Re: Series Thread: Orioles @ Brewers 

Post#41 » by sdn40 » Thu Jul 6, 2017 12:34 am

Dare I say we are getting better ?
blazza18
RealGM
And1: 26,623

Post#42 » by blazza18 » Thu Jul 6, 2017 12:44 am

Didn't realise how average Machado had been this season.

Garza scoreless through 5 is pretty hilarious.
Baddy Chuck wrote:I want to win but I also love chaos.
coolhandluke121
RealGM
And1: 6,851

Post#43 » by coolhandluke121 » Thu Jul 6, 2017 1:35 am

humanrefutation wrote:
MickeyDavis wrote:Hopefully Stearns doesn't go crazy and make any win now moves before the deadline. Resist the temptation. We cannot be buyers.

I'm not worried about Stearns. I'm worried about Attanasio.

Yeah, I agree. A couple years of rebuilding when they had absolutely no choice doesn't atone for 10 years of Kohl-like moves in the chase for .500, baseball's equivalent of the 8th seed. Mark A has said a lot of the right things and I'm cautiously optimistic that he really has turned over a new leaf, but this year will be an intense test for him and his competitive nature could easily still come to the fore.

I trust Stearns too. I think that's part of the misunderstanding when we argue about trades and non-trades. I do trust that Stearns would make a lot of the best deals for the club if given the chance. I'm not sure I trust Mark A that much. Obviously Stearns has a lot of leeway, but that doesn't mean he has total autonomy. It's a little too convenient that they always have an MLB-ready guy ready to step in when they trade somebody, and they don't trade any contributors unless they get really good value. How do we know Mark A doesn't forbid trades like that? How do we know Stearns hasn't wanted to trade more veterans? Does he want more autonomy but accept that he has enough to do his job effectively and bite his tongue?

It's all speculation of course, but all you can go on is Mark A's history. I'm more on the side of twirly and wichmae when it comes to wanting to tank a bit more, even if you get less than fair value in some trades. But maybe if you accept less than fair value in any trade, it makes it harder to negotiate future trades.

All I know for sure is I wish Braun had been traded before his 10/5 rights kicked in and I hope they don't trade any good prospects for immediate help. Maybe a few lesser prospects at loaded positions in the system for some bullpen help, but no more than that.
Wut we've got here is... faaailure... to communakate.
coolhandluke121
RealGM
And1: 6,851

Post#44 » by coolhandluke121 » Thu Jul 6, 2017 1:38 am

Garza back under 4.00 on the season.

[url]Image[/url]
Wut we've got here is... faaailure... to communakate.
Thunder Muscle
RealGM
And1: 1,061

Post#45 » by Thunder Muscle » Thu Jul 6, 2017 2:15 am

Gallardo trade looking alright with Knebel emergence and Diplan on the prospect list yet.
blazza18
RealGM
And1: 26,623

Post#46 » by blazza18 » Thu Jul 6, 2017 2:18 am

Baddy Chuck wrote:I want to win but I also love chaos.
Ryan5UW
General Manager
And1: 989

Post#47 » by Ryan5UW » Thu Jul 6, 2017 2:19 am

I love that you guys still do the maid... well done gents!
"It's an illusion, Michael. A trick is something a whore does for money."
Ripster72
Junior
And1: 458

Post#48 » by Ripster72 » Thu Jul 6, 2017 2:26 am

Oh man do I love this team!
M-C-G
RealGM
And1: 9,368

Post#49 » by M-C-G » Thu Jul 6, 2017 2:50 am

Team is fun to watch that much is for sure

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,664

Post#50 » by WeekapaugGroove » Thu Jul 6, 2017 3:01 am

The Os never had lead that series. Wow

Sent from my SM-G930V using RealGM mobile app
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
Thunder Muscle
RealGM

Post#51 » by Thunder Muscle » Thu Jul 6, 2017 3:08 am

Certainly has been a pleasant season thus far. Creeping into Wild Card picture too.
El Duderino
RealGM
And1: 1,324

Post#52 » by El Duderino » Thu Jul 6, 2017 4:58 am

coolhandluke121 wrote:
humanrefutation wrote:
I'm not worried about Stearns. I'm worried about Attanasio.

