RealGM
And1: 1,031

Re: 2017 Trade Rumors Thread 

Post#1041 » by wichmae » Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:25 pm

tski1972 wrote:
wichmae wrote:
mlloyd10 wrote:
So we upgraded and it didn't cost us ****.... but yet so dumb

It is dumb. We technically barely upgraded. At some point we gave something up. Have to DFA a player and probably lose them for a very marginal upgrade at best with a player who is not a long term piece. Its incredibly dumb.

I doubt whatever the Brewers are giving up will affect anything going forward.

Then you believed contrary to this entire board that Sogard provides to the team. This move costs you not only a prospect, money, but also him.
Tfence92
Starter
And1: 435

Post#1042 » by Tfence92 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:22 pm

wichmae wrote:
tski1972 wrote:
wichmae wrote:It is dumb. We technically barely upgraded. At some point we gave something up. Have to DFA a player and probably lose them for a very marginal upgrade at best with a player who is not a long term piece. Its incredibly dumb.

I doubt whatever the Brewers are giving up will affect anything going forward.

Then you believed contrary to this entire board that Sogard provides to the team. This move costs you not only a prospect, money, but also him.

We kept Sogard, be happy we have him and his -18 wRC+ since the break.
Gianstoppable
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,630

Post#1043 » by Gianstoppable » Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:02 pm

People seriously would be upset if Sogard was gone? He's been terrible since his injury and just had a very hot start, I'd MUCH rather have Walker than Sogard 10 times out of 10
#FreeChuckDiesel
Tfence92
Starter

Post#1044 » by Tfence92 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:52 pm

Gianstoppable wrote:People seriously would be upset if Sogard was gone? He's been terrible since his injury and just had a very hot start, I'd MUCH rather have Walker than Sogard 10 times out of 10

31 years old with a 5 WAR. How can we ever afford to lose him???
Eeavers57
Pro Prospect
And1: 439

Post#1045 » by Eeavers57 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 4:52 pm

Braun+ for Stanton. Make it happen Stearns.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM
And1: 4,172
Location: Hmmmm...how many 1sts would Jason Richardson cost...?

Post#1046 » by Kerb Hohl » Tue Aug 15, 2017 4:58 pm

Eeavers57 wrote:Braun+ for Stanton. Make it happen Stearns.

I'm not sure I really like that from either side, but I'd probably live with it as a Brewers fan.

The package for Stanton will include several top 50 prospects...not someone like Ryan Braun.
blazza18
RealGM
And1: 26,625

Post#1047 » by blazza18 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:01 pm

Stanton would almost be untradeable given what it would take to get him plus his salary right?
Baddy Chuck wrote:I want to win but I also love chaos.
wichmae
RealGM

Post#1048 » by wichmae » Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:05 pm

blazza18 wrote:Stanton would almost be untradeable given what it would take to get him plus his salary right?

One would think. The haul he would generate and tha salary would make him really only tradeable to the massive market teams. I always thought Stanton would wear the pinstripes at some point in his career.
Tfence92
Starter

Post#1049 » by Tfence92 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:11 am

FWIW, Miami said they'd be willing to take back a **** contract to help match some money.

Brewers don't really have that, but there's a few teams with big payrolls that do.

To name a few:
Cubs - Heyward
Red Sox - Rusney Castillo (Porcello?)
Yankees - Ellsbury
Rangers - Shin soo Choo
Blue Jays - Tulo?
Giants - Samardzjia/Cueto
Braves - Kemp
Tigers - Zimmerman lol
Cards - Fowler

We have Braun, who is from down there, but I just can't see it. Not that I can see (m)any of these working.
trwi7
RealGM
And1: 26,395

Post#1050 » by trwi7 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:24 am

Braun is from Southern California, he just went to college in Miami. Miami could take Heyward but Chicago doesn't have the prospect capital to make a deal for him. Not even sure they had the capital before the Quintana and Wilson/Avila trades if they forced Miami to take Heyward back.

That contract is basically unmovable because fans would probably revolt on new ownership if they just dumped the contract. If teams are going to give up multiple top 50 prospects and then lotto tickets/good prospects on top of that they're probably going to want to see him play 140+ games multiple years in a row. The Marlins are going to want even more if they're taking on a bad contract and/or sending money along to help cover his contract.

It's really a tough situation for new ownership. They have a playoff caliber offense with few holes (3B, SS, 2B) but their pitching is just so bad that it basically negates anything their offense does and their farm system sucks so it's not like they have pitching replacements coming or the ammo to go trade for it without giving up someone like Yelich or Ozuna.

Maybe if the new ownership is willing to spend they could get a couple of pitchers this offseason say Arrieta and Jaime Garcia or something. A solid 2/3 start and a 4 starter to just give you some mediocre innings. That might be enough to push them towards at least a wild card, even if the end of Arrieta's deal turns out to be terrible, which it probably would be.
stellation wrote:What's the difference between Gery Woelful and this glass of mineral water? The mineral water actually has a source."

I Hate Manure wrote:We look to be awful next season without Beasley.
Tfence92
Starter

Post#1051 » by Tfence92 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:41 am

What will it take to get De Jesus called up?

Dude is murdering the entire PCL.
wichmae
RealGM

Post#1052 » by wichmae » Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:04 pm

trwi7 wrote:Braun is from Southern California, he just went to college in Miami. Miami could take Heyward but Chicago doesn't have the prospect capital to make a deal for him. Not even sure they had the capital before the Quintana and Wilson/Avila trades if they forced Miami to take Heyward back.

