ImageImage

Trade: Thornburg to Boston

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25, humanrefutation

Gianstoppable
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,630

Re: Trade: Thornburg to Boston 

Post#41 » by Gianstoppable » Wed Dec 7, 2016 9:35 pm

I like Dubon, he might hit .380 in AAA next year. I know hes a couple years away still but he needs to play SS or 2B when hes up so I would guess another big year from Villar means Jonathan could be traded? Thats thinking too far ahead anyway, love stocking up on talent up the middle with plus tools.
#FreeChuckDiesel
wichmae
RealGM
And1: 1,031

Post#42 » by wichmae » Wed Dec 7, 2016 10:41 pm

Gianstoppable wrote:I like Dubon, he might hit .380 in AAA next year. I know hes a couple years away still but he needs to play SS or 2B when hes up so I would guess another big year from Villar means Jonathan could be traded? Thats thinking too far ahead anyway, love stocking up on talent up the middle with plus tools.

Dubon will most likely be in AA, he split high A and AA last season.
Wiscfan92
Starter
And1: 206

Post#43 » by Wiscfan92 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:07 pm

Man, do the Brewers look like geniuses for making this move. Shaw has been a real bright spot this year.
Play your role till your role change. Pay your dues till your dues paid.
wichmae
RealGM

Post#44 » by wichmae » Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:42 pm

PTBNL from this trade to be announced by May 6th.
sdn40
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,418

Post#45 » by sdn40 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:51 am

Can someone explain Shaw's contract ? Never really cared to learn the details and the MLB makes things so fricken complicated.
Thanks
Outlander
Junior
And1: 68

Post#46 » by Outlander » Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:44 pm

In 2018 he will basically be at league minimum, from 2019-2021 he will have arbitration so no urgency for an extension. Shaw will be a free agent when he is 31.
sdn40
Assistant Coach

Post#47 » by sdn40 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:28 pm

Outlander wrote:In 2018 he will basically be at league minimum, from 2019-2021 he will have arbitration so no urgency for an extension. Shaw will be a free agent when he is 31.

Thanks
Great for the Brewers but holy crap do baseball players have a long crappy ride before the real money comes in compared to other sports
wichmae
RealGM

Post#48 » by wichmae » Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:45 pm

sdn40 wrote:
Outlander wrote:In 2018 he will basically be at league minimum, from 2019-2021 he will have arbitration so no urgency for an extension. Shaw will be a free agent when he is 31.

Thanks
Great for the Brewers but holy crap do baseball players have a long crappy ride before the real money comes in compared to other sports

ITs basically the first 4 years of being on an MLB contract sucks. The first three years are considered rookie scale and you enter arby in your 4th professional year. Some if not most teams often give players bumps in salary during those first few years if their talent warrants it but I think minimum salary is still 565K

You think they have it rough though. MiLB has about the worst compensation system ever. These guys make about 12K a year with the ability to have breakfast and lunch at the facilities. They dont get paid for spring training or any of the offseason. They literally make about half of what minimum wage is.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,668

Post#49 » by WeekapaugGroove » Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:34 pm

Obviously this trade is looking very good for the Brewers. It's kind of crazy if you look at what Stearns has done the past 14 months with trades. He's dealt away Hill, Lucroy, Jefferies, Smith, and Thornburg and netted Shaw, Swarzek, and now Wilkerson to the MLB roster with those deals and got Jefferies back for basically free... one could argue that just the MLB guys he's got they have got more MLB production in that time than the guys he's sent out. And that doesn't factor in them getting two stud prospects in Brinson and Ortiz out of the deals and another decent prospect in Dubon and an intriguing guy in Bickford. What an awesome haul.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
sdn40
Assistant Coach

Post#50 » by sdn40 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:37 pm

WeekapaugGroove wrote:Obviously this trade is looking very good for the Brewers. It's kind of crazy if you look at what Stearns has done the past 14 months with trades. He's dealt away Hill, Lucroy, Jefferies, Smith, and Thornburg and netted Shaw, Swarzek, and now Wilkerson to the MLB roster with those deals and got Jefferies back for basically free... one could argue that just the MLB guys he's got they have got more MLB production in that time than the guys he's sent out. And that doesn't factor in them getting two stud prospects in Brinson and Ortiz out of the deals and another decent prospect in Dubon and an intriguing guy in Bickford. What an awesome haul.

Pretty much. If I were a GM I would think twice before making any kind of deal with Stearns. Then again, I'm paranoid that way
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 14,019

Post#51 » by humanrefutation » Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:56 pm

wichmae wrote:
sdn40 wrote:

Thanks

ITs basically the first 4 years of being on an MLB contract sucks. The first three years are considered rookie scale and you enter arby in your 4th professional year. Some if not most teams often give players bumps in salary during those first few years if their talent warrants it but I think minimum salary is still 565K

You think they have it rough though. MiLB has about the worst compensation system ever. These guys make about 12K a year with the ability to have breakfast and lunch at the facilities. They dont get paid for spring training or any of the offseason. They literally make about half of what minimum wage is.

Yeah, MiLB is terrible. But in terms of the top-tier leagues, I would argue the NFL has the worst professional contract system - nonguaranteed contracts for a sport where the average career is less than three seasons and you're potentially subjecting yourself to TBIs over and over again.

Return to Milwaukee Brewers