Yeah, I agree. A couple years of rebuilding when they had absolutely no choice doesn't atone for 10 years of Kohl-like moves in the chase for .500, baseball's equivalent of the 8th seed. Mark A has said a lot of the right things and I'm cautiously optimistic that he really has turned over a new leaf, but this year will be an intense test for him and his competitive nature could easily still come to the fore.

It's all speculation of course, but all you can go on is Mark A's history.

Here is where i think the difference will mainly come in.

During Melvin's tenure, for the most part i think Doug and Attanasio were like minded in the philosophy of going for it whenever possible. Melvin rarely needing his arm twisted in doing so, even if maybe Attanasio pushed for a move or two which Doug wasn't a fan of.

There was also the factor of Attanasio being a newer owner and the team having such a long playoff drought. So you had both Melvin and a relatively new and anxious owner with like minded views on more short term thinking. I remember Attanasio back then basking in the media attention of the Brewers not just finally making the playoffs, but also that free agents like Ramirez, Hoffman, and others were signing with the Brewers instead of laughing at the idea of playing here.

Enter Stearns and a significantly different GM from Melvin and Attanasio had to clearly know this before making the choice. He didn't hire a guy from the old school vein like Melvin. Given how fabulous Stearns has been in such a short time, i just have a hard time seeing Attanasio coming into Stearns office and making demands of moves which Stearns disagrees with.

Stearns is a quiet/unassuming guy on the outside, but i think he has backbone to him and wouldn't be overruled easy, without it really straining his working relationship with Attanasio.
Prickle
Senior
And1: 221

Post#53 » by Prickle » Thu Jul 6, 2017 8:50 am

MickeyDavis wrote:Hopefully Stearns doesn't go crazy and make any win now moves before the deadline. Resist the temptation. We cannot be buyers.

But you gotta admit how - being a 1st-place team in July, with one of the most potent offenses in the entire league, and one of the best closers in the league - can lead to a little temptation. It sure would be fun to see what this team could do with a little more pitching help.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,026

Post#54 » by ReasonablySober » Thu Jul 6, 2017 9:24 am

Prickle wrote:

But you gotta admit how - being a 1st-place team in July, with one of the most potent offenses in the entire league, and one of the best closers in the league - can lead to a little temptation. It sure would be fun to see what this team could do with a little more pitching help.

I was just listening to my dad go off on the subject this morning. I would call him a casual fan who watches just about every game, and he doesn't particularly care about the personnel so much as the score and the standings. He was pretty assertive that if Stearns stays put at the deadline, provided the Brewers have a first place lead, he'll be torn to shreds and deservedly so. I think he might speak for that casual kind of fan that thinks BIG FARM SYSTEM SO **** IT GO FOR IT. I'm not in that camp. It doesn't matter to me if the Brewers are five up on August 1st, unless they're swapping AAAA talent for back end starter or relief pitching, I'm staying the course.

This has been a super fun season so far and they have a lineup without holes. Ride it out, see where it goes.
MikeIsGood
RealGM
And1: 9,669

Post#55 » by MikeIsGood » Thu Jul 6, 2017 2:43 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:
Prickle wrote:

I was just listening to my dad go off on the subject this morning. I would call him a casual fan who watches just about every game, and he doesn't particularly care about the personnel so much as the score and the standings. He was pretty assertive that if Stearns stays put at the deadline, provided the Brewers have a first place lead, he'll be torn to shreds and deservedly so. I think he might speak for that casual kind of fan that thinks BIG FARM SYSTEM SO **** IT GO FOR IT.

This is my dad, too. I would bet we're going to make a move of some kind to appease them. Hopefully it's not too big of one.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 45,402

Post#56 » by MickeyDavis » Thu Jul 6, 2017 2:51 pm

Many consider prospects, even top prospects, as very risky and are happy to trade them for "proven players". They remember how LaPorta and Lawrie ended up being busts. They see Brinson struggle last month during his call up. They see that in baseball, unlike basketball, if you just make the playoffs you have a shot at a title.

