ImageImage

2016 Trade Deadline Thread

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25, humanrefutation

wichmae
RealGM
And1: 1,031

Re: 2016 Trade Deadline Thread 

Post#1001 » by wichmae » Mon Sep 5, 2016 8:40 pm

Most concerning thing is allllllllll they players we need to add to the 40 to save from rule 5. Cordell is one of them.
wichmae
RealGM

2016 Trade Deadline Thread 

Post#1002 » by wichmae » Mon Sep 5, 2016 9:25 pm

Sounds like DS spoke and Cordell will rehab in Maryvale from his sprain and then go play instructional ball this winter. Those who have PM'd about comps I'll just post it here. He is quite a bit like Domingo on his offensive profile. More athletic than Santana but doesn't have the arm Domingo does. Has swing holes and it can get long. Has a good eye though. Needs better pitch recognition.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
jakecronus8
RealGM
And1: 7,275

Post#1003 » by jakecronus8 » Tue Sep 6, 2016 3:38 am

wichmae wrote:Most concerning thing is allllllllll they players we need to add to the 40 to save from rule 5. Cordell is one of them.

I'm pretty ignorant on this, but couldn't we release some of the jobbers on expiring deals before the season ends to make room?
Do it for Chuck
wichmae
RealGM

Post#1004 » by wichmae » Tue Sep 6, 2016 5:53 am

jakecronus8 wrote:
wichmae wrote:Most concerning thing is allllllllll they players we need to add to the 40 to save from rule 5. Cordell is one of them.

I'm pretty ignorant on this, but couldn't we release some of the jobbers on expiring deals before the season ends to make room?

The Rule 5 happens during the winter meetings after the WS. So usually what happens is teams DFA a boatload of the fringy guys like the Rowen's, Kirks, Scahills, and so on. Those guys usually either become free agents or another team claims them. Then guys like Brinson, Cordell, Coulter, Hader, and Wang get added to the 40 and life is grand.
jakecronus8
RealGM
And1: 7,275

Post#1005 » by jakecronus8 » Tue Sep 6, 2016 1:56 pm

wichmae wrote:
jakecronus8 wrote:

The Rule 5 happens during the winter meetings after the WS. So usually what happens is teams DFA a boatload of the fringy guys like the Rowen's, Kirks, Scahills, and so on. Those guys usually either become free agents or another team claims them. Then guys like Brinson, Cordell, Coulter, Hader, and Wang get added to the 40 and life is grand.

Always protect the Wang
Do it for Chuck
wichmae
RealGM

Post#1006 » by wichmae » Tue Sep 6, 2016 4:11 pm

Also guys like Capuano and Boyer become FA's at years end so there will be some spots opening up on that front.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,664

Post#1007 » by WeekapaugGroove » Tue Sep 6, 2016 4:42 pm

I think theres enough junk at the backend of the roster to open as many spots as they need for rule 5 protection. Now where it could get tricky is having enough spots open to actually have a mlb 25 man roster if they plan on having a bunch of these guys start next year in the minors. I wonder if they might look to do some consolidation type deals packaging a few midlevel prospects for a nicer piece, not the easiest thing to do but im sure stearns will be fishing.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
coolhandluke121
RealGM
And1: 6,847

Post#1008 » by coolhandluke121 » Tue Sep 6, 2016 7:02 pm

M-C-G wrote:
Based on everything Stearns has done since he got in the role, leads me to believe if they were getting a decent return on Braun, maybe even just a favorable return on Braun, it would have been done by now.

That's probably a fair assessment but the Braun situation is unique. People are all over the map in terms of what they think his value is going forward. Personally I think most people overestimate his value by a lot. That includes some pretty smart people too, and might include Stearns. I do give him the benefit of the doubt but in a way his success in the trade market over the past year could lead him to screw up the Braun situation; he might be inclined to hold out for too much, thinking his past trades should guide what he gets for Braun, and be left holding a very expensive bag of flaming you-know-what. I guess I stand by my original statement - the fact that LAD was clearly interested and offered Puig (plus who knows what else) and a deal couldn't done, combined with the fact that he cleared waivers, is a pretty significant red flag in my book.
Wut we've got here is... faaailure... to communakate.
trwi7
RealGM
And1: 26,392

Post#1009 » by trwi7 » Tue Sep 6, 2016 9:40 pm

I think Braun has some value and it increases more if we pick up money or take a bad contract back. I'm also in the camp that his value will likely significantly decrease as he gets older and the injuries pile up. I think Stearns realizes he doesn't want a player in his late 30s making nearly $20 million and tying up payroll when he's unlikely to be worth that salary when the team is hopefully competing again. There's a reason we've heard Braun is available for months now. Doesn't mean he's going to give him away but if some team comes calling with the right offer, Stearns will pull the trigger in a second.
stellation wrote:What's the difference between Gery Woelful and this glass of mineral water? The mineral water actually has a source."

