ImageImage

Around The League Thread

Moderators: paulpressey25, MickeyDavis, humanrefutation

Kerb Hohl
RealGM
And1: 4,155
Location: Hmmmm...how many 1sts would Jason Richardson cost...?

Re: Around The League Thread 

Post#641 » by Kerb Hohl » Tue May 9, 2017 3:27 pm

wichmae wrote:Tommy Milone, Rob Scahill, Kirk, Suter, Reed, Jungmann, even Hughes all shouldnt have been on the 40 over protecting Diaz. Even if he does end up a BP arm its still a plus FB, plus slider arm on a 22 year old prospect. This and the Davis trade are the two biggest blunders he's made. There was no excuse to not protect Diaz.

In 3 years we can just pay $3 million for a flamethrower that had a down year. The more we squeeze the roster, the more options you have to burn on guys on your 40 and the more you may have to call somebody up when he's not ready or start burning their service clock.

I'm kinda lukewarm on this all since I generally want to protect the young prospects, but the Padres are hoarding 5 Rule 5 guys on their roster right now and currently all of them suck. For all of their troubles they may get 3-4 years of control (during the window when they hope to compete) of a decent #3 starter, a flamethrowing reliever with command issues, and a RH 4th OF that could hit 25 HRs but also will probably strike out 200 times, an OK SS, and a backup catcher...AND they get to pay arbitration prices for those guys right when they enter a competitive window.

In the above list I just mentioned, I'm sure 1 of those guys will turn into a good player. Was it worth holding 5 roster spots for 3 years for guys that weren't ready and inflating the prices of these guys? The Rule 5 draft master Padres are also rostering Jared Weaver and Erick Aybar. Clayton Richard and Cahill are performing well, but the Padres are also rostering those guys.

I'm all for tanking, but I'm just not sure it'll be worth the trouble in the end. The Padres will probably be at least somewhat competitive in 2-3 years because they're getting talent in their rebuild, but will all of these roster holdings be worth it for these guys? I'm not so sure.
El Duderino
RealGM
And1: 1,324

Post#642 » by El Duderino » Tue May 9, 2017 7:26 pm

It's not that the Brewers should have gone down the same route as the Padres Herb. Instead it's that there were better options to as to who to protect besides leaving Diaz available.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM

Post#643 » by Kerb Hohl » Tue May 9, 2017 7:30 pm

El Duderino wrote:It's not that the Brewers should have gone down the same route as the Padres Herb. Instead it's that there were better options to as to who to protect besides leaving Diaz available.

That's definitely not what I'm saying. The Brewers would be essentially drafting Diaz in the Rule 5 draft (yes, they don't have to MLB roster him for a year) because they're forced to put him on the 40 man and option him. I'm trying to explain that the guys that get exposed to the Rule 5 and therefore those that the Padres are hoarding may not be all that worth it.

I think you guys are oversimplifying things by saying "derrr Scahill (and other AAAA type guys on the 40 man) sucks and Diaz is a good prospect." No ****. It's not that simple.
El Duderino
RealGM

Post#644 » by El Duderino » Tue May 9, 2017 7:47 pm

Kerb Hohl wrote:
El Duderino wrote:It's not that the Brewers should have gone down the same route as the Padres Herb. Instead it's that there were better options to as to who to protect besides leaving Diaz available.

That's definitely not what I'm saying. The Brewers would be essentially drafting Diaz in the Rule 5 draft (yes, they don't have to MLB roster him for a year) because they're forced to put him on the 40 man and option him. I'm trying to explain that the guys that get exposed to the Rule 5 and therefore those that the Padres are hoarding may not be all that worth it.

I think you guys are oversimplifying things by saying "derrr Scahill (and other AAAA type guys on the 40 man) sucks and Diaz is a good prospect." No ****. It's not that simple.

I don't think it's oversimplifying things one bit when it comes to Diaz, there were better options than him. That all.

In general though, i like what Stearns has done and believe that he'll lead the Brewers to being a winner. I just don't get exposing a young arm like that over multiple AAAA scrubs who can be churned through waivers left and right. It's not as if the team was hoping to win 95 games this year and thus worrying about the 25 man roster should have been priority number one.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM

Post#645 » by Kerb Hohl » Tue May 9, 2017 8:05 pm

El Duderino wrote:
Kerb Hohl wrote:

I don't think it's oversimplifying things one bit when it comes to Diaz, there were better options than him. That all.

In general though, i like what Stearns has done and believe that he'll lead the Brewers to being a winner. I just don't get exposing a young arm like that over multiple AAAA scrubs who can be churned through waivers left and right. It's not as if the team was hoping to win 95 games this year and thus worrying about the 25 man roster should have been priority number one.

Diaz is a reliever that management must not have thought was on the level of Kenley Jansen or Aroldis Chapman. If protected, he'd have to be in the majors at age 24 at the latest and never go back down. He'd take up a 40 man roster spot for 3 years and we've got guys like Isan Diaz, Woodruff, etc. all coming up in a few years that will need to be protected. Also, we are one of the best organizations in baseball at quietly building a good bullpen, so I will trust their judgment.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,748

Post#646 » by ReasonablySober » Sat May 13, 2017 6:39 pm

The Nats just decided to give Harper $21 million on his last arb year. I have no idea what they're doing here.
El Duderino
RealGM

Post#647 » by El Duderino » Sat May 13, 2017 9:10 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:The Nats just decided to give Harper $21 million on his last arb year. I have no idea what they're doing here.

