ImageImage

Gomez NOT traded to Mets for Wheeler, Flores

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25, humanrefutation

Kerb Hohl
RealGM
And1: 4,166
Location: Hmmmm...how many 1sts would Jason Richardson cost...?

Gomez traded to Mets for Wheeler, Flores 

Post#81 » by Kerb Hohl » Thu Jul 30, 2015 4:38 am

Tuxedo38 wrote:I find it odd that one team is trading a player who just underwent TJ surgery and they nix a deal for a player who is currently playing because of a hip issue. I could be wrong, but that really sounds like they're trying to save face and preserve the value of their own trade chip.

I will open this by saying that I still believe the Brewers nixed it.

That said, the Mets need their player now. If Gomez has an injury that's going to hamper him the rest of the year, the Mets could go and get Upton, CarGo, or Bruce instead.

The Brewers were openly admitting to punting 2015 and maybe 2016 and also admitting that they're ok with taking damaged goods by even involving themselves for Wheeler.

It's still quite possible that Wheeler's medicals were worse than they had thought and that caused the exit, but I don't think your reasoning checks out there.
Bernman
RealGM
And1: 5,473

Re: Gomez traded to Mets for Wheeler, Flores 

Post#82 » by Bernman » Thu Jul 30, 2015 4:46 am

But Gogo is playing now.

Yeah, the Brewers were interested in a Tommy Johnny, but normally the prognosis is good for them, and they aren't privy to the medicals at the beginning of the process.

Obviously someone is lying to protect values/players, and whoever it is should be dealt with punitively. That goes for if it was us too. Someone is effing with the other's money now.
"TRADE GIANNIS" - Magic Giannison
OnWISports
Freshman
And1: 2

Post#83 » by OnWISports » Thu Jul 30, 2015 4:49 am

If there was a major issue with Gomez wouldn't the Brewers have shut him down by now? They would gain nothing by running him into the ground. Still could trade him in the off season.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM

Post#84 » by Kerb Hohl » Thu Jul 30, 2015 4:49 am

Bernman wrote:But Gogo is playing now.

Yeah, the Brewers were interested in a Tommy Johnny, but normally the prognosis is good for them, and they aren't privy to the medicals at the beginning of the process.

Obviously someone is lying to protect values/players, and whoever it is should be dealt with punitively. That goes for if it was us too. Someone is effing with the other's money now.

He's playing now but even Melvin just admitted he's been bothered for awhile by it.

It could be extremely minor or fairly bad. His numbers aren't great right now. Who knows if the Mets were justified to do this or they are overreacting if it was really them.

In terms of the lying, Melvin is taking the high road by at least not commenting on the specifics. Anderson hasn't either, but somehow something "leaked" that they weren't OK with Gomez. I think as it stands the Brewers are getting screwed worse.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM

Post#85 » by Kerb Hohl » Thu Jul 30, 2015 4:50 am

OnWISports wrote:If there was a major issue with Gomez wouldn't the Brewers have shut him down by now? They would gain nothing by running him into the ground. Still could trade him in the off season.

I'd imagine that maybe they will shut him down later in the year if they don't trade him and it only requires minor work.

Gomez always wants to play through it and maybe the Brewers don't think it's too bad, so they assumed he's OK to play and also to be traded.
chuckleslove
RealGM
And1: 1,128

Post#86 » by chuckleslove » Thu Jul 30, 2015 4:51 am

It is possible even if unlikely that both teams pulled back after seeing detailed medical records
I'm dealing with cancer, it sucks, can follow along for updates if that's your thing: Chuck's cancer Go Fund Me page
Bernman
RealGM

Post#87 » by Bernman » Thu Jul 30, 2015 5:00 am

Kerb Hohl wrote:
Bernman wrote:But Gogo is playing now.

He's playing now but even Melvin just admitted he's been bothered for awhile by it.

It could be extremely minor or fairly bad. His numbers aren't great right now. Who knows if the Mets were justified to do this or they are overreacting if it was really them.

In terms of the lying, Melvin is taking the high road by at least not commenting on the specifics. Anderson hasn't either, but somehow something "leaked" that they weren't OK with Gomez. I think as it stands the Brewers are getting screwed worse.

I don't doubt there is an injury there technically to allow them to argue that was the reason. Most players have an injury that you could do that with. But with one on the DL and the other playing, which has better odds?

