Yelich Agrees to $188.5 Million Contract Extension - 11:00AM Presser

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25, humanrefutation

MikeIsGood
RealGM
And1: 9,868

Re: Yelich on verge of $200 million contract 

Post#41 » by MikeIsGood » Wed Mar 4, 2020 12:56 am

Matches Malone wrote:
MickeyDavis wrote:Now get Giannis done and we'll be set in Milwaukee for awhile.

Was thinking the same thing. Maybe Yeli can whisper in Giannis ear to stay lol.

Relieved to know Planet Pat is secured 8-)
coolhandluke121
RealGM
And1: 6,917

Post#42 » by coolhandluke121 » Wed Mar 4, 2020 12:57 am

It's really cool that he will be a Brewer a long time, and he probably took well below market value, assuming salaries keep trending up the way they have been.

That said, I can understand why some people might be skeptical. They had him under contract for $15m in his age 30 season. They're basically adding 6 years and $175m to that. Paying him $175m for his age 31-36 seasons is good, but not a slam dunk IMO.
Wut we've got here is... faaailure... to communakate.
LittleRooster
General Manager
And1: 3,121

Post#43 » by LittleRooster » Wed Mar 4, 2020 1:45 am

Braun’s deal looked massive when he signed it too. I imagine a few years from now this will look even better then it does

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 14,391

Post#44 » by humanrefutation » Wed Mar 4, 2020 2:19 am

The notion of the Brewers dropping $200M+ on a player would have been laughed out of the room a few years ago.

The skepticism of paying for a player who ages out of his prime is certainly understandable. Plus, there's a credible argument to be made that perhaps the new CBA would have depressed some of these player salaries, so you wouldn't see these $350-$400M contracts in a few years. But I still think Jenkins - ahem, Yelich - would have fetched a bigger deal on the open market.
wallus
Rookie
And1: 1,191

Post#45 » by wallus » Wed Mar 4, 2020 2:43 am

If we had this kind of money to spend, I would rather have put it towards a 3B such as Rendon, Donaldson or Arenado. I'm not upset because I really love Yelich as a player and person but don't think this is a great use of resources.
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#46 » by humanrefutation » Wed Mar 4, 2020 3:00 am

wallus wrote:If we had this kind of money to spend, I would rather have put it towards a 3B such as Rendon, Donaldson or Arenado. I'm not upset because I really love Yelich as a player and person but don't think this is a great use of resources.

Rendon and Arenado both got paid more than Yelich - and not by insignificant amounts of money. That's putting aside the real question as to whether they're better than Yelich, let alone whether they'd want to come here.

Also, no offense, but complaining about use of resources while simultaneously advocating that we pay $92M+ over four years for a 34 year old Josh Donaldson - the contract he just signed with the Twins - is some cognitive dissonance.
IrishRainbow
Veteran
And1: 900

Post#47 » by IrishRainbow » Wed Mar 4, 2020 3:03 am

MAC1987 wrote:What do the deferrals mean exactly? Defer some money to different years?

Sent from my SM-G935V using RealGM mobile app
See Bobby Bonilla/Mets

Sent from my SM-G965U using RealGM mobile app
wallus
Rookie

Post#48 » by wallus » Wed Mar 4, 2020 3:16 am

humanrefutation wrote:
wallus wrote:If we had this kind of money to spend, I would rather have put it towards a 3B such as Rendon, Donaldson or Arenado. I'm not upset because I really love Yelich as a player and person but don't think this is a great use of resources.

Rendon and Arenado both got paid more than Yelich - and not by insignificant amounts of money. That's putting aside the real question as to whether they're better than Yelich, let alone whether they'd want to come here.

Also, no offense, but complaining about use of resources while simultaneously advocating that we pay $92M+ over four years for a 34 year old Josh Donaldson - the contract he just signed with the Twins - is some cognitive dissonance.

The question isn't if they are better than Yelich. The question is if we are better with these other guys playing 3rd base versus the guys we have under contract AND Yelich for the next 3 years.

Also if you knew you were signing someone for big money, you could have spent less in other areas. Let's just pick Rendon (my favorite pick of the bunch). Don't sign Sogard, Smoak, and Gyorko. Trade for Dom Smith from the Mets to play first base. (these were about 13 million in contracts) The way Rendon's contract was setup was less money in the first two years. This would give us a 3 year window with a cheap Yelich to get it done. Next year we lose Braun's contract, then lose Cain's contract after 2022.

Josh Donaldson (my least favorite of the 3) was a 6 WAR player in 2019 and projected to have a similar year in 2020. I don't see how extending Yelich until he is 37, when we had him locked up during his peak, will get us closer to a World Series.

Also, I see tons of people bemoaning the Braun contract over the last few years and this is in the same realm.
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#49 » by humanrefutation » Wed Mar 4, 2020 4:06 am

wallus wrote:
humanrefutation wrote:

The question isn't if they are better than Yelich. The question is if we are better with these other guys playing 3rd base versus the guys we have under contract AND Yelich for the next 3 years.

Also if you knew you were signing someone for big money, you could have spent less in other areas. Let's just pick Rendon (my favorite pick of the bunch). Don't sign Sogard, Smoak, and Gyorko. Trade for Dom Smith from the Mets to play first base. (these were about 13 million in contracts) The way Rendon's contract was setup was less money in the first two years. This would give us a 3 year window with a cheap Yelich to get it done. Next year we lose Braun's contract, then lose Cain's contract after 2022.

