Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25, humanrefutation

coolhandluke121
RealGM
And1: 6,847

Re: Fire RR and Melvin 

Post#101 » by coolhandluke121 » Sun Sep 28, 2014 10:30 pm

paulpressey25 wrote:
coolhandluke121 wrote:
The Braun/Fielder point is lost on me. Weren't they, along with most of the other players or trade assets that nearly got them to the WS in 2011, drafted during the Brewers' ridiculous run of ineptitude?

I'm not a baseball draft expert, but don't believe you need to bottom out to have a great farm system. It is just incumbent on the GM and/or scouting director to be in the top 25%. Melvin and team aren't in that regard.

I do though think Melvin is pretty good at the "vets we can afford" acquisition thing though. That's a hard path to take, but he has been able to get a lot of guys who have produced when needed over the past decade. He just doesn't have the stud guys from the farm system like he inherited with Braun/Prince

They're in the bottom 25%, I'm sure. Huge problem. Again, the fact that that's a larger problem doesn't really excuse the mismanagement of assets in my book. They pretty much let every single guy waste away into nothing on their watch, rather than trading him when they have the chance. Out of Ramirez, Lohse, Garza, Gallardo, and even Braun, a few of them will be next. Mark my words.

Agree totally about Melvin's ability to generally make solid signings within his constraints. But I think the Brewers are actually one of the most appealing free agent destinations, so he's got that in his favor. And he shoots himself in the foot by not trading those acquisitions when he has the chance to maximize the assets. I don't know how much of that is on Mark A though.

Roster balance, versatility, baseball i.q., and defense are huge issues as well. That's where I fault Melvin 100%, in the sense that he doesn't seem to value those things much.
Wut we've got here is... faaailure... to communakate.
trwi7
RealGM
And1: 26,392

Post#102 » by trwi7 » Sun Sep 28, 2014 10:31 pm

coolhandluke121 wrote:Also, I'm not really sold on Scooter and I don't know why anyone would be.

Agreed. He was protected this year and still only finished with a .320 OBP. It's going to be a disaster next year if they start him full time.
stellation wrote:What's the difference between Gery Woelful and this glass of mineral water? The mineral water actually has a source."

I Hate Manure wrote:We look to be awful next season without Beasley.
coolhandluke121
RealGM

Post#103 » by coolhandluke121 » Sun Sep 28, 2014 10:42 pm

trwi7 wrote:
coolhandluke121 wrote:Also, I'm not really sold on Scooter and I don't know why anyone would be.

Agreed. He was protected this year and still only finished with a .320 OBP. It's going to be a disaster next year if they start him full time.

To say nothing of his defense. I think he has more value as a trade chip to help the Brewers get a missing piece than he has as a starter on a team that has basically one sliver of daylight left in their window of contention. It's not like he's the kind of guy you plan your future around even if he could sustain an .800 OPS.

Fun fact: Weeks had a .746 OPS against righties. Scooter had a .754 OPS overall. Again, I know people are going to mock my Zobrist obsession, but jeez he would be a big help.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,014

Post#104 » by ReasonablySober » Mon Sep 29, 2014 12:27 am

Scooter had 473 PAs, 8th among NL 2B. Among 2B to get 400 PAs, he had the 2nd highest OPS behind Walker.

Yes, he's a platoon player. But since he's going to be seeing RHP he's fine as your (mostly) everyday player.
tbirdblue
Ballboy
And1: 8

Post#105 » by tbirdblue » Mon Sep 29, 2014 12:52 am

alittle off subject, anyone know why Carlos Gomez did not play today??
Thunder Muscle
RealGM
And1: 1,060

Post#106 » by Thunder Muscle » Mon Sep 29, 2014 2:06 am

Sounds like Weeks was asked if he wanted to play or pinch hit today, and he declined. I don't think there is any way he's back in the clubhouse next year. I half forgot he was on the roster to begin with though...
gbmb34
Pro Prospect
And1: 80

Post#107 » by gbmb34 » Mon Sep 29, 2014 2:28 am

I think the Brewers try and sign a strong utility infielder to not completely platoon Scooter, but at least take away ABs against tough LHers (Kershaw, Lee, Hamels, etc.)
packerbreakdown.wordpress.com
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,014

Post#108 » by ReasonablySober » Mon Sep 29, 2014 2:52 am

If Weeks was willing to come back at a hella reduced price he'd be a good candidate to fill that role. But if not maybe someone like Bonifacio or Tolleson could fill a cheap role against LHP.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM
And1: 4,171
Location: Hmmmm...how many 1sts would Jason Richardson cost...?

