Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25, humanrefutation

wichmae
RealGM
And1: 1,031

Re: 2017 Trade Rumors Thread 

Post#301 » by wichmae » Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:13 pm

bdpecore wrote:
humanrefutation wrote:
wichmae wrote:lmfao SD wanted either Verdugo from LAD or Gleyber Torres from NYY for Brad Hand. These asking prices are **** insane.

The asking price for middle relievers went way up last year, IMO. The Indians gave up two of their top 5 prospects for Andrew Miller, while the Brewers got bonafide prospects for Thornburg, Jeffress, and Smith.

There is an argument that the Brewers should consider shopping Knebel, Hughes, and Barnes to see what they could get for them.

I'm all for standing pat at the trade deadline or even making a win now trade if the asking price isn't too absorbent but trading away players will be really hard for Mark A and Sterns to justify to its fans.

Whats good for the franchise is whats good for the fans no matter how hard it is to justify. If Hand lands a Verdugo or Torres we would be insanely stupid to not try and maximize value on the most volatile market in baseball.
bdpecore
Assistant Coach
And1: 573

Post#302 » by bdpecore » Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:15 pm

Gianstoppable wrote:Is Sonny Gray a Brewer yet?

Do you think the A's would take Knebel as one of the main pieces coming back? Maybe a Knebel, Ray, Ortiz and Dubon can get it done? I doubt they would since they are rebuilding but they can flip him if he maintains throughout the season. I'd hate to give up our bullpen though.

If Ray, Ortiz and Dubon isn't enough to get Gray I'm out. No need to add Knebel to that package.
Gianstoppable
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,630

Post#303 » by Gianstoppable » Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:16 pm

Knebel, Phillips and Ortiz/Lopez for Gray and Puk
#FreeChuckDiesel
Gianstoppable
Assistant Coach

Post#304 » by Gianstoppable » Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:18 pm

bdpecore wrote:

Do you think the A's would take Knebel as one of the main pieces coming back? Maybe a Knebel, Ray, Ortiz and Dubon can get it done? I doubt they would since they are rebuilding but they can flip him if he maintains throughout the season. I'd hate to give up our bullpen though.

If Ray, Ortiz and Dubon isn't enough to get Gray I'm out. No need to add Knebel to that package.

I wouldnt want to trade a controllable ace for a struggling CF, a #3 at best starter and an infielder who can hit but struggles fielding
#FreeChuckDiesel
bdpecore
Assistant Coach

Post#305 » by bdpecore » Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:28 pm

Gianstoppable wrote:
bdpecore wrote:

I wouldnt want to trade a controllable ace for a struggling CF, a #3 at best starter and an infielder who can hit but struggles fielding

Just because Ray is struggling this season doesn't detract from his current value. He's only 22 and still has plenty of time to improve and develop. His raw tools are what has him ranked #21 in the MLB's mid-season rankings. Ortiz has been pitching well in AA and still has a ceiling of a solid #2 starter if he can improve his command. And Dubon is also only 22 and has shown he can provide above average defense playing SS, 2B and CF and has the bat to produce on the offensive side as well. Getting three top 10 prospects in a loaded farm system is a very attractive offer especially with two being ranked #21 and #51 in all of baseball.
Gianstoppable
Assistant Coach

Post#306 » by Gianstoppable » Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:34 pm

bdpecore wrote:
Gianstoppable wrote:
bdpecore wrote:If Ray, Ortiz and Dubon isn't enough to get Gray I'm out. No need to add Knebel to that package.

Just because Ray is struggling this season doesn't detract from his current value. He's only 22 and still has plenty of time to improve and develop. His raw tools are what has him ranked #21 in the MLB's mid-season rankings. Ortiz has been pitching well in AA and still has a ceiling of a solid #2 starter if he can improve his command. And Dubon is also only 22 and has shown he can provide above average defense playing SS, 2B and CF and has the bat to produce on the offensive side as well. Getting three top 10 prospects in a loaded farm system is a very attractive offer especially with two being ranked #21 and #51 in all of baseball.

