ImageImage

2017 Trade Rumors Thread

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25, humanrefutation

trwi7
RealGM
And1: 26,370

Re: 2017 Trade Rumors Thread 

Post#1081 » by trwi7 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:34 pm

I'd take Altuve, Trout, Rendon, Seager, Harper, Votto, Goldschmidt, Donaldson and Machado off the top of my head over Stanton. Could also make an argument for guys like Freeman, McCutchen, Posey as long as he's still catching the majority of the time, Corey's brother, Longoria and Arenado.
stellation wrote:What's the difference between Gery Woelful and this glass of mineral water? The mineral water actually has a source."

I Hate Manure wrote:We look to be awful next season without Beasley.
coolhandluke121
RealGM
And1: 6,845

Post#1082 » by coolhandluke121 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:50 pm

Bryant and Rizzo. Betts. Probably Judge in a year or two.
Wut we've got here is... faaailure... to communakate.
coolhandluke121
RealGM
And1: 6,845

Post#1083 » by coolhandluke121 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:50 pm

Bryant and Rizzo. Betts. Probably Judge in a year or two.
Wut we've got here is... faaailure... to communakate.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM
And1: 4,168
Location: Hmmmm...how many 1sts would Jason Richardson cost...?

Post#1084 » by Kerb Hohl » Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:53 pm

Some of the guys like Arenado, Longoria, and Corey's brother are on the list due to their defense, which helps, but still leaves them a notch below Stanton, especially since this argument has to be about "right now" and therefore is factoring in Stanton's monster season. If it's about future value, Longoria and some of those other guys will start to regress.

If this newly closed stance for Stanton has him hitting like this (not this insane of a clip, but 45+ homers each year and a lower K%) I'd put him behind a fair amount of guys on this list but still would have Goldy, Votto, Harper, Trout, Bryant, Altuve for sure and probably behind at least 2 or 3 other guys on the list, but it gets dicey there.
El Duderino
RealGM
And1: 1,324

Post#1085 » by El Duderino » Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:44 pm

It's pretty amazing how good of a hitter Altuve has developed into now that his power is where it's at. A 5'6 guy sporting a .990 OPS and doing so with a very mediocre walk rate.
wichmae
RealGM
And1: 1,031

Post#1086 » by wichmae » Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:58 am

trwi7 wrote:We would be insane to trade for Stanton even if he can be had for basically nothing. He has a no trade clause, so he's probably going to want compensation for waiving it. He can opt out after the 2020 season just before he turns 31 but he'll still have $218 million guaranteed on his contract, so it's not a guarantee that he does opt out and he's on pace to play more than 140 games for the first time since 2014 and for only the third time in 7 seasons.

But yet we should trade everything for him and a 35 year old pitcher owed 60 more million. Screw the farm system. Then when Verlanders arm dies or Braun gets hurt again or Stanton turns back into capt injury prone. Then we have nothing in the system and zero financial flexibility to dig out of it. Basically we turn ourselves into the Marlins. Its stupid and homeristic. Stanton is having an awesome year for sure. IM not banking my team's future on that contract and a guy who often struggles to play 120 games. He's also not a good defender. Not if were talking sending Braun out too with high end guys for him then Im ok with it. In the above dream scenario posted we would have 40+ mil (Plus another 30 mil for Verlander) committed to two injury prone, poor defensive corner OF's per year until Braun's option comes up in 2021 and Stanton leaves via FA. Anderson is going to get a massive Arby 2 bump. Knebel is arb eligible and with just Thames contract we would be over 80 mil in salary with just those guys. Since were gutting our system to do this Im willing to be thats a .500 team. Mediocre. Exactly where death of franchises happen in baseball.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM

Post#1087 » by Kerb Hohl » Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:32 pm

wichmae wrote:
trwi7 wrote:We would be insane to trade for Stanton even if he can be had for basically nothing. He has a no trade clause, so he's probably going to want compensation for waiving it. He can opt out after the 2020 season just before he turns 31 but he'll still have $218 million guaranteed on his contract, so it's not a guarantee that he does opt out and he's on pace to play more than 140 games for the first time since 2014 and for only the third time in 7 seasons.