I Hate Manure wrote:We look to be awful next season without Beasley.
Bernman
RealGM
And1: 5,473

Post#1010 » by Bernman » Thu Sep 8, 2016 5:28 pm

I'm late to the party on this Cordell reaction, but doesn't that seem more like a Melvin/Attanasio influenced move again? If it was Stearns/the scouts, you'd think they'd have gone with a Payano or Jurado type at least. This guy is older, and he isn't even mashing, rather just doing aiight.

I think they're trying to expedite the rebuild. It wouldn't shock me if the Brewers were in the playoff race next year, and I'd expect it the year after that. This season has been better than expected, and there are a lot of pieces already coming together.
"TRADE GIANNIS" - Magic Giannison
wichmae
RealGM

Post#1011 » by wichmae » Thu Sep 8, 2016 5:58 pm

Bernman wrote:I'm late to the party on this Cordell reaction, but doesn't that seem more like a Melvin/Attanasio influenced move again? If it was Stearns/the scouts, you'd think they'd have gone with a Payano or Jurado type at least. This guy is older, and he isn't even mashing, rather just doing aiight.

I think they're trying to expedite the rebuild. It wouldn't shock me if the Brewers were in the playoff race next year, and I'd expect it the year after that. This season has been better than expected, and there are a lot of pieces already coming together.

No one really knows who was on the list. As the "3rd prospect" in a trade he's a pretty good get. He's been out with a high ankle sprain for quite a while and rehabbing it. Im guessing they wanted to see how the rehab would go hence the PTBNL designation. At the end of the day he has good tools, good make up, and still has projection. Not a bad get.
Bernman
RealGM
And1: 5,473

Post#1012 » by Bernman » Thu Sep 8, 2016 6:20 pm

wichmae wrote:
Bernman wrote:I'm late to the party on this Cordell reaction, but doesn't that seem more like a Melvin/Attanasio influenced move again? If it was Stearns/the scouts, you'd think they'd have gone with a Payano or Jurado type at least. This guy is older, and he isn't even mashing, rather just doing aiight.

No one really knows who was on the list. As the "3rd prospect" in a trade he's a pretty good get. He's been out with a high ankle sprain for quite a while and rehabbing it. Im guessing they wanted to see how the rehab would go hence the PTBNL designation. At the end of the day he has good tools, good make up, and still has projection. Not a bad get.

Payano and Jurado were low level guys and the scouts were into them. Cordell was rated something like 6th in their system IIRC? So it stands to reason a Payano or Jurado type were on the list, but Melvin/Attanasio overrode Stears/the scouts as they did in taking Brinson over the 4-man package. Attanasio had an M.O. of being somewhat impatient. But it's not as extreme as Kohl, and he doesn't give his input on specific players, so that analog doesn't apply. I didn't hate the Melvin/Attanasio era. It was just, on average, average, with ups and downs. Now he's allowed a significant tear down. Don't have a big problem then if he asks for a quicker build back up, so long as it's done heavily with prospects and Doug's nugs. Not everybody has to take many years like the Cubs. I'm of the belief that there is more than one way to rebuild, just so long as you do rebuild.
"TRADE GIANNIS" - Magic Giannison
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,664

Re: RE: Re: 2016 Trade Deadline Thread 

Post#1013 » by WeekapaugGroove » Thu Sep 8, 2016 6:38 pm

Bernman wrote:
wichmae wrote:

Payano and Jurado were low level guys and the scouts were into them. Cordell was rated something like 6th in their system IIRC? So it stands to reason a Payano or Jurado type were on the list, but Melvin/Attanasio overrode Stears/the scouts as they did in taking Brinson over the 4-man package. Attanasio had an M.O. of being somewhat impatient. But it's not as extreme as Kohl, and he doesn't give his input on specific players, so that analog doesn't apply. I didn't hate the Melvin/Attanasio era. It was just, on average, average, with ups and downs. Now he's allowed a significant tear down. Don't have a big problem then if he asks for a quicker build back up, so long as it's done heavily with prospects and Doug's nugs. Not everybody has to take many years like the Cubs. I'm of the belief that there is more than one way to rebuild, just so long as you do rebuild.

You could be right but man it feels like youre making alot of assumptions as to who stearns wanted.

