team that should have the advantage.
stellation wrote:What's the difference between Gery Woelful and this glass of mineral water? The mineral water actually has a source."

I Hate Manure wrote:We look to be awful next season without Beasley.
BUCKnation
RealGM
And1: 3,074

Post#43 » by BUCKnation » Tue Oct 9, 2018 1:46 am

trwi7 wrote:Have I mentioned how much I hate the 2-3-2 format? Because I hate the 2-3-2 format. Completely **** over the team that should have the advantage.

I think everyone hates it that's why they got rid of it in the nba.
sdn40
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,418

Post#44 » by sdn40 » Tue Oct 9, 2018 1:54 am

MickeyDavis wrote:Payroll

Red Sox $228 million
Dodgers $199 million
Yankees $180 million
Astros $163 million
Brewers $109 million

So **** up

Which brings up the Stearns question again. How long is his contract and why haven't we extended him ? I assume he and MA have a great relationship, but owners are gonna start making calls, if they haven't already. Owners are greedy.
A big part of me will always have a cynical view of the MLB because of the above disparity over payroll. The Dodger and Yankee local tv contracts are enough to cover the Brewer payroll all by itself. The Brewers tv contract ? 24 million - only 4 teams receive less.
ACGB
RealGM
And1: 2,713

Post#45 » by ACGB » Tue Oct 9, 2018 2:24 am

Stearns is gone as soon as his contract is up right? If you were him there's no way you'd rather suffer through our payroll instead of a big market with blank checks.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM
And1: 4,191
Location: Hmmmm...how many 1sts would Jason Richardson cost...?

Post#46 » by Kerb Hohl » Tue Oct 9, 2018 2:43 am

sdn40 wrote:

Red Sox $228 million
Dodgers $199 million
Yankees $180 million
Astros $163 million
Brewers $109 million

So **** up

Which brings up the Stearns question again. How long is his contract and why haven't we extended him ? I assume he and MA have a great relationship, but owners are gonna start making calls, if they haven't already. Owners are greedy.
A big part of me will always have a cynical view of the MLB because of the above disparity over payroll. The Dodger and Yankee local tv contracts are enough to cover the Brewer payroll all by itself. The Brewers tv contract ? 24 million - only 4 teams receive less.

1. I’m sure they’re trying to retain Stearns as long as possible. Do you really think they aren’t?

2. The Brewers are due for a new TV deal next year.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#47 » by MickeyDavis » Tue Oct 9, 2018 3:25 am

The whole Stearns contract status has been kept quiet. I would think if his contract was up this year we'd know about it. Especially given that the Mets are looking for a GM and Stearns is a NY native and Mets fan. I wouldn't be surprised if an extension was agreed to during the season and will be announced after.

This is his 3rd year as GM. I don't see anything about contract length when he was hired.
msiris
RealGM
And1: 1,776

Post#48 » by msiris » Tue Oct 9, 2018 3:34 am

Red Sox $228 million
Dodgers $199 million
Yankees $180 million
Astros $163 million
Brewers $109 million

So **** up
This I have not watched a playoff game since the Brewers were in it. I do not watch other teams ever.
Ride the tank
Mags FTW
RealGM
And1: 7,369

Post#49 » by Mags FTW » Tue Oct 9, 2018 3:36 am

trwi7 wrote:Have I mentioned how much I hate the 2-3-2 format? Because I hate the 2-3-2 format. Completely **** over the team that should have the advantage.

Agreed.

If you have HFA, and you win all of your home games, you should never trail in a series.
livestrong4ever
General Manager
And1: 140

Post#50 » by livestrong4ever » Tue Oct 9, 2018 5:30 am

So game 1 is at 7 pm???
livestrong4ever
General Manager
And1: 140

Post#51 » by livestrong4ever » Tue Oct 9, 2018 5:34 am

Red Sox $228 million
Dodgers $199 million
Yankees $180 million
Astros $163 million
Brewers $109 million

So **** up

The sad thing is Yankee fans think because their payroll IS NOT number 1 overall, they are "not winning because of pay"

:banghead:
blazza18
RealGM
And1: 26,930

Post#52 » by blazza18 » Tue Oct 9, 2018 7:15 am

Red Sox $228 million
Dodgers $199 million
Yankees $180 million
Astros $163 million
Brewers $109 million

So **** up

4 of the top 10 payrolls missed the playoffs. 1 other made the WC game.

As much as it sucks that these big market franchises can do whatever they want in regards to money, it doesn't always translate to being good and it's pretty cool to see teams build competitive rosters in different ways.
Baddy Chuck wrote:I want to win but I also love chaos.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#53 » by MickeyDavis » Tue Oct 9, 2018 10:03 am

Yup, spending money doesn't guarantee success. But it makes a huge difference. If Darvish never regains form the Cubs can just go sign another pitcher. If the Brewers make a mistake on a Garza or Suppan it limits other moves. The margin of error is so much smaller. The window of success is so much smaller.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#54 » by MickeyDavis » Tue Oct 9, 2018 10:12 am

The only small market team to win a recent World Series is Kansas City. Three years later they lost 104 games. Going back from last season the other champs were

Houston
Chicago
San Francisco
Boston
San Francisco
St.Louis
New York
San Francisco
Boston
Philly
Boston

Etc......