But yet we should trade everything for him and a 35 year old pitcher owed 60 more million. Screw the farm system. Then when Verlanders arm dies or Braun gets hurt again or Stanton turns back into capt injury prone. Then we have nothing in the system and zero financial flexibility to dig out of it. Basically we turn ourselves into the Marlins. Its stupid and homeristic. Stanton is having an awesome year for sure. IM not banking my team's future on that contract and a guy who often struggles to play 120 games. He's also not a good defender. Not if were talking sending Braun out too with high end guys for him then Im ok with it. In the above dream scenario posted we would have 40+ mil (Plus another 30 mil for Verlander) committed to two injury prone, poor defensive corner OF's per year until Braun's option comes up in 2021 and Stanton leaves via FA. Anderson is going to get a massive Arby 2 bump. Knebel is arb eligible and with just Thames contract we would be over 80 mil in salary with just those guys. Since were gutting our system to do this Im willing to be thats a .500 team. Mediocre. Exactly where death of franchises happen in baseball.

This whole thing was started by me saying "I'd take them if the teams were giving them (and their contracts) away" which obviously wouldn't happen. Nobody ever suggested trading prospects for them. It was just a hypothetical conversation if those teams were just willing to give those players away, it is debatable whether one would take on their contracts (I probably would given the Brewers' upcoming payroll).

By the way, your rant on the payroll still does not mention that we'd still be way under Attanasio's budget in every upcoming season with minimal holes to fill so it wouldn't be so bad financially. I can definitely listen to the argument of Stanton's contract being a massive risk down the road, but I'd be willing to take the risk given our payroll going forward. But I repeat: I would not give up any prospects for them.
wichmae
RealGM

Post#1088 » by wichmae » Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:22 pm

Kerb Hohl wrote:
wichmae wrote:

This whole thing was started by me saying "I'd take them if the teams were giving them (and their contracts) away" which obviously wouldn't happen. Nobody ever suggested trading prospects for them. It was just a hypothetical conversation if those teams were just willing to give those players away, it is debatable whether one would take on their contracts (I probably would given the Brewers' upcoming payroll).

By the way, your rant on the payroll still does not mention that we'd still be way under Attanasio's budget in every upcoming season with minimal holes to fill so it wouldn't be so bad financially. I can definitely listen to the argument of Stanton's contract being a massive risk down the road, but I'd be willing to take the risk given our payroll going forward. But I repeat: I would not give up any prospects for them.

It was more of a response to that mlloyd dude who posted trade the farm for Verlander and Stanton. Not you. Sorry if it seemed that way
Kerb Hohl
RealGM

Post#1089 » by Kerb Hohl » Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:24 pm

Fair enough...I missed that one.
mlloyd10
General Manager
And1: 854

Post#1090 » by mlloyd10 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:50 pm

wichmae wrote:
Kerb Hohl wrote:
wichmae wrote:But yet we should trade everything for him and a 35 year old pitcher owed 60 more million. Screw the farm system. Then when Verlanders arm dies or Braun gets hurt again or Stanton turns back into capt injury prone. Then we have nothing in the system and zero financial flexibility to dig out of it. Basically we turn ourselves into the Marlins. Its stupid and homeristic. Stanton is having an awesome year for sure. IM not banking my team's future on that contract and a guy who often struggles to play 120 games. He's also not a good defender. Not if were talking sending Braun out too with high end guys for him then Im ok with it. In the above dream scenario posted we would have 40+ mil (Plus another 30 mil for Verlander) committed to two injury prone, poor defensive corner OF's per year until Braun's option comes up in 2021 and Stanton leaves via FA. Anderson is going to get a massive Arby 2 bump. Knebel is arb eligible and with just Thames contract we would be over 80 mil in salary with just those guys. Since were gutting our system to do this Im willing to be thats a .500 team. Mediocre. Exactly where death of franchises happen in baseball.

