2017 Trade Rumors Thread

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25, humanrefutation

El Duderino
RealGM
And1: 1,324

Re: 2017 Trade Rumors Thread 

Post#981 » by El Duderino » Tue Aug 8, 2017 8:48 pm

JimmyTheKid wrote:
Gianstoppable wrote:We could take on Phillips and Granderson just to stop gap until year end and roll with the rookies next season. They might jump start the offense, maybe not but it shouldnt take much

:nod:

Where does Granderson play for the Brewers given he's a corner OF?

Phillips is a Perez clone. An impatient hacker with a near identical OPS.
BUCKnation
RealGM
And1: 2,942

Post#982 » by BUCKnation » Tue Aug 8, 2017 8:54 pm

Granderson would be such a pointless move. No idea why that rumor keeps persisting. He's barely better Broxton at the plate.
Gianstoppable
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,629

Post#983 » by Gianstoppable » Tue Aug 8, 2017 11:16 pm

El Duderino wrote:
JimmyTheKid wrote:
Gianstoppable wrote:We could take on Phillips and Granderson just to stop gap until year end and roll with the rookies next season. They might jump start the offense, maybe not but it shouldnt take much

:nod:

Where does Granderson play for the Brewers given he's a corner OF?

Phillips is a Perez clone. An impatient hacker with a near identical OPS.

Granderson, 4th OF and bench bat

Phillips gets on base, Perez does not. Not saying hes a starter all year, but another good bench bat and vet that wont cost much at all
#FreeChuckDiesel
wichmae
RealGM
And1: 1,031

Post#984 » by wichmae » Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:46 pm

Kinsler, Phillips, Granderson, or Verlander arent fixing anything on this team right now. Dont touch any of them.....
mlloyd10
General Manager
And1: 854

Post#985 » by mlloyd10 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:19 pm

wichmae wrote:Kinsler, Phillips, Granderson, or Verlander arent fixing anything on this team right now. Dont touch any of them.....

Kerb Hohl
RealGM
And1: 4,171
Location: Hmmmm...how many 1sts would Jason Richardson cost...?

Post#986 » by Kerb Hohl » Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:26 pm

mlloyd10 wrote:
wichmae wrote:Kinsler, Phillips, Granderson, or Verlander arent fixing anything on this team right now. Dont touch any of them.....

Not enough to win the division even with the struggling Cubs.

If it costs basically zero prospects and just $...fine. As I noted several times earlier in the thread, it appears that once again Verlander is ramping it up in the 2nd half of the season and is dominating. I'd consider taking him even with the glut of possible guys we already have for the rotation in the next few years.
wichmae
RealGM

Post#987 » by wichmae » Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:32 pm

mlloyd10 wrote:

They arent.
Verlander has a 4.71 xFIP (is 34 owed 60 million)
Kinsler .263 BABIP and since ASB and is a negative WAR offensive player (Is 35 in a walk year)
Phillips while hitting .285 somehow still has a negative offensive WAR. (Again 36 in a walk year)
But hey players barely above replacement will fix all this.
Were tied for the lowest OPS in baseball since the All Star break with the Rays
Weve scored a league low 79 runs since All Star break
Were tied for 2nd in baseball with 6 blown saves since ASB (25 games)
Jacob Barnes has an ERA of 6.75, a BAA of .311, and is tied for the league lead in HR allowed for relievers in the 2nd half Hes given up 3. He gave up 4 all first half.
Since the ASB we have scored 3 or fewer runs in 19 of 25 games.
We are 9-16 post ASB.

Look at the big picture and what post ASB numbers I put in the series thread. One player let alone barely above replacement players arent going to help this team on ounce. You could make an argument for Ivan De Jesus or Nate Orf before trading any asset no matter how small and dropping 10+ million on barely replacement players.
wichmae
RealGM

Post#988 » by wichmae » Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:36 pm

Kerb Hohl wrote:
mlloyd10 wrote:

If it costs basically zero prospects and just $...fine. As I noted several times earlier in the thread, it appears that once again Verlander is ramping it up in the 2nd half of the season and is dominating. I'd consider taking him even with the glut of possible guys we already have for the rotation in the next few years.

What do you do with him though. You have 3 locks Davies, Anderson, and Nelson. Woodruff will be 25 and deserves the shot over a then 35 year old Verlander and Suter who also deserves the shot. This is all not considering. Hader, Guerra, Garza (who has exactly the same xFIP as Verlander and costs only 5 mil), and even Jungmann who has pitched very well. It just doesnt make any sense.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM

Post#989 » by Kerb Hohl » Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:47 pm

wichmae wrote:
Kerb Hohl wrote:
mlloyd10 wrote:

What do you do with him though. You have 3 locks Davies, Anderson, and Nelson. Woodruff will be 25 and deserves the shot over a then 35 year old Verlander and Suter who also deserves the shot. This is all not considering. Hader, Guerra, Garza (who has exactly the same xFIP as Verlander and costs only 5 mil), and even Jungmann who has pitched very well. It just doesnt make any sense.

