Brewers Trade Segura and Wagner to Diamondbacks

Moderators: paulpressey25, MickeyDavis, humanrefutation

humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 13,884

Brewers Trade Segura and Wagner to Diamondbacks 

Post#1 » by humanrefutation » Sat Jan 30, 2016 11:44 pm

The Brewers have traded SS Jean Segura and RHP Tyler Wagner to Diamondbacks for RHP Chase Anderson, 2B/3B Aaron Hill, SS Isan Diaz and cash. 
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Re: Brewers Trade Segura and Wagner to Diamondbacks 

Post#2 » by humanrefutation » Sat Jan 30, 2016 11:47 pm

http://m.mlb.com/news/article/163255066/brewers-d-backs-complete-5-player-trade

By Adam McCalvy / MLB.com

MILWAUKEE -- The Brewers and D-backs made a Saturday splash with a five-player trade that sent shortstop Jean Segura and Southern League ERA champ Tyler Wagner to Arizona for right-hander Chase Anderson, infielder Aaron Hill and Minor League shortstop Isan Diaz.

The Brewers also received cash in the deal, presumably to cover some of the $12 million due to Hill in the final season of the veteran's three-year contract.

It remains to be seen how the two most established players in the trade -- Segura and Hill -- fit with their new clubs. Segura's best fit is up the middle, but the D-backs have young players at shortstop (Nick Ahmed) and second base (Chris Owings). Hill has primarily manned second base, where Milwaukee's Scooter Gennett has started most of the past two seasons.

Segura came to the Brewers from the Angels as part of a July 2012 trade for Zack Greinke and broke out the following year by batting .325 in the first half and making the National League All-Star team. But Segura has done little at the plate since then, posting a .252/.285/.331 slash line over the past two seasons. He turns 26 on March 17.

By trading Segura, rookie GM David Stearns continued Milwaukee's recent sell-off. Since July, the Brewers have traded away nine players in eight trades that fit the "players for prospects" model. In order, they are Aramis Ramirez, Carlos Gomez, Mike Fiers, Jonathan Broxton, Gerardo Parra, Francisco Rodriguez, Adam Lind, Jason Rogers and Segura. The team also traded Neal Cotts for financial flexibility in that span.

"In Chase Anderson and Aaron Hill, we are adding two proven Major League contributors who will impact our team this year," Stearns said in a statement. "Chase is a young starting pitcher who has already enjoyed success at the Major League level. Aaron has a long history of production and positional versatility."

Hill will be 34 on March 21 and is entering his 12th big league season. He's a career .268/.323/.423 hitter for the Blue Jays and D-backs, and he split time between second base and third base last season.

Hill is a career .429 (18-for-42) hitter at Miller Park with four home runs and 11 RBIs in 10 games. He hit for the cycle against the Brewers on June 29, 2012.

Both teams received top-20 prospects in the trade; Wagner, 25, ranked No. 15 on MLBPipeline.com's list of the top Brewers prospects after he went 11-5 with a 2.25 ERA at Double-A Biloxi, and Diaz, 19, was No. 14 on Arizona's list after hitting .360 with a .436 on-base percentage, 13 home runs and 51 RBIs for Rookie-level Missoula. He was named the Pioneer League Most Valuable Player.

Anderson, 28, will slide into a Brewers starting rotation that also includes Wily Peralta, Jimmy Nelson, Taylor Jungmann, Matt Garza and Zach Davies. Anderson pitched in the Majors in each of the past two seasons, going 15-13 with a 4.18 ERA in 48 starts. He ranked 10th in NL Rookie of the Year Award balloting in 2014.
LittleRooster
General Manager
And1: 3,110

Post#3 » by LittleRooster » Sat Jan 30, 2016 11:47 pm

Love it. Lucroy is next
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 44,902

Post#4 » by MickeyDavis » Sat Jan 30, 2016 11:51 pm

Hate Aaron Hill but at least he's in the last year of his deal and Arizona is picking up a chunk of his contract ($12 million for Hill is a joke). I like Anderson
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks
And1: 25,840

Post#5 » by paulpressey25 » Sat Jan 30, 2016 11:51 pm

You baseball guys have to help me out here. We dealt for a 34yo and a 28yo?

Is the minor league prospect any good?
In depth discussions here - shorter stuff on Twitter

https://twitter.com/paulpressey25
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#6 » by humanrefutation » Sat Jan 30, 2016 11:52 pm

Seems that this is just selling Segura for a much younger SS prospect. Diaz is only 19.

ETA: Also paves the way for Arcia to move up to the majors soon.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#7 » by MickeyDavis » Sat Jan 30, 2016 11:52 pm

Hopefully someone takes Garza next
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#8 » by MickeyDavis » Sat Jan 30, 2016 11:53 pm

I wonder what the timetable is for Arcia. He's slated for Colorado Springs
trwi7
RealGM
And1: 26,313

Post#9 » by trwi7 » Sat Jan 30, 2016 11:55 pm

[tweet]https://twitter.com/JeffPassan/status/693580644610224128[/tweet]
stellation wrote:What's the difference between Gery Woelful and this glass of mineral water? The mineral water actually has a source."

I Hate Manure wrote:We look to be awful next season without Beasley.
Captain Erv
General Manager
And1: 78

Post#10 » by Captain Erv » Sat Jan 30, 2016 11:55 pm

I have a feeling he'll be up by June at the latest. They'll need something to try and keep the fans interested by that point.

