Gomez NOT traded to Mets for Wheeler, Flores

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25, humanrefutation

Iheartfootball
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,178

Re: Gomez NOT traded to Mets for Wheeler, Flores 

Post#121 » by Iheartfootball » Thu Jul 30, 2015 6:11 pm

trwi7 wrote:
Iheartfootball wrote:Wow, f'you Alderson. 'You won't take any of our salaries on? Fine, we don't like Gomez's hip.'

Trying to bully Dougie Fresh. Puh-leeze!

It wasn't Alderson, it was the Wilpons.

I'm sure Alderson thought he was trading for a reasonable salary and then the Wilpons probably looked up his salary and that's when they told him it was too much and to try to trade Lagares or get an extra asset from us to make up for the salary. We thankfully balked at that.

I spose, Alderson isn't the money man. Either way I'm bummed. I'm sure Doug has more irons in the fire but probably nothing as exciting as this trade would have been.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,664

Post#122 » by WeekapaugGroove » Thu Jul 30, 2015 7:46 pm

Mets definitely nixed the deal. Currious who leaked it to the media because it sure looked like the Mets leaked the deal was done and if that's the case it shows they have some internal issues and are not on the same page. It's not like gomez went to NY and failed a pysical so any of that info should have been exchanged before the deal went public. Definitely not a good situation for the Brewers and screw the Mets I'll be rooting against them.
coolhandluke121
RealGM
And1: 6,847

Post#123 » by coolhandluke121 » Thu Jul 30, 2015 9:07 pm

Kerb Hohl wrote:
There was one concern I had - that they seemed to be targeting a mostly MLB ready 3B because, "we have to have a 3B."

I'll bet money that's the case. I've been saying since early May, when they were at a low point and everyone thought the team was horrible, that they are very unlikely to give up on next season. I still say they're counting their dollars and they have a list of every single free agent posted in huge letters in their "war room" so they can make sure they'll have enough spare change to fill a few needs with players the caliber of Freese, Rasmus, and/or Parra.
Wut we've got here is... faaailure... to communakate.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM
And1: 4,172
Location: Hmmmm...how many 1sts would Jason Richardson cost...?

Post#124 » by Kerb Hohl » Thu Jul 30, 2015 9:10 pm

coolhandluke121 wrote:
Kerb Hohl wrote:
There was one concern I had - that they seemed to be targeting a mostly MLB ready 3B because, "we have to have a 3B."

I'll bet money that's the case. I've been saying since early May, when they were at a low point and everyone thought the team was horrible, that they are very unlikely to give up on next season. I still say they're counting their dollars and they have a list of every single free agent posted in huge letters in their "war room" so they can make sure they'll have enough spare change to fill a few needs with players the caliber of Freese, Rasmus, and/or Parra.

Well it could be for one of two purposes:

1. They are going to "go for it" again next year and need said 3B. Clearly we know they suck and shouldn't do this.

2. They think (a la Haudricourt) that you must have someone, either MLB-ready prospect or veteran you've owned slotted into a position at all times, even in rebuilding times. I've heard teams/media wonks discuss this. Of course, nobody remembers/cares who was the stopgap LF or 3B for the Astros last year.
coolhandluke121
RealGM
And1: 6,847

Post#125 » by coolhandluke121 » Thu Jul 30, 2015 10:26 pm

Gomez's medical records contributed to the Mets-Brewers trade breaking down, according to multiple reports. To that he said: "I don't have any (physical) problem. I've been playing. I feel sexy."
Wut we've got here is... faaailure... to communakate.

Return to Milwaukee Brewers