ImageImage

RR Retained - Page 8

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25, humanrefutation

msiris
RealGM
And1: 1,723

Re: Fire RR and Melvin 

Post#141 » by msiris » Wed Oct 1, 2014 9:56 pm

MickeyDavis wrote:I always liked the Earl Weaver type of manager, the kind who go out and kick dirt on the umpire. But with replay that really doesn't happen anymore anyway. Managers go out and make small talk while their guy in the booth looks at the replay and tells them whether to challenge or not. Boring.
The problem with the good old days was there was a lot of blown calls back then. Just too much money of the line and everything should be fair. Next thing they should do is somehow get a system where balls and strikes are called fairly. :D How accurate is the trackers they use?
Ride the tank
Thunder Muscle
RealGM
And1: 1,061

Post#142 » by Thunder Muscle » Thu Oct 2, 2014 2:54 am

trwi7 wrote:Yeah, we're going to be fighting the Reds for last place maybe as soon as next year.

The Cardinals are the Cardinals and the Pirates are turning into a mini Cardinals team. I actually think the Pirates are going to surpass the Cardinals in a couple of years. Huntington just gets it.

The Cubs have probably the best farm system in baseball and the money to spend on whatever they need in free agency to fill holes, something the other four teams in the division can't do.

The Reds had a ton of injuries this year. I actually think they'll be okay next year if Votto is healthy. The problem comes after next season when Cueto, Leake, Simon and Latos become free agents. Now I don't trust Simon at all but the other three are really good and they won't be able to keep all of them.

Then it's us. Lohse is old and only signed through next season. Gallardo's ERA looks good but he's shown decline for the second straight year and he's a free agent after the season along with Lohse. Ramirez is old and declining. Gennett is a platoon bat that they think is a regular player. Who knows what we have with Segura. 1st base is still a disaster. Nobody knows if Braun's thumb will be fixed. Gomez is a free agent in two years. Our farm system is the worst in the division.

Just looking at it objectively, there's not a lot to look forward to in the division. We're clearly at best the 3rd best team in the division, could be 4th or 5th depending on if the Reds keep their pitchers next year and if the Cubs decide to go out and sign a couple pitchers, say Lester and Shields or something.

I hate that Attanasio is terrified about attendance. Yes it will go down if the team loses. The thing is, you've shown you'll spend when you need to. You're not like Bud just cutting the payroll constantly. So take a couple down years, build up the farm system with higher draft picks and trades of veterans and then you can consider making a run in 2017. But no, next year we'll put together an 83-85 win team and hope some guys perform better than expected to push the team to 88-90 wins and hope nobody declines and maybe you can sneak into a wildcard spot. That is where the Bucks comparison comes from and it's an apt comparison.

Boom - agree with this. The thing with attendance is I think they've bought themselves a couple year grace period with the past 5-7 years of above average ball. I still think they get 2.5M fans or more the next year or so even if the team isn't good. You're still going to get your "tailgate" and "bus trip" fans in the summer and you'll have interest early for sure. Its not as high as it was a few years back, but there is still a certain trendiness with the Brewers. As trwi says, this team if left as is could be a disaster in a couple years when these guys leave and/or are past their primes --- and have no farm help to replace them. Why not bottom out now while you'll still get respectable attendance #s, and then be in position to possibly have a new crop of young talent in 2-3 years. It beats the alternative of being a middling wild card team, attendance slowly drops anyway, and then in 2-3 years be in **** out of talent & buried deep in the division.
coolhandluke121
RealGM
And1: 6,853