Post#109 » by Kerb Hohl » Mon Sep 29, 2014 3:34 am

They had better get a utility IF to go with a full platoon of Scooter.
coolhandluke121
RealGM

Post#110 » by coolhandluke121 » Mon Sep 29, 2014 3:59 pm

Braun is going to have that thumb surgery. Sounds like a complicated procedure with no guarantee of success.
jimmybones
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,721

Post#111 » by jimmybones » Mon Sep 29, 2014 4:19 pm

brewerspack8 wrote:I wish Mark A and Melvin would name names lol. It's quite apparent there's no leader or alpha in the dugout. I would love to see how Gomez performs and acts with a different manager and coaching staff. RR is the reason in my opinion why Gomez does some idiotic stuff free swinging and his dumb antics. He needs a coach and a leader that will come down on him and let him know what the deal is. Too much talent in him that's being wasted. I wonder what attendance will look like down the road.

RR bothers me in a lot of ways and I'd probably find a new manager, but blaming him for Gomez being a free swinger is epic lulz...come on man.
jimmybones
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,721

Post#112 » by jimmybones » Mon Sep 29, 2014 4:23 pm

paulpressey25 wrote:
coolhandluke121 wrote:
The Braun/Fielder point is lost on me. Weren't they, along with most of the other players or trade assets that nearly got them to the WS in 2011, drafted during the Brewers' ridiculous run of ineptitude?

I'm not a baseball draft expert, but don't believe you need to bottom out to have a great farm system. It is just incumbent on the GM and/or scouting director to be in the top 25%. Melvin and team aren't in that regard.

I believe CHL's point(correct me if I'm wrong) is that it would be beneficial to sell because of the return you'd get via trade from guys that still have value. I do agree that baseball bottoming out is different than basketball. In basketball, all you care about is sucking enough to get the high pick. The odds are higher of that pick hitting, and just one or two can turn things around in a hurry. In baseball, you get more direct return on the actual trades. The bottoming out and getting high picks is more of a secondary benefit of baseball "tanking."
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 13,997

Post#113 » by humanrefutation » Mon Sep 29, 2014 4:25 pm

I don't think we need a major roster shakeup. I think we go into next season and see how things are going. If we're still struggling, then we can move some guys at the deadline.
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 13,997

Post#114 » by humanrefutation » Mon Sep 29, 2014 4:25 pm

jimmybones wrote:
brewerspack8 wrote:I wish Mark A and Melvin would name names lol. It's quite apparent there's no leader or alpha in the dugout. I would love to see how Gomez performs and acts with a different manager and coaching staff. RR is the reason in my opinion why Gomez does some idiotic stuff free swinging and his dumb antics. He needs a coach and a leader that will come down on him and let him know what the deal is. Too much talent in him that's being wasted. I wonder what attendance will look like down the road.

RR bothers me in a lot of ways and I'd probably find a new manager, but blaming him for Gomez being a free swinger is epic lulz...come on man.

Yeah. If anything, it was RR and company who helped turn around Gomez's career.
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks
And1: 26,035

Post#115 » by paulpressey25 » Mon Sep 29, 2014 4:52 pm

jimmybones wrote:I believe CHL's point(correct me if I'm wrong) is that it would be beneficial to sell because of the return you'd get via trade from guys that still have value.

That was his point after it was noted that we don't have to suck like in the NBA to get good players in the MLB draft. And it is an interesting and fair point. We could theoretically have sold everyone off at the deadline for prospects, but was that really an option in 2012 and now 2014? Both years the team had a shot at making the post-season if they actually had even just one or two hot weeks at the right time (2012 earlier in the summer and 2014 we just needed a hot 6-1 type week here at the end).

The question I've got though is what would we really get in return for trading all our guys away? Gomez and some of the pitchers could have brought stuff back, but those are also the type of players we need as a talent base. To me it is much easier to simply improve the entire farm system (and that may start with a new GM).

I readily admit I'm not as half as sharp as many of you on MLB topics. But I don't see an easy fix here because despite Melvin's mistakes, he's also not run the team into the ground like prior Brewer GM's did for a two-decade period. He has kept the team interesting and relevant during his tenure. It hasn't been a bad last 5-8 years as a Brewers fan. Firing Melvin could mean things get much, much worse if you don't hit on your hire
In depth discussions here - shorter stuff on Twitter

https://twitter.com/paulpressey25
Kerb Hohl
RealGM
And1: 4,171
Location: Hmmmm...how many 1sts would Jason Richardson cost...?

Post#116 » by Kerb Hohl » Mon Sep 29, 2014 4:56 pm

Melvin as the GM does have some responsibility for very, very high-level stuff in the drafting/scouting, but I think normally it is classified as two different worlds. Melvin could theoretically stay on and with an overhaul of the scouting department/drafting team they could change that.
trwi7
RealGM

Post#117 » by trwi7 » Mon Sep 29, 2014 5:51 pm

coolhandluke121 wrote:Braun is going to have that thumb surgery. Sounds like a complicated procedure with no guarantee of success.