High payroll doesn't guarantee success but it's a huge factor. So sure if the Brewers win it all the small market aspect will be an interesting national story. It will also be the exception that proves the rule.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM
And1: 4,191
Location: Hmmmm...how many 1sts would Jason Richardson cost...?

Post#55 » by Kerb Hohl » Tue Oct 9, 2018 12:52 pm

blazza18 wrote:

Red Sox $228 million
Dodgers $199 million
Yankees $180 million
Astros $163 million
Brewers $109 million

So **** up

4 of the top 10 payrolls missed the playoffs. 1 other made the WC game.

As much as it sucks that these big market franchises can do whatever they want in regards to money, it doesn't always translate to being good and it's pretty cool to see teams build competitive rosters in different ways.

There are only 10 playoff spots. So I'd say that having 70% of the playoffs is a pretty big deal. Big spending basically allows a mega market like NYY to make the playoffs 80-90% of the time, large markets like the Rangers to cycle through 5 or 6 years of serious contention followed by 2-3 years of rebuilding...and then the last 2-3 playoff spots each year is just a revolving door of which small market team has put something together.

So yeah, I get what you're saying that it's not a guarantee, but basically every big spending team has enjoyed some sort of success from their spending other than maybe Seattle.

EDIT: Also, the Braves are "low" in payroll but they sure as hell won't be in a few years. The Phillies missed the playoffs but they'll be top 10 in spending again soon and will be a good team (probably).
BuckFan25226
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,020

Post#56 » by BuckFan25226 » Tue Oct 9, 2018 1:08 pm

Terrible draw for the Brewers.

You have a Milwaukee Bucks preseason game on Friday night. Hope MP is at least half full.
"didnt you watch the game with the raptors?bucks is also a playoff team ,they have enough ability to find wins from dalas and utach,
blow jazzs bitches and mavericks bitches out !"

- yiyiyi
Ron Swanson
RealGM
And1: 24,326

Post#57 » by Ron Swanson » Tue Oct 9, 2018 1:54 pm

Payroll disparity is pretty much the sole reason why I'm not a big baseball fan outside of the Brewers. I think the primary goal, beyond entertainment, of all professional sports leagues is to promote parity without forcing it. No, high payroll doesn't "guarantee" you a WS like it maybe did back in the day, but there's a reason the Dodgers have won their division the last 5 years and made the last 3 straight NLCS, and it's certainly not because they're overachieving through smart drafting and bargain bin free agent signings.

Literally every other North American professional sports league has a salary cap or financial restrictions of some kind to fairly balance out the power of the big markets. It's long overdue for the MLB to do the same.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#58 » by MickeyDavis » Tue Oct 9, 2018 2:31 pm

BuckFan25226 wrote:Terrible draw for the Brewers.

You have a Milwaukee Bucks preseason game on Friday night. Hope MP is at least half full.

Game 6 at Miller Park will be opposite the Bucks home opener. That sucks. Foo Fighters is the night of game 5 on Los Angeles. That sucks too. I guess we'll have to sweep.
sdn40
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,418

Post#59 » by sdn40 » Tue Oct 9, 2018 2:48 pm

Ron Swanson wrote:Payroll disparity is pretty much the sole reason why I'm not a big baseball fan outside of the Brewers. I think the primary goal, beyond entertainment, of all professional sports leagues is to promote parity without forcing it. No, high payroll doesn't "guarantee" you a WS like it maybe did back in the day, but there's a reason the Dodgers have won their division the last 5 years and made the last 3 straight NLCS, and it's certainly not because they're overachieving through smart drafting and bargain bin free agent signings.

Literally every other North American professional sports league has a salary cap or financial restrictions of some kind to fairly balance out the power of the big markets. It's long overdue for the MLB to do the same.

Unfortunately, unlike the other sports, the big city baseball owners are not shy. They flat out don't want to share, no matter how much it may help the league. Steinbrenner, for example was on record for not wanting to share a dime, and went to court a few times to fight it. The very definition of a sport is a level playing field, and I'll share view similar to yours until they realize it. I'll watch the Brewers and no one else
JayMKE
RealGM
And1: 14,855

Post#60 » by JayMKE » Tue Oct 9, 2018 3:28 pm

MickeyDavis wrote:
BuckFan25226 wrote:Terrible draw for the Brewers.

Game 6 at Miller Park will be opposite the Bucks home opener. That sucks. Foo Fighters is the night of game 5 on Los Angeles. That sucks too. I guess we'll have to sweep.

Guess we got to end this in 5 8-)
FREE GIANNIS

Return to Milwaukee Brewers