Post#143 » by coolhandluke121 » Fri Oct 3, 2014 1:06 am

Now that the disappointment of the collapse has abated a little, I'm looking back at the season and starting to feel better about next year. Sure, Gallardo, Garza, Lohse, and Peralta weren't going to continue to pitch like #2 starters all year. Lucroy and Gomez aren't really MVP-caliber players. Scooter is not going to be some top-5 OPS 2b, not even in the NL. So they were getting lucky there for a while. But even if everyone plays more to their career norms next season, it wouldn't take much to finish with a much better record. Get a manager who insists on playing the percentages a little more. Get a couple more left-handed bats. Get a 1b who's not terrible, or put Braun there. Get Henderson and Thornburg healthy. Get Segura's OPS over .650 or so. And remember that this season's collapse was probably more a mental thing than a total lack of talent. They could have easily won 90.
Wut we've got here is... faaailure... to communakate.
DanoMac
General Manager
And1: 3,744

Post#144 » by DanoMac » Tue Oct 7, 2014 1:16 pm

The longer this takes, the more I think RR stays. Don't like it one bit.
msiris
RealGM
And1: 1,723

Post#145 » by msiris » Wed Oct 8, 2014 7:14 pm

DanoMac wrote:The longer this takes, the more I think RR stays. Don't like it one bit.
If nothing happens I will not waste my time watching them unless they are in the hunt come Sept. :D
Ride the tank
kid idioteque
Analyst
And1: 2,542

Post#146 » by kid idioteque » Fri Oct 10, 2014 12:02 am

It's patently absurd that this coaching staff remains untouched, 10+ days after the season ended.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 45,498

Post#147 » by MickeyDavis » Fri Oct 10, 2014 11:48 am

The longer we wait the more I think RR comes back. They'll replace Narron and another coach or two and that will be it.
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM
And1: 4,172
Location: Hmmmm...how many 1sts would Jason Richardson cost...?

Post#148 » by Kerb Hohl » Fri Oct 10, 2014 12:30 pm

I think Roenicke is bad strategical manager but if he stays and they're trying to win next year, they can win with him. Just look at the Royals winning in spite of Ned Yost. I'm not saying I'm happy to have him back but I'm not going to tune it out like I might in another sport.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#149 » by MickeyDavis » Fri Oct 10, 2014 7:53 pm

MickeyDavis wrote:The longer we wait the more I think RR comes back. They'll replace Narron and another coach or two and that will be it.

The Milwaukee Brewers announced Friday that manager Ron Roenicke will return next season despite the team's epic late-season collapse that knocked it from first place to completely out of the playoffs.

The news was not so good for two members of Roenicke's coaching staff, however. As expected, hitting coach Johnny Narron was dismissed, and the Brewers also decided not to retain first base coach Garth Iorg.

"Over the course of the last few weeks, we have evaluated the work of Ron and his coaches and believe that this is the best course of action to take," said general manager Doug Melvin. "We appreciate the work that Johnny and Garth did for us through the years, and moves like these are never easy to make.

"We have already started reviewing our player personnel and will continue to address the factors that led to our disappointing finish to the season."

The rest of the coaching staff returns: bench coach Jerry Narron, pitching coach Rick Kranitz, bullpen coach Lee Tunnell, third base coach Ed Sedar, outfield coach/assistant hitting coach John Shelby and coach Mike Guerrero.

Though already signed through the 2015 season with a club option for 2016, Roenicke's status as manager was thrown into question after the Brewers suffered a historic late-season collapse to fall out of the playoff race.

After leading the NL Central for 150 days, the Brewers won only nine of their final 31 games to finish in third place. They became only the fifth club in major-league history to lead a division for that length of time and not make the playoffs.

The main culprit in the dramatic meltdown was an offense that stopped generating runs. While going 9-17 in September, the Brewers scored 71 runs for a paltry average of 2.73 per game. They scored 0, 1 or 2 runs 17 times during the final 31-game slide.

With players slumping and/or battling injuries, Roenicke had only so many options in changing his batting order during that period. But his job in running the club still was put under considerable scrutiny by Melvin and team principal owner Mark Attanasio.

Melvin traveled to Los Angeles to meet with Attanasio before Roenicke was brought into the discussions. Melvin said he wanted to take the emotion out of the team's collapse before any decisions were made regarding Roenicke and his coaching staff.