Ray turns 23 in 2 months and has a .308 OBP in high A and had a .307 OBP last season. While he has plenty of time to develop he isnt a sexy prospect for the A's. He's dropped in most top prospect boards. Look at the Quintana deal for a comp, going to take at least two top 50 guys most likely. If were not trading Brinson or Hader we need a better deal than Ray, Dubon and Ortiz I would imagine, not by much though we could just need a sweetener like Trent Clark or something. I would be fine with that
#FreeChuckDiesel
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 14,018

Post#307 » by humanrefutation » Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:40 pm

bdpecore wrote:

**** no to that package.
Gianstoppable
Assistant Coach

Post#308 » by Gianstoppable » Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:42 pm

humanrefutation wrote:
bdpecore wrote:

**** no to that package.

For who?
#FreeChuckDiesel
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#309 » by humanrefutation » Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:46 pm

wichmae wrote:
bdpecore wrote:
humanrefutation wrote:
The asking price for middle relievers went way up last year, IMO. The Indians gave up two of their top 5 prospects for Andrew Miller, while the Brewers got bonafide prospects for Thornburg, Jeffress, and Smith.

There is an argument that the Brewers should consider shopping Knebel, Hughes, and Barnes to see what they could get for them.

I'm all for standing pat at the trade deadline or even making a win now trade if the asking price isn't too absorbent but trading away players will be really hard for Mark A and Sterns to justify to its fans.

Whats good for the franchise is whats good for the fans no matter how hard it is to justify. If Hand lands a Verdugo or Torres we would be insanely stupid to not try and maximize value on the most volatile market in baseball.

Yup. I mean, Hughes was sitting on the scrap heap four months ago. Barnes was a middling prospect as of last year. Knebel has been breathing fire recently but we've seen guys like that flame out in Milwaukee before.

I'm not putting them on the block, but I'm definitely sending out feelers to see if we can get quality controllable prospects back,
wichmae
RealGM

Post#310 » by wichmae » Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:50 pm

Since when has Sonny Gray been an ace? He probably a 1/2 but he isnt an ace and surely hasnt been one away from the AL West or Oakland for years now. Theres a ton of factors on Gray outside of him being a name. Park factors recent performance over last couple seasons and the style of pitcher he is. he's also had some injury issues. Im not over paying for a guy like this.
Gianstoppable
Assistant Coach

Post#311 » by Gianstoppable » Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:53 pm

wichmae wrote:Since when has Sonny Gray been an ace? He probably a 1/2 but he isnt an ace and surely hasnt been one away from the AL West or Oakland for years now. Theres a ton of factors on Gray outside of him being a name. Park factors recent performance over last couple seasons and the style of pitcher he is. he's also had some injury issues. Im not over paying for a guy like this.

Um, 2014 and 2015? Last year was his only bad season. He was over 200 IP in 14 and 15 with a WHIP under 1.20

Calling him an Ace might be over stated, but hes a very solid #1
#FreeChuckDiesel
mlloyd10
General Manager
And1: 854

Post#312 » by mlloyd10 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:55 pm

wichmae wrote:
humanrefutation wrote:
wichmae wrote:lmfao SD wanted either Verdugo from LAD or Gleyber Torres from NYY for Brad Hand. These asking prices are **** insane.

Hand is probably on the same level as Smith. JJ and TT were closers so I dont think you can compare them. Smith got back one top 75 guy. ASking for a top 10-15 guy for a middle reliever is **** insane.

Verdugo is not all that though - Will finish the year around 35-40 in terms of prospects
wichmae
RealGM

Post#313 » by wichmae » Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:58 pm

Gianstoppable wrote:
wichmae wrote:Since when has Sonny Gray been an ace? He probably a 1/2 but he isnt an ace and surely hasnt been one away from the AL West or Oakland for years now. Theres a ton of factors on Gray outside of him being a name. Park factors recent performance over last couple seasons and the style of pitcher he is. he's also had some injury issues. Im not over paying for a guy like this.