It doesn't sound complicated at all. They said it can't make it worse and it's minimally invasive to the point that they were contemplating having it done when the Brewers were playing in Los Angeles.

They actually think it will work. Not to the point where he's 100%, but close to it.
stellation wrote:What's the difference between Gery Woelful and this glass of mineral water? The mineral water actually has a source."

coolhandluke121
RealGM

Post#118 » by coolhandluke121 » Mon Sep 29, 2014 5:54 pm

paulpressey25 wrote:
jimmybones wrote:I believe CHL's point(correct me if I'm wrong) is that it would be beneficial to sell because of the return you'd get via trade from guys that still have value.

That was his point after it was noted that we don't have to suck like in the NBA to get good players in the MLB draft. And it is an interesting and fair point. We could theoretically have sold everyone off at the deadline for prospects, but was that really an option in 2012 and now 2014? Both years the team had a shot at making the post-season if they actually had even just one or two hot weeks at the right time (2012 earlier in the summer and 2014 we just needed a hot 6-1 type week here at the end).

The question I've got though is what would we really get in return for trading all our guys away? Gomez and some of the pitchers could have brought stuff back, but those are also the type of players we need as a talent base. To me it is much easier to simply improve the entire farm system (and that may start with a new GM).

I readily admit I'm not as half as sharp as many of you on MLB topics. But I don't see an easy fix here because despite Melvin's mistakes, he's also not run the team into the ground like prior Brewer GM's did for a two-decade period. He has kept the team interesting and relevant during his tenure. It hasn't been a bad last 5-8 years as a Brewers fan. Firing Melvin could mean things get much, much worse if you don't hit on your hire

Right now, they wouldn't get much for trading away their guys. That ship has sailed. They have to go all-in one more time next season, more so than ever. Trade Lucroy and Gomez would be foolish, and it wouldn't be enough to start a meaningful rebuild anyway. Trade them next offseason at the earliest. That's a natural time to rebuild.

Regarding the question, when should they have made a decisive move to restock, I would say the first answer would be after the 2011 season. When you look at how many players had career years and stayed completely healthy in 2011, it's astounding. To go into the season counting on Marcum and Wolf after their late-season implosions in 2011, and to count on Weeks and Hart again after all their ups and downs (both had a history entire half-seasons hovering around .220 and both had slowed down dramatically in the field and on the basepaths, in part due to injury concerns), was example the kind of thing I'm talking about when I say they don't do a good job realistically assessing their talent level. Nyjer was a flash-in-the-pan, Hairston, Saito, and Hawkins were big losses, etc. They're basically a .500 team over the last 10 years, yet every year somehow they justify adding a Kyle Lohse here and an Aramis Ramirez there and continuing to chase wild cards. Which is okay in a vacuum, but far from ideal for a small market team because it's not sustainable. It leads to the kind of barren future we're looking at now. Was it worth it? I'd say it was okay. But I'd easily rather sacrifice some marginal present success for a chance at sustained future greatness, and I believe that's the opportunity they passed up.

I forgive them for that though. They added Ramirez to replace Prince, so it wasn't completely unreasonable, though I thought it was the perfect time to hit reset. What still irks the hell out of me is how they didn't trade more guys at the 2012 deadline when they traded Greinke. I guess a lot of guys had already plummeted to newfound depths. Then, like the Fear-The-Deer run, that little 2012 wild-card chase did more harm than good because they were encouraged and tried to retool again at the end of the season. I don't know what trade options were really available, but I definitely felt it was time to rebuild.

No doubt it's all a moot point if you don't hit on any draft picks, but the prospects you trade for can mitigate that.
coolhandluke121
RealGM

Post#119 » by coolhandluke121 » Mon Sep 29, 2014 5:56 pm

trwi7 wrote:
coolhandluke121 wrote:Braun is going to have that thumb surgery. Sounds like a complicated procedure with no guarantee of success.

It doesn't sound complicated at all. They said it can't make it worse and it's minimally invasive to the point that they were contemplating having it done when the Brewers were playing in Los Angeles.

They actually think it will work. Not to the point where he's 100%, but close to it.

I distinctly remember Braun saying he didn't do it last offseason because it was a relatively new procedure and they weren't even sure how well it would work. Maybe it's a little more of a known risk:reward ratio now, but I definitely remember him saying it wasn't an appealing option last offseason.
trwi7
RealGM

Post#120 » by trwi7 » Mon Sep 29, 2014 5:57 pm

This is a new option that they discovered during the season.

Return to Milwaukee Brewers