That contract is basically unmovable because fans would probably revolt on new ownership if they just dumped the contract. If teams are going to give up multiple top 50 prospects and then lotto tickets/good prospects on top of that they're probably going to want to see him play 140+ games multiple years in a row. The Marlins are going to want even more if they're taking on a bad contract and/or sending money along to help cover his contract.

It's really a tough situation for new ownership. They have a playoff caliber offense with few holes (3B, SS, 2B) but their pitching is just so bad that it basically negates anything their offense does and their farm system sucks so it's not like they have pitching replacements coming or the ammo to go trade for it without giving up someone like Yelich or Ozuna.

Maybe if the new ownership is willing to spend they could get a couple of pitchers this offseason say Arrieta and Jaime Garcia or something. A solid 2/3 start and a 4 starter to just give you some mediocre innings. That might be enough to push them towards at least a wild card, even if the end of Arrieta's deal turns out to be terrible, which it probably would be.

Yeah I agree. If anything goes back to absorb some of the salary its going to take a ton to get it done. The Cubs just dont have the ammo without gutting their MLB level team. I was asked on Twitter what would it take from the Brewers if we included Braun and I thought probably Braun, Brinson, Hader, Diaz, Ortiz, Diplan, and a PTBNL player on the A level or lower. Feliciano, McLanahan, or Demi. It would take so much to get him if you included a contract back. For Miami's sake thats something they can sell their fans on. I think to be honest the Yankees make the most sense. They have so much coming off their payroll with CC, Holiday, Frazier, Garcia, and Pineda all coming off. Thats almost 65 million in yearly salary off the books next year. They could literally just absorb him and do a Torres, Adams, Sheffield, and Acevedo deal.
wichmae
RealGM

Post#1053 » by wichmae » Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:05 pm

Tfence92 wrote:What will it take to get De Jesus called up?

Not trading for Neil Walker :dontknow:
tski1972
Head Coach
And1: 3,598

Post#1054 » by tski1972 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:12 pm

wichmae wrote:

Not trading for Neil Walker :dontknow:

you really need to let the Neil Walker thing go.
http://twitter.com/MarkIsOld

"Because of Giannis, the once lousy Bucks are back in the NBA conversation." - 60 Minutes
Kerb Hohl
RealGM

Post#1055 » by Kerb Hohl » Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:12 pm

Stanton's long-term iffy contract not withstanding, the whole Jose Fernandez thing sucks for them. They'd have a Wild Card contending team with him this year that would be competing in other divisions that don't have a team like the Nats. Their ownership and management sucked but they did build a decent team.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM

Post#1056 » by Kerb Hohl » Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:17 pm

I can pretty much guarantee he would be the worst hitter on the team by a wide, wide margin.

1. Guys that are 30ish with lots of experience generally destroy AAA/the PCL. Wily Mo Pena was down there putting up video game numbers as a 29-year-old.

2. Colorado's altitude plus cavernous stadiums affords even more of a batting average boost than the already hitter-friendly PCL.

Look at the numbers that Brinson, Broxton, Phillips, Sogard, Cooper, and Bandy put up and then compare that to what they've done in the majors.

Honestly, it depends on the player, but you can subtract about 70 or 80 points from a lot of guys' batting average and even more on slugging/OPS when comparing Colorado Springs vs. bringing them up to the Brewers.

Here, take a look at all of the 25+ year-old guys that can't crack .220 in the majors hitting .330+ in the PCL
Tfence92
Starter

Post#1057 » by Tfence92 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:34 pm

Kerb Hohl wrote:

I can pretty much guarantee he would be the worst hitter on the team by a wide, wide margin.

1. Guys that are 30ish with lots of experience generally destroy AAA/the PCL. Wily Mo Pena was down there putting up video game numbers as a 29-year-old.

2. Colorado's altitude plus cavernous stadiums affords even more of a batting average boost than the already hitter-friendly PCL.

Look at the numbers that Brinson, Broxton, Phillips, Sogard, Cooper, and Bandy put up and then compare that to what they've done in the majors.

Honestly, it depends on the player, but you can subtract about 70 or 80 points from a lot of guys' batting average and even more on slugging/OPS when comparing Colorado Springs vs. bringing them up to the Brewers.

Here, take a look at all of the 25+ year-old guys that can't crack .220 in the majors hitting .330+ in the PCL

If DeJesus didn't have a season's worth of PAs at a .242 clip, I'd be more inclined to agree.

I don't think he's gonna come up and murder MLB pitching, but even 100 points worse would be .250 lol

I'd imagine with his versatility, he'll get added and come up for September.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM

Post#1058 » by Kerb Hohl » Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:41 pm

Tfence92 wrote:
If DeJesus didn't have a season's worth of PAs at a .242 clip, I'd be more inclined to agree.

I don't think he's gonna come up and murder MLB pitching, but even 100 points worse would be .250 lol

I'd imagine with his versatility, he'll get added and come up for September.

.250 with zero power and a terrible OBP is really bad.

Sure, he'll be added as a pinch runner and defensive replacement in September and start like 2 games.

His "tearing up the PCL" means 0%, though. He'll come up and be the same **** player that he always is...which is of use for like 15 plate appearances and a few innings of defense in September.

I didn't suggest that he is also a .220 hitter, that number was used for the sake of example. That's reserved for Oswaldo Arcia and Wily Mo Pena. Guys like De Jesus will be .240/.290/.330 slash lines.
wichmae
RealGM

Post#1059 » by wichmae » Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:18 pm

We would have to DFA someone off the roster to have him come up in September. He's not gonna come up.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM

Post#1060 » by Kerb Hohl » Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:24 pm

Forgot he's not on the 40. Yeah, he's not coming up barring some major injury or shakeup.

Return to Milwaukee Brewers