ImageImage

Brewer Game Thread: July 2016

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25, humanrefutation

Kerb Hohl
RealGM
And1: 4,169
Location: Hmmmm...how many 1sts would Jason Richardson cost...?

Post#101 » by Kerb Hohl » Wed Jul 27, 2016 3:39 am

trwi7 wrote:Dick holes. Start trading you **** pieces of ****. God this is the most annoying rebuild I've ever seen. Sign every **** mediocre vet, have them play over young guys that possibly have a future. Have them play decently enough to help give us a few extra wins but not well enough to trade them for anything meaningful.

**** **** Cock sucking **** dick chins.

Cool down, dude. You have no idea if any sort of serious offer was out there 2-3 weeks ago. Your terrible nightmare of maybe being 7th pick instead of 6th will all be at least cooled down in like 3 days when they sell.

If you think Stearns is trying to win games at all costs...you're insane. I'm 100% confident he's waiting out the best deal and he doesn't think he has it yet.

Edit: do you think Jonathan Lucroy has been the X-factor in our last 2 games that have been 5-run victories?
trwi7
RealGM
And1: 26,373

Re: Brewer Game Thread: July 2016 

Post#102 » by trwi7 » Wed Jul 27, 2016 3:44 am

I'm not going to cool down until trades happen because this is Wisconsin sports. Everything other than the Packers turns into a **** nightmare and I will continue to believe this will too until I'm shown otherwise.
stellation wrote:What's the difference between Gery Woelful and this glass of mineral water? The mineral water actually has a source."

I Hate Manure wrote:We look to be awful next season without Beasley.
Tfence92
Starter
And1: 435

Post#103 » by Tfence92 » Wed Jul 27, 2016 3:45 am

trwi7 wrote:
Tfence92 wrote:
trwi7 wrote:
And didn't play in 17 more games he was up. So of the games he's been up here, he's started a little over 40%.

Don't really care to look up the exact days of his promotions and demotions, but there are hardly 17 days he didn't play that he was up here, not including days the brewers didn't play.

Oh really?

http://espn.go.com/mlb/player/gamelog/_/id/30755/keon-broxton

This isn't hard to look up.

Fair enough... I never use espn cause their mobile site is even worse than REALGM.

46 games too many, regardless.
trwi7
RealGM

Post#104 » by trwi7 » Wed Jul 27, 2016 3:47 am

I use ESPN because Fox, Yahoo and CBS are just **** awful for getting stats, game logs and box scores.
stellation wrote:What's the difference between Gery Woelful and this glass of mineral water? The mineral water actually has a source."

Kerb Hohl
RealGM

Post#105 » by Kerb Hohl » Wed Jul 27, 2016 3:49 am

trwi7 wrote:I use ESPN because Fox, Yahoo and CBS are just **** awful for getting stats, game logs and box scores.

Baseball reference and Fangraphs >>>> those (a few things are better on ESPN, though).
Kerb Hohl
RealGM

Post#106 » by Kerb Hohl » Wed Jul 27, 2016 3:53 am

trwi7 wrote:I'm not going to cool down until trades happen because this is Wisconsin sports. Everything other than the Packers turns into a **** nightmare and I will continue to believe this will too until I'm shown otherwise.

They've shown us that they're trying to do the right thing since last trade deadline.

If he hasn't been traded, it means that Stearns doesn't think the right offer is there yet. You may disagree with that strategy, but I'm almost positive that Stearns isn't trying to "chase the 8 seed" like Herb. Even if he somehow isn't dealt, I will contend that Stearns really felt lowballed, but I don't think that will go over well I'm sure.

Point is, it's pretty clear that they're trying to do the right thing in their minds. We don't know what has been offered, so it's hard to judge. I can guarantee you that they aren't holding him simply to win a few more games before he's shipped out.

I'll agree that there's risk in holding on that he gets hurt. I hope he's gone tomorrow. We're getting close.
trwi7
RealGM

Post#107 » by trwi7 » Wed Jul 27, 2016 3:53 am

Kerb Hohl wrote:
trwi7 wrote:I use ESPN because Fox, Yahoo and CBS are just **** awful for getting stats, game logs and box scores.

Baseball reference and Fangraphs >>>> those (a few things are better on ESPN, though).

For quick stuff that isn't in depth. I'm not clicking through 50 things to look for a box score on BR or fangraphs.

ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,976

Post#108 » by ReasonablySober » Wed Jul 27, 2016 4:06 am

I don't mind holding onto Luc or the bullpen guys until the deadline. Sure, if a monster offer comes along I'm sure Stearns jumps on it. But unless that happens, wait until the bidding war gets going and there are only a few hours to get the best bat on the market.
trwi7
RealGM

Post#109 » by trwi7 » Wed Jul 27, 2016 4:14 am

ReasonablySober wrote:I don't mind holding onto Luc or the bullpen guys until the deadline. Sure, if a monster offer comes along I'm sure Stearns jumps on it. But unless that happens, wait until the bidding war gets going and there are only a few hours to get the best bat on the market.

The problem with that is they might fill their needs elsewhere. What if the Indians trade for Derek Norris, who while struggling this year would still be a pretty big improvement over what they have? What if they trade for say Boone Logan in Colorado? All of a sudden these suitors are going off the table and we're left holding the bag.

I'd rather trade these guys for 90 cents on the dollar now than risk waiting for that dollar for dollar deal and risk having to trade them for 75 cents on the dollar.

ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#110 » by ReasonablySober » Wed Jul 27, 2016 4:16 am

trwi7 wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:I don't mind holding onto Luc or the bullpen guys until the deadline. Sure, if a monster offer comes along I'm sure Stearns jumps on it. But unless that happens, wait until the bidding war gets going and there are only a few hours to get the best bat on the market.

The problem with that is they might fill their needs elsewhere. What if the Indians trade for Derek Norris, who while struggling this year would still be a pretty big improvement over what they have? What if they trade for say Boone Logan in Colorado? All of a sudden these suitors are going off the table and we're left holding the bag.

I'd rather trade these guys for 90 cents on the dollar now than risk waiting for that dollar for dollar deal and risk having to trade them for 75 cents on the dollar.

If Stearns is getting those kinds of offers, he's probably taking one. But he could be getting total dog-sh*t offers too. If that's the case, keep the guys and deal them in the offseason when there are more buyers.
Sky Bucks
Sixth Man
And1: 1,357

Post#111 » by Sky Bucks » Wed Jul 27, 2016 4:17 am

With Luc, I feel like you almost have to trade him before the deadline because it's always risky business with catchers and injuries. Luckily this season he hasn't had any injuries, but there is always that chance that one of those fluke injuries happen. I would rather Stearns take a B/B+ return than holding out for his perceived home run A+ deal that's in his head.

It would be a win win for everyone involved. Brewers get an influx of young talent to their good farm system, Lucroy gets to go to a contender to search for the title that he desires, and Lucroys new team would get him for potentially two playoff runs plus a comp draft pick if he would leave.

Mr. Stearns, you've been a very nice surprise as GM so far, but don't let a small difference in a return prevent you from pulling the trigger because all it takes is one play and our great trade asset could be nothing.
#Make'em Believe On Wisconsin
Kerb Hohl
RealGM

Post#112 » by Kerb Hohl » Wed Jul 27, 2016 4:19 am

trwi7 wrote:

The Indians, unlike the Padres when they acquired Norris understand platoon splits. I wouldn't take Norris unless he was given away to me. Norris is a good defensive catcher but I'm assuming that they already have one in their system.

Secondly, we don't know if Stearns is being offered 90 cents on the dollar. We have no clue. We've heard of one offer and it was for 15 cents on the dollar.
trwi7
RealGM

Post#113 » by trwi7 » Wed Jul 27, 2016 4:20 am

ReasonablySober wrote:
trwi7 wrote:

If Stearns is getting those kinds of offers, he's probably taking one. But he could be getting total dog-sh*t offers too. If that's the case, keep the guys and deal them in the offseason when there are more buyers.

Tell me all these extra suitors we're going to be getting in the offseason because I sure as **** don't see it.

ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#114 » by ReasonablySober » Wed Jul 27, 2016 4:22 am

trwi7 wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:
trwi7 wrote:

Tell me all these extra suitors we're going to be getting in the offseason because I sure as **** don't see it.

When are there ever not more suitors in the winter?
El Duderino
RealGM
And1: 1,324

Post#115 » by El Duderino » Wed Jul 27, 2016 4:22 am

The thing is, until a legit insider comes on this forum regarding the Brewers, anyone ranting that trades have yet to happen is just talking out of their assss because they don't have any clue what exactly Stearns has been offered for any of the players up to this point.

For whatever reason, pretty much every year before the trade deadline there will only be a couple of trades pre-the day before and day of the deadline when the majority of trades actually happen.