I'd also reiterate this wouldn't seem in Doug's or Mark's character. The manager is to an extent an extension of the GM/owner, and Counsell is a straight shooter. The one before him RR was Mr. nice guy. But listen to the Mets' manager Collins. He refused to show any accountability and was spinning in the process in his post-game presser. I don't know much about Alderson, but I listened to an interview with him and he certainly wasn't an aw shucks Doug Melvin-type. Just on a comparative character reading, I think that increases the odds it was the Mets.

The Brewers would definitely be getting screwed worse because there's more impetus for them to trade Gomez than there is for the Mets to trade for him or using those specific players.
Bernman
RealGM

Post#88 » by Bernman » Thu Jul 30, 2015 5:01 am

chuckleslove wrote:It is possible even if unlikely that both teams pulled back after seeing detailed medical records

Only one can withdraw first, the other is just face saving. They had, at minimum, a verbal agreement already.
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 13,939

Post#89 » by humanrefutation » Thu Jul 30, 2015 5:05 am

Yeah, I don't believe the report that it was Gomez's physical that nixed the deal. That's obvious bullsh**.
Tuxedo38
Sophomore
And1: 107

Post#90 » by Tuxedo38 » Thu Jul 30, 2015 5:10 am

[tweet]https://twitter.com/Haudricourt/status/626620030013308928[/tweet]
El Duderino
RealGM
And1: 1,324

Post#91 » by El Duderino » Thu Jul 30, 2015 5:38 am

Scott Boras: “Carlos Gomez has never seen a hip doctor and has never had a hip issue in his playing career. Anyone who suggests that is ……inaccurate and baldly misrepresenting the truth of the player’s condition.
blazza18
RealGM
And1: 26,562

Post#92 » by blazza18 » Thu Jul 30, 2015 7:48 am

Didn't Gomez get it checked not too long ago and everything was sweet ?
Baddy Chuck wrote:I want to win but I also love chaos.
Thunder Muscle
RealGM
And1: 1,059

Post#93 » by Thunder Muscle » Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:52 am

What a bizarre set of events. Curious what the next 24-48 hours brings....
M-C-G
RealGM
And1: 9,365

Post#94 » by M-C-G » Thu Jul 30, 2015 1:32 pm

Well, on the bright side, maybe a few other teams jump in now that they know the type of deal we are looking for? Who knows...I still think a deal could get done between the two teams.
sidney lanier
Head Coach
And1: 9,946

Post#95 » by sidney lanier » Thu Jul 30, 2015 1:47 pm

blazza18 wrote:Didn't Gomez get it checked not too long ago and everything was sweet ?

Yes, they said he had an MRI about a month ago and it showed no structural damage.

By Adam McCalvy / MLB.com

MILWAUKEE -- Seeking to rule out the possibility of a structural injury, Carlos Gomez and the Brewers received some peace of mind on Tuesday after the outfielder underwent an MRI on his bothersome right hip.

"Everything was fine," manager Craig Counsell said. "The plan was to give him these two days [Gomez was out of the starting lineup for a second straight game on Tuesday], then see how we are [Wednesday]. That's kind of the plan we talked about, and that's what we're doing."

Gomez has been bothered for much of this season by pain in his right hip flexor, and he also has complained of groin discomfort. Rather than have him play through the issue in a diminished state, Counsell and the Brewers' medical staff devised the plan to give Gomez several days off, hoping he'll reemerge closer to full speed.

The designated hitter is available on Wednesday and Thursday in Kansas City, though Counsell did not reveal his plan for that spot.
"Most important is how he feels, but [the MRI] gives you peace of mind," Counsell said, adding, "I think a lot of this is Carlos is a '100 percent player.' He is. We all know that. He doesn't -- It's hard for some guys, it's hard for him to play at 70, 80 percent. It's now how he's played his whole life. When you're that player and you need to play at that speed, you want to be sure that you're not going to hurt yourself. I think that's where he's at."