It was more of a response to that mlloyd dude who posted trade the farm for Verlander and Stanton. Not you. Sorry if it seemed that way

When did i ever say trade the farm...Never once...Please read what i write before you post.
mlloyd10
General Manager

Post#1091 » by mlloyd10 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:56 pm

mlloyd10 wrote:
wichmae wrote:Theyre going to have to DFA Sogard to make room on the 25. Unless they go back to a 12 pitcher roster. 40 man is also full.

So we upgraded and it didn't cost us ****.... but yet so dumb

mlloyd10 wrote:
wichmae wrote:Verlanders K/BB is a career worst. His BABIP is the highest its been since 2014. He's also projected to have the worst WAR of his career. His pitch contact percentage is the highest its been since 2007 and has a ridiculous 35% hard hit ball ratio (this is actually insanely high). Again, theres a reason he's basically free and I want him no where near the Brewers.

Last 7 starts - 1.97 ERA, BAbip - .229, 9.5 K's per 9 innings, 2.87 walks per 9 innings(career average)

We are not saying give up the farm for him. If he cost us nothing and we just take on the money, you do it and dont think twice.

mlloyd10 wrote:
Thunder Muscle wrote:
Kerb Hohl wrote:
They don't even have to be top 100, though. I get that there is value in having Gray for 2 more years and I actually think he's a much better pitcher than some do, but we need quantity in the organization. We've probably got 30 guys in the organization right now that will be at least OK MLB players between now and 2022 or whatever. I'd rather have enough of them that we have good replacement-level guys waiting at AAA in the event of an injury in 2019 or if we "go for it" then, we have another guy waiting in the wings. Some are also going to flop. I don't want it so that we have only a handful of prospects that our entire future depends on and no depth behind them.

Agree with Kerb. The more lottery tickets, the better. If we start peddling off prospects, you best hope you're in a position to get to the World Series. I don't think the team is that close. The ride has been fun, but stay the course. Don't lose your head over playing well for 2-3 months and then reverting back to the team most everyone thought they had in the first place.

Just want to make it clear - Im fully against rentals, i full support trading for players with 2 plus years of control
mlloyd10
General Manager

Post#1092 » by mlloyd10 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:58 pm

Kerb Hohl wrote:Fair enough...I missed that one.

He really doesn't know what he is talking about - he is against any move, even if it cost us nothing at all.
wichmae
RealGM

Post#1093 » by wichmae » Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:46 pm

mlloyd10 wrote:
Kerb Hohl wrote:Fair enough...I missed that one.

He really doesn't know what he is talking about - he is against any move, even if it cost us nothing at all.

It was "Lippo" My bad for saying you
bizarro
RealGM
And1: 7,290

Post#1094 » by bizarro » Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:39 pm

wichmae wrote:

Wichmae, someone's got you in a tizzzzzzzy! I don't think a poster here beyond whomever proposed this idea is clamoring for any type of sell the farm move. This being said, I think Stanton's defense is extremely underrated:

I cringe at the thought of a Santana/Stanton combo. Ick.
jakecronus8
RealGM
And1: 7,273

Post#1095 » by jakecronus8 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:42 am

bizarro wrote:
wichmae wrote:

Wichmae, someone's got you in a tizzzzzzzy! I don't think a poster here beyond whomever proposed this idea is clamoring for any type of sell the farm move. This being said, I think Stanton's defense is extremely underrated:

I cringe at the thought of a Santana/Stanton combo. Ick.

Dude makes ManRam look like Willie Mays.
Do it for Chuck
Lippo
Lead Assistant
And1: 945

Post#1096 » by Lippo » Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:20 am

Lol, I barely follow baseball, just trying rile folks up, lol. I'll watch preseason jags vs browns before the brewers.
Stanton wouldn't be a rental. Maybe get him for Braun, Thames and Philips. Move him or Domingo to 1B.
Verlander is an ace still and could give a Schilling type playoff performance,.

But I could have just as easily put it in green don't.. made the statement the night Stanton hit a HR and 4 ribs , and verlander shut down the Dodgers.

Return to Milwaukee Brewers