ImageImage

2022 Brewers Trades, Transactions, News - Cain Speaks Out

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25, humanrefutation

Iheartfootball
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,179

Re: 2022 Brewers Trades, Transactions, News - Hader to Padres 

Post#721 » by Iheartfootball » Tue Aug 2, 2022 10:14 pm

I have not listened to any interviews with Devin Williams but wouldn’t it be funny if he just came from a talk with Counsell and was told he’s not going to be the closer? And this is him pissed about that?

He’s gotta get first crack, no? Move Boxberger to the 8th? Find a new 7th guy? Maybe Ashby slides in for the rest of season. Give his arm a rest.

Spitballing while bored at home with a sick kid.
Brewster
Sophomore
And1: 27

Post#722 » by Brewster » Tue Aug 2, 2022 10:15 pm

LittleRooster wrote:
Read on Twitter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why are we trading top prospects for a pitcher who hasn’t pitch at all this season?
Matches Malone
RealGM
And1: 21,251

Post#723 » by Matches Malone » Tue Aug 2, 2022 10:21 pm

Brewster wrote:
LittleRooster wrote:
Read on Twitter

Why are we trading top prospects for a pitcher who hasn’t pitch at all this season?

Must be Stearns last ditch effort to get to New York. Start bombing your deals.

But in all seriousness, this deal is another headscratcher.
Gery Woelfel wrote:Got a time big boy?
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 46,292

Post#724 » by MickeyDavis » Tue Aug 2, 2022 10:32 pm

Read on Twitter
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
Turk Nowitzki
RealGM
And1: 10,012

Post#725 » by Turk Nowitzki » Tue Aug 2, 2022 10:33 pm

The Rosenthal one is wild. McCalvy is saying now that he won't be up until late August. How can they give any kind of prospect for a month of Trevor Rosenthal who hasn't pitched in year?
blazza18
RealGM
And1: 26,946

Post#726 » by blazza18 » Tue Aug 2, 2022 10:52 pm

Bummer that we didn't get Soto.
Baddy Chuck wrote:I want to win but I also love chaos.
emunney
RealGM
And1: 37,166

Post#727 » by emunney » Wed Aug 3, 2022 1:02 am

I don't like or dislike any of these deals. I don't know dick about any of these guys. It's weird though that in baseball you can sign a guy off the street and then trade him 12 days later for a decent prospect.
Here are more legal notices regarding the Posts
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,552

Post#728 » by ReasonablySober » Wed Aug 3, 2022 1:11 am

emunney wrote:I don't like or dislike any of these deals. I don't know dick about any of these guys. It's weird though that in baseball you can sign a guy off the street and then trade him 12 days later for a decent prospect.

It's such a weird deal that it makes me think there was talks a while ago before the Giants signed him. Like the Brewers wanted him after a workout, couldn't sign him, and got the Giants to do so instead for Peters.
LittleRooster
General Manager
And1: 3,121

Post#729 » by LittleRooster » Wed Aug 3, 2022 3:19 am

Read on Twitter

leroyjw10
Sixth Man
And1: 1,270

Post#730 » by leroyjw10 » Wed Aug 3, 2022 1:02 pm

On the whole, I'd say the Crew probably got a little worse this deadline. Of course, that could change if our newly deepened bullpen becomes lights out.

The offense is just so "meh." There's nobody in that lineup that I'd trust in the postseason. Just too many guys in that .220-.240 range.

Can't believe Keston is still on this team. Dude needs a fresh start somewhere else.
LUKE23
RealGM
And1: 6,283

Post#731 » by LUKE23 » Wed Aug 3, 2022 1:13 pm

leroyjw10 wrote:On the whole, I'd say the Crew probably got a little worse this deadline. Of course, that could change if our newly deepened bullpen becomes lights out.

The offense is just so "meh." There's nobody in that lineup that I'd trust in the postseason. Just too many guys in that .220-.240 range.

Can't believe Keston is still on this team. Dude needs a fresh start somewhere else.

Yeah, I feel the same. The overall season stats on offense aren’t bad but when it comes to facing teams top 3 SP and bullpen arms I fully expect this offense to be shut down.