The Brewers finished with an 82-80 record, the third winning record in Roenicke's four years as manager. Pittsburgh and San Francisco claimed the NL wild-card berths with identical 88-74 records.

In Roenicke's rookie managerial season in 2011, the Brewers went on a second-half tear to win their only NL Central crown and finish with 96 victories, a franchise record.

That team won the NLDS in a tense five-game series with Arizona, the Brewers' first post-season series triumph since 1982. The Brewers were eliminated in the NLCS in six games by division rival St. Louis, which went on to win the World Series.

In 2012, the Brewers struggled throughout much of the season before catching fire late and climbing into the wild-card race. They were eliminated from playoff contention in the final week and finished with an 83-79 record.

A horrendous 6-22 May in 2013 knocked the Brewers out of the division race at an early juncture. That team continued to play hard until the end, however, finishing at 74-88.

Unheralded entering the 2014 season, the Brewers surprised everybody by bolting to a 20-7 start despite a difficult early schedule. They hit their first major skid entering the all-star break, losing 11 of 13 games but remaining in first place in the division.

Despite going through more ups and downs, the Brewers were 73-58 after winning, 10-1, in San Diego on Aug. 25, holding a 1 ½ game lead over St. Louis and six games over Pittsburgh. But they lost their next nine games in a skid that extended to 3-16 and finally 9-22 over the final 31 games.
WiscSports1
Bench Warmer
And1: 499

Re: RR Retained - Page 8 

Post#150 » by WiscSports1 » Fri Oct 10, 2014 8:20 pm

Can you say lame duck.....?
tbirdblue
Ballboy
And1: 8

Post#151 » by tbirdblue » Fri Oct 10, 2014 8:23 pm

So now that Ron is staying, what players do you think might be next on the block??
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#152 » by MickeyDavis » Fri Oct 10, 2014 8:23 pm

Yeah I'm assuming he doesn't get an extension of any kind
DanoMac
General Manager
And1: 3,744

Post#153 » by DanoMac » Fri Oct 10, 2014 8:29 pm

Fire a base coach and hold him accountable for a team's collapse. Yeah, OK. Get a **** clue.
SeaLORD_0318
Senior
And1: 185

Post#154 » by SeaLORD_0318 » Fri Oct 10, 2014 8:39 pm

Other then the typical stuff when a runner is at first/second what is a first base coach responsible for? What do they do during preseason training and such?
"Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser."

Vince Lombardi
coolhandluke121
RealGM
And1: 6,853

Post#155 » by coolhandluke121 » Fri Oct 10, 2014 8:53 pm

What. The. ****. They didn't even fire the right base coach.
Wut we've got here is... faaailure... to communakate.
glenn
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,151

Post#156 » by glenn » Fri Oct 10, 2014 9:04 pm

:reporter:
trwi7
RealGM
And1: 26,396

Post#157 » by trwi7 » Fri Oct 10, 2014 9:08 pm

Nothing is ever going to change as long as Attanasio keeps his philosophy and keeps Melvin. RRR would just be a scapegoat to placate the fans that really wouldn't have done anything had he been fired.
stellation wrote:What's the difference between Gery Woelful and this glass of mineral water? The mineral water actually has a source."

I Hate Manure wrote:We look to be awful next season without Beasley.
BUCKnation
RealGM
And1: 2,957

Post#158 » by BUCKnation » Fri Oct 10, 2014 9:40 pm

Ugh
NeedsMoreCheese
RealGM
And1: 8,369

Post#159 » by NeedsMoreCheese » Fri Oct 10, 2014 9:51 pm

SeaLORD_0318 wrote:Other then the typical stuff when a runner is at first/second what is a first base coach responsible for? What do they do during preseason training and such?

I recall them saying and seeing a bit that he was in charge or at least heavily involved in the defensive shifts
jr lucosa
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,151

Post#160 » by jr lucosa » Sat Oct 11, 2014 2:19 am

Lol man **** this team.

Return to Milwaukee Brewers