Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25, humanrefutation

WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,664

Re: Brewers vs D'Backs: Hader debut and Phillips back 

Post#21 » by WeekapaugGroove » Sat Jun 10, 2017 5:36 am

Knebel throws straight fire.

Sent from my SM-G930V using RealGM mobile app
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM

Post#22 » by WeekapaugGroove » Sat Jun 10, 2017 5:44 am

So if villar is gone for the yr what now at 2nd? Sogard and Perez and leave Phillips up to play CF with broxton as in a platoon? Do they consider duhon? Probably not but dudes not your normal aa guy and might be ready. Give rivera a shot?

Edit- so its a back injury for villar.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
sdn40
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,418

Post#23 » by sdn40 » Sat Jun 10, 2017 5:44 am

That 12-6 curveball alongside his 99 mph heater is just plain sick
Iheartfootball
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,178

Post#24 » by Iheartfootball » Sat Jun 10, 2017 6:14 am

wichmae wrote:Watched the Carolina game tonight first. Before I dive into the Brewers game how bad has Brett looked? Completely overmatched?

I saw two of his ABs. Strike out that he waved at a few pitches, took a couple balls, fouled off one or two, and went down looking. It was okay.

Then he had a nice single between short and second base that was bobbled in LF so he hustled it out for a single and an error to second.

I was impressed with his speed and hustle. He took a chance on the hit, but not a dumb 'Villar' kind of chance. He looked just fine. Needs more reps.

In the OF he looked okay. Arm as you already know is a cannon. He kinda misplayed a triple from Blanco but it would've been a triple no matter what I think.

Reminds me of Arcia. I think his defense will keep him in the lineup and it will just take time for his bat to catch up.
El Duderino
RealGM
And1: 1,324

Post#25 » by El Duderino » Sat Jun 10, 2017 6:55 am

trwi7 wrote:Wouldn't be shocked if Drake isn't on the team this time tomorrow. He's legitimately awful and Counsell looked pissed when he had to go get him.

I hope so. This bullpen sucks in general, but Drake is as bad as it gets. An ERA over 5 and a 1.64 WHIP. Try anyone else from the minors. I'm tired of watching this scrub get trotted out there.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM

Re: RE: Re: Brewers vs D'Backs: Hader debut and Phillips back 

Post#26 » by WeekapaugGroove » Sat Jun 10, 2017 7:21 am

Iheartfootball wrote:
wichmae wrote:Watched the Carolina game tonight first. Before I dive into the Brewers game how bad has Brett looked? Completely overmatched?

I saw two of his ABs. Strike out that he waved at a few pitches, took a couple balls, fouled off one or two, and went down looking. It was okay.

Then he had a nice single between short and second base that was bobbled in LF so he hustled it out for a single and an error to second.

I was impressed with his speed and hustle. He took a chance on the hit, but not a dumb 'Villar' kind of chance. He looked just fine. Needs more reps.

In the OF he looked okay. Arm as you already know is a cannon. He kinda misplayed a triple from Blanco but it would've been a triple no matter what I think.

Reminds me of Arcia. I think his defense will keep him in the lineup and it will just take time for his bat to catch up.

Yeah that triple was gonna be a triple either way but he definitely approached it like a young dude trying to make a play on a ball he obviously couldn't. To me he looks like a dude who needs to see some mlb pitchers and get his feet under him.

It leads to a more broad question of whats better for a young players development. Is it better to get up and take your lumps against mlb pitching or continue to hone your craft in AAA? Is it worth burning some service time to get adjusted. I tend to favor throwing a guy in the pool and seeing if they can play and as a rebuilding team one of your assets is playing time and the chance to let guys figure it out so why not use it. But I might be too aggressive in that thinking.

Its the arcia question. Is he better right now than he would have been if left in AAA? Was it worth a year of service time?

Prickle
Senior
And1: 221

Post#27 » by Prickle » Sat Jun 10, 2017 7:53 am

El Duderino wrote:
trwi7 wrote:Wouldn't be shocked if Drake isn't on the team this time tomorrow. He's legitimately awful and Counsell looked pissed when he had to go get him.

I hope so. This bullpen sucks in general, but Drake is as bad as it gets. An ERA over 5 and a 1.64 WHIP. Try anyone else from the minors. I'm tired of watching this scrub get trotted out there.