I think we are going to look back on this era of pitching with a lot of regret that we didn’t do more to bolster the offense. Obviously Yelich turning to **** was killer, but my fear is that the minor league bats just start getting hot in MLB as the pitching is walking out the door.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM
And1: 4,193
Location: Hmmmm...how many 1sts would Jason Richardson cost...?

Post#732 » by Kerb Hohl » Wed Aug 3, 2022 1:25 pm

I think one of the issues might be that the farm has not been great the past few years and the Brewers have built a roster of 2 WAR offensive players. They aren't trash replacement guys, they aren't elite.

To improve that, you need an elite player. To get an elite player, you need to package Chourio (very recent) or basically the top 3 prospects other than him. And that's just for one guy.

The other moves they could've made are like bringing in Joey Gallo or Luke Voit to be part-time bats for lesser prospects. In the end, I'm not sure how much that moves the needle.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#733 » by ReasonablySober » Wed Aug 3, 2022 1:44 pm

I just didn't see the impact bats available. If the Brewers were one guy away I could see saying screw it and emptying the top of the pipeline. But the reality is the Brewers just need their existing bats to play more like they were expected to.
jimmybones
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,782

Post#734 » by jimmybones » Wed Aug 3, 2022 3:09 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:I just didn't see the impact bats available. If the Brewers were one guy away I could see saying screw it and emptying the top of the pipeline. But the reality is the Brewers just need their existing bats to play more like they were expected to.

Agreed. It’s disappointing as a fan to see a need go unaddressed but if the cost was obviously too high for a difference maker and why spend the prospect cost on marginal upgrades.

I think the rationale behind all the arms was to build a super deep staff and just “hope” some bats get hot at the right time. We may not be favorites, which no move would have changed, but we’ll have a shot.

If we go into the playoffs with current staff + Peralta, Ashby, Hauser, Rogers, Bush - it’s a ridiculously deep staff. It really will come down to can the offense have a hot stretch at the right time. I wouldn’t bet on it but there’s a punchers chance. There’s worse positions to be in.
jute2003
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,363

Post#735 » by jute2003 » Wed Aug 3, 2022 3:22 pm

With the pitching staff, they're very rarely going to be out of a game. They'll need a lot of luck to do anything in the playoffs but that was always going to be the case.

The Hader trade is going to be anywhere from meh to holy **** by the time the dust clears.

If there weren't any bats available, there weren't any bats available....and by the looks of who changed teams, there weren't any realistic bats available.
only a fan, only an opinion
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 14,380

Post#736 » by humanrefutation » Wed Aug 3, 2022 5:28 pm

Counsell has always loved to be able to mix and match his pitching staff, but the 3 batter minimum seems to limit his ability in that regard.

I suppose if you can't get a decent bat without emptying the farm, then the next best thing is to bolster your pen.
Ron Swanson
RealGM
And1: 24,372

Post#737 » by Ron Swanson » Wed Aug 3, 2022 5:34 pm

This does seem like the most realistic way to compete for a team in the Brewers' current position, aka load up on bullpen arms and hope the offense can get hot and produce by committee when September and October roll around. Just seems like the life of a small market feeder team in the MLB and feels like you can't invest too heavily in position players because of the volatility of hitting averages.

Idk, it's really tough for me to fault the approach given the results of the last 4 years. But it's certainly frustrating when you basically have to concede "not being able to compete with the big boys" in a professional sports league. But then again, that's probably why I'm mostly a casual baseball observer anyways. The illusion of "parity".
LittleRooster
General Manager
And1: 3,121

Post#738 » by LittleRooster » Wed Aug 3, 2022 5:34 pm

My gut tell me the bat they’re going to add is someone from their minor league system for the playoff run

ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#739 » by ReasonablySober » Wed Aug 3, 2022 7:15 pm

Read on Twitter

LOL
leroyjw10
Sixth Man
And1: 1,270

Post#740 » by leroyjw10 » Wed Aug 3, 2022 7:27 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:
Read on Twitter

LOL

So did San Diego not only get the best player in the deal, but they also got to dump salary? I know the guy wasn't pitching all that well anyways, but this is even a worse look for Stearns.

Return to Milwaukee Brewers