ImageImage

Parra to the Orioles for Davies

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25, humanrefutation

MikeIsGood
RealGM
And1: 9,669

Re: Parra to the Orioles for Davies 

Post#21 » by MikeIsGood » Fri Jul 31, 2015 3:46 pm

Happy with it from what I have read. It's not overwhelming, and not as exciting as last night's deal, but seems like a good deal.
Turk Nowitzki
RealGM
And1: 9,885

Post#22 » by Turk Nowitzki » Fri Jul 31, 2015 4:06 pm

This seems fine. I'm sure Melvin was trying to hold out for more but obviously had to decide whether to pull the trigger on this offer.
LUKE23
RealGM
And1: 6,239

Post#23 » by LUKE23 » Fri Jul 31, 2015 4:37 pm

Davies slotted as the Brewers #11 prospect, right behind Medeiros, per McCalvy.
Bernman
RealGM
And1: 5,473

Post#24 » by Bernman » Fri Jul 31, 2015 6:26 pm

It looks like an OK deal. For one of the better overall position players in the national league this season you'd think we could get a prospect who is performing and has good potential or two prospects with a realistic chance. But this guy is performing, and while he doesn't have particularly good stuff, he throws an array of pitches, controls the ball well, changes speeds, and hides it. So he could overcome to become a middle of the rotation guy, low 2 to high 4.

He and a bunch of the other guys should be showcasing themselves at the major league level at the end of this year. Possibly part of the impetus for trading for this particular set of players, good or bad. Still get the sense that Mark wants to win next year, and is non individual player meddling, less extreme Kohl type.
"TRADE GIANNIS" - Magic Giannison
Bernman
RealGM

Post#25 » by Bernman » Fri Jul 31, 2015 6:51 pm

LUKE23 wrote:Davies slotted as the Brewers #11 prospect, right behind Medeiros, per McCalvy.

That list is pretty biased toward the existing prospects in the system. There are multiple guys with the same scouting grade and worse production higher on the list than Davies and Hader. Hader was #14 in the O's system, now he's 15 in ours. They had a considerably better system. Davies belongs at about 7, Hader top 10. In fact Hader might be getting REALLY underrated here because he's toolsy and productive.
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 14,015

Post#26 » by humanrefutation » Fri Jul 31, 2015 8:16 pm

Davies was like the 4th ranked prospect in the Orioles organization before he got shipped here. Now he's the 11th ranked prospect in ours.

I don't know if that says that the Orioles have a crappy farm system or that ours is much deeper?
wichmae
RealGM
And1: 1,031

Post#27 » by wichmae » Fri Jul 31, 2015 8:31 pm

Bernman wrote:
LUKE23 wrote:Davies slotted as the Brewers #11 prospect, right behind Medeiros, per McCalvy.

That list is pretty biased toward the existing prospects in the system. There are multiple guys with the same scouting grade and worse production higher on the list than Davies and Hader. Hader was #14 in the O's system, now he's 15 in ours. They had a considerably better system. Davies belongs at about 7, Hader top 10. In fact Hader might be getting REALLY underrated here because he's toolsy and productive.

The guys who write the MLB pipeline ranking take position projection into account as well. Hader by some projects as a LH reliever which would hold less organizational value than someone who is an every day offensive player. This is why you usually only see the #1-3 starter projection prospects make decent rankings, and why average tools offensive players may rank higher.

Thats why its important to have a couple lists to reference. Though I almost side entirely with what Callis believes.
El Duderino
RealGM
And1: 1,324

Post#28 » by El Duderino » Fri Jul 31, 2015 8:32 pm

Bernman wrote:It looks like an OK deal. For one of the better overall position players in the national league this season you'd think we could get a prospect who is performing and has good potential or two prospects with a realistic chance.

Parra is only a 2 month rental and playing way above his career norms, so i'm fine with the return. I wasn't expecting some sort of hard throwing really highly thought of pitching prospect for two months of Parra.
wichmae
RealGM

Post#29 » by wichmae » Fri Jul 31, 2015 8:33 pm

humanrefutation wrote:Davies was like the 4th ranked prospect in the Orioles organization before he got shipped here. Now he's the 11th ranked prospect in ours.

