ImageImage

Padres @ Brewers

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25, humanrefutation

sdn40
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,418

Re: Padres @ Brewers 

Post#61 » by sdn40 » Sun Jun 18, 2017 5:35 pm

Counsell is managing to win each game this season, he is not managing to win a game in 2019. Brinson will get some burn to see how he performs and gain some experience, but they likely already have a better feel than any fan forum member. Service time is not an issue because he will be up sooner rather than later. Brinson has 18 AB's and 9 SO's.
Turk Nowitzki
RealGM
And1: 9,909

Post#62 » by Turk Nowitzki » Sun Jun 18, 2017 6:49 pm

oh **** off Arcia
Turk Nowitzki
RealGM

Post#63 » by Turk Nowitzki » Sun Jun 18, 2017 6:49 pm

It takes talent to turn this inning into zero runs.
Turk Nowitzki
RealGM

Post#64 » by Turk Nowitzki » Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:08 pm

THIS IS **** ABSURD
Turk Nowitzki
RealGM

Post#65 » by Turk Nowitzki » Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:12 pm

They've had Perdomo in absolute jail every inning with nothing to show for it.
Turk Nowitzki
RealGM

Post#66 » by Turk Nowitzki » Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:27 pm

Of course they immediately cash in our first mistake, **** this.
BigDee
RealGM
And1: 1,349

Post#67 » by BigDee » Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:58 pm

Perez and Piña hr.
Turk Nowitzki
RealGM

Post#68 » by Turk Nowitzki » Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:48 pm

JIMMY!
BigDee
RealGM
And1: 1,349

Post#69 » by BigDee » Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:50 pm

Way to go the distance.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 14,019

Post#70 » by humanrefutation » Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:58 pm

Those powder blues are dope.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,051

Post#71 » by ReasonablySober » Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:59 pm

This team is the best.
coolhandluke121
RealGM
And1: 6,852

Post#72 » by coolhandluke121 » Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:06 pm

Side note: It ruined the romantic innocence of my childhood when I found out that the hot chick in the Anything For Love video wasn't the actual singer, but I got the next phase of my childhood back when Meatloaf finally admitted that the song was about refusing to take a strap-on in the butt. His lady-friend never asked again after hearing the song.
Wut we've got here is... faaailure... to communakate.
wichmae
RealGM
And1: 1,031

Post#73 » by wichmae » Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:30 pm

sdn40 wrote:Counsell is managing to win each game this season, he is not managing to win a game in 2019. Brinson will get some burn to see how he performs and gain some experience, but they likely already have a better feel than any fan forum member. Service time is not an issue because he will be up sooner rather than later. Brinson has 18 AB's and 9 SO's.

Service time is an issue. Its the biggest issue. Why have him up if the PT isnt there. The point is dont burn service time if he's not going to play. Its really not even arguable to try and make any other point. You dont call up your top guy and not play him every day. Its idiotic. If thats the intention dont gamble on burning clock for your top guy by wasting service time.
coolhandluke121
RealGM

Post#74 » by coolhandluke121 » Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:51 pm

I'm gonna play devil's advocate but I think this rebuild is clearly ahead of schedule, regardless of whether you think they're gonna stay above .500 this year, and it doesn't hurt to get these guys a little experience at the expense of their service time so they're ready to be good as early as next year. The Brewers could be really good sooner than later if some of their prospects get the rookie jitters out of the way this year, but they're still going to play whoever gives them the best chance to win on any given day because they're in first place and we're almost halfway through the season.

I actually hate keeping guys in the minors a little too long more than wasting some of their service time too soon. The best years for baseball players are at age 27 on average, and I don't like to see much of a guy's physical prime wasted in the minors. And it's not like all of Brinson's service time is being wasted. It's only been, what, 3 games that he didn't start? And he got an ab in each of those games anyway. How do you weigh that loss against Hernan's production and especially Broxton's (OPS close to 1.500 since Brinson came up) and what it could do for their trade value?

I would have brought up Wren, but I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt for now. I'm hoping they can trade Broxton and still stay above .500 while playing Brinson in cf every day, and I think a month of service time is worth the price.
wichmae
RealGM
And1: 1,031

Post#75 » by wichmae » Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:15 am

Im sorry CHL but burning service time for your top guy to sit on the bench is a "Bucks" type of thing to do. Its asset mismanagement. Especially your top asset. If youre going to bring your TOP prospect. Just bring up an org. guy and play who you wanted to play to begin with
Iheartfootball
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,178

Post#76 » by Iheartfootball » Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:59 am

wichmae wrote:
sdn40 wrote:Counsell is managing to win each game this season, he is not managing to win a game in 2019. Brinson will get some burn to see how he performs and gain some experience, but they likely already have a better feel than any fan forum member. Service time is not an issue because he will be up sooner rather than later. Brinson has 18 AB's and 9 SO's.

