ImageImage

Brewers acquire Neil Walker from Mets

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25, humanrefutation

tski1972
Head Coach
And1: 3,598

Re: Brewers acquire Neil Walker from Mets 

Post#21 » by tski1972 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:14 pm

Suter to 10 day (rotator cuff strain), Blazek DFA'd.
http://twitter.com/MarkIsOld

"Because of Giannis, the once lousy Bucks are back in the NBA conversation." - 60 Minutes
El Duderino
RealGM
And1: 1,324

Post#22 » by El Duderino » Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:21 pm

wichmae wrote:Someone will have to be DFA'd so with giving up a later named prospect we also will lose probably Sogard. He has an option remaining but has over 5 years of service time and can decline any MiLB assignment. Meaning he's probably going to be DFA'd. On top of that Walker has been injured and not very good overall. Just a dumb move to make now.

I'll be shocked if the PTBL ends up being anything more than a nobody prospect. This was a cash dump by the Mets and Attanasio is going to make a fortune this year regardless if the Brewers pay around a million or two of what Walker is owed.

Probably ends up being a nothing move given we won't win the division, but i don't see this as anything to get upset over since all it does is eat up a tiny fraction of the many millions Attanasio will make off this season and he won't be taking playing time away from a young prospect either.
coolhandluke121
RealGM
And1: 6,847

Post#23 » by coolhandluke121 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:51 pm

Looking at his recent history, I don't think Walker is washed up yet and I'm expecting him to hit close to his career norms now that he's healthy again. Get some regression to the mean from the rest of the offense and you've still got a puncher's chance. It all comes down to the PTBNL of course, but it's worth Blazek's roster spot and the money they spent.
Wut we've got here is... faaailure... to communakate.
Outlander
Junior
And1: 68

Post#24 » by Outlander » Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:40 pm

There is really no reason for anybody to be upset with this trade, it is likely a nothing prospect for Walker and not your money. The Pujols comparison is ridiculous since this is a rental and then he is gone. Would have liked the trade a couple of weeks ago since they are still in playoff contention and 2B was a black hole. They thought so little of Blazek that he was DFA already this year and didn't do much to warrant a 40 man spot in the off season. Shouldn't be hard to keep Sogard until the September roster expansion with so many days off and the ability to send down somebody else or put on the DL like Suter for 10 days.
wichmae
RealGM
And1: 1,031

Post#25 » by wichmae » Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:50 pm

The Pujols point was trying to base current value off past achievements. Not sure how thats ridiculous.
tski1972
Head Coach
And1: 3,598

Post#26 » by tski1972 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:09 pm

wichmae wrote:The Pujols point was trying to base current value off past achievements. Not sure how thats ridiculous.

its ridiculous because they aren't the same type of player at all and Pujols has played nearly twice as many seasons. Go check Walkers numbers, they are as consistent as consistent can be over his whole career.
http://twitter.com/MarkIsOld

"Because of Giannis, the once lousy Bucks are back in the NBA conversation." - 60 Minutes
coolhandluke121
RealGM

Post#27 » by coolhandluke121 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:15 pm

wichmae wrote:The Pujols point was trying to base current value off past achievements. Not sure how thats ridiculous.

Walker was OPS'ing .820 when he got hurt in June and understandably fell to .750 while working his way back from that. I know you didn't make the Pujols comparison based on him being a terrible investment financially, but the implication that he's way past his prime like Pujols is kind of ridiculous. He's going to be a pretty noticeable upgrade in all likelihood. I have a lot of confidence in him.

This reminds of me of 2014 when I wanted to get Zobrist. The Brewers were in first by a lot but it was obviously they desperately needed another reliable left-handed bat and someone who could play multiple positions. Zobrist was having a bit of a down year and everyone here was saying he was done, which was extremely premature. We all like young prospects and building for the future, but you're probably guilty of a "cult of the young" mentality if you can't see why getting Walker when you're 2 games out of first place in the middle of August is probably a decent move. It's one of the only positions they could upgrade significantly without giving up anything of consequence, and they did so. That's cool.