I don't know if that says that the Orioles have a crappy farm system or that ours is much deeper?

Baltimore's system isnt very good outside of the top 2. Stewart was a recent draftee.
Dcebucks11
Banned User
And1: 850

Post#30 » by Dcebucks11 » Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:16 pm

The Return doesn't excite me but i probably should of expected that type of return for a rental on a career year.. Sounds like Melvin really likes this guy.
Bernman
RealGM

Post#31 » by Bernman » Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:48 pm

El Duderino wrote:
Bernman wrote:It looks like an OK deal. For one of the better overall position players in the national league this season you'd think we could get a prospect who is performing and has good potential or two prospects with a realistic chance.

Parra is only a 2 month rental and playing way above his career norms, so i'm fine with the return. I wasn't expecting some sort of hard throwing really highly thought of pitching prospect for two months of Parra.

I wasn't expecting some Mark Prior or Stephen Strasbourg (although shows you the volatility of pitching prospects) either, but just a top 5 prospect in a decent system, who'd have a good chance of making an impact long-term. If Parra keeps playing like he has he can help put you over the top to make the playoffs or win a playoff game or two if you hang around long enough. That's an impact. We scratch your back, you scratch ours.

I don't think we got what we could out of Parra or Ramirez (thought some team should have picked up a good majority of the salary for a clutch, 2nd half player). But good with what Gomez/Fiers fetched, and really liked the Broxton trade. Factoring in direction, not dealing K-Rod or Lind, I give the Brewers a C for their trade deadline performance.
Bernman
RealGM

Post#32 » by Bernman » Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:00 pm

wichmae wrote:The guys who write the MLB pipeline ranking take position projection into account as well. Hader by some projects as a LH reliever which would hold less organizational value than someone who is an every day offensive player. This is why you usually only see the #1-3 starter projection prospects make decent rankings, and why average tools offensive players may rank higher.

Thats why its important to have a couple lists to reference. Though I almost side entirely with what Callis believes.

Maybe they have Hader confused with Houser. Hader is actually succeeding, being named organizational pitcher of the year and whatnot, as mostly a starter. Sale was even a reliever the whole time coming up. You're a lefty whipping 96 mph fastballs from a 3/4 arm angle, with live secondary stuff, you even have #1 potential. Of course there's a good chance for anybody with a live arm that they can't control their pitches like Mark Rogers, but so far his walk rate isn't that high. I guess the things that could be giving pause are his slight frame and the fact that he didn't start out throwing this hard. But they should turn the page with the former, and plenty of guys overcome a slight frame. And in fact he can gain weight, that's an easy part.
wichmae
RealGM

Post#33 » by wichmae » Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:10 pm

Bernman wrote:
wichmae wrote:The guys who write the MLB pipeline ranking take position projection into account as well. Hader by some projects as a LH reliever which would hold less organizational value than someone who is an every day offensive player. This is why you usually only see the #1-3 starter projection prospects make decent rankings, and why average tools offensive players may rank higher.

Maybe they have Hader confused with Houser. Hader is actually succeeding, being named organizational pitcher of the year and whatnot, as mostly a starter. Sale was even a reliever the whole time coming up. You're a lefty whipping 96 mph fastballs from a 3/4 arm angle, with live secondary stuff, you even have #1 potential. Of course there's a good chance for anybody with a live arm that they can't control their pitches like Mark Rogers, but so far his walk rate isn't that high. I guess the things that could be giving pause are his slight frame and the fact that he didn't start out throwing this hard. But they should turn the page with the former, and plenty of guys overcome a slight frame. And in fact he can gain weight, that's an easy part.

He is succeeding so far no doubt. The SP/RP criticisms stem from him only really having one pitch. Hence why his prospect rankings are still a little laggy. Davies projection is a 4/5 and I think thats why he's so low. Williams, Medieros, and Lopez have better projections.

Return to Milwaukee Brewers