Boras is his agent and will likely want to take Harper into free agent barring Washington offering a crazy crazy big contract.
Turk Nowitzki
RealGM
And1: 9,821

Post#648 » by Turk Nowitzki » Sun May 14, 2017 2:13 am

ReasonablySober wrote:The Nats just decided to give Harper $21 million on his last arb year. I have no idea what they're doing here.

Why is this a big deal? What am I missing? They're showing a little goodwill to their star player and avoiding any hard feelings over arbitration before he hits FA after next season. Surely that's all this is unless I'm missing something?
Kerb Hohl
RealGM

Post#649 » by Kerb Hohl » Sun May 14, 2017 3:34 am

Yeah I'm not really sure what the issue is. I'm assuming Harper went a bit high and the Nats gave it to him in goodwill? I'd imagine if he didn't have such leverage there would be like a 14 vs 17 battle (total guess)?
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks
And1: 25,845

Post#650 » by paulpressey25 » Thu May 18, 2017 1:02 pm

Think the author did a poor job of developing his storyline here but do think there may be a storyline related to PED's. Or maybe something different.

https://theringer.com/mlb-veteran-player-statistical-decline-c431a2690c06

If you guys are wondering why over 35 production was so huge during the WWII years it was because so much of the league's talent was coming in and out due to wartime service.
In depth discussions here - shorter stuff on Twitter

https://twitter.com/paulpressey25
coolhandluke121
RealGM
And1: 6,834

Post#651 » by coolhandluke121 » Thu May 18, 2017 2:06 pm

paulpressey25 wrote:Think the author did a poor job of developing his storyline here but do think there may be a storyline related to PED's. Or maybe something different.

https://theringer.com/mlb-veteran-player-statistical-decline-c431a2690c06

If you guys are wondering why over 35 production was so huge during the WWII years it was because so much of the league's talent was coming in and out due to wartime service.

I'm so glad we kept Braun. I'm told he will be a valuable bat once our best young players are ready to compete for the playoffs.
Wut we've got here is... faaailure... to communakate.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM

Post#652 » by Kerb Hohl » Thu May 18, 2017 4:34 pm

paulpressey25 wrote:If you guys are wondering why over 35 production was so huge during the WWII years it was because so much of the league's talent was coming in and out due to wartime service.

Didn't Ted Williams bring greenies over from WWII? It would have been in the later stages of the war that they started if that theory is true, but that may also explain some of it.
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks
And1: 25,845

Post#653 » by paulpressey25 » Thu May 18, 2017 5:05 pm

Kerb Hohl wrote:
paulpressey25 wrote:If you guys are wondering why over 35 production was so huge during the WWII years it was because so much of the league's talent was coming in and out due to wartime service.

Didn't Ted Williams bring greenies over from WWII? It would have been in the later stages of the war that they started if that theory is true, but that may also explain some of it.

Don't know any of the history there but you might be 100% right. I'm just always amazed when I see those WWII stories or photos of guys like Ted Williams, Jimmy Stewart, etc, etc who essentially set aside the career for some period of time while they were in the service. The baseball historians know 100x more but from what I recall a lot of older/retired players were able to play a lot of ball while the younger guys were in the Army.
In depth discussions here - shorter stuff on Twitter

https://twitter.com/paulpressey25
Gianstoppable
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,618

Post#654 » by Gianstoppable » Sat May 20, 2017 2:23 pm

I LOVE how bad Schwarber and Rizzo are doing
#FreeChuckDiesel
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,657

Re: RE: Re: Around The League Thread 

Post#655 » by WeekapaugGroove » Sat May 20, 2017 3:22 pm

Gianstoppable wrote:I LOVE how bad Schwarber and Rizzo are doing

You know this post will guarantee those two hit the **** out of Anderson today. :)

Sent from my SM-G930V using RealGM mobile app
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 13,885

Post#656 » by humanrefutation » Sun Jun 18, 2017 4:08 am

For real, though, the new Pete Rose statue the Reds commissioned in honor of his induction into their team Hall of Fame is pretty dope.

Turk Nowitzki
RealGM
And1: 9,821

Post#657 » by Turk Nowitzki » Tue Jun 20, 2017 2:57 am

What the **** is Cody Bellinger doing? This is some next level ****.

21 HRs in 51 games. Didn't get called up until the end of April.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM

Post#658 » by Kerb Hohl » Tue Jun 20, 2017 2:16 pm

Turk Nowitzki wrote:What the **** is Cody Bellinger doing? This is some next level ****.

21 HRs in 51 games. Didn't get called up until the end of April.

He is insane.

Somewhat related: they may have to have an asterisk on the juiced ball era. Run totals are getting pretty crazy.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM

Post#659 » by Kerb Hohl » Thu Jun 22, 2017 4:10 pm

Schwarber is getting optioned to AAA. It's entirely possible that he's just had some really bad BABIP luck. His peripherals are otherwise pretty similar.
wichmae
RealGM
And1: 1,031

Post#660 » by wichmae » Sun Jun 25, 2017 6:29 pm

Read on Twitter

Return to Milwaukee Brewers