I'm not dying to get Verlander, but his velocity is where it has been for a few years and he has been basically one of the best pitchers in baseball in the 2nd half the past few years.

Does Suter have one option left? To me, Suter is the AAA/long relief/emergency guy if anything.

The only reason Verlander piques my interest is that he's a guy that can pitch like a top pitcher and it hopefully only comes at a financial cost, which we can absorb.

It's not going to happen anyways but I'd only take him if Detroit's ownership was dying to cut costs (I don't think they are) and just basically gave him away and made the Brewers take on most/all of the contract.
wichmae
RealGM

Post#990 » by wichmae » Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:03 pm

Kerb Hohl wrote:
wichmae wrote:
Kerb Hohl wrote:

I'm not dying to get Verlander, but his velocity is where it has been for a few years and he has been basically one of the best pitchers in baseball in the 2nd half the past few years.

Does Suter have one option left? To me, Suter is the AAA/long relief/emergency guy if anything.

The only reason Verlander piques my interest is that he's a guy that can pitch like a top pitcher and it hopefully only comes at a financial cost, which we can absorb.

It's not going to happen anyways but I'd only take him if Detroit's ownership was dying to cut costs (I don't think they are) and just basically gave him away and made the Brewers take on most/all of the contract.

I dunno man. Chase had his first rehab start Tuesday. Sure you can option Suter down and not burn one since he was already sent down this year but he's been one of the better pitchers since the Chase injury and only owed 500K for the next 3 seasons. Trading for Verlander isnt just a this year thing. YOure paying 60 mil for age 35 and 36 season. All well knowing you have probably 4 spots in the rotation already claimed. All while not even considering Hader, Suter, Garza, Jungmann, or any other possible starter on the market. If you trade for Verlander it ends the Hader starter idea or it forces you to move one of the 4 (Nelson, Davies, Anderson, or Woodruff). It literally just doesnt make any sense to do. His yearly salary is 28 million for a player in a career resurgence at 34 who has a larger chance to fall off a cliff. On top of all this he has to approve a trade to come here. If Im paying a 30 million per year salary for a pitcher it better be an ace. No matter how our salary structure looks.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM

Post#991 » by Kerb Hohl » Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:12 pm

wichmae wrote:
Kerb Hohl wrote:
wichmae wrote:What do you do with him though. You have 3 locks Davies, Anderson, and Nelson. Woodruff will be 25 and deserves the shot over a then 35 year old Verlander and Suter who also deserves the shot. This is all not considering. Hader, Guerra, Garza (who has exactly the same xFIP as Verlander and costs only 5 mil), and even Jungmann who has pitched very well. It just doesnt make any sense.

I dunno man. Chase had his first rehab start Tuesday. Sure you can option Suter down and not burn one since he was already sent down this year but he's been one of the better pitchers since the Chase injury and only owed 500K for the next 3 seasons. Trading for Verlander isnt just a this year thing. YOure paying 60 mil for age 35 and 36 season. All well knowing you have probably 4 spots in the rotation already claimed. All while not even considering Hader, Suter, Garza, Jungmann, or any other possible starter on the market. If you trade for Verlander it ends the Hader starter idea or it forces you to move one of the 4 (Nelson, Davies, Anderson, or Woodruff). It literally just doesnt make any sense to do. His yearly salary is 28 million for a player in a career resurgence at 34 who has a larger chance to fall off a cliff. On top of all this he has to approve a trade to come here. If Im paying a 30 million per year salary for a pitcher it better be an ace. No matter how our salary structure looks.

Yeah, like I said I'm not very in favor of this but I'd consider it. I'd trade Garza for an equally iffy bullpen piece or something like that. Hader could do one more year starting in the pen and work into the rotation when an injury occurs. Suter can go up and down and Guerra can fake injuries like other teams do every few weeks if the rotation is full.

It's not going to happen nor is it something I'm jumping to do but he seems to still have the ability to overpower and I'm not sure how else we're going to spend money the next 2 years. We can overpay bullpen and 2B but the options in free agency aren't great this coming offseason.

I am truly not begging them to do this as there is still probably a pitching logjam, but it's something I'd rather do than pay up prospects for a bigger name at any position.
wichmae
RealGM

Post#992 » by wichmae » Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:24 pm

Kerb Hohl wrote:
wichmae wrote:
Kerb Hohl wrote:

Yeah, like I said I'm not very in favor of this but I'd consider it. I'd trade Garza for an equally iffy bullpen piece or something like that. Hader could do one more year starting in the pen and work into the rotation when an injury occurs. Suter can go up and down and Guerra can fake injuries like other teams do every few weeks if the rotation is full.

It's not going to happen nor is it something I'm jumping to do but he seems to still have the ability to overpower and I'm not sure how else we're going to spend money the next 2 years. We can overpay bullpen and 2B but the options in free agency aren't great this coming offseason.

I am truly not begging them to do this as there is still probably a pitching logjam, but it's something I'd rather do than pay up prospects for a bigger name at any position.