I get all that. But there's no way I trade any decent prospect. At some point it may make sense to trade someone to fill in a gap. This year is not the time.
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
rarjake
Junior
And1: 44

Post#57 » by rarjake » Thu Jul 6, 2017 3:29 pm

No way Sterns will go all nuts and trade one of the top guys for a win now. It would be insane- considering we are not beating the Nats, its the playoffs its all about starting pitching. When the weather gets cooler- the HRS will start to go down, and we can"t match.

Brinson 30 or so atbats- shouldn't make a difference in how people view him as a prospect. Look at how Trout did his first call up. We even have an example on our team right now, look how Aricia has looked at the plate in his first 250 AB's or so. He looks like a future all star, MVP caliber SS with his defense and offense right now.

Side Note- its about time we move him up in the order.
Ryan5UW
General Manager
And1: 989

Post#58 » by Ryan5UW » Thu Jul 6, 2017 3:42 pm

Funny, I was talking with my dad last night and he's kind of in the same camp with the other dads. I understand the point of view - they're in first place, exciting to watch, maybe they really do have a chance at the playoffs this year. My counter argument to him was I'd rather see them miss the playoffs for another year or two and then field a team that has a legitimate chance at winning the world series. He was pretty insistent on trying to make a move for this season though too.

That probably describes a lot of the "casual, watches just about every game" fan out there. I'm torn, part of me wants to see them keep winning because it's fun, but I'm scared by what they might feel forced to do around the trade deadline if they're still in/close to first. I'm definitely in the camp of looking at things long term. That's why a pickup like Vogt was so great. If we can pick up a few pieces now and only trade lower end prospects, I can't complain about that.
"It's an illusion, Michael. A trick is something a whore does for money."
Kerb Hohl
RealGM
And1: 4,172
Location: Hmmmm...how many 1sts would Jason Richardson cost...?

Post#59 » by Kerb Hohl » Thu Jul 6, 2017 4:07 pm

I'm a bit torn given that one could argue that even when the prospects all get rolling, given that I think the Pirates still have a solid pipeline, the Reds are restocking, the Cubs will be a financial juggernaut for 5-10 years even with their struggles this year, and the Cards are still kinda the Cards...AND I'm still not convinced that we'll bring in great pitching from our minors system this could be one of our best chances, even if an extreme longshot.

All of that said - stay the course. I'd take a modest reliever pickup or someone where we just take on salary.
Thunder Muscle
RealGM

Post#60 » by Thunder Muscle » Thu Jul 6, 2017 4:30 pm

Kerb Hohl wrote:I'm a bit torn given that one could argue that even when the prospects all get rolling, given that I think the Pirates still have a solid pipeline, the Reds are restocking, the Cubs will be a financial juggernaut for 5-10 years even with their struggles this year, and the Cards are still kinda the Cards...AND I'm still not convinced that we'll bring in great pitching from our minors system this could be one of our best chances, even if an extreme longshot.

All of that said - stay the course. I'd take a modest reliever pickup or someone where we just take on salary.

Here's an insane one that I'll get rocks thrown at me for suggesting. If the Tigers got to the point of just offering up Verlander and whoever takes him just has to pay the contract...I'd take that over most other "buy" moves. Of course that is just something I'd do if Mark was so inclined to want to win now. I'd rather do something like that than sell the farm for Quintana.

Almost think the Tigers would maybe want to shed Zimmerman the way he is tossing this year and how much is left on that contract. That is a team that should blow it up. But I don't know if I want the Brewers to give up prospect AND take on a good chunk of that salary. I would rather bite on Verlander's salary too if it entails not having to give up much youth (or any).

But in the end, I'm conflicted too. I've been in the camp of lets enjoy the ride with what we have and see what happens. But then you look at the standings and the Wild Card is right there if you end up missing the division. Sooooo it is sure tempting b/c never know what the future may hold. I think you can help this year's team without mortgaging the future. I trust Stearns and the office.

Return to Milwaukee Brewers