Gomez, an All-Star each of the past two seasons, entered Tuesday hitting .270/.309/.433 with only six stolen bases -- down across the board from 2013 and '14. Besides his contributions on the field, a healthy Gomez would better position the Brewers to plan for the upcoming non-waiver Trade Deadline.
"The Bucks in six always. That's for the culture." -- B. Jennings
dbrodz7
Sixth Man
And1: 1,224

Post#96 » by dbrodz7 » Thu Jul 30, 2015 1:48 pm

What the hell is Melvin doing if the Cardinals are giving up players like Kaminsky for guys as bad as Brandon Moss http://www.rotoworld.com/player/mlb/435/brandon-moss
Misery loves company
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,950

Post#97 » by ReasonablySober » Thu Jul 30, 2015 1:51 pm

The Brewers got completely screwed last night.
Sky Bucks
Sixth Man
And1: 1,357

Post#98 » by Sky Bucks » Thu Jul 30, 2015 2:11 pm

dbrodz7 wrote:What the hell is Melvin doing if the Cardinals are giving up players like Kaminsky for guys as bad as Brandon Moss http://www.rotoworld.com/player/mlb/435/brandon-moss

There goes the one team interested in Lind...ugh
#Make'em Believe On Wisconsin
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 13,939

Post#99 » by humanrefutation » Thu Jul 30, 2015 2:21 pm

We'll see what happens by Friday. FWIW, I still believe Wheeler's physical was problematic.

I feel very confident in saying that Rosenthal's source is Alderson himself. I'd be glad to explain my logic there, but let's just assume for the sake of argument that this is true.

Alderson has significant incentive to portray it as an issue with Gomez's physical. If it was Wheeler's, that would significantly limit his trade value and cause their fans to grumble about Wheeler for the foreseeable future until he came back strong. Alderson would get hounded about this. Anytime he'd mention Wheeler coming back, he'd have to answer an assortment of questions about his TJ surgery.

With the Brewers, it seems unlikely that Gomez's hip would nix the deal. First, Gomez is currently playing (if he was out and/or on the DL, that'd be a different problem). Second, the Mets are looking at Gomez for the stretch run and 2016. If they had long term concerns about his hip degenerating, that would be a problem for 2017 contract negotiations, not a problem for the 2015 playoff run. Alderson and the Mets are looking to make a run right now. Third, Wheeler isn't currently playing, so even if they believed Gomez might not be 100%, having Gomez at 80 or 90% for a team competing for the playoffs is still better than having a pitcher who won't be able to contribute for at least another year.

So, I'm not buying it. Alderson is full of ****. We'll see what this team gets for Gomez by Friday.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM

Re: Gomez NOT traded to Mets for Wheeler, Flores 

Post#100 » by Kerb Hohl » Thu Jul 30, 2015 2:28 pm

humanrefutation wrote:We'll see what happens by Friday. FWIW, I still believe Wheeler's physical was problematic.

I feel very confident in saying that Rosenthal's source is Alderson himself. I'd be glad to explain my logic there, but let's just assume for the sake of argument that this is true.

Alderson has significant incentive to portray it as an issue with Gomez's physical. If it was Wheeler's, that would significantly limit his trade value and cause their fans to grumble about Wheeler for the foreseeable future until he came back strong. Alderson would get hounded about this. Anytime he'd mention Wheeler coming back, he'd have to answer an assortment of questions about his TJ surgery.

With the Brewers, it seems unlikely that Gomez's hip would nix the deal. First, Gomez is currently playing (if he was out and/or on the DL, that'd be a different problem). Second, the Mets are looking at Gomez for the stretch run and 2016. If they had long term concerns about his hip degenerating, that would be a problem for 2017 contract negotiations, not a problem for the 2015 playoff run. Alderson and the Mets are looking to make a run right now. Third, Wheeler isn't currently playing, so even if they believed Gomez might not be 100%, having Gomez at 80 or 90% for a team competing for the playoffs is still better than having a pitcher who won't be able to contribute for at least another year.

So, I'm not buying it. Alderson is full of ****. We'll see what this team gets for Gomez by Friday.

I dunno - unless everyone is just running off of one source, seems like every media outlet is going with Gomez's physical being the one.

EDIT: Joel Sherman is saying that Melvin confirms it was the Mets that backed out. Says there is nothing wrong with his hip but Mets were cautious due to money.

humanrefutation wrote:Third, Wheeler isn't currently playing, so even if they believed Gomez might not be 100%, having Gomez at 80 or 90% for a team competing for the playoffs is still better than having a pitcher who won't be able to contribute for at least another year.

The problem with this is that there are several other players out there of Gomez's ilk. It's a dick move, but they could have backed out and can try to take Bruce, Carlos Gonzalez, or Upton if they didn't like it for whatever reason at the last minute.

Return to Milwaukee Brewers