Meh: 17%
Below Average Manager: 3%
Fire Him Now: 1%
trwi7
RealGM
And1: 26,392

Re: The Craig Counsell Thread 

Post#102 » by trwi7 » Sun Jul 22, 2018 5:53 am

stellation wrote:What's the difference between Gery Woelful and this glass of mineral water? The mineral water actually has a source."

I Hate Manure wrote:We look to be awful next season without Beasley.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM
And1: 4,171
Location: Hmmmm...how many 1sts would Jason Richardson cost...?

Post#103 » by Kerb Hohl » Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:23 pm

Using Knebel as "closer" doesn't really bother me. Hader is still the highest leverage guy. Knebel's blown saves have been with Hader/Jeffress mostly not able to be used that day (I haven't fact-checked this but that is my general feel).

Even before Knebel's injury, it seemed like they were using him in the 8th at times if the 9th looked better for someone like Hader and I wouldn't be surprised to see them keep doing it.

Why is he saying it's a bad thing to use guys like Jennings (in bad situations) when they trail? That's smart. I'm not wasting Jeffress innings. I'd rather lose 7-2 and not use Jeffress than lose 4-2 and use Jeffress. "Here is the DRA of some pitchers, which is a really advanced, helpful stat. Now let me judge the bottom of the bullpen on ERA completely without context. They called up Mike Zagurski who basically pitched a handful meaningless innings after blowing one game."

It's not a bad article because my opinion of Counsell has always been on the "pretty good" side and he hasn't been perfect...but I think some of the weaknesses mentioned are non-issues or actual strengths.
MAC1987
Starter
And1: 526

Post#104 » by MAC1987 » Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:29 am

Kerb Hohl wrote:

Using Knebel as "closer" doesn't really bother me. Hader is still the highest leverage guy. Knebel's blown saves have been with Hader/Jeffress mostly not able to be used that day (I haven't fact-checked this but that is my general feel).

Even before Knebel's injury, it seemed like they were using him in the 8th at times if the 9th looked better for someone like Hader and I wouldn't be surprised to see them keep doing it.

Why is he saying it's a bad thing to use guys like Jennings (in bad situations) when they trail? That's smart. I'm not wasting Jeffress innings. I'd rather lose 7-2 and not use Jeffress than lose 4-2 and use Jeffress. "Here is the DRA of some pitchers, which is a really advanced, helpful stat. Now let me judge the bottom of the bullpen on ERA completely without context. They called up Mike Zagurski who basically pitched a handful meaningless innings after blowing one game."

It's not a bad article because my opinion of Counsell has always been on the "pretty good" side and he hasn't been perfect...but I think some of the weaknesses mentioned are non-issues or actual strengths.

So I've read some people say we shouldn't have a traditional set closer. That you use the best right away. Well the Brewers are arguably doing that. Hader, Jeffress, Knebel.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM
And1: 4,171
Location: Hmmmm...how many 1sts would Jason Richardson cost...?

Post#105 » by Kerb Hohl » Wed Jul 25, 2018 2:48 pm

MAC1987 wrote:
Kerb Hohl wrote:

So I've read some people say we shouldn't have a traditional set closer. That you use the best right away. Well the Brewers are arguably doing that. Hader, Jeffress, Knebel.

Exactly...so I personally don't mind.
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 13,969

Post#106 » by humanrefutation » Thu Feb 7, 2019 11:07 pm

With pitchers and catchers reporting soon, thought I'd go ahead and bump this up. Change your votes if you so choose to, and I'll update OP. We'll close the vote at the start of the year.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,663

Post#107 » by WeekapaugGroove » Fri Feb 8, 2019 9:38 pm

I was in the "good" category but I was talking brewers with my neighbor who pitches for a NL team and he went out of his way to heap praise on Councell for being a good manager and great person. Said his friends who'd played for him can't say enough good things about the dude.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,011

Post#108 » by ReasonablySober » Fri Feb 8, 2019 11:15 pm

Changed from Meh to Great.
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#109 » by humanrefutation » Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:42 pm

Went from Meh to Good. I've heard so much praise for him this offseason from baseball people - especially for his embrace of analytics - and clearly the team had their best finish since 1982. I do think he was a little too aggressive in pulling his starters down the stretch and that taxed the pen, but we went to Game 7 of the NLCS at home with a rotation led by Jhoulys Chacin, so I can't hate too much on that.
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#110 » by humanrefutation » Thu Mar 28, 2019 3:25 pm

Alright, locking this up for now.

Update as of 3/28/19 (Opening Day 2019):
Great Manager: 15%
Good Manager: 67%
Meh: 14%
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#111 » by humanrefutation » Sat Jul 13, 2019 2:55 am

Bumped.

We're about halfway through the season. Cast/Change your votes as needed! We'll run this for a week.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,011

Post#112 » by ReasonablySober » Sat Jul 13, 2019 5:54 am

I mean, you can't make chicken salad from chicken ****. The pitching staff sucks. Not CC's fault.
BUCKnation
RealGM
And1: 2,943

Post#113 » by BUCKnation » Sat Jul 13, 2019 11:01 pm

I haven't watched as much this season, but from always following the box score at least, I can't really fault him for the reasons we've been losing.
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#114 » by humanrefutation » Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:33 pm

Update as of 7/23/19
Great Manager: 15%
Good Manager: 69%
Meh: 12%