Um, 2014 and 2015?

Its 2017. By that account we really should be going after old Cy Young winners. He just isnt a guy to give up a big package for.
mlloyd10
General Manager
And1: 854

Post#314 » by mlloyd10 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:59 pm

Gray has a career road ERA of 3.39

Gray last 8 starts 3.03 ERA
wichmae
RealGM

Post#315 » by wichmae » Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:03 pm

mlloyd10 wrote:
wichmae wrote:
humanrefutation wrote:

Hand is probably on the same level as Smith. JJ and TT were closers so I dont think you can compare them. Smith got back one top 75 guy. ASking for a top 10-15 guy for a middle reliever is **** insane.

Verdugo is not all that though - Will finish the year around 35-40 in terms of prospects

I highly doubt that. He's OPSing .872 and has one of the best hit tools in baseball. HE also plays for the Dodgers. He'll be top 20-25
wichmae
RealGM

Post#316 » by wichmae » Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:06 pm

mlloyd10 wrote:Gray has a career road ERA of 3.39

Gray last 8 starts 3.03 ERA

Youre cherry picking though. He's in the NL West. SEA, OAK, LAA all extreme pitching parks. He's coming to an extreme hitting park division.
Gianstoppable
Assistant Coach

Post#317 » by Gianstoppable » Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:07 pm

wichmae wrote:
Gianstoppable wrote:

Um, 2014 and 2015?

Its 2017. By that account we really should be going after old Cy Young winners. He just isnt a guy to give up a big package for.

seriously? A great pitcher has one bad year from injury LAST YEAR and you don't want him? You're delusional
#FreeChuckDiesel
wichmae
RealGM

Post#318 » by wichmae » Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:07 pm

Theres plenty to be concerned about. Minus his last few starts he's been bad and he's in a pitching friendly division. Im not on board with what the cost is going to be.
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#319 » by humanrefutation » Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:09 pm

wichmae wrote:
humanrefutation wrote:

Being designated a "closer" has less value that it used to, because I think more teams are starting to figure out that you should use your best reliever in high-leverage moments no matter what inning its in, ala Andrew Miller. Most of Miller's career was spent in middle relief - as it was for TT and JJ.

Also, Brad Hand just made an All-Star team, which does boost his value a bit.

That isn't to say that I disagree that the asking price for Hand is insane. But I think the market is insane right now.
bdpecore
Assistant Coach

Post#320 » by bdpecore » Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:11 pm

Gianstoppable wrote:
bdpecore wrote:
Gianstoppable wrote:

Ray turns 23 in 2 months and has a .308 OBP in high A and had a .307 OBP last season. While he has plenty of time to develop he isnt a sexy prospect for the A's. He's dropped in most top prospect boards. Look at the Quintana deal for a comp, going to take at least two top 50 guys most likely. If were not trading Brinson or Hader we need a better deal than Ray, Dubon and Ortiz I would imagine, not by much though we could just need a sweetener like Trent Clark or something. I would be fine with that

You cannot compare the package the White Sox got for Quintana to what the A's would want for Gray. Quintana has one extra year of team contorl and has been much more consistent over his career especially those away from home. He is also on a team friendly contract where as Gray will likely be going year to year through arbitration which means his salary will likely be much higher next season. I'm all for sending out a quality package as long as we are not thinning out our depth at positions of weakness. Keeping Hader and Woodruff wile sending out Ortiz works for me. And I'd much rather keep Brinson, Phillips and Diaz than Ray and Dubon. But to say any of the three i listed in my offer would not be deemed valuable to the A's is ridiculous. Ray and Ortiz would be top 5 prospects while Dubon would likely be in the top 10 of an already very good farm system.

Return to Milwaukee Brewers