Ill say this if it was indeed melvin/Attanasio that pushed for brinson over a package of lower level guys then bully to them for making that choice. I liked getting a blue chipper in brinson when the trade went down and his play since the trade has made me like that decision even more. The brewers already have good depth in the system so i like rolling the dice on a guy like him.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
wichmae
RealGM

Post#1014 » by wichmae » Thu Sep 8, 2016 6:39 pm

Bernman wrote:
wichmae wrote:

There is literally zero evidence that they were even on the list. The only rumored name out there was Joe Palumbo and that came from a BF post. Again no one over rode Stearns in the Brinson deal. This has been disproven already on multiple accounts.
wichmae
RealGM

Post#1015 » by wichmae » Tue Sep 13, 2016 8:28 pm

Braun stuff is out there now.

He walked into the Milwaukee Brewers’ lives 11 years ago, brought them glory with two playoff berths, caused them shame with a drug suspension, and now the final days are coming to an end.

Ryan Braun, a six-time All-Star outfielder who has hit the most home runs in franchise history, has just 2 ½ weeks left until the Brewers’ season ends.

When he takes off his Brewers’ uniform Oct. 2 after the final game in Colorado, it likely will be for the final time.

In 2017, Braun will likely don the traditional blue and white colors of the Los Angeles Dodgers.

USA TODAY
Dodgers take over Yankee Stadium 'roll call', while Giants beat by ill pitcher

And the next uniform Dodgers embattled outfielder Yasiel Puig might be wearing next season are the blue and gold colors of the Brewers.

Braun and Puig were about 20 minutes from being traded to the Dodgers two weeks ago, according to several executives with direct knowledge of their trade talks, but the teams ran out of time at the Aug. 31 trade deadline.

The executives spoke to USA TODAY Sports on condition of anonymity due to the sensitive nature of the talks.

Braun was being traded to the Dodgers, who would pay the entire $76 million in his contract, for outfielder Yasiel Puig, injured veteran pitcher Brandon McCarthy and prospects.

Negotiations lasted all the way to the 11:59 p.m. ET waivers trade deadline on Aug. 31. Officials vowed to revisit the talks again this winter.

The clubs even worked out the major stumbling blocks of the deal so that it would have been a virtual money wash this season. McCarthy and Puig are earning a combined $16.5 million while Braun is being paid $19 million.

The deal was so close, with just one last prospect being negotiated, that Braun was advised to stay around until the deadline expired. Several of his teammates even stayed with him in the clubhouse, prepared to say their goodbyes.

Puig was in Oklahoma City, where he had been demoted, where their game against Memphis was rained out.

When midnight struck, Braun was still a Brewer, Puig would soon be packing for a return trip to the big leagues, and McCarthy was preparing for his next rehab start.

“I think it would be inappropriate for me to get into any detail about any of that stuff,’’ Braun told USA TODAY Sports. “Obviously, I live in Los Angeles in the offseason. I grew up a Dodger fan. When those conversations started, I think it was an interesting position for me to be in.

“But I love Milwaukee. I’m happy being a Brewer. And if those conversations were to continue, we’ll see where they lead.’’

USA TODAY
Losers, keepers: MLB teams find gems amid brutal 2016 seasons

The Brewers, in the middle of their rebuilding plans, realize the prospects they receive in return for Braun would accelerate their return, perhaps being a contender a year earlier in 2018.

Certainly, as the Brewers discovered during their trade talks this summer, Braun has re-established his trade value since his season-ending 65-game performing-enhancing drug suspension in 2013. He was one of 14 players suspended for their involvement with the Biogenesis Clinic in South Florida.

Braun, 32, who underwent back surgery after last season, is having his best year since 2012 when he finished second in the MVP balloting, after winning the award in 2011. He’s hitting .310 with 27 homers, 82 RBI and a .916 OPS (on-base plus slugging ), which ranks ninth in the National League.

The Atlanta Braves, rebuilding themselves, were so enamored with Braun that they also worked on a trade to acquire him this summer, according to officials with direct knowledge of the talks, only to be rebuffed when Braun exercised his no-trade provision.

“I think whenever you have a player producing at this level, and has produced in the past, he will generate interest,’’ said Brewers GM David Stearns, speaking generally. “So it wasn’t all that surprising to me. He’s a very good player, providing very consistent high-level offensive production, and teams out there naturally have interest in that.’’

Braun has a blanket no-trade provision to all but six teams: the Dodgers, Los Angeles Angels, San Francisco Giants, San Diego Padres, Arizona Diamondbacks and Miami Marlins. They are all within an hour drive or hour flight from his Malibu, Calif., home, with the exception of Miami, where he attended the University of Miami.

The Giants, who had trade talks with the Brewers about Braun earlier this summer, could revisit it again, particularly since outfielder Angel Pagan is a free agent. The Angels could certainly use another power hitter to go along with Mike Trout and Albert Pujols. And, of course, there are the Dodgers, who will have more than $20 million coming off the books with pitcher Brett Anderson’s expiring contract and Bronson Arroyo’s buyout, and just one more year of paying $21 million to released outfielder Carl Crawford.