Just because you have the ability to spend money doesnt mean you have to light it on fire. Next year Verlander will be the 7th highest paid player in baseball. Let that sink in for a second. Kinsler, Phillips, and Verlander are all incredibly stupid moves to make for a team in our position. Especially Verlander. Theres a reason why teams are literally trying to give guys like this away. The overall cost in terms of money, cap impact, roster flexibility, and production do not warrant the overall potential outcome.
wichmae
RealGM

Post#993 » by wichmae » Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:32 pm

Verlander so far 2nd half 3.95 xFIP
Suter is 4.14 xFIP.
28 million dollar difference.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM

Post#994 » by Kerb Hohl » Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:36 pm

wichmae wrote:Just because you have the ability to spend money doesnt mean you have to light it on fire. Next year Verlander will be the 7th highest paid player in baseball. Let that sink in for a second. Kinsler, Phillips, and Verlander are all incredibly stupid moves to make for a team in our position. Especially Verlander. Theres a reason why teams are literally trying to give guys like this away. The overall cost in terms of money, cap impact, roster flexibility, and production do not warrant the overall potential outcome.

I don't mind Kinsler, Phillips, or Verlander if they cost nothing (in terms of prospects) even though I think they all suck at this point save for Verlander being a pretty good pitcher with age risk. All season I was in the camp of letting Villar work through his issues but he's getting close to the point where I'm ready to write him off.

I know that I just said I don't want those guys to mlloyd, but that is simply because that is under the assumption that they'll cost something.

Dubon, Suter, Guerra (if his velocity never returns), Jungmann, Garza's final contract year are all AAAA/depth to me.

Similar to when we were overpaying for free agent vets in the 2011-2015 era when we'd already jumped the shark and dealt away our farm system, it wasn't something I'd have been all for, but nobody's being blocked and we're not losing valuable players from the system so it's whatever to me.

Now, adding Verlander does create a crunch in the rotation, but I only really value 6 or 7 of them and we can string the season along with minor injuries.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM

Post#995 » by Kerb Hohl » Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:38 pm

wichmae wrote:Verlander so far 2nd half 3.95 xFIP
Suter is 4.14 xFIP.
28 million dollar difference.

The book is probably out on Suter now. He's a guy that I love that we have around as rotation depth in AAA. If we're counting on him to be a mainstay in next year's rotation remind me to not watch.
mlloyd10
General Manager

Post#996 » by mlloyd10 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:58 pm

Suter should be moved to the pen
Kerb Hohl
RealGM

Post#997 » by Kerb Hohl » Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:01 pm

mlloyd10 wrote:Suter should be moved to the pen

If Suter has an option next year, I'm fine with him just being the jack-of-all-trades sitting there in AAA. He's not a massive asset in the bullpen because he's not a guy that is lethal against lefties. He'd be a useful long relief guy that can do relief or emergency start. He's just a solid pitcher that I don't hate seeing as the listed starter if some injuries happen.
mlloyd10
General Manager

Post#998 » by mlloyd10 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:07 pm

Kerb Hohl wrote:

If Suter has an option next year, I'm fine with him just being the jack-of-all-trades sitting there in AAA. He's not a massive asset in the bullpen because he's not a guy that is lethal against lefties. He'd be a useful long relief guy that can do relief or emergency start. He's just a solid pitcher that I don't hate seeing as the listed starter if some injuries happen.

Exactly - He is a guy that can be put in if the starter doesn't have it and give you 3-4 innings
wichmae
RealGM

Post#999 » by wichmae » Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:33 pm

Kerb Hohl wrote:

The numbers dont agree with you though. He's fared quite a bit better as a starter until he runs through order for 3rd time. Suter's biggest statistical weakness is high leverage situations and walks. He gives up a .418 BAA in high leverage situations. The way the numbers look across the board his best role is probably a 4-5 inning starter and again youre talking about someone who can do this at 500K for two more seasons after this one. I saw your post about jumping the gun and overpaying for vets. 60 million for Verlander is exactly that. A vet in his age 35 and 36 season making 1/4 of the teams payroll is overpaying unless theyre an ace. YOu have two players on the roster making over 50 million a year in Verlander and Braun who arent even remotely performing at even an above average win contribution.
Plus add in that the starting pitching on this team should be one of tha last positions we funnel massive financial assets in to. This pen is a nightmare. Our second base situation is a mess that needs a long term solution. We need to grow and nurture our upper level young talent to maximize their potential, and need to pray that Travis Shaw doesnt regress (the first base platoon as well).
For what Verlander will get you on the field you could look at Estrada, Cashner, Cahill, Lance Lynn, Chatwood, or Alex Cobb at an absolute fraction of that 28 mil per year. Ending baseball games are a problem for this team. Not starting them.
wichmae
RealGM

Post#1000 » by wichmae » Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:41 pm

Verlanders K/BB is a career worst. His BABIP is the highest its been since 2014. He's also projected to have the worst WAR of his career. His pitch contact percentage is the highest its been since 2007 and has a ridiculous 35% hard hit ball ratio (this is actually insanely high). Again, theres a reason he's basically free and I want him no where near the Brewers.

Return to Milwaukee Brewers