But less Drake will probably just mean more Torres, and less Torres will probably just mean more Feliz. Ugh...they all make me want to vomit, at this point. The Brewers could very realistically have a 6 or 7 game lead in the division right now.
Prickle
Senior

Post#28 » by Prickle » Sat Jun 10, 2017 8:10 am

blazza18 wrote:I don't know how Villar got up to throw that. Hell of a play. Hope he's alright.

For real. Quite possibly the game-saving play. You'll rarely see a diving stop by an infielder better than that. Guys often dive for balls that they don't necessarily need to, which makes the play look nice and all, but Villar had absolute full-extension on that, and even caught the ball behind his body.
Prickle
Senior

Post#29 » by Prickle » Sat Jun 10, 2017 9:08 am

And speaking of Villar....I'm sure it's been brought up before, but how much do you all think his struggles have had to do with his position change? I mean, the guy pretty much has an All-Star year, then immediately loses his job the following year. Most position changes are probably not that big of deal, but speaking from my own experience (someone who played SS my whole life), I think losing the starting SS spot could've had a major impact on the dude's psyche. Think about it - from t-ball, through little league, through High School, through college, and so on....the most talented defender on the team is almost always at shortstop. There is a certain confidence level, and even ego that develops from this. And if you lose your your starting spot, that confidence and ego takes a hit, which could very naturally affect the rest of your game.

There are always young players ready to take your spot. Ripken wasn't happy about moving to 3rd, even when it obvious he was past his prime (this is that ego I'm talking about), so imagine how it must feel to be Villar - who's just entering his prime. Obviously, Ripken and Villar are apples and oranges, but you get the point.

The reasonable argument to what I just said would be this: Most players in the MLB were probably shortstops (and pitchers) for much of their young baseball careers, and gradually dispersed to different positions as they went up through the ranks. So it's something a lot of players have to go through, even if it's once you're in the show. I guess I'm just looking for some sort of magical answer or reason for Villar's struggles. Or it could be that I'm just drunk and rambling, in which case I'll forget I even wrote this, until someone replies and tomorrow I get to go discover all the cool stuff I posted the night before. :D
Iheartfootball
Lead Assistant

Brewers vs D'Backs: Hader debut and Phillips back 

Post#30 » by Iheartfootball » Sat Jun 10, 2017 10:01 pm

I think Villar's struggles are related to him pressing after rejecting that extension. He's got the talent and tools. He lacks focus.
Iheartfootball
Lead Assistant

Brewers vs D'Backs: Hader debut and Phillips back 

Post#31 » by Iheartfootball » Sun Jun 11, 2017 2:00 am

Davey Nelson just called him Paul Goldsmith.

Yep. They pay someone for that mediocre garbage.
StickeeFingaz
RealGM
And1: 6,656

Post#32 » by StickeeFingaz » Sun Jun 11, 2017 2:08 am

Iheartfootball wrote:Davey Nelson just called him Paul Goldsmith.

Yep. They pay someone for that mediocre garbage.

LMAO. Oh, Davey.
#FreeChuckDiesel
StickeeFingaz
RealGM
And1: 6,656

Post#33 » by StickeeFingaz » Sun Jun 11, 2017 2:25 am

It was either Lepay or Schroeder who said Brinson is still on his way to the park which would explain why he isn't in the lineup.
#FreeChuckDiesel
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,017

Post#34 » by ReasonablySober » Sun Jun 11, 2017 3:16 am

I can't believe the Brewers are winning.
BigDee
RealGM
And1: 1,349

Post#35 » by BigDee » Sun Jun 11, 2017 3:24 am

How about that Perez.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
BigDee
RealGM

Post#36 » by BigDee » Sun Jun 11, 2017 3:36 am

Nice play

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
Kerb Hohl
RealGM
And1: 4,171
Location: Hmmmm...how many 1sts would Jason Richardson cost...?

Post#37 » by Kerb Hohl » Sun Jun 11, 2017 3:36 am

God damnit, Arcia. Just take the out at 1st.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM

Post#38 » by WeekapaugGroove » Sun Jun 11, 2017 3:38 am

Brutal sequence thames butchers one to give them a triple then arcia a tick late on the play at home.

Iheartfootball
Lead Assistant

Post#39 » by Iheartfootball » Sun Jun 11, 2017 4:02 am

Hader's getting warm!
BigDee
RealGM

Post#40 » by BigDee » Sun Jun 11, 2017 4:02 am

Unbelievable can we get out the inning.