It just makes too much sense for Braun not to be a Dodger, particularly considering that in May 2017, Braun will have complete no-trade rights after he accrues 10 years of service time.

Puig has been on his best behavior, and has hit three home runs since his call-up, but the Dodgers still are expected to unload him. Perhaps if nothing else, his trade value will be a bit higher, considering his performance this month. The Dodgers will be in the odd position of gleaning stretch-drive and playoff contributions from a player likely to be dealt this winter.

“Yasiel has continued to grow as a baseball player, as a teammate, as a man,” Dodgers manager Dave Roberts told reporters after their victory at the New York Yankees on Monday night.

Andrew Friedman, the Dodgers president of baseball operations, declined to talk about any of their trade talks involving Puig. Stearns said that a decision regarding Braun doesn’t have to necessarily be determined by next May.

“I don’t know if there’s a firm timeline for any decision,’’ Stearns said. “We are very open with Ryan, and he’s open with us. As long as the lines of communication remain productive, and there’s a good level of trust back and forth, there’s no definitive timeline to any of this.

“My job is to make the best decision for the franchise. We would only move a player of Ryan’s caliber if we were getting significant talent back.’’

Certainly, Braun has no objection if he spends the rest of his career in Milwaukee, where he doesn’t receive the scorn he occasionally faces on the road. Braun and his wife’s daughter, Celine, were born in Milwaukee. Their son, with a due date of Sept. 22, will also be born in Milwaukee. He’s comfortable playing in the Midwest, but, of course, would be a whole lot more comfortable sleeping in his own bed at home, where their kids could stay year-round.

“I love Milwaukee, my family loves Milwaukee,’’ Braun said, “and we love getting involved in the community. I’m completely at peace if we do end up straying here.

“But at the same time, I’m realistic where we are as a team. I’ve had honest conversations with my GM, our ownership group, and (manager) Craig Counsell, when we think we’ll be competitive again. Certainly, I think it’s a conversation we’ll continue to have, and assess what offers come in.

“I’m completely content with staying in Milwaukee, but it also makes sense for them to consider alternatives because of where we’re at as an organization.’’

No matter what transpires, now that he’s healthy, Braun is confident that someone will be benefiting from his talents. He still runs the bases well, plays solid defense, and the power is still there, as evidenced last Sunday when he hit a game-winning 419-foot homer against the St. Louis Cardinals.

Braun, who would provide the perfect right-handed bat to help balance the Dodgers’ lineup, refuses to stress over whether he stays in Milwaukee or heads west, but knows that ultimately he’ll end up in a desirable locale.

“If I get traded,’’ Braun says, “it’s got to be a team that wants to win now, and where I really want to go. I’m just looking forward to being at home this winter, spending an off-season working out instead of rehabbing, and hopefully building off this year and having even a better year next year.

“Athletically, I don’t think I’ve lost a thing. I feel I still have some great years left in me.’’

He’s going to look good in Dodger blue.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/columnist/bob-nightengale/2016/09/13/ryan-braun-yasiel-puig-dodgers-brewers-trade/90311414/
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,018

Post#1016 » by ReasonablySober » Tue Sep 13, 2016 8:59 pm

Quality of prospects being key here. They still have a nice system.
wichmae
RealGM

Post#1017 » by wichmae » Tue Sep 13, 2016 9:04 pm

From everything Ive read I say theres about a 75% chance he's traded at winter meetings.
Thunder Muscle
RealGM
And1: 1,061

Post#1018 » by Thunder Muscle » Tue Sep 13, 2016 9:31 pm

Seems like they are setting the stage for a deal. I'm curious what casual fan reaction will be.
Sky Bucks
Sixth Man
And1: 1,357

Post#1019 » by Sky Bucks » Tue Sep 13, 2016 10:10 pm

After reading the article, it just feels like a no brainer to make the deal.
#Make'em Believe On Wisconsin
wichmae
RealGM

Post#1020 » by wichmae » Tue Sep 13, 2016 10:48 pm

Thunder Muscle wrote:Seems like they are setting the stage for a deal. I'm curious what casual fan reaction will be.

From reading BF and some of the responses here (also the reaction from the Lucroy trade) people will be all kinds of upset. Emotional ties and player favoritism is deep with Braun. If people can look at it in the grand scheme of things and put that all in perspective I think it'll all turn out fine. While Im far from a huge Puig fan he would be the ideal buy and flip guy. If not then he's gone much sooner. McCarthy when healthy is a serviceable starter who also could be flip worthy. Now I dont think theres a shot in hell we got one of their top 5 guys but put me in the park of liking the second tier and lotto ticket type deal. I would be very ok with Sborz or Abdullah and a guy like Shopko or Nolan Long. Gavin Lux would be awesome.

Return to Milwaukee Brewers