ImageImage

Biggest surprise of the season so far?

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25, humanrefutation

What has been the biggest surprise of the season so far?

Jimmy Nelson
17%
Orlando Arcia
No votes
Josh Hader
No votes
Domingo Santana
No votes
The rotation
28%
Eric Thames
No votes
Travis Shaw
50%
Manny Pina
6%
Craig Counsell
No votes
Other- Comment below
No votes

Total votes: 18

Gianstoppable
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,630

Post#1 » by Gianstoppable » Sat Aug 5, 2017 1:58 pm

Overall I believe nobody can say this season hasn't been a surprise, but what to you has been the biggest surprise for this team?
#FreeChuckDiesel
Mr Roboto
Ballboy
And1: 2

Re: Biggest surprise of the season so far? 

Post#2 » by Mr Roboto » Sat Aug 5, 2017 2:53 pm

Everyone on the list has hit better than expected, but with the exception of Gurria the rotation has been better than expected including guys getting spot starts. Probably the biggest surprise to me has been Vilar, but even though not specified I think the idea here is pleasant surprises. I honestly had no expectations for pina, so he is close.
wichmae
RealGM
And1: 1,031

Post#3 » by wichmae » Sat Aug 5, 2017 2:57 pm

The easy answer is Travis Shaw. .917 OPS and a 3.7 WAR player. Only other person closely comparable is Nelson with how good theyve been basically all year long. People somewhat though Jimmy could be a #2. No one thought Shaw could anchor a lineup
JimmyTheKid
General Manager
And1: 5,136

Post#4 » by JimmyTheKid » Sat Aug 5, 2017 6:40 pm

Arcia for me. I honestly thought he'd be a trade candidate due to his bat and the fact that he wasn't a Stearns pick. He's been so fun to watch this year. Shaw is my runner up.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,664

Post#5 » by WeekapaugGroove » Sat Aug 5, 2017 9:58 pm

Shaw for me. I figured his power numbers would improve coming to Milwaukee but didn't think he would be this good overall.

Anderson would make my surprise list. Always thought he was trash and wasun favor of cutting him this spring lol.

Pina deserves a mention because he went from a 4A looking dude to a very solid contributor.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
Iheartfootball
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,178

Post#6 » by Iheartfootball » Sat Aug 5, 2017 11:11 pm

Shaw.

Stearns filled an area of need with the best player on the team. Amazing.

Arcia a close second. He's gonna be amazing. He's the next Braun caliber player for the org but better and without all the baggage (yet?).
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,664

Post#7 » by WeekapaugGroove » Sun Aug 6, 2017 3:01 am

I can't put arcia on my surprise list because he was such a highly regarded prospect. I would say the same to some extent with a guy like Santana who was a top 100 guy at one point too. I get that prospects bust all the time but these are the types that should and you need to be good.

Was just looking back at the predictions thread from preseason and there was a bunch of folks who had arcia as their disappointment pick so I guess these peeps are surprised.

Sent from my SM-G930V using RealGM mobile app
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
trwi7
RealGM
And1: 26,392

Post#8 » by trwi7 » Sun Aug 6, 2017 3:27 am

Jimmy Nelson has a better FIP and xFIP this year than Max Scherzer had last year. If you saw that coming, you're full of **** and/or should be immediately hired by an MLB front office.
stellation wrote:What's the difference between Gery Woelful and this glass of mineral water? The mineral water actually has a source."

I Hate Manure wrote:We look to be awful next season without Beasley.
Turk Nowitzki
RealGM
And1: 9,887

Post#9 » by Turk Nowitzki » Sun Aug 6, 2017 3:07 pm

Iheartfootball wrote:Arcia a close second. He's gonna be amazing. He's the next Braun caliber player for the org but better and without all the baggage (yet?).

:crazy: :crazy: :lol:

He'll never be half the hitter Braun was in his pirme. Defense at the SS position makes up for part of that gap but come on now.
BUCKnation
RealGM
And1: 2,954

Post#10 » by BUCKnation » Sun Aug 6, 2017 4:04 pm

Probably Shaw and Pina, only because they were kind of afterthoughts initially and now you cant have a lineup without them.
Sky Bucks
Sixth Man
And1: 1,357

Post#11 » by Sky Bucks » Sun Aug 6, 2017 4:18 pm

Has to be Jimmy. He went from a complete afterthought last year to being a bonafide ace.
#Make'em Believe On Wisconsin
Iheartfootball
Lead Assistant

Post#12 » by Iheartfootball » Sun Aug 6, 2017 7:02 pm

Turk Nowitzki wrote:
Iheartfootball wrote:Arcia a close second. He's gonna be amazing. He's the next Braun caliber player for the org but better and without all the baggage (yet?).