Service time is an issue. Its the biggest issue. Why have him up if the PT isnt there. The point is dont burn service time if he's not going to play. Its really not even arguable to try and make any other point. You dont call up your top guy and not play him every day. Its idiotic. If thats the intention dont gamble on burning clock for your top guy by wasting service time.

I guess I didn't realize that. Then I agree, if he's not going to play send him down. Not sure it makes sense otherwise.
El Duderino
RealGM
And1: 1,324

Post#77 » by El Duderino » Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:36 am

I'd assume that Brinson will be sent down when either Braun or Villar gets off the DL first.

Speaking of Brinson, i never understood why he was kept on the big league roster and Phillips sent down?

Phillips was playing better in the minors and the team could have used a lefthanded bat more.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,672

Re: RE: Re: Padres @ Brewers 

Post#78 » by WeekapaugGroove » Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:05 am

El Duderino wrote:I'd assume that Brinson will be sent down when either Braun or Villar gets off the DL first.

Speaking of Brinson, i never understood why he was kept on the big league roster and Phillips sent down?

Phillips was playing better in the minors and the team could have used a lefthanded bat more.

I'm not positive they will send him back down and if they do I expect him to be back up quickly. The timing of when he was brought up sure looked like they felt he was past the super 2 threshold and they were ready to jump into his first yr of service time. Much like they did with arcia last yr, and like arcia he should be starting and getting his feet under him so hes comfortable and ready to produce next year.

Broxsons hot streak has probably hurt brinsons pt some. I think he was about to lose the cf job before he started hitting a few bombs in between ks.

Sent from my SM-G930V using RealGM mobile app
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
Prickle
Senior
And1: 221

Post#79 » by Prickle » Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:01 am

wichmae wrote:IM sorry but Sogard and Perez are established league aver age players. I agree with Twirly completely. it makes absolutely zero sense to call up Brinson and burn service time for him to not play. If you arent going to play him then call up Wren or Reed. Its just a really dumb call. Neither Sogard or Perez have remotely close to the ability that Brinson has. If youre going to not play him dont waste his time. Shoulda been WRen or Reed then.

Maybe I missed something, but when did it become common knowledge that Perez wasn't also a part of this team's future? You guys are acting like he's some tired, seasoned veteran whose best days are behind him. He can hit and play multiple positions - he has value for this team. And you can't just say that because X-prospect has more potential talent than Y-everyday big leaguer, that means he should automatically take his place in the everyday lineup. It's a delicate process, especially for a team that is winning and in first place -it usually takes some time for guys to adjust to the show. If the Brewers were in the cellar, then I'd be all for giving all the young guys (Brinson, Phillips) all the playing time. But at this point, why would you want to fix something that isn't broken? Every player on the current roster (excluding pitchers) could conceivably be a part of the team's plans for the next couple years, including Sogard, if he continues to produce. So it's not like we're sacrificing our future for the present; all these guys ARE the team's future, they just happen to be performing better than expected so far. There's nothing wrong with winning while rebuilding; we should be ecstatic right now that the team has fared this well. And what makes it that much more enjoyable, is knowing that we have a stacked group of high-level prospect replenishments, ready and waiting - which bodes well for a prolonged run of success and title contention. Brinson and Phillips will have their time to shine very soon. But why rush the process? A winning team that also has the best farm in the league is not a bad thing.
coolhandluke121
RealGM

Post#80 » by coolhandluke121 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:46 pm

wichmae wrote:Im sorry CHL but burning service time for your top guy to sit on the bench is a "Bucks" type of thing to do. Its asset mismanagement. Especially your top asset. If youre going to bring your TOP prospect. Just bring up an org. guy and play who you wanted to play to begin with

I agree but what I'm saying is it doesn't bother me that much. If they do well in a Broxton trade and Brinson is ready to take over in cf in July without being a liability during the pennant race, then it might even prove to have been a good decision. A Bucks thing to do would be trading him or something. This isn't nearly that bad IMO.

Return to Milwaukee Brewers