Josh Donaldson (my least favorite of the 3) was a 6 WAR player in 2019 and projected to have a similar year in 2020. I don't see how extending Yelich until he is 37, when we had him locked up during his peak, will get us closer to a World Series.

Also, I see tons of people bemoaning the Braun contract over the last few years and this is in the same realm.

Even if you subtract those contracts, you're still about $23m per year short of paying Arenado or Rendon. Yelich AAV is about $10m per year more than he's getting right now, but we don't know how much is deferred so it might be less than that. You're still stuck with about a $13m per year gap - about $90m plus over the life of the contract. Not an insignificant amount of money.

That's without factoring whether they would want to sign here.

The Braun contract was wildly celebrated when it was handed out, but it's been bemoaned in large part because of what was discovered soon after he signed it - that he was using PEDs. It was a false bill of goods.
kid idioteque
Analyst
And1: 2,542

Post#50 » by kid idioteque » Wed Mar 4, 2020 4:12 am

this is great
wallus
Rookie

Post#51 » by wallus » Wed Mar 4, 2020 4:28 am

humanrefutation wrote:
wallus wrote:
humanrefutation wrote:

Even if you subtract those contracts, you're still about $23m per year short of paying Arenado or Rendon. Yelich AAV is about $10m per year more than he's getting right now, but we don't know how much is deferred so it might be less than that. You're still stuck with about a $13m per year gap - about $90m plus over the life of the contract. Not an insignificant amount of money.

That's without factoring whether they would want to sign here.

The Braun contract was wildly celebrated when it was handed out, but it's been bemoaned in large part because of what was discovered soon after he signed it - that he was using PEDs. It was a false bill of goods.

Rendon's contract is lower in the first two years like I had mentioned so the difference is only about 15 million in 2020. You could always have chosen to not sign Garcia but I think that will be a good signing. You use the savings from Braun and Cain getting off the books to make up the difference for the later uglier years. If it all blows up, you trade Yelich in a year or two.

Arenado was pretty upset at the front office so it is likely he would have agreed to a Milwaukee trade. Rendon would "earn" a little more money as Wisconsin has lower taxes than California which might effect his decision. He also said he was a guy that doesn't like the spotlight which would be to our benefit. We also have had much more success than LA the last few seasons.

I guess I see a three year window where I see a serious roadmap to a World Series. I know the Crew has made the playoffs the last couple of years but I think adding one more major piece is really important.

Still happy for Yelich and I hope it works out.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,573

Post#52 » by ReasonablySober » Wed Mar 4, 2020 5:37 am

I'm happy that we've got a hall of famer locked up if the Brewers want to keep him. That's not nothing. But I worry that with a dumpster fire farm system it's going to be tough to put the kind of talent around him to actually contend.
BUCKnation
RealGM
And1: 3,097

Post#53 » by BUCKnation » Wed Mar 4, 2020 10:14 am

Can only say I love it.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM
And1: 4,193
Location: Hmmmm...how many 1sts would Jason Richardson cost...?

Post#54 » by Kerb Hohl » Wed Mar 4, 2020 2:10 pm

I noted yesterday that on further review, this is fine. It's so "cheap" that even if he does suck from age 34-37, ~$25 million is like $15 million in today's money. Hopefully we get payoff from age 31-33 because otherwise this was pointless.

At first I thought they were giving him more this year in said extension which would've been not great management of the window.

But my question is:

Did we "save $20m-30 this year" to sprinkle on his contract further down the road? If so, I'd rather have just gone all-in from 2020-2022 and gotten something for him in a trade if all else failed.
coolhandluke121
RealGM
And1: 6,917

Post#55 » by coolhandluke121 » Wed Mar 4, 2020 2:25 pm

Kerb Hohl wrote:
Did we "save $20m-30 this year" to sprinkle on his contract further down the road? If so, I'd rather have just gone all-in from 2020-2022 and gotten something for him in a trade if all else failed.

That's really the big question. The cap numbers are pretty damn good in a vacuum, although small market teams obviously have to be very cautious on contracts like this. But if the premise is being a contender year in and year out for 11 years, which would be Yelich's total with the club if he finishes this deal, that's pretty hard to do for a small market team - especially one with arguably the worst farm system in baseball right now.

So yeah, they could very well have increased their chances of winning a title this decade more by spending the money on more immediate help and trading Yelich in 2022 for a reboot (with the hope of contending again in the late 20's).

Side note: Can't believe we're talking about the 20's. I'll still have to get used to that term in reference to this century and not the last one.
Wut we've got here is... faaailure... to communakate.
JimmyTheKid
General Manager
And1: 5,214

Post#56 » by JimmyTheKid » Wed Mar 4, 2020 2:53 pm

:D
Siefer
RealGM
And1: 6,097

Post#57 » by Siefer » Wed Mar 4, 2020 5:30 pm

Really nice deal for the Brewers, and I think fairly low risk. Still not high on this teams' near-term prospects.
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#58 » by humanrefutation » Fri Mar 6, 2020 4:31 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#59 » by humanrefutation » Fri Mar 6, 2020 4:33 pm

kid idioteque
Analyst
And1: 2,542

Post#60 » by kid idioteque » Fri Mar 6, 2020 4:34 pm

Just bought my tickets for the game today to be part of the inevitable standing ovation. (He is in the lineup.)

Hopefully this will be more memorable than the Jabari Parker press conference at Milwaukee Public Market. :/

Return to Milwaukee Brewers