He'll never be half the hitter Braun was in his pirme. Defense at the SS position makes up for part of that gap but come on now.

I hear you and I thought about that. I just think there is more to it than just hitting. It's more nuanced. He's great at defense, from everything I've read a tireless worker, and great teammate.

I could be wrong and in the end it's subjective but I really love watching him play. More than I ever did watching Braun. And I think Braun is tits. Kids still use that phrase or just my old man?

*Edit* Arcia turns double plays like in his sleep. He's nearly automatic. Also, the harder it is to turn the better chance than average that he turns or helps to turn it.
Gianstoppable
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,630

Post#13 » by Gianstoppable » Sun Aug 6, 2017 9:15 pm

Iheartfootball wrote:
Turk Nowitzki wrote:

I hear you and I thought about that. I just think there is more to it than just hitting. It's more nuanced. He's great at defense, from everything I've read a tireless worker, and great teammate.

I could be wrong and in the end it's subjective but I really love watching him play. More than I ever did watching Braun. And I think Braun is tits. Kids still use that phrase or just my old man?

*Edit* Arcia turns double plays like in his sleep. He's nearly automatic. Also, the harder it is to turn the better chance than average that he turns or helps to turn it.

If Arcia has a season like Segura had last year offensively (which nobody thought Segura was capable of really) he would be a better player than Braun just because of his defense. Braun has always been around an average defender and an elite hitter but Arcia is an elite fielder at the most important defensive position and he's an average hitter. Now that said Arcia would need a year where he hit like .290/.370/.480 or more and I don't know if he could do that with consistency.

At least we know he will always be a great defender.
#FreeChuckDiesel
Iheartfootball
Lead Assistant

Post#14 » by Iheartfootball » Sun Aug 6, 2017 9:39 pm

I gotta say I completely forgot about Nelson. Credit to Trwily.

He is number one with a bullet.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
blazza18
RealGM
And1: 26,623

Post#15 » by blazza18 » Sun Aug 6, 2017 10:24 pm

Arcia has some great flashy plays but I don't think he's close to being elite yet. Or maybe I'm just wrong.
Baddy Chuck wrote:I want to win but I also love chaos.
coolhandluke121
RealGM
And1: 6,849

Post#16 » by coolhandluke121 » Sun Aug 6, 2017 11:06 pm

The rotation shouldn't be a category by itself, but if it is, it should be the easy winner. Nelson and Anderson could each arguably win this vote on their own. Throw in Garza and Suter and it should be a slam dunk.
Wut we've got here is... faaailure... to communakate.
WiscSports1
Bench Warmer
And1: 499

Post#17 » by WiscSports1 » Sun Aug 6, 2017 11:31 pm

I think it's the rotation and I don't think it's close.

Shaw has really surprised me, but who saw Nelson and Andersen emerging like they have? Suter out of nowhere? Garza being serviceable? (I was hoping they would cut him in ST, never been a fan) Davies really starting to hit his stride. Even with Guerra struggling, they have been fantastic.

If I had to pick one, it's Nelson. He is quietly becoming the pitcher we had all hoped for.
El Duderino
RealGM
And1: 1,324

Post#18 » by El Duderino » Mon Aug 7, 2017 12:00 am

coolhandluke121 wrote:The rotation shouldn't be a category by itself, but if it is, it should be the easy winner. Nelson and Anderson could each arguably win this vote on their own. Throw in Garza and Suter and it should be a slam dunk.

Yep

The pitching in general. Fifth in the NL for team ERA, even ahead of Washington. That's crazy.

Had the offense not gone into a deep freeze since the All-Star break, the Brewers are in first base. They are getting fabulous pitching, but aren't taking enough advantage of it because the offense is only scoring 1-2 runs consistently. It's been 10 games since we've scored five runs or more. In those 10 games we've only scored 22 runs. During that earlier 7 game losing streak on the road, we only scored 12 runs. Ugg.
Iheartfootball
Lead Assistant

Post#19 » by Iheartfootball » Mon Aug 7, 2017 1:05 am

blazza18 wrote:Arcia has some great flashy plays but I don't think he's close to being elite yet. Or maybe I'm just wrong.

No. Not yet. But soon. You can just see it. He's got IT.

Return to Milwaukee Brewers