It's not just the sellers who hold off, it's also buyers wanting to check around with all potential sellers to try and get the best deals for themselves. I'll be very surprised if Stearns doesn't end up trading multiple players.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM

Post#116 » by Kerb Hohl » Wed Jul 27, 2016 4:25 am

trwi7 wrote:Tell me all these extra suitors we're going to be getting in the offseason because I sure as **** don't see it.

The first step is assessing risk to wait until somewhere closer to Aug 1 until you feel you get a suitable offer. If not, you have to weigh holding him past the deadline if you're being lowballed that badly.

I'd imagine that the group of suitors may be better, but again, it's all a calculation. If you're getting a package that you don't think is anywhere near Luc's value, you assess if it's worth it to keep waiting. I'd guess that that won't be the case and he's traded, but I don't know all of the details.
El Duderino
RealGM

Post#117 » by El Duderino » Wed Jul 27, 2016 4:26 am

trwi7 wrote:

Do you even know for sure that Cleveland has already made a very serious offer for Lucroy that was 90 cents on the dollar as you put it, but instead Stearns said no in waiting for a more perfect deal?
Kerb Hohl
RealGM

Post#118 » by Kerb Hohl » Wed Jul 27, 2016 4:29 am

El Duderino wrote:
trwi7 wrote:

Do you even know for sure that Cleveland has already made a very serious offer for Lucroy that was 90 cents on the dollar as you put it, but instead Stearns said no in waiting for a more perfect deal?

Should've just taken Travis d'arnaud str8 up imho. [/green font]
trwi7
RealGM

Post#119 » by trwi7 » Wed Jul 27, 2016 4:38 am

ReasonablySober wrote:
trwi7 wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:

When are there ever not more suitors in the winter?

Once again, if there are more, you should be able to name them pretty easily.

Let's look around.

Cubs - Contreras, not happening
Pirates - Cervelli is decent enough
Reds- Rebuilding, have Mesoraco
Cardinals - Molina, not happening

Nationals - Ramos is a free agent, so if he signs elsewhere, there's an extra suitor
Mets - Already interested
Braves - Already rumored to be interested
Marlins - Realmuto is good and they don't have the prospects even if they had the need
Phillies - Still rebuilding. Have Alfaro in the minors

Dodgers - Maybe but they seem like they need pitching more than a catcher
Giants - Posey
Diamondbacks - Castillo is decent, if they trade him maybe but do they have the prospects?
Rockies - Maybe? They seem in the sort of rebuild, sort of compete mode and would probably focus on pitching above all else
Padres - Have Vasquez, seem to be in rebuild mode

Yankees - Doubt it with McCann's contract
Red Sox - Already rumored to be interested
Orioles - Maybe if Wieters leaves but once again, don't have the prospects
Rays - Maybe but once again, they're bad and seem to be heading more towards rebuild than compete
Blue Jays - Not with Martin still under a big contract

Indians- Already interested
Tigers - Rumored to have some interest, don't have the farm system
White Sox - Avila is decent enough, don't have the prospects
Twins - Suzuki sucks but rebuilding
Royals - Perez, nope

Angels - Don't even know who their starting catcher is but their prospects are laughable
A's - Vogt is decent and if they trade him they're likely rebuilding
Mariners - Probably don't have the prospects
Rangers - Already interested
Astros - Already interested

So we have what, maybe three extra teams bidding in the offseason if you're really optimistic? And that's not even bringing up that Ramos and Wieters are free agents, so teams with a need will be going after them and only giving up a pick.

El Duderino
RealGM

Post#120 » by El Duderino » Wed Jul 27, 2016 5:01 am

Kerb Hohl wrote:
El Duderino wrote:

Should've just taken Travis d'arnaud str8 up imho. [/green font]

I've had concern for awhile now that there were a very limited number of potential landing spots for Lucroy.

A quality starting or relief pitcher will have a variety of suitors because most contending teams want to add pitching. Catcher though is the one position on the diamond where many teams are ok with having a very mediocre or even kinda crappy hitter so long as that guy is good defensively and the pitchers like throwing to him. Even more so if the rest of the offense is good as a whole.

Cleveland is the only team with quality enough prospects and a really strong need at catcher that i could see them feeling pretty desperate. Not that no other teams would have interest, but i don't see others who would feel terrible if the deadline passed without an upgrade there. Texas needs pitching as much as catcher. Boston already has an elite offense. Can't see the Astros making another big trade with the Brewers. The Mets farm system sucks.

Return to Milwaukee Brewers