MickeyDavis wrote:I wonder what the timetable is for Arcia. He's slated for Colorado Springs
Captain Erv
General Manager

Post#11 » by Captain Erv » Sat Jan 30, 2016 11:58 pm

paulpressey25 wrote:You baseball guys have to help me out here. We dealt for a 34yo and a 28yo?

I think Hill/Anderson and Sergura pretty much cancel each other out. Basically, Wagner for Diaz.
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks
And1: 25,840

Post#12 » by paulpressey25 » Sun Jan 31, 2016 12:01 am

Captain Erv wrote:
paulpressey25 wrote:You baseball guys have to help me out here. We dealt for a 34yo and a 28yo?

I think Hill/Anderson and Sergura pretty much cancel each other out. Basically, Wagner for Diaz.

Ok. So Diaz is the guy then.

Definitely going to be a tank season next year at Miller Park. I'm fine with it though.
In depth discussions here - shorter stuff on Twitter

https://twitter.com/paulpressey25
Captain Erv
General Manager

Post#13 » by Captain Erv » Sun Jan 31, 2016 12:06 am

I would defer to the guys who pay attention to prospects more than I do, but that's the sense that I get. Getting rid of Sergura was inevitable.
tski1972
Head Coach
And1: 3,588

Post#14 » by tski1972 » Sun Jan 31, 2016 12:11 am

at some point it would be nice to see a 1B or 3B prospect come back in return.
http://twitter.com/MarkIsOld

"Because of Giannis, the once lousy Bucks are back in the NBA conversation." - 60 Minutes
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#15 » by MickeyDavis » Sun Jan 31, 2016 12:16 am

Baseball prospects are so hit and miss so obviously it will be awhile to see how well Stearns has done since he took over. But he's certainly taking the right approach. If he could get rid of Braun, Lucroy and Garza before April I'd love it
trwi7
RealGM
And1: 26,313

Post#16 » by trwi7 » Sun Jan 31, 2016 12:16 am

tski1972 wrote:at some point it would be nice to see a 1B or 3B prospect come back in return.

Really couldn't care less about what position they play, as long as we get the best prospects available. Especially 1B. Why target a position so low on the defensive spectrum?
stellation wrote:What's the difference between Gery Woelful and this glass of mineral water? The mineral water actually has a source."

I Hate Manure wrote:We look to be awful next season without Beasley.
DanoMac
General Manager
And1: 3,729

Post#17 » by DanoMac » Sun Jan 31, 2016 12:39 am

Can't believe Segura turned down a long term deal from us. Thank God
wichmae
RealGM
And1: 1,031

Post#18 » by wichmae » Sun Jan 31, 2016 12:51 am

trwi7 wrote:
tski1972 wrote:at some point it would be nice to see a 1B or 3B prospect come back in return.

Really couldn't care less about what position they play, as long as we get the best prospects available. Especially 1B. Why target a position so low on the defensive spectrum?

Correct. Just keep acquiring guys with the impact talent and let the process sort it all out. Being position centric makes zero sense. The only position to honestly target would be C and SS. Players coming up often move positions to their permanent palce through the process. Diaz is by far the key here.
Wagner was a nice story but lets face it Wagner is 25 and his best case scenario is Chase Anderson. Hills salary or a portion of it is being paid by Arizona so that is what it is. He could rebound and play moderately effective and get flipped or be bought out and released if need be. The portion im assuming were on the hook for is most likely minimal. That leaves Diaz. The MVP of the Pioneer League. He hit .360/.436/.640 with 13 home runs and 12 stolen bases at 19 years old. He's most likely a 2nd baseman and was ranked the #9 guy from BP in Arizona's system. With how deep we are I doubt he's top 12 but he has really big upside. If he mashes again in his first full he will be on the radar.
Its a huge haul considering how terrible Segura has been. Anderson is the exact type of guy that always seems to be in commodity come deadline. I bet the second this went down Baltimore was calling us about a starter. Hopefully we can turn Peralta into Sisco or the take Garza from us.
wichmae
RealGM
And1: 1,031

Post#19 » by wichmae » Sun Jan 31, 2016 1:04 am

[tweet]https://twitter.com/DCameronFG/status/693586549800353792[/tweet]
DH34Phan
Lead Assistant
And1: 113

Post#20 » by DH34Phan » Sun Jan 31, 2016 1:06 am

Aaron Hill rakes at Miller Park. I remember he was on my fantasy team when he hit the cycle at MP. He will net us something at the trade deadline if he is performing well. His expiring contract makes him a low risk rental for a contender that needs a utility infielder. Hill should get plenty of playing time at 3B and SS until Arcia arrives. He probably is our best infielder at the moment.

Great deal overall. Segura has been, at best, an average shortstop the past 2 seasons. Getting a 19 year old SS prospect who was Pioneer League MVP for him is exciting. Diaz can develop behind Arcia in the organization.

Wagner for Anderson is pretty much a wash. Wagner is 3 years younger but Anderson probably is more talented.

I wish Segura good luck in Arizona. They have huge expectations this year and he could really revive his career with the opportunity of playing for a contender. Funny that Segura and Greinke are now teammates as they were traded for each other in 2012.

Return to Milwaukee Brewers