*I thought it was bad at first too, but I was only aware of his season stats and not how he had a big slump coming back from the hamstring injury, which is a mitigating circumstance. That totally changed my mind, assuming the PTBNL is a Wilkerson type or whatever.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM
And1: 4,171
Location: Hmmmm...how many 1sts would Jason Richardson cost...?

Post#28 » by Kerb Hohl » Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:24 pm

Even though I think the team is left for dead, I'll go on record of not caring about this move as "it's not my money" unless the prospect given up ends up being significant.

I'd also consider overpaying him to take a 1-2 year contract to stay. I doubt he does that, though, as this may be his final chance to cash in on a longer deal.

He had a great season last year so with health, I think he will be pretty good again the rest of the way.

Also, my god, I love the 10-day DL and baseball injury shuffling in general. Suter's "injury" is very convenient to string us to September when the rosters expand.
El Duderino
RealGM
And1: 1,324

Post#29 » by El Duderino » Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:13 pm

Kerb Hohl wrote:Even though I think the team is left for dead, I'll go on record of not caring about this move as "it's not my money" unless the prospect given up ends up being significant.

I can't imagine the Mets receiving anything more than a fringe prospect for 1.5 months of Walker.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM

Post#30 » by Kerb Hohl » Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:17 pm

Right. I highly doubt it will be a significant prospect, but it's possible given that a little bit of Walker's salary is being paid by the Mets that maybe it's someone that isn't a bag of baseballs.

But yeah, I doubt it'll be anyone too significant.
mlloyd10
General Manager
And1: 854

Post#31 » by mlloyd10 » Mon Aug 28, 2017 3:32 pm

8-4
Kerb Hohl
RealGM

Post#32 » by Kerb Hohl » Mon Aug 28, 2017 4:01 pm

mlloyd10 wrote:8-4

We've found the guy that loves listening to the warm and fuzzy announcer cliches.
mlloyd10
General Manager

Post#33 » by mlloyd10 » Mon Aug 28, 2017 4:04 pm

Kerb Hohl wrote:
mlloyd10 wrote:8-4

We've found the guy that loves listening to the warm and fuzzy announcer cliches.

You do know why im doing that right?
coolhandluke121
RealGM

Post#34 » by coolhandluke121 » Mon Aug 28, 2017 5:37 pm

Veteran presence.
wichmae
RealGM
And1: 1,031

Post#35 » by wichmae » Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:37 pm

23 yr old high A pitcher Eric Hanhold sent to Mets to complete this trade. Former 6th round pick and has struggled before this season
http://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx?playerid=sa658986&position=P
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,663

Post#36 » by WeekapaugGroove » Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:53 pm

wichmae wrote:23 yr old high A pitcher Eric Hanhold sent to Mets to complete this trade. Former 6th round pick and has struggled before this season

Seems like about the right price for Walker. Not a complete non-prospect but also not someone that is a major loss to the brewers organization.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
mlloyd10
General Manager

Post#37 » by mlloyd10 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:19 am

wichmae wrote:23 yr old high A pitcher Eric Hanhold sent to Mets to complete this trade. Former 6th round pick and has struggled before this season

I can't believe we gave up so much for Walker
coolhandluke121
RealGM

Post#38 » by coolhandluke121 » Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:46 pm

Now 19-11 since the trade. Walker with an .894 OPS as a Brewer. Pretty much a slam dunk. No way you're getting him on a 2-year deal unless he really wants to be a Brewer. He got 1/$17.2m because he had season-ending back surgery last year, but he had just one totally unrelated injury this year and he's had a typical Neil Walker season other than that. I'd easily repeat the same contract he has now, but he'll get a better deal.
mlloyd10
General Manager

Post#39 » by mlloyd10 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:43 pm

coolhandluke121 wrote:Now 19-11 since the trade. Walker with an .894 OPS as a Brewer. Pretty much a slam dunk. No way you're getting him on a 2-year deal unless he really wants to be a Brewer. He got 1/$17.2m because he had season-ending back surgery last year, but he had just one totally unrelated injury this year and he's had a typical Neil Walker season other than that. I'd easily repeat the same contract he has now, but he'll get a better deal.

Thats my job :D
coolhandluke121
RealGM

Post#40 » by coolhandluke121 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:46 pm

I bet he gets something like 4/$60m with a $4m buy-out in the last year.

Return to Milwaukee Brewers