ImageImage

Post-GoGo/Fiers trade, where does our farm system stand?

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25, humanrefutation

InProblematique
Sophomore
And1: 48

Post-GoGo/Fiers trade, where does our farm system stand? 

Post#1 » by InProblematique » Fri Jul 31, 2015 6:26 am

Yo dudes, sorry if this is a redundant topic here. Feel free to merge. I'm a pretty massive Brewers fan. I live in Charlotte, NC, and I only get to go to MKE once, maybe twice a year, depending on my schedule.

I have, as I normally do, been following the Brew Crew diligently. That said, the past couple of seasons, my knowledge of our farm system has become extremely basic. I devoted a lot of attention to my Charlotte area teams (I live within minutes of the Hornets and the Panthers, and I'm a block away from the Charlotte Knights (the White Sox AAA affiliate, who have the best ballpark in the minors), so unfortunately, I've fallen a bit behind on the farm systems for both the Brew Crew and the Hurricanes.

That said, I have followed the Brewers extensively this season, so I know what we were getting with GoGo and Fiers. I have been a fan of the Brewers since 1998. I lived in Virginia at the time, but we were visiting friends in Indiana, and the first team I ever saw was the Brewers at MCS.

Basically, I just want to know from the people who have been able to follow baseball so extensively to the point where they know enough about the minors to tell me whether or not this trade was worth it. Fiers was on a team-friendly deal, and I even wrote an article on Bleacher Report two years ago about the dominance of his curveball. GoGo is also on a team-friendly deal, even after you account for injuries.

Did we take in enough talent to justify this trade in a long-tern rebuild? I've read quite a bit about Phillips, due to the fact that he was not only a highly regarded prospect in Houston's system, but also because he was highly regarded amongst national scouts. More or less the same for Santiago.

I don't know much about any of these prospects. I know that Phillips has a considerable amount of pop for a hitter who hits for average, and will also be a plus defender in the MLB. So that seems like an even +/- trade for GoGo straight up. I also know that Santiago has huge upside in the power department, with platoon upside. Seems like he could be a pretty solid regular outfielder in the MLB.

What I'm asking is this: As better-educated Brewers fans, do you think we gained here? Was this the maximum we could've gotten for Fiers/GoGo? If not, what else could we have wormed out? I honestly feel like we came out on top here.
coolhandluke121
RealGM
And1: 6,848

Re: Post-GoGo/Fiers trade, where does our farm system stand? 

Post#2 » by coolhandluke121 » Fri Jul 31, 2015 12:16 pm

We have one thread where we're discussing the trade and another one about the minor league system. There's probably no need for another thread for this. Glad to have you aboard though.
Wut we've got here is... faaailure... to communakate.

Return to Milwaukee Brewers